Need advice for a new LGA 775 motherboard

Naxal

Little Kid
Hello all,

This is my first posting so I apologies for any mistake done or if anything is not as per rule in my post.

I need advice from experts here about selecting a motherboard.

My present PC almost or rather more than 5 years old and the motherboard I was using has died recently, since its out of warranty so I tried couple of times of fixing it from local repair shops but results are not satisfactory hence I am in need to replace it. I dont have a huge budget so I am looking for a cost effecting value for money option without compromising performance.

My present configuration is,

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 2.4 GHz / 1066 MHz / 8 MB L2 / Socket LGA 775
Motherboard XFX 650i Ultra
XFX 9600 GT Graphics Card
Corsair 2 x 2GB DDR-II 800 MHz RAM
LG DVD RW PATA
PS2 Keyboard

Now I am looking for a motherboard to replace the motherboard at around a budget of 3500 / 3700 which will be able to run my rest of the config satisfactory !!

Waiting for some valuable suggestions !!

Thanks.

sukesh1090

Adam young
welcome to TDF buddy,
here are my suggestions,
Gigabyte GA-G41MT-S2 Motherboard | Motherboard | Flipkart.com

MSI G41M-P26 LGA 775 Intel G41 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard

ASUS P5G41T-M LX3 LGA 775 Intel G41 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard
there is not much difference in these boards.you can go with msi one for your current config but it has pci e slot of v1.0,which is actually more than enough for your current system but if you can spend then i will suggest you to go with the gigabyte one it has v2.0 pci e slot.

saswat23

Human Spambot
None other than this board: Gigabyte GA-G41M-Combo Motherboard | Motherboard | Flipkart.com
Has both DDR2 and DDR3 RAM support so you can use your current DDR2 RAM till you feel the need of DDR3.

OP
N

Naxal

Little Kid
Thanks for the reply.

welcome to TDF buddy,

Thank you.

I think the grfx card I have is a PCI-E 2.0 card, hence I need a 2.0 slot and interface.

Has both DDR2 and DDR3 RAM support so you can use your current DDR2 RAM till you feel the need of DDR3.

How well this Q6600 processor is going to do with DDR3 interface ??

Secondly, any alternate of Gagabyte in similar config motherboard, since I wish to purchase from local store hence I need option as not always all the models are with dealer ??

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
don't worry about pci-e version of the mobo and gfx card - they are backward compatible with each other and other than gigabyte you can get ASUS P5G41T-M LX @ ~2.8k and Q6600 will go well with DDr3 ram.

OP
N

Naxal

Little Kid
Thanks for the reply.

don't worry about pci-e version of the mobo and gfx card - they are backward compatible with each other

but running a 2.0 card in 1.0 interface wont compromise the performance ??

other than gigabyte you can get ASUS P5G41T-M LX

Sorry but ASUS option you have mentioned is not showing support for DDR2 RAMs what I have. Can you please point me to any available board with DDR2 support or board like Gigabyte with supporting both ??

As of now, it seems my only option, which is presently in sale (at least in website) is that Gigabyte :(

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
there will be no performance difference if you use a pci-e 2.0 ( the one you have ) gfx card in a mobo with pci-e 1.0 slot.

and getting a DDr2 LGA 775 mobo from Asus will be really tough - right now GA-G41M Combo is your only bet if you want to use DDR2 ram.

sukesh1090

Adam young
@op,
buddy leave your local seller and buy it from flipkart.it is the only mobo you can get with all the features.and for warranty you have to send it to service center only not to your local seller(if you are buying from him) or not even flipkart.don't worry its safe and it is 2012 now everything is online business except buying vegetables ;-)

OP
N

Naxal

Little Kid
@op,
buddy leave your local seller and buy it from flipkart.it is the only mobo you can get with all the features.and for warranty you have to send it to service center only not to your local seller(if you are buying from him) or not even flipkart.don't worry its safe and it is 2012 now everything is online business except buying vegetables ;-)

Thanks for your suggestion..

I like buying from local store since I dont have take the device for warranty claim my self as the local reseller does it for me. It is easy and convenient for me.

Now since it seems the only option for me is the Gigabyte board so if I dont get it locally then there will be no option than ordering it from Online. :(

panwala95

In the zone
you can try these-
Gigabyte GA-G41M-Combo Motherboard | Motherboard | Flipkart.com

OP
N

Naxal

Little Kid
you can try these-
Gigabyte GA-G41M-Combo Motherboard | Motherboard | Flipkart.com

Thanks for the reply,

But GA-41MT-S2 is not meeting my requirement since it is not having DDR2 RAM support, only option for me seems the GA-G41M-Combo having both RAM support !!

My present Corsiar DDR2 RAMs are running ok so I dont want to spend extra on DDR3 RAMs.

OP
N

Naxal

Little Kid
I went through the specs and this board is having VIA Audio chip compare to Realtake used in all other models.. Will this be any issue since I have never used VIA so I am having doubt if I would be able to use my creative 5.1 audio setup natively with this VIA based audio chip ?

Realtek in Windows 7 is breeze to setup and run with Native support for 5.1. Will this VIA be the same ?

Some one please put some light in it.

Also is there any option from Intel Original boards ? How are they compare to Gigabyte model ? Intel seems to be cheaper option than Gigabyte and it supports DDR2 RAMs.

I found Intel DG41RQ1 listed at Rs. 2800 compare to 3100 of Gigabyte in Flipkart

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
^^ I've experience with ViA audio chip though using headphones and they produce decent quality audio output If don't want to OC the cpu ever then you can Opt for the Intel DG41RQ.

saswat23

Human Spambot
But IMO Gigabyte is a better choice. Earlier G41 combo too was selling for 2.8k at fk, may be it became a hot seller so they increased its price.

OP
N

Naxal

Little Kid
^^ I've experience with ViA audio chip though using headphones and they produce decent quality audio output If don't want to OC the cpu ever then you can Opt for the Intel DG41RQ.

Option for OC is a welcome feature as in time to time I do get it run at higher clock speed but after reading your thread in Complain about Gigabyte Kolkata support, I am ready to sacrifice OC ability for a better support since I am buying a legacy product with 3 year warranty.

I have dealt with Intel Support previously and they are way better than what you have written about Gigabyte so I was wondering that too.

But IMO Gigabyte is a better choice. Earlier G41 combo too was selling for 2.8k at fk, may be it became a hot seller so they increased its price.

Thanks for the info,

I would try in local market today to see if I can get a lower price quote from there or not.

One more question, This G41 Combo supports USB booting ??

CyberKID

In search for Tech Gyan!
IMO, getting a hands on experience with the RMA procedures helps a lot in going a long way with computers. Most of the times, it's a good experience, but, sometimes, it may not be that good, but IMO, one should have it atleast once. Atleast, you're not tied up with your local reseller/assembler to do the RMA's for you. You have the freedom to get it done whenever the need arises.

Last edited:
Top Bottom