Need advice on Configuration/All Round Performance PC

newhere

Broken In
1. What is the purpose of the computer? What all applications and games are you going to run?

Ans:No gaming needs, some amount of Video and Image editing. HD Video and good quality music playback. Maybe a few Statistical Packages like Matlab, Mathematica, SAS, R etc.

2. What is your overall budget? If you can extend a bit for a more balanced configuration, then mention this too.
Ans: 35000 to 45000 excluding Monitor, Keyboard and Mouse. Would need a good UPS as well.

3. Planning to overclock?
Ans:Nope

4. Which Operating System are you planning to use?
Ans:Windows 7 64 bit /32 bit. Would prefer installing an alternate OS (Used to find a 2 OS system to troubleshoot viruses etc. about 4-5 years back;)

5. How much hard drive space is needed?
Ans:1 Tb. Would be willing to spend some additional amount on a SSD for OS and applications in addition to standard HDD

6. Do you want to buy a monitor? If yes, please mention which screen size and resolution do you want. If you already have a monitor and want to reuse it, again mention the size and resolution of monitor you have.
Ans:I have a Dell S2240L monitor

7. Which components you DON'T want to buy or which components you already have and plan on reusing?
Ans:Monitor, Keyboard and Mouse

8. When are you planning to buy the system?
Ans: Mid April

9. Have you ever built a desktop before or will this be done by an assembler?
Ans:Never built a Desktop before. Done some amount of hardware troubleshooting about 7-8 years back;) Would want to assemble by myself.

10. Where do you live? Are you buying locally? Are you open to buying stuff from online shops if you don't get locally?
Ans: Bangalore (S.P. Road). Open/prefer online buying provided pricing is right

11. Anything else which you would like to say?
Ans: If the stated budget is a constraint, I might be able to stretch it by 5-10k

rijinpk1

Aspiring Novelist
i5 4570 - 13k
asus b85m g - 6.3k / gigabyte b85m d3h - 5.5k
kingston hyperx blu 4gb x 2 - 5.6k / corsair vengeance /gskill ripjawsx which ever cheaper
hd 7790 - 9.3k
wd blue 1tb - 3.8k
samsung 840 pro 128gb ssd - 9k
asus odd- 1k
antec vp450p -2.7k /antec vp550p - 3.5k / seasonic s2ii 520 -4.5k
cooler master n300 -3.3k
apc 600va ups - 2.3k

OP
N

newhere

Broken In
Thank You very much rijinpk1 !

Since my knowledge on current PC/computing technology can at best be rated POOR, what are the limitations and upsides of this configuration?I would be really grateful if someone could take time out and help me understand this better.

What kind of upgrades/future proofing does this config provide me?

RAM
I am trying to understand the technology here... Most recommendations i see are 4GB x 2. Is such a config better than 8GB? Why so?

GPU/Display
How important is a GPU for light/medium video/image editing? From bare specifications I believe the mobo doesnt support HDMI Output and the GPU supports. So if I need a HDMI out i need the GPU for sure. Is that right?

Prices on flipkart are much higher for each component than suggested by you. I guess I will have to head to SP Road? Anyone recommends any particular shop on SP Road?

- - - Updated - - -

GPU/Display
How important is a GPU for light/medium video/image editing? From bare specifications I believe the mobo doesnt support HDMI Output and the GPU supports. So if I need a HDMI out i need the GPU for sure. Is that right?

Apparently the Motherboard (Gigabyte GA-B85-D3H Motherboard) does have HDMI Output port. Does this mean I may not need a graphics card if I am not doing much video editing and just need image editing and HDMI playback?

I was wondering if going for the Gigabyte H87M-D3H Motherboard with the H87 Chipset is a slightly better choice although at an additional cost of about 1.2k as I read that the B85 chipset is better for / targeted towards business desktops?

OP
N

newhere

Broken In
GPU/Display

that depends on the apps you may use. some use cuda alone which is supported by only nvidia gpus. anyhow most apps now use open cl acceleration where an amd gpu will have an advantage due to its superior open cl performance.

Apparently the Motherboard (Gigabyte GA-B85-D3H Motherboard) does have HDMI Output port. Does this mean I may not need a graphics card for now if I am not doing much video editing and just need image editing and HDMI playback?

I can probably add a Graphics card as and when my video editing needs grow.Could you help me on this? My video editing needs are limited and may or may not exist in the future;) I would like to keep the configuration future proof to some extent though

I was wondering if going for the Gigabyte H87M-D3H Motherboard (Newer chipset, more USB Ports, 3.0 in particular) with the H87 Chipset is a slightly better choice at an additional cost of about 1.2k as I read that the B85 chipset is targeted towards business desktops?

rijinpk1

Aspiring Novelist
Thank You very much rijinpk1 !

Since my knowledge on current PC/computing technology can at best be rated POOR, what are the limitations and upsides of this configuration?I would be really grateful if someone could take time out and help me understand this better.

What kind of upgrades/future proofing does this config provide me?

RAM
I am trying to understand the technology here... Most recommendations i see are 4GB x 2. Is such a config better than 8GB? Why so?
welcome ;)
if you are getting, two 4gb sticks instead of single 8gb stick, you can use the ram in dual channel configuration which improves the overall performance a little bit higher than a single channel. memory intensive applications will see even more improvement. if you think you will need more ram(professional video editing or so ), get a single 8gb stick and add one later. your board supports maximum of 32gb ram. else go for two 4gb sticks.

GPU/Display

that depends on the apps you may use. some use cuda alone which is supported by only nvidia gpus. anyhow most apps now use open cl acceleration where an amd gpu will have an advantage due to its superior open cl performance.
Prices on flipkart are much higher for each component than suggested by you. I guess I will have to head to SP Road? Anyone recommends any particular shop on SP Road?

visit ankit infotech. flipkart is mostly overpriced.

- - - Updated - - -

Apparently the Motherboard (Gigabyte GA-B85-D3H Motherboard) does have HDMI Output port. Does this mean I may not need a graphics card if I am not doing much video editing and just need image editing and HDMI playback?

then you are fine without gpu. save some cash.
I was wondering if going for the Gigabyte H87M-D3H Motherboard with the H87 Chipset is a slightly better choice although at an additional cost of about 1.2k as I read that the B85 chipset is better for / targeted towards business desktops?

h87 is better than b85 chipset.you can go for it. there is nothing like B85 chipset is better for / targeted towards business desktops.

OP
N

newhere

Broken In
Is there any motherboard that you recommend with H87 chipset + Wi-fi + Bluetooth?

Thanks in Advance!

Last edited:

Cilus

laborare est orare
There are some Zotac mini atx boards available but the price will be higher. You can buy some Wifi dongles from brands like Asus, TPLink within Rs 700.

rijinpk1

Aspiring Novelist
Is there any motherboard that you recommend with H87 chipset + Wi-fi + Bluetooth?

Thanks in Advance!

gigabyte GA-H87N-WIFI. although it is recommended to buy separate adapters rather than going with those costly mobo as suggested by cilus.

OP
N

newhere

Broken In
There are some Zotac mini atx boards available but the price will be higher. You can buy some Wifi dongles from brands like Asus, TPLink within Rs 700.
Thank You Cilus. Any suggestions for bluetooth?

gigabyte GA-H87N-WIFI. although it is recommended to buy separate adapters rather than going with those costly mobo as suggested by cilus.
How costly does this motherboard work out to? I was unable to find reliable prices in INR for this?

rijinpk1

Aspiring Novelist
Thank You Cilus. Any suggestions for bluetooth?

How costly does this motherboard work out to? I was unable to find reliable prices in INR for this?

you may have to import which incurs additional cost. ask in local pc shops first.

OP
N

newhere

Broken In
Last time I asked for advice on this here,I could not go ahead and buy my system. Could any of you be kind and go through my requirements and suggest a configuration that I can buy this week from SP Road, Bangalore or Online? Is there any movement in hardware prices? Or are they expected to?

1. What is the purpose of the computer? What all applications and games are you going to run?

Ans:
1.No gaming needs
2. Some amount of Video, amateur photography/Image editing
3. HD Video and good quality music playback
4. A few Statistical Packages like Matlab, Mathematica, SAS, R etc. some of these can use multithreading/CUDA/OpenCL capabilities. I am not sure which do though.

2. What is your overall budget? If you can extend a bit for a more balanced configuration, then mention this too.
Ans: 40k excluding Monitor, Keyboard and Mouse. Would need a good UPS as well.

3. Planning to overclock?
Ans:Nope

4. Which Operating System are you planning to use?
Ans:Windows 7 64 bit /32 bit. Would prefer installing an alternate OS

5. How much hard drive space is needed?
Ans:1 Tb. Looking for a 128GB SSD for OS and applications in addition to standard HDD

6. Do you want to buy a monitor? If yes, please mention which screen size and resolution do you want. If you already have a monitor and want to reuse it, again mention the size and resolution of monitor you have.
Ans:I have a Dell S2240L monitor

7. Which components you DON'T want to buy or which components you already have and plan on reusing?
Ans:Monitor

8. When are you planning to buy the system?
Ans: This week (June 1st Week, 2014)

9. Have you ever built a desktop before or will this be done by an assembler?
Ans:Never built a Desktop before. Done some amount of hardware troubleshooting. Want to assemble by myself.

10. Where do you live? Are you buying locally? Are you open to buying stuff from online shops if you don't get locally?
Ans: Bangalore (S.P. Road). Open/prefer online buying provided pricing is right

11. Anything else which you would like to say?
Ans: I am looking for an Intel Build and keen to avoid a GPU if feasible(provided Onboard Intel Graphics will serve my purpose). Looking at at i5+H87 processor+mobo combination. Need a HDMI Out and a VGA out port to match my Dell S2240L.
Please also provide me options where I can spend best an additional 5k in addition to my budgeted 40k
If online prices are within 1% of local market price, I wouldn't mind buying online via convenience of credit card

Last edited:

mastercool8695

Cyborg Agent
The configuration suggested by [MENTION=135617]rijinpk1[/MENTION] is good and is still one of the best you can get now.
The new generation of Processors are soon to be released by Intel, so if you want to wait for the newer ones, you may wait.
however, the rig suggested before by [MENTION=135617]rijinpk1[/MENTION] is really good and serve you right .
dont waste your money on Wifi- included motherboards, you can get USB Wifi and Bluetooth Adapters of brands like TP Link, ASUS etc. as [MENTION=68896]Cilus[/MENTION] suggested.
also, if you think about doing much video and image editing, buy a 8 GB RAM stick now and buy another one later (to be used as 2x8 GB Dual channel) as Video and Image Rendering depends on the amount of available RAM you have.

AFAIK, the integrated graphics are enough for your needs unless you plan on serious Video and Image Editing.

OP
N

newhere

Broken In
I have finalized on the following components. The prices quoted below are my best options online.
Are these in line with local market prices? Can you please post the best possible prices for these components?

Intel i5 4570 13200
gigabyte b85 d3h 5450
Kingston hyperx blu 4gbx2
Samsung 840 Pro 128GB 8000
wd blue 1 TB 3899
Antec vp550p 3368
Asus ODD
Cooler Master n300 3200
Dell s 2240l 8500
APC 600VA UPS 2600

Also does the configuration seem right/good? especially the power supply/ups combination?

rijinpk1

Aspiring Novelist
mobo available for 5.2k on snapdeal. also have a look at AOC i2269vwm and AOC i2369vm monitors. the configuration is good.

OP
N

newhere

Broken In
what about local market? Do i stand a chance to get better prices?

AOC seems to be slightly more costlier. What additional advantages will this give me?

- - - Updated - - -

Intel i5 4570 processor 13350 snapdeal

b85 gigabyte 5202 snapdeal

kingston 8gbx1 4534.68 snapdeal

wd blue 1tb 3845 amazon.in

Samsung pro 840 128gb 8020 snapdeal/Flipkart/primeabgb

antec vp550p 3368 snapdeal

cooler master n300 3250 smcinternational

dell s2240l 8500 snapdeal

APC-BX600CI-IN Backup Power Supply 2620 snapdeal

Last Minute advice?

Last edited:

rijinpk1

Aspiring Novelist
prices are good. you will get ups cheaper.
AOC is better. it is not glossy and comes with all the cables like hdmi,dvi etc(i2369vm version. not sure of the other).AOC uses better ips technology called AH-IPS and has lower refresh rate than dell s2240l. you can inquire in local shops.anyway those prices are not bad either.

OP
N

newhere

Broken In
[MENTION=135617]rijinpk1[/MENTION] Thanks a lot for all the help... ( I need some more help! let me say hand holding)
I will try and see if my budget allows the perks of an AOC monitor

Intel i5 4570- snapdeal lists 3 separate items. I don't see a difference between them. Can you spot any?

Intel 3.2 GHz LGA1150 4570 i5 4th Generation Processor - Buy Processor Online @ Best Price on Snapdeal.com
Intel 3.2 GHz LGA1150 4570 i5 4th Generation Processor - Buy Processor Online @ Best Price on Snapdeal.com

Similarly for RAM, Kingston HyperX DDR3 8 GB (1 x 8 GB) PC RAM (KHX1600C10D3B1/8G) is what I am going with.I am foregoing the dual channel benefits of 4GBx2. Also this is Hyper X and NOT Hyper X blu. Pardon the ignorance, is this a difference to worry about?

For this there are 4 items listed on Snapdeal. Aren't they the same?

Kingston HyperX DDR3 8 GB (1 x 8 GB) PC RAM (KHX1600C10D3B1/8G) - Buy RAM Online @ Best Price on Snapdeal.com
Kingston HyperX DDR3 8 GB (1 x 8 GB) PC RAM (KHX1600C10D3B1/8G) - Buy RAM Online @ Best Price on Snapdeal.com
*www.snapdeal.com/product/kingston-hyperx-ddr3-8-gb/380985320
*www.snapdeal.com/product/kingston-hyperx-ddr3-8-gb/669278068

rijinpk1

Aspiring Novelist
it is the same i5 4570. different sellers and hence different quotes.
the picture shows blue color and hence it should be blue. but dont trust them. the picture may be false. there is also a red one. dont worry .both are same except the color. get the cheapest of them.

bssunilreddy

Chosen of the Omnissiah
what about local market? Do i stand a chance to get better prices?

AOC seems to be slightly more costlier. What additional advantages will this give me?

- - - Updated - - -

Samsung pro 840 128gb 8020 snapdeal/Flipkart/primeabgb

Last Minute advice?

Samsung 840 EVO 250gb 10020 flipkart/onlyssd

Total -55,763.68

2kool2btrue

In the zone
^^ this! you will see no difference between an EVO and pro. I have had an awesome experience with both and its hard to tell the difference in real life. Even the benchmarks are pretty close after the latest firmwares. :) for a 1000-1500 bucks more a 250GB EVO is a much more value buy than a 128gb PRO.

Top Bottom