Need a Good Speaker or a Home Theatre

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
refresh rate is applicable to CRT while frame rate is for LCD.i just sometimes forget to use frame rate because of old habit(still using CRT monitor btw).

jitters.especially annoying with the usual 60Hz lcd monitor(& many low end lcd tv) & 23.976p,24p & 25p videos.reclock is used by many to correct such issues but that comes at the cost of audio quality issue because of certain limitations of reclock in passing audio data especially with pass-through.windows vista/7 aero handles Vsync & tearing issues very well compared to XP but it is the jitters which is the main issue & the reason why AVS,doom & similar forums are filled with threads regarding changing monitor frame rate to achieve smooth playback using various tools/players/settings(mpc-hc inbuilt monitor frame rate changer seems most popular at the moment but again has some limitations).

Last edited:

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
read post#16 by me.after reading that post you should not have any doubt but in case you still have here is the answer:if you want quality get yamaha,onkyo or denon.if not then get whatever you prefer/recommended by friend/budget permits.

The Incinerator

Human Spambot
@ OP
Onkyo HT -S3400 - Rs 24000 at this price point its the best. There is an Yamaha YHT 196 for less around Rs 21500 too, but for a little more the Onkyo does better. Denons are more expensive and have warmer sound.

And by the way they all sound better than the Logitechs and Creatives,albeit they cost more and come with real 5.1 amplifiers minus the source.

Last edited:
OP
aroraanant

aroraanant

Explorer
I recently auditioned Yamaha 196 but was not impressed with its quality.
Sony E-490 is good but it is not as loud as the other systems, but it has got a Blue ray player too.But still I am not much impressed with it, don't whether to keep it as an option or not.
Heard few philips,samsung and LG Home theaters too.But I can't make a decision among them.
Was not able to find onkyo anywhere.
I didn't came through any system that attracts you at once and your heart yes this is it,this is the one which I should buy.

The Incinerator

Human Spambot
Call Onkyo up at 9999767077 in Haryana and ask if they have someone selling Onkyo at Jalandhar or Call the Onkyo Helpline @ 39704455.

Onkyo Delhi - 40502619 Chittaranjan Park not NCR

How much are you willing to spend? Ill help you configure.

Last edited:
OP
aroraanant

aroraanant

Explorer
I don't live in Jalandhar anymore, I will buy one from delhi.
Well I don't have a fixed budget, it is flexible, say around 20-25k.May be more if it is worth it.

GhorMaanas

The Vagrant Seeker
i believe onkyos & denons could be auditioned at reliance digital as well.

EDIT: Onkyo 3500 particularly is touted as being very good currently.

Last edited:

The Incinerator

Human Spambot
I don't live in Jalandhar anymore, I will buy one from delhi.
Well I don't have a fixed budget, it is flexible, say around 20-25k.May be more if it is worth it.

Chittaranjan Park in and around has the two most renowned Hi End audio sellers in India catering from Rs 50,00,000 Krells to Rs 25,000 Onkyos. Pay them a visit. For 25K check the Onkyo ST 3400 as the 3500 will be more.Onkyo number is already provided.Do bargain.

OP
aroraanant

aroraanant

Explorer
I visited Croma, jumbo and a few more multi brand stores apart from samsung,philips exclusive showrooms, still reliance is left.Now I will visit them on 15th or 16th of this month.

And also I have heard Edifier S730 and that small beauty beats almost every home theatre system available out there, but I want to buy a 5.1 surround system and also I can't plug in a USB drive or any other external audio device so have to cut it out of my list but I still love it.

GhorMaanas

The Vagrant Seeker
@aroraanant - if allowed to segregate, i would categorise some systems for you:

1. HTiB - these are more than *just* speakers. denon 1312xp (or any newer model, if available) would be my pick. though i don't have a personal experience, but according to widespread feedback, denons are more 'musical' HTiBs as compared to onkyos. moreover, this one has an active sub & also gives you the flexibility to upgrade the system's speakers to something better, if you wish to do so in future. denon HTiBs, in the same category, used to come for quite a higher price earlier (above 40k....still they are a little costlier than onkyos), but to compete with other players in the market, denon reduced the costs, keeping quality almost the same (except that the wooden speakers were replaced with plastic ones). but choice in this segment HIGHLY depends on a personal auditions, as you have already discovered in case of yamaha HTiB earlier. so keep looking & auditioning. you won't need a sound-card in a PC to hook them up with your desktop. these are already equipped with an AVR as you already know. unlike *just* speaker systems, these are capable of HD Audio passthrough, like DTS HD-MA, Dobly TrueHD, etc.

2. Speakers - in this segment, there are quite some good options --> energy take classic 5.1, jamo A102 HCS series & others, pioneer SP-PK21BS (probably the most powerful & bulkier of the lot), and some others which you will get to know when you visit Chittaranjan Park at New Delhi, as told to you by The Incinerator above. with these, you will need either an AVR or a sound-card with a good amp onboard (either of these is a must!).

OP
aroraanant

aroraanant

Explorer
^^^^
I would like to make one thing clear(I have told this before also).
I don't have a PC anymore,so I will be using a usb drive, some times my mobile or laptop and sometimes will be plugging it with samsung LED TV.
So that is the reason I can't pick any 5.1 home theatre system as I can't install a sound card.
And I don't have any knowledge about any AVR or amp..

GhorMaanas

The Vagrant Seeker
@aroraanant - so what if you can't use your PC?! you have good Tripathi chipset solutions (USB DAC+Amp) for cheap, as well as products like EZAir. but going by your requirements, it seems as if music-listening is your priority, isn't it? even if you were to somehow connect a 5.1 HT to your laptop, the output won't be so good is what i feel (unless your laptop has a S/PDIF output).

and does your laptop has HDMI out? if yes, then getting an HTiB like denon or onkyo makes sense, because they HAVE AVR in the package (connect your laptop to them through HDMI). since USB playback is crucial to you, onkyo 3500 should be your choice then. i hope you get to audition them at reliance (check at reliance gurgaon too, at delhi-gurgaon border. let me know if you need their contact-details).

also, if am correct in gauging that music-listening is your prime-requirement, then confirm with me. there are ample solutions for solid budget amps with USB-playback feature & great-sounding passive speakers. the only catch here is that you will have to sacrifice your 5.1 aspirations for that. but at your specified budget, you will get a really good music set-up (which would work well with movies too, but ofcourse, without the surround sound).

so all-in-all it comes to --> if you really wish to have a 5.1 set-up with USB-playback as a feature, onkyo 3500 is your answer! (though search for a denon equivalent too). i seriously hope your laptop has HDMI out and/or S/PDIF output. things will be so easy in that case! and if not, then we have a couple of external 5.1 sound cards to be used with the laptop from creative. we will move over to that option then.

and if you could do without a 5.1 system, then we have ample of good options!

make your choice :)

Last edited:
OP
aroraanant

aroraanant

Explorer
Yes listening to music is my priority but will also be watching movies while connecting it with a led tv, so both the cases are to be considered.
I have 3 laptops out of which 2 laptops have HDMI out but my macbook pro doesn't, but for that I can buy a mini diplay port to hdmi convertor so that is not an issue.

But one thing I would like to make clear is that I want something with a great output(it should be enough loud) so that in my house when I have parties it can be played.

P.S.-No showoff(mentioning this was important I think) but my house is too big and so accordingly something big/loud will be required.Its not a flat or a small house,its a mansion

The Incinerator

Human Spambot
Somthing big and loud would require more money and Rs 20/30K is nothing when making a proper HT set up. Some people just buy cables for that kind of money.If you spend around Rs 65K and above you are gonna get in to the Entry Level Club of separates based real HT set up and not just HTiBs which is all youll get at Rs 20/30K

GhorMaanas

The Vagrant Seeker
Yes listening to music is my priority but will also be watching movies while connecting it with a led tv, so both the cases are to be considered.
I have 3 laptops out of which 2 laptops have HDMI out but my macbook pro doesn't, but for that I can buy a mini diplay port to hdmi convertor so that is not an issue.

But one thing I would like to make clear is that I want something with a great output(it should be enough loud) so that in my house when I have parties it can be played.

P.S.-No showoff(mentioning this was important I think) but my house is too big and so accordingly something big/loud will be required.Its not a flat or a small house,its a mansion

alright. so i presume you have a kothi (that's what an independent bungalow/mansion called in NCR & delhi, isn't it?! ;))?!

yes, you had mentioned about your need of playing speakers at parties in your OP. in what i can quickly think of, one option is having a denon package (without its sub) & getting a JBL ES250 sub through amazon.de for near 22k (sub alone). as The Incinerator has put it above, from now onwards, things would get expensive :|

for the other option, we would like to know by how much could you stretch your budget. please check your PM.

Last edited:
OP
aroraanant

aroraanant

Explorer
Hey I can't spend that much, and if in any case I have to spend that much then people say Sony M5 component system is very good, and I getting that for 40-42k from infibeam otherwise in showrooms it is costly

GhorMaanas

The Vagrant Seeker
in that case, i would recommend to build your system in steps. many people go this way. start with an AVR and floorstanders, and then gradually as you gather funds, keep building up the system. can't say much about the sony system, except that it would be better if you could get to demo them for their bass & HD audio decoding capabilities. and at that price, you could get denon 1312xp + wharfedale's 5.1 system OR onkyo 3500 (for your USB playback).

and don't limit yourself to just fresh online or local deals. you get fantastic components in seconds sale too for really great prices! do let us know the final fixed amount you would like to spend at a single time, & we'll come up with the right equipment in that price-bracket for you! no need to rush :)

Last edited:
Top Bottom