Need advice for a new LGA 775 motherboard

OP
N

Naxal

Little Kid
Most of the times, it's a good experience

What I can make out from the thread in Complain, is that the issue came with replacement model not in their inventory and for me that thread is pretty serious issue since I am buy a product which is in a legacy platform so after two years, I wonder what would be the warranty process and their response with it.

I have had far better experiences with Intel and warranty of their legacy products, so I was now wondering to leave OC ability and opt for the Intel model or should I go for the Gigabyte !!

CyberKID

In search for Tech Gyan!
As far as warranty is concerned, rest assured. These brands don't abandon their products. If it's stated 3 years it means 3 years! The company is liable to provide you warranty for 3 years and this has been mandated by law. In case the company is unable to provide you service for a particular product that they have stopped producing, they are liable to give you replacement with a product equivalent to your current one. So, no worries. Go ahead with the purchase whatever model you like, and I suppose there's no question of sacrificing anything.
I did almost more than half system overhaul last month. all the components in my siggy, except, the processor, and hdd's have been changed. Working up keeping future upgradability works well. I did it (somewhat). and would suggest you to do this too. Get yourself a a DDR3 supporting mobo, and ask your local reseller if he could give you DDR3 RAM stick in exchange of your DDR2 ones.

OP
N

Naxal

Little Kid
CyberKid said:
and would suggest you to do this too. Get yourself a a DDR3 supporting mobo, and ask your local reseller if he could give you DDR3 RAM stick in exchange of your DDR2 ones.

I like your suggestion..

Will it worth to swap these performance DDR2 from corsiar with low end brand DDR3 modules ?

My RAMs are out of warranty so will they be a straight forward trade ? Please put some light on present selling price of DDR2 RAMs in market..

I have few questions about the G41 Combo,

• Will it support USB booting ?
  • Will it support Windows XP, all drivers should support Win XP.

CyberKID

In search for Tech Gyan!
This suggestion came out of one of the AMC guy of my company. When I was searching a mobo for my P4 proccy, I asked him, and in return came a response that since there's no new mobo available with LGA775 socket and DDR RAM, so he offered to swap my 1.5 GB DDR 400 Mhz RAM for a 2GB DDR3 1333 Mhz, and I pressed on Kingston and he agreed. Thinking of getting a 4 GB stick adding some money with the 1.5 GB DDR RAMs I have (which are out of warranty).
As they say in a TataSky commercial: "POOCHNE MEIN KYA JATA HAI". I'll suggest you ask your local reseller/assembler. Else, you could also try selling yours here on in the Bazaar Section.

And as far as your G41 mobo goes, It does support USB Boot. My MSI G41M-P26, I recently bought from Flipkart does, so should yours.
And yes. It supports Windows XP. The Windows XP support issue was just with the Core i series of processors and later.

As far as the current trend of DDR2 RAM pricing is concerned, a new DDR2 2GB stick costs ~1500 bucks each. So, I think you might fetch close to 1.5-1.8K for your 2 DDR2 sticks. I think you should ask your question in this thread, and people there might give you the right answers.

OP
N

Naxal

Little Kid
Thanks for the reply..

Thank you all for the help. I have placed the order for the Gigabyte G41 Combo.. Since I find flipkart is been used by so many here, I thought of trying it out and placed the order via them.

It seems as per their invoice, I would have to wait till 14th August till they ship it.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
^^ Congrats but I think you should have opted for a DDr3 motherboard and DDr3 ram modules like CyberKID has suggested so that you don't face any RMA issue hearing the "obsolete" excuse.

CyberKID

In search for Tech Gyan!
Congrats! Naxal.
@ Topgear: I suppose the Gigabyte G41 combo he's talking about supports both, DDR2 as well as DDR3.

CyberKID

In search for Tech Gyan!
^ Can't say why. The time I got my laptop with Core i5, I tried installing Windows XP SP3, succeeded in that too, but for some reason, it didn't respond well. When googled, I came to know that there's no native SATA support in Windows XP, and had to integrate some SATA driver from Microsoft Site into the Windows XP SP3 Boot disk, but, still it didn't respond well, so had to remove it.

OP
N

Naxal

Little Kid
^^ Congrats but I think you should have opted for a DDr3 motherboard and DDr3 ram modules like CyberKID has suggested so that you don't face any RMA issue hearing the "obsolete" excuse.

As already pointed,

CyberKid said:
@ Topgear: I suppose the Gigabyte G41 combo he's talking about supports both, DDR2 as well as DDR3.

Its having support for both.

I am thinking about shifting if I get a good price for these RAMs else I will continue to run with DDR2, these RAMs are excellent OverClocker also :D

Windows XP

Most of the Legacy Apps I have do go well with XP Mode under Windows 7 however ever legacy users, :p like my father prefers the legacy OS, so I have keep it under dual boot. Hence Windows XP support is a must.

FlipKart

They are quite slow in processing it seems, order was placed yesterday noon, but they are yet to even dispatch it.

*i46.tinypic.com/11rt3x5.jpg

CyberKID

In search for Tech Gyan!
^ I think there are some problems with Flipkart shipping in the WB. As far as Flipkart's is concerned, their shipping, packaging and customer care are always top notch, and not to mention their prices too.

OP
N

Naxal

Little Kid
^ I think there are some problems with Flipkart shipping in the WB. As far as Flipkart's is concerned, their shipping, packaging and customer care are always top notch, and not to mention their prices too.

I see men dressed in black with FlipKart when in their cloth and black big bags with FlipKart written all over with motorcycle zipping through neighborhood all the time..

FlipKart has their own delivery system or what ??

Earlier I didn't pay attention to those delivery boys but later they caught my attention.

A friend said if I would have chosen COD instead of Credit Card, these companies would have sent it faster to collect their money.. Dont know how true is this myth !!

CyberKID

In search for Tech Gyan!
Yes, just to do away with the delay in transportation, Flipkart chose to get a delivery service of their own. And, don't worry about your money. It's just safe. What will they do with 3000 odd rupees, when they have their millions of business, and no one would like to keep that at stake. There are hundreds of people doing transactions with Flipkart on a daily, I myself have done about a dozen, and believe me, their delivery and services is simply awesome, irrespective of whether you've paid or not.

Go to motherboard BIOS and change AHCI to IDE or compatibility mode

Sorry can't do that coz this is a laptop with no IDE. Moreover since now, I'm using my laptop in Dual Boot with bundled Windows 7 Home Basic + Windows 8 CP, there's no need for that. Anyways thanks for the suggestion.

OP
N

Naxal

Little Kid
CyberKid said:
What will they do with 3000 odd rupees, when they have their millions of business, and no one would like to keep that at stake.

I am not worried about fraud rather I expressed my lack of patience on their delay in dispatch.

The order was placed on Friday noon, where their system is showing possible dispatch date as Sunday, and with their business day policy, I dont think it would be dispatched on Sunday at all..

It takes them two full business days process order and get it dispatched (mind you, I am not talking about delivery, rather dispatching it at least) !!

:hammer:

CyberKID

In search for Tech Gyan!
^ AFAIK, Flipkart doesn't have any business day policy. I've received shipment on sundays as well as holidays too.
The order was placed on Friday noon

Buddy, that was friday noon and today is just saturday. You're being too impatient.

OP
N

Naxal

Little Kid
^ AFAIK, Flipkart doesn't have any business day policy. I've received shipment on sundays as well as holidays too.

I found this in their FAQ,

FlipKart said:
How is delivery time determined?
We procure and ship the items within the time specified on the item details page. Some items have to be imported from outside India. These items are sometimes mentioned as "Imported" on the item details page and can take 10 or more days to reach you. For all areas serviced by reputed couriers the delivery time will be 2 to 4 business days. For other areas, orders will be sent by Registered Post through the Indian Postal Service which may take one to two weeks depending on the location. Business days exclude public holidays and Sundays.

They are not going to work in Sunday and in public holiday.

That's fine, but its something they too know, so I felt negligency in not shipping it Friday or even Saturday itself.

Buddy, that was friday noon and today is just saturday. You're being too impatient.

Perhaps, but as I am used to pay and take home policy of local store, waiting and watching they also seating idle for my order at least and with my PC being dead, I am getting impatient.

OP
N

Naxal

Little Kid
You need a lot of patience buddy :p. Moreover you are in WB so you need to have the most patience.

Looking at the FlipKart watch thread here, they have set such a high standard for them self, it actually sets the expectation pretty high. Compare to that, processing time being taken 2 full business days is a let down for me. :conspiracy:

Anyway, 15th being Holiday, I doubt if I am getting the product by 16 or 17th.

Main reason for me getting impatient is my desktop seating dead. One more reason is, I have previously purchased from eBay and vendors there ships the product on that day or very next day at max by the way.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
Congrats! Naxal.

^ Can't say why. The time I got my laptop with Core i5, I tried installing Windows XP SP3, succeeded in that too, but for some reason, it didn't respond well. When googled, I came to know that there's no native SATA support in Windows XP, and had to integrate some SATA driver from Microsoft Site into the Windows XP SP3 Boot disk, but, still it didn't respond well, so had to remove it.

As already pointed,

Its having support for both.

I am thinking about shifting if I get a good price for these RAMs else I will continue to run with DDR2, these RAMs are excellent OverClocker also :D

Windows XP

Most of the Legacy Apps I have do go well with XP Mode under Windows 7 however ever legacy users, :p like my father prefers the legacy OS, so I have keep it under dual boot. Hence Windows XP support is a must.

FlipKart

They are quite slow in processing it seems, order was placed yesterday noon, but they are yet to even dispatch it.

*i46.tinypic.com/11rt3x5.jpg

FK will ship it to you either by their own delivery man or through Bluedart - did you get a Tracking No ? what's the status showing ?

the G41 combo support both but why I said to go for a DDr3 only mobo along with DDR3 memory modules - OP will use his existing DDR2 ram modules and if he ever needs to RMA this mobo the service center guys may say " no supporting DDR2 motherboard is available as it's obsolete now " and if they offers him DDR3 mobo as an alternative tjhse DDr2 ram modules won't come handy - so it's better to sell the DDr2 ram modules and opt for a DDr3 motherboard.

and windows XP support Sta HDDs in IDE mode but even win 7 may need Sata drivers if you enable AHCI from bios - it all depends upon the controller and the availability of drivers on windows install disc.

You need a lot of patience buddy :p. Moreover you are in WB so you need to have the most patience.

^^ Truely said.

Top Bottom