Need Advice for buying New GPU

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jaskanwar Singh

Aspiring Novelist
end of Q2 or beginning Q3 2011.
AMD Set to Introduce Radeon HD 7000 Southern Islands in Q2 2011, Rumor Has it - Softpedia

its going to be 28nm.

do you know guys amd initially planned 6970 and 6950 on 32nm fab process? they were going to be much more powerful. but due to some TSMC problems in their 32nm node they had to shift it to 40nm and had to give up a lot. thus these cards were not as powerful as we expected them to be. sad for amd. but lets see what happens next.

amd doesnt disclose all those features as thay have kept them as secret for 28nm fab process. but the initial cayman would have had more simd engines(thus more powerful), pcie 3.0 functionality and other secrets. they had to be cut to stop the die size from further increase.

but ithe happy you go ahead with 6950 or 560. :-D. no need to wait. as tech keeps on forwarding a person will never be able to buy a thing. :-D

Last edited:

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
After that nvidia will launch KEPLER which is a completely new architecture and it would also be based on 28nm. It will be twice or three times more powerful than current FERMI.

They probably will be GTX 6 series.

Then after that MAXWELL and the cycle goes on.

Jaskanwar Singh

Aspiring Novelist
^^yup kepler from nvidia. but AFAIK amd will touch 28nm first. who knows whats going to be how much powerful and what not. we will see when they launch.

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
^^ That was a quote from nvidia themselves. There is no doubt that atleast they will outdo their previous architecture by a big margin. Thats how it always happens.:smile:

OP
ithehappy

ithehappy

Human Spambot
end of Q2 or beginning Q3 2011.
AMD Set to Introduce Radeon HD 7000 Southern Islands in Q2 2011, Rumor Has it - Softpedia
Thanks for the info.
they 'were going' to be much more powerful.
They have to change it to 'have gone' and remove 'to be':))
but ithe happy you go ahead with 6950 or 560. :-D. no need to wait. as tech keeps on forwarding a person will never be able to buy a thing. :-D
Yes, definitely. Besides I don't like to wait at all :)
After that nvidia will launch KEPLER which is a completely new architecture and it would also be based on 28nm. It will be twice or three times more powerful than current FERMI.

They probably will be GTX 6 series.
6 series? Hmm..
^^yup kepler from nvidia. but AFAIK amd will touch 28nm first. who knows whats going to be how much powerful and what not. we will see when they launch.
How a size of a GPU matters it's performance?

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
As far as i know, a larger silicon die will have more area and will pack more no. of transistors. But the 45nm, 32nm and 28nm fab means the size of a single transistor. If size gets smaller, power requirements also gets smaller and more no. of transistors are packed on the die which is directly proportional to performance.

So a 28nm fab based gpu die will perform better and will be more efficient than a 40nm fab gpu die. This is my understanding.

OP
ithehappy

ithehappy

Human Spambot
As far as i know, a larger silicon die will have more area and will pack more no. of transistors. But the 45nm, 32nm and 28nm fab means the size of a single transistor. If size gets smaller, power requirements also gets smaller and more no. of transistors are packed on the die which is directly proportional to performance.

So a 28nm fab based gpu die will perform better and will be more efficient than a 40nm fab gpu die. This is my understanding.
Thanks Vicky.

Ok, read the Guru3d comparison between the two cards, here is what I think,
1- 6950 wins in almost every game compared to GTX560 in case for FPS. Though it is not much, 4-6 FPS in an average at Full HD, which I think is not that much important.

2- 6950's Power Consumption is LESS, though not much. US$53 vs US$ 48 for GTX560/year.

3- GTX560 at Full Load goes up to 68°C whereas 6950 goes up to 79°C. Hmm, running 11°C hotter is bad.

4- GTX560 has a lot more Overclocking potential than 6950's.. But I won't be OC'ing manually!

5- It's basically a Neck to Neck to fight between the two cards, but for me GTX560 wins, but VERY MARGINALLY without taking the PhysX and Better Tessellation into account.
So at the end of the day, I think I am going towards the GTX560, though 6950 is still have a place to scratch my brain :), especially it's Rs.1k lesser than the GTX560 :))

[All the above opinions I made after giving my 30 mins time to the review, as I said before, I am an amatuer in this PC stuff, so there may be some wrong things I've said, so please pardon me for that.]

Regards,
Saurav.

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
^^ Well you read the stock gtx 560 comparison. What we suggested you is a factory overclocked gtx560 FROM MSI and out of the box, it gave same fps as a 6950 2gb and sometimes a tad better..

Check HERE.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
Any news on the availability of Asus GTX 560 Direct Cu TOP on the shops ? I think that would be a better choice for OP if he wants to get a GTX560

@ ithehappy - No doubt HD6950 heats up more than GTX560 but if you use same type of cooler the temp difference 5C.

*legitreviews.com/images/news/2011/6950-1gb.jpg

IF anyone wishes to get a HD6950 just make sure you don't get the card with Stock cooler - they runs Hot. Cards with custom cooler like Sapphire HD6950 1GB runs cooler comapred to stock one.

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
@ topgear

Msi is pretty well priced imo and equally comparable to Asus direct cu top gtx 560. Nothing to differentiate between them in performance out of the box.

No luck yet about the pricing of asus gtx 560 direct cu top. If priced less than 16k, it would be an absolute blast of a deal.

But currently Msi gtx 560 twin frozr II oozes value.

OP
ithehappy

ithehappy

Human Spambot
Any news on the availability of Asus GTX 560 Direct Cu TOP on the shops ? I think that would be a better choice for OP if he wants to get a GTX560

@ ithehappy - No doubt HD6950 heats up more than GTX560 but if you use same type of cooler the temp difference 5C.

Thanks TG for suggesting a Cooler, but I don't wanna use a Cooler for GPU :), and I will consider the suggested 6950 brand with Custom cooler if I plan to buy it, but the chance is less :)
and about the ASUS GTX560, when will it be available?

^^ Well you read the stock gtx 560 comparison. What we suggested you is a factory overclocked gtx560 FROM MSI and out of the box, it gave same fps as a 6950 2gb and sometimes a tad better..

Check HERE.

Yep, I knew. Thanks for putting the link anyway.
The OC'ed MSI GTX560 definitely running at same par with 6950 2GB, sometimes even better. and What I liked more that the Temperature is even lower @59°C compared to normal GTX560 at full load.

Last edited:

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
^^ Hey buddy - I was not talking about some after market cooler - I wanted to say when a GTX560 and HD6950 use same type of cooler the temp difference between them is 5C.

I was talking about HD6950 Twin Frozr and GTX560 Twin Frozr - they have same cooler but HD6950 heats a little bit more.

Jaskanwar Singh

Aspiring Novelist
hehehe you people ought to see this. -

Bench - GPU11 - AnandTech :: Your Source for Hardware Analysis and News

there goes your temperature complaints. furmark - same temp. and crysis - 4c more for 6950 1gb. idle is at 38 for 6950 1gb and 28 for 560ti. but this isnt at all harmful.

Last edited:
OP
ithehappy

ithehappy

Human Spambot
^^ Hey buddy - I was not talking about some after market cooler - I wanted to say when a GTX560 and HD6950 use same type of cooler the temp difference between them is 5C.

I was talking about HD6950 Twin Frozr and GTX560 Twin Frozr - they have same cooler but HD6950 heats a little bit more.
Ok, got it.

there goes your temperature complaints. furmark - same temp. and crysis - 4c more for 6950 1gb. idle is at 38 for 6950 1gb and 28 for 560ti. but this isnt at all harmful.

Hmm, it's a total 50-50 out there. I wondered to see Battleforge's benchmark! 6950=23 and 560=75.5. Jeez.
Ma just waiting for the 560 to come here in Kolkata stores....

vickybat

I am the night...I am...

We are talking about factory overclocked gtx 560's here jas. The stock benchmarks hardly matter. Furmark benches do not depict a clear picture in real world cases. When you extremely overclock your card and stress it out, it will reach furmark levels of power consumption and temperatures at stock. And overclocking the 6950 will make it even hotter than 560 cause its already hot. Its not that big a concern though but cooler temperatures are always welcome for similar performance. Gives more overclocking headroom. Maybe this is the reason we are seeing more factory overclocked 560's than 6950 and even oc upto 1ghz is possible as some board manufacturers like gigabyte has already proved that.

Offtopic- Jas, i have overclocked my 5750 to 800mhz and 1210mhz from 700mhz and 1150mhz for core and memory clocks respectively. My temps are maxing out at 72c when playing crysis at very high and gives 28-30fps at 1600x900. In other games like battlefield bc2, its maxing at 66c. So i am well within safe limits and hats off to my custom asus cooler and its actually much cooler than a refference 5750. Believe me jas, i think i am reaching the performance of a 5770:-D now and i can go upto 870mhz too.

This shows how a custom cooler can do a world of good and even increase a gpu's efficiency.

Msi 6950 twin frozr II is a 2gb variant. Its priced atleast 2k more than twin frozr 560 and is not worth it imo unless you game at 2560x1600 or higher resolutions.

Last edited:

Jaskanwar Singh

Aspiring Novelist
^I talking of temps. And sapphire has a good cooler so temps arent a worry.

---------- Post added at 02:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:51 PM ----------

that bench shows same furmark temp and u say its hot. !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom