Need a Good Speaker or a Home Theatre

aroraanant

Explorer
Need a Good Speaker system or a Home Theatre

Hi Guys.
I don't have much knowledge in this field.
I am looking for some good speaker system or a Home Theatre, the budget is flexible lets say 7-15k(may be lil bit more too but I prefer the best and cheap one available as I have to save the cash for other things). If it is very cheap in Bangkok/Thailand then I can try if I can get it from there so please tell me about the same also.
I am looking for something really loud and crisp sound quality with good bass(should be equivalent to a good DJ, so that I can use it in some parties at my place...he he :p )
I have listened to Edifier S730 in Apple showroom recently and they were pretty good but very costly also at the same time, but I am looking for 5.1 or 7.1 speaker system.
There is one Sony Home Theatre D840k which costs around 20k in India, but I don't know how it is.It is supposed to be cheaper in Bangkok,hopefully around 12k though I am not sure.Should I get it or not?
I was looking at other threads too and there I found some good systems like
Edifier DA5000PRO, at ebay it is priced for 12.5k
Z906-Logitech, at ebay it is available for 16.5k
Edifier S550, at infibeam it is price for 20k approx.
how are these and what is their best price?
And what are the other options available? And is their anything cheap and good available?
Will be buying in a month or so.
And please mention the place in delhi or NCR where I can have a look at these(can hear/listen them)
I will be using it mostly for listening to music, and movies too.
And will be plugging my laptop and and mobile only and sometimes pendrive too.No extra graphic card can be bought.So give the suggestions accordingly.
All the suggestions are welcomed. :)

Last edited:

High-Fidelity

Journeyman
If 2.1 so buy Swans M50W eyes closed :) - This speaker has amazing clarity in it's sound.
If 5.1 so Edifier S550

If mostly for listening music purpose so Swans M50W or Swans M200MK2 without a doubt. You need to hear it to believe it.

OP
aroraanant

aroraanant

Explorer
^^^^
Where can I hear them, any showroom or store in delhi or NCR?

And I would opt for 5.1, already own a normal 2.1 altec lansing speakers which costs around 1.5k or so.

High-Fidelity

Journeyman
^My Dear Friend, Your Altec Lansing normal 2.1 is just nothing before Swans M50W or M200MK2. When you listen to music on these 2 speaker set. You will forget what Altec Lansing was.

As you said your priority is music mostly so definitely 2.0 or 2.1 and if more movies so you can opt for 5.1.

With 5.1, placement plays a significant role, mostly people just place all the 2 front and center before them on the table so you are doing wrong here.

One more thing Swans M50W has an exceptional movies/gaming performance too.

Now decide what you want the speakers for - More Music or more movies?

OP
aroraanant

aroraanant

Explorer
How about both...
Music will played all the time but yes I love to watch movies and when I will have something good in my room then say almost I will watch a movie daily in night before going to bed.

High-Fidelity

Journeyman
^^Then Definitely Swans M200MK2 or Swans M50W, There is a guy forum name "Chicha" has bought Swans M200MK2 model and here is his expression:

2.1 Setup for PC - Page 4

May be the above link help you

MegaMind

Human Spambot
If Edifier S550 lies within your budget, get them eyes closed.. On budget constraint look for Z906...

OP
aroraanant

aroraanant

Explorer
Sorry for bumping this old thread.
I have auditioned few sony and LG HT, in Sony the only one which attracted me was E490 but I don't know it is worth or not, in LG I saw the 855 model which is quite good for its price.
I am not able to audition onkyo or yamaha models as they are not available in my city.
Now there is a new thing which has come up.
How are Pioneer HT?
I saw one on Pioneer official website, the model is RS32, anyone has any idea about it? And how much would it cost in local market, on website the price is 41k.
And anyone knows how are Philips HT? I saw bad reviews of them on flipkart, people say they have issues with video playback and it also doesn't support much formats, what you guys have to say on this.
A friend of mine is after my life to buy Sony HT-M5, which is costing me around 40k, whose MRP is 50k.It is not available on sony stores as very few people buy these type of products.It is a component HTS.Anyone knows about it?
And I am not going to buy Z906 or any edifier speakers.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
read this & tell your friend that now-a-days sony is not the best for anything(even in lcd/led many samsung models beat sony at same/lower price):
*forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/1951270
They claim the main unit consumes 185W. It's quite a feat to get 2000W out at the speakers with only 185w in (even if the subs have their own amps)IMO this is the marketing department at Sony winning over engineers.
here people don't know much about AVRs/HT system but ask on any reputed international audio/video forum & most recommendations will be for yamaha,onkyo & denon.

The Incinerator

Human Spambot
Onkyo HT -S3400 - Rs 24000 at this price point its the best. There is an Yamaha YHT 196 for less around Rs 21500 too, but for a little more the Onkyo does better. Denons are more expensive and have warmer sound.

And by the way they all sound better than the Logitechs and Creatives,albeit they cost more and come with real 5.1 amplifiers minus the source.

Now this forum knows a lot about Audio here.... so feel free to ask. You will get way better results than the so called audio forums. Feel free to ask about anything from Arcams to Zandens or downright analogue to digitals.

Last edited:

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
^^by here i meant India/indian shops/markets.i know there are audiophiles here as well as on forums like techenclave,erodov,hifivision etc but they are in minority & compared to international forums like AVS awareness level is comparatively much lower among normal members.

The Incinerator

Human Spambot
^^
You have no Idea as to what you can get here in India in terms of Hi End Audio. I dare say that its even way better than some Gulf countries in availability of brands. When its stereo AVS and Whathifi is the worst that can happen as forums. If you really wanna hone your knowledge visit forums like Audiogon Stereophile and 6moons etc etc.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
i agree that i don't have much idea about availability of hi end audio products in India but i don't agree with your comment about AVS.maybe it is not the best source but it definitely has some good points.i remember some very good discussions about AVR setups with respect to S/PDIF passthrough & avoiding audio sync issues when using different connections for audio & video using hdmi & S/PDIF port on different devices like AVR/DVR/TV.also like the name suggests AVS is more of a audio+video setup oriented forum which most average home users are.there is no point in buying high end swan speakers & denon AVR if you find out that refresh rate mismatch between your display & video frame rate is ruining your watching experience.not exactly an audiophile's problem but certainly something average home user would be interested in.

Top Bottom