Need External HDD with HDMI Port.

d6bmg

BMG ftw!!
Yes, your friend is right.
USB3.0 external casing/docking station costs around 1.5-3K. Considering that fact the price is quite good!

Cilus

laborare est orare
AFAIK, most of the LCD TVs with USB ports can't decode movie formats having 6 or 8 channel DTS audio. For that you need a HDD based Media Player. Most of the Bluray rips downloaded from Internet do come with 6 channel DTS audio which might need to be converted into 2 channel audio or 6 channel AC3 audio to be played properly.

OP
ajayritik

ajayritik

Technomancer
AFAIK, most of the LCD TVs with USB ports can't decode movie formats having 6 or 8 channel DTS audio. For that you need a HDD based Media Player. Most of the Bluray rips downloaded from Internet do come with 6 channel DTS audio which might need to be converted into 2 channel audio or 6 channel AC3 audio to be played properly.

How can I check these technical details in the rips? Any suggestions?
I opted for Samsung TV over Sony since Samsung could play more formats compared to Sony hence save me from investing on a Media player atleast for sometime.

But looks like I would still need a HDD Media player.

S_V

In the zone
@Ajay

For your Topic Question.. There's no HDMI port for External Casing HDD and

Second... When plugging USB devices and Playing directly from TV, you will not have any problems and yes of course the quality will be good But the Colors will not be upto the mark compared to When Playing through Blu-Ray Players or through PC HDMI or DVI (Ofcourse with little enhancements ) .With PC, in Players enabling Shaders will bring your movies more Colorful but still with good Natural Colors.

Example... If you use TotalMediaTheater or PowerDVD, especially TotalmediaTheater brings Movies into life than through TV USB's. It brings awesome Black Levels and Contrast which looks 2x times better than playing directly from TV USB's. Sometimes not all the Blu-Ray MoVies will have reasonable Noise. Especially Recently released MoVie "The Awakening" does have very Bad Noise Pixels and With PowerDVD options such as Noise Reduction you can Bring Decent Quality. Also through Media PLayer Classic you can enable Shaders especially 16-235 -> 0-255 [SD][HD] and see the Black Level Difference on and off. With Simple Shortcut you can on and off while playing Movie. Similarly you can add more shaders and bring your Old Videos to life.....
These are the main advantages you can get playing through PC than compared to USB plugging... It's not that through USB you will Loose Quality.. But Once you are used to these Players and watching through USB is like "you can't watch it anymore".
Also get the most of the Quality from High End HDTV's is what I am saying overall.

This feedBack is coming from the Guy who Watched Lots, lots of MoVees through PC and USB in HD Displays...

Rest it's all on you to Choose depending on the usage and Flexibility suits you.......

How can I check these technical details in the rips? Any suggestions?
I opted for Samsung TV over Sony since Samsung could play more formats compared to Sony hence save me from investing on a Media player atleast for sometime.

But looks like I would still need a HDD Media player.

You can still Play all the Formats without HDD Media Player through your TV. When you are not using External Home Theater you don't have to worry about Sound Channels Becoz with TV Crap speakers you can't expect them to sound Awesome.

Last edited:

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
@S_V,not all brands supports all formats.LG didn't paid the royalty for using DTS so its TV's can't play DTS audio(except korea region where it has an agreement to provide DTS passthrough support).DTS technology is licensed so only companies which pay the licensing fees can use it in their products.samsung has support for regular DTS(not sure about passthrough or direct playback) as it paid the licensing fees but not DTS-HD i think which will require additional payment.

S_V

In the zone
@Whitestar

I am talking about his Model only..... and I don't mean all the Brands. Read his statement again about samsung and Sony difference.. so I meant to say his TV can play all the Formats....

OP
ajayritik

ajayritik

Technomancer
I'm really sorry for you but kill them who suggested sandisk. Its the worst pen drive. For god sake change it.

Well I'm still trying to search for those folks. Will try to do that pretty soon!
And also it was really bad on my part to check with the shop guys. I had the below options

Sandisk
Kingston
Transcend.

I know for sure that Corsair is a good brand. Can you give me more inputs on Transcend Jet Flash and Corsair. I may buy another one pretty soon which supports USB 3.0

Top Bottom