Need a low-budget PC for 3D Designing

k_v

Journeyman
Hi, im planning an upgrade on my office PC . I'm going to use it mainly for Designing softwares like Autocad '10 and SolidWorks '10. The answers to the questionnaire are as follows :

1. What is the purpose of the computer? (Note: If you are planning to say multimedia, you will have to be more specific as all types of systems are capable of doing that)
A: Designing softwares like Autocad , Solidworks

2. Are you open to alternate ideas/products giving similar better performance but offering more VFM/ sellers? If not- why?
A: Yes

3. What is your MAX budget?
A: 15K

4. 4. Planning to overclock?
A: NO

5. Which OS are you planning to use?
A: Windows XP, Don't really need Win7

6. How much hard drive space is needed?
A: Minimal . 160GB should be fine

7. What resolution will the screen run at & whats the size of the screen you want? If you already want have one and want to use it, mention its resolution and size.
A: I'm NOT upgrading my CRT monitor at the moment . So the resolution will be 1024x768

8. How would you rate your hardware knowledge from the count of 1-10? (1 being the lowest, 5 being you are somewhat in sync with the current performers and 10 being the highest)
A: 5-6

9. Have you ever built a desktop before or will this be done by an assembler?
A: Ive built my PC at home

10. When are you planning to buy the system?
A: By Mid-October

11. Are you one of the types looking out for "future proof" configurations?
A: Well, yes..

12. Are there going to be any components that you don't want to include in this new rig? If yes, do mention.
A: Monitor, Keyboard , Mouse , UPS, Speakers

13. Which city do you live in and are you open to buying from shops from other city/states?
A: Mumbai

14. Mention any other points if deemed necessary
A: I know the budget is really low for my application, but i would like to cram in as good a rig as possible . Minimum 4gig ram is a must. Need a decent GPU that can handle such softwares without much lag.

Cilus

laborare est orare
Here is my suggestion:-

AMD Athlon II X4 635 @ 4K
Gigabyte GA-MA78LMT-S2 @ 2.5K
Corsair 4GB X 1 XMS3 1600 MHz DDR3 @ 1.5K
Seagate 500GB 7200.12 SATA HDD @ 1.9K
Zebronics Bijli Cabinet w/o SMPS @ 1K
FSP SAGA II 500W PSU @ 2K
Sapphire HD 5670 512MB GDDR5 @ 4K

Total 16.9K. You can reduce the price by going for GT 520 1GB GDDR3 @ 3K from brands like Asus, MSI etc.

OP
K

k_v

Journeyman
Here is my suggestion:-

AMD Athlon II X4 635 @ 4K
Gigabyte GA-MA78LMT-S2 @ 2.5K
Corsair 4GB X 1 XMS3 1600 MHz DDR3 @ 1.5K
Seagate 500GB 7200.12 SATA HDD @ 1.9K
Zebronics Bijli Cabinet w/o SMPS @ 1K
FSP SAGA II 500W PSU @ 2K
Sapphire HD 5670 512MB GDDR5 @ 4K

Total 16.9K. You can reduce the price by going for GT 520 1GB GDDR3 @ 3K from brands like Asus, MSI etc.

Cheers Cilus.

One more thing, i also have to get a DVD-RW . I think i can settle for a HDD less than 500gigs. I dont require a lot of space . As my HDD will only contain my office files. Are the 160 and 320gig HDDs available now?

Okay, upon doing some research, i've realized there isn't much difference between prices of 250gig and 500gig HDDs . So nevermind that. Anywhere else i could possibly save a couple of grand without a whole lot of difference in performance?

Last edited:

Cilus

laborare est orare
160GB HDDs are not available and 320GB costs almost same as 500GB one, only 100/200 bucks less. So I think going with 500GB is a better choice.

I don't think you should reduce anything from the given config. Reasons are:-

1. Quad Core Processor: Designing softwares like Autocad , Solidworks etc are highly muti-core optimized and offers better performance with more cores. You can save few hundred bucks by going for a Athlon II X3 tri-core CPU, but the performance improvement with a Quad core is quiet justified here.
2. Ram: You can save another 700 bucks by going for a 2GB module, retailing at Rs 700. But the current standard is 4GB module which will allow you to add another 4 GB later (total 8 GB) and saves 1 Ram slot as your mobo is only having 2 memory slots.

3. PSU: I've suggesed you a good quality PSU for better stability and a smooth future upgrade path. A good quality PSU ensures proper power supply to each components and longibility of all the components.

OP
K

k_v

Journeyman
160GB HDDs are not available and 320GB costs almost same as 500GB one, only 100/200 bucks less. So I think going with 500GB is a better choice.

I don't think you should reduce anything from the given config. Reasons are:-

1. Quad Core Processor: Designing softwares like Autocad , Solidworks etc are highly muti-core optimized and offers better performance with more cores. You can save few hundred bucks by going for a Athlon II X3 tri-core CPU, but the performance improvement with a Quad core is quiet justified here.
2. Ram: You can save another 700 bucks by going for a 2GB module, retailing at Rs 700. But the current standard is 4GB module which will allow you to add another 4 GB later (total 8 GB) and saves 1 Ram slot as your mobo is only having 2 memory slots.

3. PSU: I've suggesed you a good quality PSU for better stability and a smooth future upgrade path. A good quality PSU ensures proper power supply to each components and longibility of all the components.

I know that (well most of it) .. I actually meant to say that it would have been better if there were possible alternate brands to some of the components in the config you suggested . For example, instead of a Corsair 4gig ram, is there a Transcend one etc .. That's just 1 example.

Anyway, i'm cool with the suggestions . Thanks a lot! I'll bump this thread just before i make the purchase as i still have around 2 weeks before i do it. If there is any possible change that you would like to recommend then please go ahead :mrgreen:

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
^^ other than downgrading processor (i.e. going for Athlon II X2/X3) & saving 1k at most, you can't do mush to reduce the cost. transcend ram cost same (or sometimes more) as corsair.

OP
K

k_v

Journeyman
Okay, so i took quotations from a few shops at Lamington Road, Mumbai.

@Cilus, i showed each shop the same config you suggested and i found that the prices you have mentioned are quite low. Each shop quoted me around 19.5-20K for that same rig. Only difference being the unavailability of X4 635. So, they put the price for 640 or in some cases 645.

Could you tell me where are you getting those prices from? I checked online(places like flipkart, theitdepot, techshop..) , the prices there are pretty much the same.

20K is somewhat beyond my budget at the moment :|

clmlbx

Technomancer
Pls buy @least 256-bit Graphic Card. that is really important if u don't then when your viewport goes heavy, you will face lot of problems. If you are looking for learning purpose gaming card is all Good but if u are looking for commercial purpose u need Pro cards from Nvidia that will be quadro cards and From ATI that will be fire

In my opinion You need @ least 25K Budget For decent AMD rig with Decent Graphic card . And in performance Intel beats and is always better then AMD. even in Amd you should look for Phenom

Last edited:
Top Bottom