Need ADSL+Gigabit Router

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
Guys, I need a ADSL Router with Wfi , preferably wireless N. Need to cover atleast two walls.

Budget up to 4-5K Suggest from Linksys, ASUS and other high quality ones. im fed up of DLINK/NETGEAR/TP Link(Can't trust it)

Gigabit Ethernet a Must.

I already have a DLink ADSL Router + Linksys Router to cover two floors but range is not satisfactory.I can reuse these or completely replace my network setup.

gagan_kumar

Wise Old Owl
Guys, I need a ADSL Router with Wfi , preferably wireless N. Need to cover atleast two walls.

Budget up to 4-5K Suggest from Linksys, ASUS and other high quality ones. im fed up of DLINK/NETGEAR/TP Link(Can't trust it)

Gigabit Ethernet a Must.

I already have a DLink ADSL Router + Linksys Router to cover two floors but range is not satisfactory.I can reuse these or completely replace my network setup.

i know u have said u can't trust tp-link but still tp w-8968 model is great for your need and also budget friendly......

OP
RCuber

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
^^ I take security seriously. Routers having backdoors? No Sir . I don't mind spending extra to get a robust and secure router. Yes, IT is not a safe place, but it can easily be a safer place if the user takes precautions. One may install the most powerful antivirus app, but still a dumb user can ignore warnings when trying to use a Pirated game or software. Its all up to the end user.

Hell, now I even doubt Cisco if they are working with the US govt on installing spy warez on their Routerz!!! :p

EDIT: *sekurak.pl/more-information-about-tp-link-backdoor/

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
i read the report & it doesn't look like a security issue to me.
TP-Link Routers Contain Treacherous Backdoor - Security | DSLReports Forums
TP-LINK Refutes Claims of “Backdoor” Flaws in its Wireless Routers
Alleged “Backdoor” Was Merely a Testing Tool Used by TP-LINK

(Shenzhen, China) – March 13, 2013 -TP-LINK, a global provider of networking products, today responded to research published in Poland that alleged several of the company’s wireless routers were vulnerable to attack using an existing URL embedded in the company’s routers. TP-LINK’s R&D team has examined the alleged problem and noted that the URL is simply a tool that TP-LINK uses internally to test certain products.
In order to perform the hacks mentioned in a report by Polish security expert Michal Sajdak, one must already be connected to the network, either via a wired connection or wirelessly, which can be prevented by setting up standard WPA-PSK/WPA2-PSK wireless encryption.
The company has several recommendations to prevent hackers from gaining access to the network and potentially causing harm.

1. Ensure that your router is security encrypted and that your password cannot be easily guessed, ideally using a combination of characters and numbers
2. Never allow strangers to connect to the router directly, via Ethernet cable to one of the device’s LAN ports
3. Do not leave the router’s "remote management" function active (this function’s factory default is "off").

The company says that if the above steps are taken, the possibility of hackers gaining access to the router to use the testing URL is very remote. In an effort to prevent any potential security threats, TP-LINK’s R&D department will be releasing firmware upgrades for all affected routers to prevent the use of the URL, which users will be able to download and use to upgrade their TP-LINK devices to better protect their networks.
TP-LINK says that regardless of whether the hack would be effective in an unsecured network, the company always encourages users to set up security on their routers as soon as they set them up, to prevent any kind of malicious activity that may occur in everyday Internet usage. To provide an added level of security, TP-LINK will ship all wireless routers pre-encrypted, which makes for a quicker setup, but also ensures that end-user networks are protected from the moment they are plugged in.
TP-LINK remains grateful to Mr. Sajdak and tech-savvy people like him for bringing issues like this to the company’s attention, and encourages this type of insight into the company’s products.
“We take all security inquiries seriously”, says Global Communications Manager, Daniel Beach. “We hope our response was timely enough to alleviate any concerns with our product lines.“
TP-LINK intends to promptly provide updated firmware to remove any potential risk that the test URL may present. The company says that the updated firmware will be accessible from their corporate website as soon as they are made available for affected models.

btw unless you are a friend of Dalai Lama chinese don't care compared to USA which might even have an issue with how you treat your maid.:p

jokes aside i really don't get why there is even a need to be afraid about back doors in devices here in India.we are quite lucky that the 2 most snooping nations in the world(USA & China) are a political issue mess in India & no Indian national is going to be taken away by agencies from these countries simply on the basis of such snooping or issues like copyright infringement unlike helicopters raiding Kim Dotcom house in New Zealand.

icebags

Technomancer
^but hacking is possible if he by some way does business through unsecured channel.

or the router can be used to make brute attacks on specific servers depending on the company intentions, thereby jamming those routes or servers.

imagine thousand of those routers coming alive to attack some specific servers, and rcuber will never know, perhaps only the gateway will know .....

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
we are discussing home use here not industrial use.

@RCuber,why not get a cheap gigabit ethernet wifi router like this & add it to your existing setup:
Netgear 300 Mbps N300 Gigabit Wireless Router (JNR3000) - Buy @ Rs.2184/- Online | Snapdeal.com

OP
RCuber

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
The modem is in my room and its a 10/100 connection, I want the main network from the modem to be Gigabit Ethernet. cause apart from computers I also use a media player to stream videos both on network and Internet.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
why is that an issue?gigabit ethernet from router connected to modem will be used for internal network & for internet connections in India even 10mbps is more than enough for online streaming.

OP
RCuber

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
Bump,

Looks like my DLink Router is going to die very soon. Ethernet connection keeps dropping a lot. Wifi might be stable. Currently using my old Modem as backup till I get a new Router. Please suggest a new one , will go through the ones recommended here.

Budget 4K.

youmetube27

Right off the assembly line
Do not look for DD-WRT supported hardware, they used to be on top a decade ago...

Nowadays, you would be most secure using OpenWRT supported router,
Go on your favourite online shopping site and note down the model#, manufacturer details then
look them up here for support
*wiki.openwrt.org/toh/start
(Above link shows hardware compatability with OpenWRT router software)

A few personal guidelines from me,
1) Go for a router with Atheros chipset(and NOT Broadcom), as support is better under OpenWRT
2) Go for a router with atleast 400-500MHz MIPS speed(like GHz for computer CPUs)
3) Go for atleast 128 MB RAM
4) Go for atleast 32 MB Flash(this is similar for computer hard-disk)
5) Go for atleast WiFi n support (AC while speed is higher but has not com down in price so not recommending)
6) LAN ports speed should be atleast 1Gbps, i.e it should say 4x LAN ports 1/100/1000
(Do not but the router that says 4x LAN ports 1/100 as these are slow speed outdated tech)

Good Luck!

OP
RCuber

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
already suggested in post#11-13.

My existing modem is having the problem, so cant consider it to use with the new router. looks like I have to take a look at TP-Link, I don't have any other choice :(

How is this one
*www.flipkart.com/tp-link-300-mbps-...abit&ref=b852249e-a668-46a5-bbbc-12d852bc0753

Top Bottom