Status
Not open for further replies.

sharang.d

Youngling
Update (Fixed Stuff)
Processor |Intel Core i7-2600k
CPU Cooler |Noctua NH-D14

Hello guys!

This is my first post here at THD. I bought the magazine for the first time this month itself and ever since can't stop looking at the "digit KILLER RIGS" page :p

Anyway I plan to build a new PC..
I often enjoy FPS games on my 2 year old(?) pc. I'm not a huge graphics card fan but I'm looking for more processing power and RAM(8 GB).
Intel Core i7-2600k looks good to me. As for the HDD i will be needing just 1x 1/2TB(high speed preferably) HDD and NO SDD.

Here's what you need to know:
1. What is the purpose of the computer? What all applications and games are you going to run?
Runnine multiple complex applications at once. eg: AutoCAD, Photoshop, Browsing with multiple tabs and games. Basically what i need is that my computer should not lag when it comes to need of processing power(I do not need a high end graphics card.. im talking about the raw processing power)

2. What is your overall budget? If you can extend a bit for a more balanced configuration, then mention this too.
80k INR at the most. 70k or even lesser if possible.

3. Planning to overclock?
Yes.

4. Which Operating System are you planning to use?
Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit, Linux

5. How much hard drive space is needed?
1/2 TB. No SSD wanted.

6. Do you want to buy a monitor?
I already own a LCD LED LG E2381 so no i don't need a monitor. It's 23" and has 1920X1080 resolution.

7. Which components you DON'T want to buy or which components you already have and plan on reusing?
Speakers (Already own 5.1)
Sound Card(Will be happy with the integerated system)
Video Card(I own a NVIDIA GeForce 9800GT 1GB and quite satisfied with it. With the new processor i think this will be enough for MY needs. Will upgrade later if required)
Monitor(Specified in the previous answer)
Mouse & Keyboard(Will find on my own)
DVD/Blu Ray Drive(Will find on my own)

8. When are you planning to buy the system?
In a month. (By the end of June)

9. Have you ever built a desktop before or will this be done by an assembler?
No i have not but I want to do it on my own also i have assistance if needed. I'm just worried about compatibility about the products to be assembled... I just need you guys to help me find products compatible with each other and then I can put them together for sure :)

10. Where do you live? Are you buying locally? Are you open to buying stuff from online shops if you don't get locally?
Pune. I will prefer buying locally. If not I can buy from Mumbai/Online as per your recomendations.

11. Anything else which you would like to say?
When you state your choice of motherboard give me your reasons (if you have any).. i really want to know/learn.
Please help me with the Cooling options as well.. that's really important to me because I shut down my PC ONCE in 2 weeks at the most.

Extra info:
Q. Do i have any specific components in mind?
Processors - > Intel® Core™ i7-2600K
Motherboard -> Asus P8Z77-V PRO
Cabinet -> Cooler Master HAF922
PSU -> Seasonic X850 (80+ Gold)
You can talk for or against the above products ^_^

Thanks a lot in advance :-D

Last edited:

dfcols71

In the zone
CPU Intel Core i7-2600k Rs. 18,681/Intel® Core™ i7-3770K @21000
Motherboard ASRock Z77 Extreme 4 10000/ASRock Z77 Extreme 6 12600/-
Case NZXT Switch 810 Hybrid Full Tower Chassis-10,600.00
PSU Seasonic 760W 80+ Gold Power Supply 8,895/Corsair CMPSU 750 hx 8500/-
CoolerMaster Hyper 212 EVO-2350/-
Gskill 4GB DDR3 1600MHZ CL9 RIPJAWS X 2-3350/-
UPS APC 1.1KVA 4300
Seagate Barracuda 1 TB HDD Internal Hard Drive (ST1000DM003)-5250/-
3.5 inch Form Factor
64 MB Cache Memory
7200 RPM Spin Speed
SATA 6.0 Gbps Interface
66550/-

Last edited:
OP
sharang.d

sharang.d

Youngling
CPU Intel Core i7-2600k Rs. 18,681/Intel® Core™ i7-3770K @21000
Motherboard ASRock Z77 Extreme 4 10000/ASRock Z77 Extreme 6 12600/-
Case NZXT Switch 810 Hybrid Full Tower Chassis-10,600.00
PSU Seasonic 760W 80+ Gold Power Supply 8,895/Corsair CMPSU 750 8500/-
CoolerMaster Hyper 212 EVO-2350/-
Gskill 4GB DDR3 1600MHZ CL9 RIPJAWS X 2-3350/-

Thanks for the prices.
The Cabinet looks good. It has SO many fans! Imo the only thing it lacks is the fancy LEDs.. I will still keep looking at other Cabinets.. also I thought Cooler Master is the preferred choice in Cabinets.. is that wrong?
The Hyper 212 EVO... will it be enough for the above specified i7-3770k?

This is what I'm thinking so far:
Processor:
The only problem i saw people mentioning about the Ivy i7-3770k was the high temperatures when OC'ing so if i don't OC to a great extent(and use a good cooler) it would be a better option than the 2011 Q1 i7-2600k right? I just feel like going for the new one you know.. Also what do guys think about i7-2700k?

Mainboard:
I still have no clue regarding which motherboard to go for.. its all very confusing and makes little sense to me unfortunately :x
All i know is that i want USB 3.0 ports compulsarily.. ASRock is just one company and has SO MANY MOTHERBOARDS! I really can't make out anything.. So far i understood that compatibility-wise ther's something to do with the processors chipset and see if the mainboard supports that chipset.. Seriously need help in this part.. I don't want to mess up or miss out on anything great coz i won't be changing the PC anytime soon after i get it.

Cabinet:
I think I'll keep this part for the last.. need to decide on what'll go inside first :p

RAM:
I have a question. Should i go for 1x 8GB Stick or 2x 4GB Sticks? What are the pros and cons?

Cooler:
The Hyper 212 EVO looks god enough for now.. Still keeping an eye out though!

Omi

-=[-_-]=-
Raw processing power, no lag

Why not get an ssd then, fits in your budget and will be good if you want no lag.
SSD will give you a very responsive system.

the_conqueror

Ambassador of Buzz
Asus P8Z68-VPro @ 15k
Intel Core i7 2600k @ 18k
G-skill ripjawsX 2x4 GB 1600 Mhz @ 3.5k
WD Caviar Blue 1 TB sata III @ 7k
Sapphire HD 7850 @ 15k
Corsair TX650 @ 6.5k
Corsair H100 @ 7k
Corsair carbide 500r @ 6k
Total @ 78.5k
I've suggested a graphic card also because 9800gt is not enough to game at 1080p. It is your wish, if you wanna buy it then buy otherwise leave.

RiGOD

SoLa BeLLaToR...
Component Make Price
CPU AMD FX 8150 11700
Motherboard Biostar TA990FXE 8500
RAM 2 x G.Skill RipjawsX 4GB DDR3 3100
HDD Seagate Barracuda 1TB 5600
SSD OCZ Agility 3 60 GB SSD 6820
Case NZXT Source 210 Elite 2400
PSU SeaSonic SS-750JS 5420
UPS APC 1KVA 4800
Total 48340

>Heavy multitasking? More cores.
>Get the ASUS Sabretooth if you're free to spend.
>Don't neglect the SSD.
>The case I suggested is the bare minimum. You can go for any of your choice.
>Got a UPS?

OP
sharang.d

sharang.d

Youngling
Why not get an ssd then, fits in your budget and will be good if you want no lag.
SSD will give you a very responsive system.
Scroll to the bottom of this post please

Asus P8Z68-VPro @ 15k
Intel Core i7 2600k @ 18k
G-skill ripjawsX 2x4 GB 1600 Mhz @ 3.5k
WD Caviar Blue 1 TB sata III @ 7k
Sapphire HD 7850 @ 15k
Corsair TX650 @ 6.5k
Corsair H100 @ 7k
Corsair carbide 500r @ 6k
Total @ 78.5k
I've suggested a graphic card also because 9800gt is not enough to game at 1080p. It is your wish, if you wanna buy it then buy otherwise leave.
Liquid cooling seems like a good option.. Ill look it up. Thanks

Component Make Price
CPU AMD FX 8150 11700
Motherboard Biostar TA990FXE 8500
RAM 2 x G.Skill RipjawsX 4GB DDR3 3100
HDD Seagate Barracuda 1TB 5600
SSD OCZ Agility 3 60 GB SSD 6820
Case NZXT Source 210 Elite 2400
PSU SeaSonic SS-750JS 5420
UPS APC 1KVA 4800
Total 48340

>Heavy multitasking? More cores.
>Get the ASUS Sabretooth if you're free to spend.
>Don't neglect the SSD.
>The case I suggested is the bare minimum. You can go for any of your choice.
>Got a UPS?
My dad wants me to go for an Intel one and I dont mind.. so I guess I'll go for an Intel one only.
Yeah bro.. too many cases.. hard to select!
I don't have a UPS. Actually If i do get one I need it to support the following devices together-> Linksys WRT54gs Wireless Modem, BSNL Modem, Cheap Intex 5.1 Speakers, CPU and Monitor. If that's possible and i get at-least like 1 hr backup for these devices then I'd prefer it or else I'm planning to get an Inverter for the house.. so let's see.

A graphic card is a must when you have a budget of 80K.
I know friend.. I might take one in the future but for now I seriously don't feel the need for one ;)

@all suggesting SSD: Can you please elaborate the benifits of an SSD?
I don't know I just think of SSD as an overblown concept.. I might be wrong.. Its just my opinion though.

Also another question.. is there any way to get Wifi internally in a PC?

d6bmg

BMG ftw!!
Answer to last question: Buy Asus P8Z77-V @14K which have internal wifi receiver.

UPS: APC 1.1KVa @4.8K

OP
sharang.d

sharang.d

Youngling
This is what I'm thinking so far:
Processor:
The only problem i saw people mentioning about the Ivy i7-3770k was the high temperatures when OC'ing so if i don't OC to a great extent(and use a good cooler) it would be a better option than the 2011 Q1 i7-2600k right? I just feel like going for the new one you know.

Mainboard:
I still have no clue regarding which motherboard to go for.. its all very confusing and makes little sense to me unfortunately :x
All i know is that i want USB 3.0 ports compulsarily.. ASRock is just one company and has SO MANY MOTHERBOARDS! I really can't make out anything.. So far i understood that compatibility-wise ther's something to do with the processors chipset and see if the mainboard supports that chipset.. Seriously need help in this part.. I don't want to mess up or miss out on anything great coz i won't be changing the PC anytime soon after i get it.

Cabinet:
I think I'll keep this part for the last.. need to decide on what'll go inside first :p

RAM:
I have a question. Should i go for 1x 8GB Stick or 2x 4GB Sticks? What are the pros and cons?

Cooler:
The Hyper 212 EVO looks god enough for now.. Still keeping an eye out though!
Just re-quoted this because since my first 10 posts are not done yet they have to be accepted by some moderator and take time to be visible..
Just a request guys please scroll up and see if you have missed out on anything.. Thanks!

Answer to last question: Buy Asus P8Z77-V @14K which have internal wifi receiver.

UPS: APC 1.1KVa @4.8K
Thanks.. but I'm open to a higher price mainboard than 14k as well which is on par with the ASRock Mainboards suggested on this page.. Do you know any such?
I think 1.1KVa won't suffice for me.

Last edited:
OP
sharang.d

sharang.d

Youngling
From 1.1KVa UPS you can get maximum 918.5Watt of power. Won't it be sufficient for you? ;)
I think I'll look at my router+modem+speakers power requirement and see. Thanks!

Update: OK so as far as processors go I'm set on Intel® Core™ i7-2600K because 2700k isn't any better and 3770k(Ivy) just gives better integrated graphics which you don't need when you have a graphics card. 3770k also doesn't give any significant speed increase in proportion with the price difference between the two.

So please include Intel® Core™ i7-2600K in your builds here on (If u think I should still go for the i7-3770k please let me know why.)

I've decided my strategy for building my rig.. I'm gonna decide the components one by one.. So far only the Processor is fixed(i hope :p) need help with motherboards now.. Awaiting your posts :D

EDIT: My 10 posts aren't done yet and I don't need mod supervision anymore! Thank you moderator/s! :D

Last edited:

the_conqueror

Ambassador of Buzz
Get asus p8z68 v pro, it has 12 cpu power phases, so it'll OC the 2600k like anything. Get a liquid cooler from antec or corsair .
For cabinet, get the corsair carbide 500R or NZXT phantom(full tower).

Omi

-=[-_-]=-
@all suggesting SSD: Can you please elaborate the benifits of an SSD?
I don't know I just think of SSD as an overblown concept.. I might be wrong.. Its just my opinion though.

SSD is fast, very fast.
Boot time of a PC w/o SSD is near 50-60secs+
With a good SSD, less than 20 seconds

Programs loaded on ssd will get into main memory(RAM) faster, hence
reducing the time for the execution of program(lag)

SSD is not necessary but given you budget you can easily afford a ssd and enjoy the performance premium. Enthusiast configuration is incomplete w/o SSD.

OP
sharang.d

sharang.d

Youngling
Get asus p8z68 v pro, it has 12 cpu power phases, so it'll OC the 2600k like anything. Get a liquid cooler from antec or corsair .
For cabinet, get the corsair carbide 500R or NZXT phantom(full tower).
What about the P8Z77-V PRO(16,060 INR on theitwares.com)? I would go for Z77 over Z68 just for the onboard usb 3.0. Will P8Z77-V PRO give better performance(or same) than p8z68 v pro?
About the cabinet I guess I'll start looking after I decide the motherboard keeping in mind the no. of ports etc.
Any idea which cooler for liquid cooling? Also can someone give me some info/link regarding liquid cooling please?
Thanks a lot!

SSD is fast, very fast.
Boot time of a PC w/o SSD is near 50-60secs+
With a good SSD, less than 20 seconds

Programs loaded on ssd will get into main memory(RAM) faster, hence
reducing the time for the execution of program(lag)

SSD is not necessary but given you budget you can easily afford a ssd and enjoy the performance premium. Enthusiast configuration is incomplete w/o SSD.
As i said I generally shut my PC down once at the most in 2 weeks so boot time is not a priority for me :p
The memory part yes i agree... but I think I'll keep an option open for it under future updates :) Waiting for SSDs to get more established in the industry..

Update: OK so as far as processors go I'm set on Intel® Core™ i7-2600K because 2700k isn't any better and 3770k(Ivy) just gives better integrated graphics which you don't need when you have a graphics card. 3770k also doesn't give any significant speed increase in proportion with the price difference between the two.
RAM:

Any help regarding the above?

Note:
@Omi: Which "giant" have you chosen to wait for?

Also, why can't my signature contain hyperlinks?

Last edited:

the_conqueror

Ambassador of Buzz
Go with either 2x4 gb or single 8gb. The single 8 gb will perform marginally better but it'll cost around 600-900 bucks more than 2x4 gb. Corsair H100(7K), antec h2o 920 are some good liquid coolers. H100 is quite noisy.

OP
sharang.d

sharang.d

Youngling
Go with either 2x4 gb or single 8gb. The single 8 gb will perform marginally better but it'll cost around 600-900 bucks more than 2x4 gb. Corsair H100(7K), antec h2o 920 are some good liquid coolers. H100 is quite noisy.

Are you sure? Now that i researched it turns out that if the processor supports Dual Channel Memory 2x 4GB should be used to utilise it as opposed to a single 1x 8GB(which won't benifit by Dual Channel Memory).

Edit: Can someone give me a price for KHX2133C11D3W1K2/8GX (Kingston Hyper X H2o 2133Mhz Memory) and tell me if its good for me?

Last edited:

dfcols71

In the zone
coolermaster 212 evo is enough for moderate overclock 4.6-4.8 ghz unless planning for heavy overclock go with liquid cooling

OP
sharang.d

sharang.d

Youngling
coolermaster 212 evo is enough for moderate overclock 4.6-4.8 ghz unless planning for heavy overclock go with liquid cooling

I really don't want to make any compromises when it comes to cooling(because my PC is never switched off) but yes I'm definitely not gonna OC more than 4.6Ghz. I'll wait for a few more inputs though. If I'm assured that I don't need Liquid Cooling I'll look at normal Air Coolers. Thanks! Digit Magazine suggests Noctua NH-D14(5,350 INR). What are your thoughts regarding that?

Sainatarajan

Wise Old Owl
I think , you will be satisfied with the stock speed of the I7 2600K .
BTW , I7 2600K is available @ 17.5K !!!
Also there is I7 3820 in your budget !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom