Need GPU/PSU Suggestion

puneet87

Broken In
I want to upgrade GPU for my computer. Details are:

CPU: AMD X2 5200+ running @ 2.7 Ghz
MOBO: ASUS M2N68-AM (It has PCIe x16 1.0 support only)
RAM: 2X2 GB DDR2 800
HDD: 320 GB SATA II
PSU: A 280 watts some AC-BEL power supply from my friend's lenovo desktop. (Have uploaded pic for ratings of it.)

Display: Dell IN1909 18.5"@1366x768 pixels
GPU: Nvidia 9500GS

My system is never overclocked.

My budget is 5-6k for the GPU and separate budget upto 2k for PSU if it needs upgradation.

I have shortlisted:

1. ATI 5670 1GB DDR5 SAPPHIRE @ 4150 INR
2. ATI 6670 1GB DDR5 SAPHHIRE @ 4800 INR
3. ATI 6770 1GB DDR5 SAPPHIRE @ 6090 INR
(prices are from *www.costtocost.in/list/pricelist.pdf but I may buy from where I get better deal)

Which one should I go for? I wanna play modern games like Crysis2, GTA4, Bioshock3 etc at moderate settings and 1366x768 resolution only. Do I really need 1 GB GPU memory for this resolution or a 512MB card will do?

Will my system bottleneck? Since these cards are PCIe x16 2.0 based and my system only supports PCIe x16 1.0 and is 2 years old.
Do I Also need to upgrade my PSU? Also I will be using the same monitor at the same resolution.

Kindly help me people. I will be buying from Nehru Place (Delhi), next week or so. If possible, please also advise me which vendor should I go for.

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
Which one should I go for? I wanna play modern games like Crysis2, GTA4, Bioshock3 etc at moderate settings and 1366x768 resolution only. Do I really need 1 GB GPU memory for this resolution or a 512MB card will do?

go with above suggestion.

Will my system bottleneck? Since these cards are PCIe x16 2.0 based and my system only supports PCIe x16 1.0 and is 2 years old.

yes. GPU is quite a bit fast & your processor is old. but get the faster GPU as if you upgrade processor later, GPU upgrade won't be needed.

PCIe 1.0 bandwidth is enough for this card.

If possible, please also advise me which vendor should I go for.

SMC International.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
@ puneet87 - the gfx cards should work fine but make sure you have the latest bios version installed for your mobo just to be safe ;-)

ssb1551

Technomancer
@ puneet87 - Even I agree with d6bmg's suggestion!! My only concern is none of the online stores like theitwares, smcinternational.in quote a 6770 at that low a price. The lowest I came across was a Sapphire 6770 for 6.6k. Are you sure you'll get a 6770 for 6.1k, as quoted by you???

OP
P

puneet87

Broken In
Gpu: 6770 1gb;
psu: Fsp saga ii 500w

Thanks for suggestion, I was also at the point of finalizing 6770 as my new GPU. Now regarding my PSU query, I have been constantly researching too. Will a Corsair CX430 V2 be a bad choice? I got a quote for it for 2.2k INR.

OP
P

puneet87

Broken In
@ puneet87 - the gfx cards should work fine but make sure you have the latest bios version installed for your mobo just to be safe ;-)

Thanks for reminding but it seems like they haven't released any more latest bios for my motherboard, I have the latest bios flashed.

OP
P

puneet87

Broken In
@ puneet87 - Even I agree with d6bmg's suggestion!! My only concern is none of the online stores like theitwares, smcinternational.in quote a 6770 at that low a price. The lowest I came across was a Sapphire 6770 for 6.6k. Are you sure you'll get a 6770 for 6.1k, as quoted by you???

Well yes, you may check the link. I have purchased some components from this shop in the past as well. I won't be buying online either.

saswat23

Human Spambot
Yes, Corsair CX-430v2 at 2.2k is a very good choice. FSP SAGAII-500W would have been a better choice since it has more wattage than the CX-430v2.
But for ur config, the CX-430v2 will be enough. So, go for any of these two PSU. Get the one which is easily available.

Cilus

laborare est orare
puneet87, I've just checked the pricelist you've provided. Really the prices of the Graphics cards & LCD displays are far cheaper compared to the other online sites.
Since you have the experience to buy from them, could you shade some more lights about the process of purchasing from them..both Online and Offline?

ssb1551

Technomancer
^^You just took the words from my mouth!! I was gonna ask him the same thing. 6770 is really cheap at that place. May be I can get one for my friend!!

Even after adding 4% VAT the price of 6770 comes upto 6.3k only!! Thats a sweet deal!! I hope there is no catch!!

OP
P

puneet87

Broken In
Yes, Corsair CX-430v2 at 2.2k is a very good choice. FSP SAGAII-500W would have been a better choice since it has more wattage than the CX-430v2.
But for ur config, the CX-430v2 will be enough. So, go for any of these two PSU. Get the one which is easily available.

Alright, I am finally getting a Corsair CX-430v2. Thank you for clearing my confusion.

OP
P

puneet87

Broken In
puneet87, I've just checked the pricelist you've provided. Really the prices of the Graphics cards & LCD displays are far cheaper compared to the other online sites.
Since you have the experience to buy from them, could you shade some more lights about the process of purchasing from them..both Online and Offline?

They don't seem to sell online. Only possible way to buy from them is offline, also they provide a bill with TIN number on it so its completely legit buy from them. The specs I have described in the thread is bought from them, and no problems yet. I also bought 2 netbooks and a canon LBP 2900B printer from them. Everything is working fine till date.

OP
P

puneet87

Broken In
No, CX430 V2 is also a good choice in your case. ;) Buy what you think as better value for money.

Thank you :smile: now, regarding GPU brand, should I get a MSI R6770-MD1GD5 or SAPPHIRE HD 6770 1GB GDDR5 ? There is just a 100 rs difference in price but significant difference in specs. MSI seems to provide better build quality whereas Sapphire is providing better clock rates in both memory and GPU. I am a bit confused here.

saswat23

Human Spambot
Could you just give a link of the sapphire card (from sapphire's website) that is available in the shop??
And MSi card too.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thank you :smile: now, regarding GPU brand, should I get a MSI R6770-MD1GD5 or SAPPHIRE HD 6770 1GB GDDR5 ? There is just a 100 rs difference in price but significant difference in specs. MSI seems to provide better build quality whereas Sapphire is providing better clock rates in both memory and GPU. I am a bit confused here.

try to get MSI HD6770 Twin Frozr II ;-)

OP
P

puneet87

Broken In
Could you just give a link of the sapphire card (from sapphire's website) that is available in the shop??
And MSi card too.

Sapphire: Sapphire Technology Web Site

MSI: *www.msi.com/product/vga/R6770-MD1GD5.html#?div=Specification

The sapphire card seems better in terms of clock speed. Please help me out in choosing between the two.

OP
P

puneet87

Broken In
try to get MSI HD6770 Twin Frozr II ;-)

I see, but this card may be exceeding my budget. While it is similiar to the sapphire one in terms of specs, it seems like this card is meant for overclocking. And I aint really into the overclock thing. Is it really worth considering the MSI HD6770 Twin Frozr II for my needs?

saswat23

Human Spambot
Sapphire: Sapphire Technology Web Site

MSI: *www.msi.com/product/vga/R6770-MD1GD5.html#?div=Specification

The sapphire card seems better in terms of clock speed. Please help me out in choosing between the two.

If these are the two cards then go with the Sapphire one, looks much better and has better Clock Speed too.
But if you can get the MSI R6770 Twin FrozrII or its OCed edition then its a better option.

Top Bottom