Need a PC Under 40K

coolguythampy

Broken In
1. What is the purpose of the computer?
A: Photoshop, basic video editing (NO 3d or rendering. just simple video trimming, and some simple effects using Sony Vegas Pro). NO GAMING!!!

2. Are you open to alternate ideas/products giving similar better performance but offering more VFM/ sellers? If not- why?
A: Yeah. Why not?

3. What is your MAX budget?
A: 40k (Have set apart 10 K for windows 7 and also office student edition)

4. Planning to overclock?
A: Never

5. Which OS are you planning to use?
A: Win 7

6. How much hard drive space is needed?
A: 500GB (Maybe an additional SSD too for installing OS. Not too sure about this decision)

7. What resolution will the screen run at & whats the size of the screen you want? If you already want have one and want to use it, mention its resolution and size.
A: I want to run at standard resolution. Preferably a 22" screen

8. How would you rate your hardware knowledge from the count of 1-10? (1 being the lowest, 5 being you are somewhat in sync with the current performers and 10 being the highest)
A: 5

9. Have you ever built a desktop before or will this be done by an assembler?
A: Assembler

10. When are you planning to buy the system?
A: In 2 months time (Can extend if needed. Heard AMD is coming out with bulldozer)

11. Are you one of the types looking out for "future proof" configurations?
A: I want a system to last 4 years. Not sure if that's future proofing

12. Are there going to be any components that you don't want to include in this new rig? If yes, do mention.
A: Need all

13. Which city do you live in and are you open to buying from shops from other city/states?
A: Trivandrum, Kerala.

14. Mention any other points if deemed necessary
A: I need UPS included in the price too. If 40K is above my needs, feel free to strip it down to anything that you seem NOT an overkill

Edit? To make things more clear. 40K is for hardware and 10K for software.

Last edited:

Ishu Gupta

Manchester United
Component | Price
Intel i5 2400|9k
Intel DH67BL|5k
Corsair 4GB|1.7k
Seagate 1TB 7200.12|2.7k
LG 22X SATA DVD|0.9k
FSP Saga II 500W|2k
CM Elite 430|2.5k
Dell ST2220M|7.8k
Razer Cyclosa Gaming Bundle|2k
APC 800VA|2.8k
Altec Lansing VS2621|1.5k
Total |37900

Ishu Gupta

Manchester United
Why? I don't play games.
They are a decent pair of KB and mouse. Much better than the cheap ones.
KB/mouse are a personal thing anyway so you can choose what you like.
Logitech MK200 are for Rs700

I hear Intel Sandybridge is not good for video editing.

Videoguys Blog - DIY Update: Sandy Bridge Not Recommended by Videoguys
It says
Code:
I'm also sure it will run low end video editing apps like Pinnacle Studio, [B]Sony Vegas Movie Studio[/B], Premiere Elements or other under $100 video editing programs.
I don't agree with that guy though. Yes SB is medium end platform but it still performs faster than the outdated X58. You won't be able to fit x58 based rig in your budget anyway.

Wont 600VA be enough?
Price diff not much.

How about Benq's 22" HD model?
Dell's better

Omi

-=[-_-]=-
As of today we do NOT recommend Sandy Bridge for high end NLE workstations.

Still, you can get AMD Hexacore, will help bit more in video editing, and PS at almost same cost as i5 sandy bridge and may be better for apps you are planning to use.

OP
C

coolguythampy

Broken In
They are a decent pair of KB and mouse. Much better than the cheap ones.
KB/mouse are a personal thing anyway so you can choose what you like.
Logitech MK200 are for Rs700

I prefer a good keyboard. I am not too particular on the mouse. I will be typing a lot since I am into blogging.

Dont you think I need a graphic card?

Still, you can get AMD Hexacore, will help bit more in video editing, and PS at almost same cost as i5 sandy bridge and may be better for apps you are planning to use.

Can you suggest an AMD config?

Cilus

laborare est orare
The only two AMD hexcores performs slightly better than a i5 2400 is 1090T and 1100T and both are on the same price range of i5 2400. Now 2400 is a overall winner and no need to go for AMD processors now.

1090T will cost you around 9K and 1100T will be higher than 10K. Now at that price you can get hands ona i5 2500 which is better than either of the AMD 6 cores.

Not all the video encoding software wroks better or take the advantage of 6 cores of AMD processors. Intel Sandybridge processors are having AVX instruction set support and any modern day advanced Video Editors with AVX instruction set support will offers better performance in Intel Sandybridge based processors.

OP
C

coolguythampy

Broken In
The only two AMD hexcores performs slightly better than a i5 2400 is 1090T and 1100T and both are on the same price range of i5 2400. Now 2400 is a overall winner and no need to go for AMD processors now.

1090T will cost you around 9K and 1100T will be higher than 10K. Now at that price you can get hands ona i5 2500 which is better than either of the AMD 6 cores.

Not all the video encoding software wroks better or take the advantage of 6 cores of AMD processors. Intel Sandybridge processors are having AVX instruction set support and any modern day advanced Video Editors with AVX instruction set support will offers better performance in Intel Sandybridge based processors.

Ok.. Then I will stick with Sandybridge.

Any suggestions for a graphics card that might boost the performance? I wont be playing games. So a graphic card for gaming isn't something what I am looking for.

Cilus

laborare est orare
Ok.. Then I will stick with Sandybridge.

Any suggestions for a graphics card that might boost the performance? I wont be playing games. So a graphic card for gaming isn't something what I am looking for.

For your work, you don't need any workstation graphics card. Photoshop is accelerated by both current gen of AMD and nVidia cards but Sony Vegas Pro has better support for nVidia CUDA. So get a GTS 450 1 GB GDDR5, priced around 7K. Get the Zotac GTS 450 @ 6.5K in SMC.

Top Bottom