Need a high-performance laptop

keyfinder

Right off the assembly line
Hi all,

I am looking for a high performance laptop, for the purpose of large-scale computing, parallel programming and virtualization. Spec requirements are as follows:

Processor: i7 high-end-more than 2GHz with hyperthreaded quad-cores, (better one or equivalent AMD/Intel appreciated :wink:)
RAM: 8GB or more
GPU: Necessary, OpenCL compatible, 1GB or more
HD: 7200rpm or SSD would be good

It would be also good if it's not very heavy weight (do not mind if it's 13/14 inches).
When it's not at very high load, battery performance should be good and should not heat up.

I am ready to spend about 1 lakh or so if needed. Apple Macbook Pro 15'' (Configure - Apple Store (U.S.)) and HP Envy 15 (HP® Official Store — Buy and Customize your ENVY 15t-3000 series PC direct from HP) are the two best matches I found till now.

Can you suggest any other good laptop model to fit my need?

Last edited:

pratyush997

Inactive
A dell inspiron 15r turbo can do... Btw do check sammy lappy in my sig if you want premium looks and better gaming

dashing.sujay

Moving
Staff member
No to Samsung please. Get MacBook if you can cope with OS X, best option. Windows alternatives may be thinkpad (availability might be an issue) or ProBook/Vaio S series.

OP
K

keyfinder

No to Samsung please. Get MacBook if you can cope with OS X, best option. Windows alternatives may be thinkpad (availability might be an issue) or ProBook/Vaio S series.

Thanks Sujay and Pratyush !!!

Sony VAIO SVS15116GN and Samsung Series 5 NP550P5C looked good, but why no to Samsung? H/w problems?

Gtb93

In the zone

Sony VAIO SVS15116GN and Samsung Series 5 NP550P5C looked good, but why no to Samsung? H/w problems?
Both dell and samsung variants don't have 7200rpm disks.
Oh and if you can afford a mac, go for it! :DD

dashing.sujay

Moving
Staff member

The Vaio you mentioned is perfect after MBP.

any reason?

The Samsung model is good but for one who requires a good GPU which OP clearly doesn't. Plus, after seeing a lot of users facing problems I won't recommend it to OP when reliability of of top priority. Plus my experience says, powerhouse laptops tend to fail much earlier especially when an a "budget" laptop is cramped with loads of power and compromised with quality.

ratul

█████████████████
guys, you are forgetting one thing, OP can extend the budget to 1lac too, so why fight for DELL or samsung??? :p
and seeing the requirements (not very heavy, portable, good battery life, less heatup), MBP is the best choice for you as dashing.sujay suggested..

pratyush997

Inactive
The Vaio you mentioned is perfect after MBP.

The Samsung model is good but for one who requires a good GPU which OP clearly doesn't. Plus, after seeing a lot of users facing problems I won't recommend it to OP when reliability of of top priority. Plus my experience says, powerhouse laptops tend to fail much earlier especially when an a "budget" laptop is cramped with loads of power and compromised with quality.
no offence but keep yourself a bit updated..cuz the beta drivers and stock ones created the issue and the latest bios update fix almost all... I was one of the victim.. Mobo replacement fixed it... Btw op got faqin lot of budget and mbp is way to go ...
Ps- mbp heats up too not bad as sammy.. Both sammy n mbp got same gpu.. Which trolls

vkl

Cyborg Agent
@OP
At the price range of around 60-65k Dell inspiron 15R turbo is a good option in India.Comes with a FHD screen and GCN based radeon hd7730m.
In compute it(hd 7730m) would be much faster than a gt650m.Moreover it has better OpenCL compute capability.
In gaming it would be somewhat slower than gt650m but still good enough.
In general for GPGPU compute oriented tasks(or tasks where GPU can assist) radeon hd7730m>>gt650m.
Gt650m is even beaten by a low end hd7570m in some compute oriented benchmarks.

If buying from USA get the Macbook Pro if you want/feel better with MAC OS or else the HP Envy 15 is quite good too.
For gaming hd7750m>gt650m ddr3 and should be close to gt650m gddr5.
For compute hd7750m>>gt650m.

Last edited:

dashing.sujay

Moving
Staff member
no offence but keep yourself a bit updated..cuz the beta drivers and stock ones created the issue and the latest bios update fix almost all... I was one of the victim.. Mobo replacement fixed it... Btw op got faqin lot of budget and mbp is way to go ...
Ps- mbp heats up too not bad as sammy.. Both sammy n mbp got same gpu.. Which trolls

I'm updated. But as I said everybody doesn't requires a "gaming" laptop even if its available in his budget. Stability and reliability are two things which you need to know, and your "sammy" got to gain/earn.

Also, not because if anyone has a budget of a lakh then he should buy a Macbook, it depends upon the purpose. Analyse the requirements not the money.

PS: Stop your "faqin" posts.

PPS: Google about "compute", if understood then delete your last post.

Ihthisham

Broken In
Dell Inspiron 15R Turbo
-----------------------
Core-i7 3612QM quad core 2.1Ghz (6MB cache, up to 3.1 GHz)
AMD Radeon 7730M 2GB DDR3 in Dell Inspiron 15R Turbo-Graphics Card
8GB DDR3 RAM at 1600MHz frequency
1TB at 5400rpm-HDD
15.6" HD WLED True-Life (1366x768) or 15.6" FHD Anti-glare Display.
Online Price -59,999. But you will get it at 2k or 3k less if you purchase from dealers near you.

OP
K

keyfinder

Dell Inspiron 15R Turbo
-----------------------
Core-i7 3612QM quad core 2.1Ghz (6MB cache, up to 3.1 GHz)
AMD Radeon 7730M 2GB DDR3 in Dell Inspiron 15R Turbo-Graphics Card
8GB DDR3 RAM at 1600MHz frequency
1TB at 5400rpm-HDD
15.6" HD WLED True-Life (1366x768) or 15.6" FHD Anti-glare Display.
Online Price -59,999. But you will get it at 2k or 3k less if you purchase from dealers near you.

Thanks for all your inputs, Sujay, Pratyush, vkl, Ihthisham :razz:

Ihthisham, Looked into that too, it's quite promising, given that
1. It's verrrrrrry much cheaper than MBP/VAIO S.
2. Though 3612QM has lesser clock than 3720QM, works quite compatatively in terms of benchmarks here.
3. GPU and screen are also comparable.

On downside,
1. 15R is quite bulky and heavy.
2. NOOO SSDDD !! and also no way to upgrade to it :cry:

Any opinions? Also would it be worth waiting for windows 8 release and new PCs??

Top Bottom