Need a new CPU, Mobo & RAM for Gaming Rig, confused about graphics card/s

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
The title says it all. Apart from gaming, will do some encoding and editing too in this rig. Done away with researching, here's what I have in my mind:-

1. i7 2600k
2. Asus P8Z68V Deluxe (Rashi???)
3. GSkill RipjawsX 2x4gb DDR3 1600

Now here's my queries:-

A) Confused about the graphics card upgrade. I have seen my 6950's 1gb VRAM hitting the wall in games like Serious Sam 3 & Witcher 2 when AA is turned on. So it will be either a couple of 6950 2GB for CFX or 7970. I am getting an offer of 12.5k for one 6950 2GB. Adding a MSI TFIII will cost another 16.5k. Total = 29k. Whereas, the best price I have seen for 7970 is from PrimeABGB at 35.5k. So which one to go for?

B) In case, going the CFX route, whether my HX750 is up to the task to handle i7 and a couple of 6950s even when OCed? Extreme Power Supply Calculator is making me confused.

C) Any way to consider an AMD based config? I know I can save quite a bit going that route, but don't want to hold back my graphics card/s by any means. Further, future upgrades will be very fewer in this rig.

D) I will be ordering the RAM from Prime @ 3050 in this week. I hope the price is good. Any chance to get it at a better rate? And 8GB sufficient for at least a year, I guess?

E) Lastly, going to Kolkata in the first week of February (6-10). If anybody can help me get a good deal (will also purchase a SMPS apart from CPU+Mobo+1 Graphics card), I might defer my purchase till then (also it looks like dollar is cooling off). Else it will be online purchases mostly.

Thanks in advance.

Someone reply. ;)

Cilus

laborare est orare
Skud, if you couple a HD 6950 2 GB with your existing 1 GB version, it will work like a 2 HD 6950 1 GB is Crossfire. In Crossfire, same data is getting copied in both the cards memory, only they work on different portions of the data. So that is not a solution. Remember, in CF or SLI, the effective memory is the memory of the card with lower size.

I think you should use your card for another couple of days and then sell it of to get a new HD 7970 or even a HD 7950 when launched.

OP
Skud

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
Actually will sell my present card for sure. ;) Now the question is 6950 2GB CFX or 7970? (read first post)

Help on the other matters too. Any chance of getting a good deal from MD? I have another 20-25 days in hand.

d3p

PowerHouse
IMO ....

i7 2600k - 18k flipkart.

Asus P8Z68 Deluxe Gen3.0 17.2k [available in bangalore at this price]

Gskill RipjawX 4GB x 2 1600 CL9 - 3.1k

Sell 6950 & get 7970....

Cilus

laborare est orare
HD 6950 2GB Crossifre will cost you more around 33K which is very close to the price of HD 7970. Crossfire is only recommended over a single GPU solution when it offers real value for money and beats the single GPU, you are thinking of. Now HD 7970 is also around 25% faster than GTX 580, so I'm assuming that HD 6950 2 GB CF and HD 7970 offers almost same level of performance, the CF setting may be slightly faster. You're not getting any price advantage here as the price is almost same in both the cases.

Now with HD 7970, you'll get rid of the hassle of the setup, no need to change your current PSU, 3 GB of Vram and superb general computing power. So HD 7970 is my recommendation here.

For Processor, Motherboard and Ram, take a chance in Vedant computer. Their knowledge might be limited but they offer lesser price compared to M.D. M.D has a habit to ask for higher price always and you need to do lot of bargaining to reduce the price at your desired level.

OP
Skud

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
I got this quote from MD some weeks back (thinking was different then):-

i7 2600K @ 17500
ASUS Z68-V-PRO (G3) @ 13900
MSI Z68A-GD80 B3 @ 13900
MSI 6950 2GB DDR5 TWIN FROZER III @ 16300

plus 4% VAT. Rates look pretty good then.

Another query: if I go for 7970, is there any need for Z68 mobo, I won't use SSD caching and if 7970 can transcode video better, what will be the use of QuickSync?

Can i7 3820 and X79 be considered as an alternative?

d3p

PowerHouse
This combo gonna cost you a bang "Can i7 3820 and X79 be considered as an alternative? "

The performance improvement between i7 2600k & 3820 is less but other hand the TDP of 3820 is 125w+[not sure of exact values] compared to i7 2600k with 95w.

Which is same as LGA1366.

OP
Skud

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
3820 is supposed to cost less than 2600k, Asus P9X79 costs close to Asus P8Z68V Deluxe.

Damn, just forget I will need a new CPU cooler too!

d3p

PowerHouse
i think you have a CM N620. If you have a LGA 1366 socket of the same cooler then you can still use the same cooler in X79 LGA 2011 Mobo.

AFAIK i7 3820 costs 20k+, motherboards Asus P9X79 Pro Cost almost 21k at SMC

OP
Skud

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
The base model of the mobo is 19k at SMC, 3820 is yet to be released AFAIK.

Can I do away with QuickSync and Z68 altogether, if I go for 7970? ASUS P8P67 DELUXE will be around 16k

Cilus

laborare est orare
Skud, there is no real world performance difference between a i7 2600K and i7 3820 Sandybridge E processor, especially for the kind of applications you are going to use. The performance chart might make 3820 something superior...but in real life...I don't think so. Also the i7 3820 + X79 combo will cost you 10K + higher than a i7 2600K + Z68 combo.

regarding your query about Quicksync, Go with P67 chipset based premium motherboard. Really, HD 7970 based encoders will offer you better quality output when compared to Quicksync, time taken might be little higher, but again in real life even 2-3 min difference doesn't matter.

2ndly, fori7 2600K and any motherboard, check Vedant for sure. They always offer better deal in processor and motherboard, sometimes in Gfx card too. M.D. is good because they have a huge stock of products which are unavailable in other shops in Kolkata, not because they offer the cheapest price.

OP
Skud

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
Skud, there is no real world performance difference between a i7 2600K and i7 3820 Sandybridge E processor, especially for the kind of applications you are going to use. The performance chart might make 3820 something superior...but in real life...I don't think so. Also the i7 3820 + X79 combo will cost you 10K + higher than a i7 2600K + Z68 combo.

regarding your query about Quicksync, Go with P67 chipset based premium motherboard. Really, HD 7970 based encoders will offer you better quality output when compared to Quicksync, time taken might be little higher, but again in real life even 2-3 min difference doesn't matter.

Basically if the 7970 can do it all at comparable speed, what's the need of QS? I would rather save some bucks. I am not looking forward to thrash some benchmark scores.

And should I go for ASUS? ;)

2ndly, fori7 2600K and any motherboard, check Vedant for sure. They always offer better deal in processor and motherboard, sometimes in Gfx card too. M.D. is good because they have a huge stock of products which are unavailable in other shops in Kolkata, not because they offer the cheapest price.

In my 2 tries, I am yet to locate that shop (of course, I was always hard pressed for time). There's no signboard in Vedant's name.

Cilus

laborare est orare
SKUD, Vedant is in the opposide side of the Main road compared to M.D. Computers. Ask anyone about the HDFC bank ATM in Ganesh Chandra Avenue, it is a landmark. Vedant is situated at the lane starting from in front of the ATM.

Here is the numbers:
033-221-29832
033-225-37597

Tarun

In the zone
go with a i7 2700k and a
ASUS Z68-V-PRO (G3) and as for the GPU go for a 7970 its the fastest single GPU on earth buddy u wont regret for it mark my words

OP
Skud

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
May be its an offtopic, but i wanted to know what happened to your SSD hunt ???

Taking a gamble, will post soon. ;)

go with a i7 2700k and a
ASUS Z68-V-PRO (G3) and as for the GPU go for a 7970 its the fastest single GPU on earth buddy u wont regret for it mark my words

Why should I pay for 100 MHz speed bump? I would rather do it myself. ;)

lordirecto

In the zone
Skud, the 7970, is it PCIe 3.0? Is the mobo that you are opting for has PCIe 3.0? Take a look at that if you have not so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom