Need Advice for buying New GPU

Status
Not open for further replies.

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
Re: Need Advice's for buying New GPU

^^ Grab the MSI N560GTX-TI Twin Frozr II/OC. Its a steal at that price imo. Everybody expected it to be 16k-17k as its factory overclocked but it has launched at a much cheaper price.

abirthedevil

In the zone

+1 for MSI N560GTX-TI Twin Frozr II/OC, the zotac 560 costs more than msi has reference specs and also has a bad cooler, it runs at 90 degrees when under load, MSI has all things going for it

OP
ithehappy

ithehappy

Human Spambot

Thanks Vicky and abirthdevil. I am going for the MSI N560GTX-Ti Twin Frozr II/OC then. Let's see when the stores have it, if it's too late or bad pricing then I will go with SMC :)

PS- Guys what about this one? This is OC'ed too,
*www.evga.com/products/moreInfo.asp?pn=01G-P3-1563-AR&family=GeForce 500 Series Family&sw=

Is it better than the MSI Twin Frozr or not?

Last edited:

Jaskanwar Singh

Aspiring Novelist

actually ithehappy i see that you are thinking the 'factory oced 560' are better. but my dear friend it is that factory oc that allows 560 to perform close to 6950 1GB. since you are buying a gpu sometimess try to take out a little time for seeing reviews. no offense here buddy but you ought to.

see these -
Radeon HD 6950 1GB vs GeForce GTX 560 Ti review
MSI N560GTX Ti Twin Frozer II review

you will see after twin frozr 560 which is factory oced matches a 6950 1gb stock. (6950 2gb and 1gb are equal in performance)
see more taxing games like metro 2033 and crysis warhead.
(avoid farcry 2 which is biased)

now you will also want to see that multi gpu scaling of a 6950 1gb is much better.
Radeon HD 6950 CrossfireX review
sometimes 2x thee performance. impressive? yes.

and then dont be limited to 2-3 opinions. explore the internet and take its advantage.
Zotac 560Ti or 6870 or 6950 1GB?

and the best is 6950 2GB. lot of them are being unlocked to 6970 2GB now a days. get one from HIS. order online. higher chances of safe unlocking. its at 17k~. another option i gave you.

i anit asking you to go for a 6950 1gb and not 560. its your choice. but do take all factors in mind.

some people will say tessalation but 6950 1gb is very good at that especially at medium set. and tessalation is a very long way to become a norm.
some will argue that you can oc 560 further. but then you can oc 6950 1gb also further. and that sapphire one has a after market cooler. and they will say oced 560 performs better. but the clocks on the net were 560 was at 970 and 6950 at 820 :razz: and 6950 gave full compition to it. and no one will like to burn their card by ocing it to extreme levels.
now if you want physx then 560ti.

vickybat

I am the night...I am...

^^ Clocks of different architectures cannot be matched and compared. AMD is following ILP while nvidia is going TLP way. They are different and have different core and shader clocks. 6950 performs best at those clocks so it gets those while factory overclocked 560's give better performance at higher clocks. Thats why we have more factory overclocked gtx 560's than 6950 1gb because it affects more of the former's performance and responds better. I have heard many say as the gtx 560 being an underclocked card.

Btw msi twin frozr II GTx 560 is 870mhz and not 970 mhz and it is compared with a 820 mhz 6950 in that review. Out of the box, msi twin frozr II gtx 560 is equal in performance with a 6950 1gb. So its absolutely safe to go with either cards without any heating issue.

@ ithehappy

The 560 twin frozr II runs cooler while 6950 1 gb consumes a bit less power. Their performance is equal. But in 560 , you get physx and 3d and better tesselation as additional options. 6950 can also do 3d but the options are very scarce and is at its infancy whereas nvidia is much more mature.

Since both the performances are equal at full hd resolutions( 1920x 1080) my recommendation is the msi twin frozr II GTX 560.

Last edited:
OP
ithehappy

ithehappy

Human Spambot

actually ithehappy i see that you are thinking the 'factory oced 560' are better. but my dear friend it is that factory oc that allows 560 to perform close to 6950 1GB. since you are buying a gpu sometimess try to take out a little time for seeing reviews. no offense here buddy but you ought to.
Sir, it's not me who want Factory OC'ed GPU, you guys have told me to get, especially Vicky. That's why I was thinking of it. Actually I really have short time to see the Reviews, but you said I ought to, and I accept that. You are right. :)
see these -
Radeon HD 6950 1GB vs GeForce GTX 560 Ti review
MSI N560GTX Ti Twin Frozer II review
Will see this comparison later.
you will see after twin frozr 560 which is factory oced matches a 6950 1gb stock. (6950 2gb and 1gb are equal in performance)
see more taxing games like metro 2033 and crysis warhead.
(avoid farcry 2 which is biased)

now you will also want to see that multi gpu scaling of a 6950 1gb is much better.
Radeon HD 6950 CrossfireX review
sometimes 2x thee performance. impressive? yes.
Okay, point taken, +1 to 6950 then.

and the best is 6950 2GB. lot of them are being unlocked to 6970 2GB now a days. get one from HIS. order online. higher chances of safe unlocking. its at 17k~. another option i gave you.
Okay, taken this too.

i anit asking you to go for a 6950 1gb and not 560. its your choice. but do take all factors in mind.
I will :)

some people will say tessalation but 6950 1gb is very good at that especially at medium set. and tessalation is a very long way to become a norm.
some will argue that you can oc 560 further. but then you can oc 6950 1gb also further. and that sapphire one has a after market cooler. and they will say oced 560 performs better. but the clocks on the net were 560 was at 970 and 6950 at 820 :razz: and 6950 gave full compition to it. and no one will like to burn their card by ocing it to extreme levels.
now if you want physx then 560ti.
Yea I want PhysX for sure but for PhysX only I won't give up 6950. :)
[You had two spelling mistake, underlined them :)]

@ ithehappy

The 560 twin frozr II runs cooler while 6950 1 gb consumes a bit less power. Their performance is equal. But in 560 , you get physx and 3d as additional options. 6950 can also do 3d but the options are very scarce and is at its infancy whereas nvidia is much more mature.

Since both the performances are equal at full hd resolutions( 1920x 1080) my recommendation is the msi twin frozr II GTX 560.

I am not that much worried about the Power consumption unless the difference is big. If a 6950's and GTX560's performance are same, then anyone will get the 560 as an additional thing called PhysX, running a GPU cool under full load is a good thing too. :). and Thanks for your straight forward answer.
@both Jas and Vicky, Thank you guys.
Now I will see the Reviews at night and will decided one. :)

Last edited:

Jaskanwar Singh

Aspiring Novelist

i was waiting for your reply. :)

^^ Clocks of different architectures cannot be matched and compared. AMD is following ILP while nvidia is going TLP way. They are different and have different core and shader clocks. 6950 performs best at those clocks so it gets those while factory overclocked 560's give better performance at higher clocks. Thats why we have more factory overclocked gtx 560's than 6950 1gb because it affects more of the former's performance and responds better. I have heard many say as the gtx 560 being an underclocked card.

those people say 560 is underclocked to hide its lower performance than 6950 1gb. i talking of stock. nvidia will have some reasons to clock it that way. no offence but this is what i feel.

Btw msi twin frozr II GTx 560 is 870mhz and not 970 mhz and it is compared with a 820 mhz 6950 in that review. Out of the box, msi twin frozr II gtx 560 is equal in performance with a 6950 1gb. So its absolutely safe to go with either cards without any heating issue.

i said its equal in performance :)
and i was talking of oced review there.

The 560 twin frozr II runs cooler while 6950 1 gb consumes a bit less power. Their performance is equal. But in 560 , you get physx and 3d and better tesselation as additional options. 6950 can also do 3d but the options are very scarce and is at its infancy whereas nvidia is much more mature.

I mentioned about tessalation before. and physx i agree is a plus point. i said it before. and the plus point of 6950 is its better crossfire performance and the performance at stock. another was better medium set tessalation but leave that as no use.

@ithehappy

you got my point. now you to decide.

i make lot of spelling mistakes now a days. :-(

Last edited:

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
In a nutshell:

6950 1gb = Factory overclocked gtx 560( Except gigabyte gtx 560 as this card is unmatched) at same price point.

6950 pros: Better crossfire performance with anti aliasing on. Has eyefinity and performs well at 5760 x 1200 across three or more monitors for a xfire config. Consumes relatively bit less power. Offers 3d but options are scarce and is lacking support both in terms of 3d hardware and software. Has good overclocking headroom.

Factory oced GTX 560 pros: Offers great performance at 1920 x 1080 resolutions. Has better tesselation performance (Nvidia cards have better tesselation performance than amd cards this generation). Offers physx support. Offers 3d which is very mature in nvidia platform and 3d hardware and software support is excellent. Options for a 3d surround setup with 3 3d monitors with a 560 sli are possible too. Runs relatively cooler and has therefore more overclocking headroom.

Last edited:

Jaskanwar Singh

Aspiring Novelist
^^rght but even the 6950 1gb offers equal performance at 1920x1080. comparing to oc 560.

and tessalation is long way to become a norm and amd 6950 better at medium set. and 560 at high.

OP
ithehappy

ithehappy

Human Spambot

i said its equal in performance :)
I mentioned about tessalation before. and physx i agree is a plus point. i said it before. and the plus point of 6950 is its better crossfire performance and the performance at stock. another was better medium set tessalation but leave that as no use.

So, +2 for GTX560 (PhysX & Tessellation)
+1 for 6950 (better CF) @Stock

OP
ithehappy

ithehappy

Human Spambot
In a nutshell:

6950 1gb = Factory overclocked gtx 560( Except gigabyte gtx 560 as this card is unmatched) at same price point.
+1 to 6950.

[B said:
6950 pros:[/B] Better crossfire performance with anti aliasing on. Has eyefinity and performs well at 5760 x 1200 across three or more monitors for a xfire config. Consumes relatively bit less power. Offers 3d but options are scarce and is lacking support both in terms of 3d hardware and software. Has good overclocking headroom.
+3 to 6950
(+1 for Better CF, +1 for AA, -1 for 3D options, +1 to OC headroom and +1 for Less Power Hungry)
[B said:
Factory oced GTX 560 pros[/B]: Offers great performance at 1920 x 1080 resolutions. Has better tesselation performance (Nvidia cards have better tesselation performance than amd cards this generation). Offers physx support. Offers 3d which is very mature in nvidia platform and 3d hardware and software support is excellent. Options for a 3d surround setup with 3 3d monitors with a 560 sli are possible too. Runs relatively cooler and has therefore more overclocking headroom.
+4 to GTX560
+1 for Tessellation, +1 for PhysX, +1 for 3D, +1 for Less heat, +1 for More OC!, -1 for More Power hungry.
Oh, I won't be using 1920*1080 for some days though. :)

Now please gimme a straight answer,
Is a 6950 CF at stock performs better than a GTX560 SLI at stock or not?

Last edited:

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
Stock 6950cf performs better than a stock gtx 560 sli but not that much difference. Factory overclocked gtx 560 sli will bridge the gap between itself and 6950cf and difference is negligible at full hd resolutions. At Ultra high resolutions such a 2560 x 1600 , 6950 cf performs better.

The card we have mentioned ( Msi twin frozr II GTX 560 ) is a factory overclocked gtx 560 and is priced same as a stock gtx 560 and a 6950 1gb.

Last edited:

Jaskanwar Singh

Aspiring Novelist
it performas better. thats what we were saying now.

and 6950 should be +3 there :-D

P.S.actually amd hd3d has just started. so not a mature thing right now. i want something like physx from amd and everything leveled up. then we can solely compare performance. hope something willl be there. just my opinions.

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
^^ Thats because he gave a -1 to lack of proper 3d options in a 6950.:smile: But should be +1 for being a bit less power hungry.So u are right, it should be +3.

OP
ithehappy

ithehappy

Human Spambot
Stock 6950cf performs better than a stock gtx 560 sli but not that much difference. Factory overclocked gtx 560 sli will bridge the gap between itself and 6950cf and difference is negligible at full hd resolutions. At Ultra high resolutions such a 2560 x 1600 , 6950 cf performs better.

The card we have mentioned ( Msi twin frozr II GTX 560 ) is a factory overclocked gtx 560 and is priced same as a stock gtx 560 and a 6950 1gb.
Thanks for the clarification. :)
Anyway, I will never play at 2560*1600.

it performas better. thats what we were saying now.

and 6950 should be +3 there :-D

P.S.actually amd hd3d has just started. so not a mature thing right now. i want something like physx from amd and everything leveled up. then we can solely compare performance. hope something willl be there. just my opinions.

Is it really? I think PhysX and Modified and Polished Tessellation both needed for AMD GPU's and mature 3D too to level up with Nvidia. Now this is just imo.

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
^^ Yes amd requires all those. Atleast more better tesselation performance and much more 3d support. The next gen of cards should be good at these.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom