Need a Good Speaker or a Home Theatre

OP
aroraanant

aroraanant

Explorer
Went to Reliance Digital, Ambience Mall, Vasant Vihar, Delhi.They had a very good collection of HT including Pioneer, JBL, Onkyo and many more. JBL High end systems didn't impressed me, their main person who use to handle HT section was not available so couldn't audition Pioneer and the 2 speakers of onkyo 3400 speakers were having issuess, but with the rest of speakers it was ok but can't comment more about it as was not able to audition full setup.
Then we visited the Jumbo store at the same place, and there was the Sony Component System HT-M5 Hone Theatre, and it was something out of the world, I can't tell you guys how good its sound was and look wise also nothing beats it, no distortion on extreme high volume, it was just something which anyone would approve at a single shot but it was way too costly, its MRP is 50k and Jumbo price was 48.1k, then after few talks then final price which was offered to me was 46.5k.
And then I contacted a friend of mine who is the biggest dealer of Agra region, he offered me the same at a very good price, the price offered to me is 40.8k. I was literally shocked to by the price he quoted me, and finally I booked the system, he said to me he will take some time to get as these system are not widely available, he asked me to wait till Monday.(he told me that he is getting the same at 40.8k and will give me at the same price, though I don't trust him on that part)
Now I would like to ask one thing to you guys(if anyone is aware of the same), is there so much margin to these people, I mean there is difference of around 6k.
Someone said to me that I may be getting a grey market product, but I don't think that he will give me a grey market product and considering that he is an official dealer and will be giving me the bill for the same.What you guys have to say on this.

GhorMaanas

The Vagrant Seeker
glad to know that you got to audition that sony system, as well as were impressed by it! we need pics of it when you get that :p

regarding margin, it must be the same case as is with TVs, or for that matter, with consumer electronics. the prices include the base-price of the product from the brand + various taxes & duties + what-nots + dealer's profit (which alone can be anything upto 10k and beyond that as well). when compared to overseas prices we come to know how we pay heavily. this forms a sort of basic sketch of the scenario. many say that NEVER buy such consumer electronics at MRP; bargain persistently.

OP
aroraanant

aroraanant

Explorer
Just now I got the call from that guy and he said to me that the price quoted was old one and now the prices have changed a bit and will cost me 42.5k

@GhorMaanas- Bro I want you to audition that system, tough it will very hard for you to find it, I personally visited more than 20 showrooms and by chance it was available at Jumbo Electronics.It is something which you will actually appreciate, it comes with an AVR. Seriously bro I want you to have a look at that sytem, I am sure you gonna love it.It is not like any common Home theatre system, it is something different, it is a component system after all.

The Incinerator

Human Spambot
When you have a budget like Rs 40000 get something that honestly sounds like Rs 40000. That Sony is full of bass bass and bass and nothing else.You think that Sony is giving you a full blown AVR ....errrr .....The Real Sony STR (AVR series) dont come cheap and those that you are getting in that bundle are just some cheap Chinese made Falcon DSP based BASIC dd/dts surround amplifier with Bangalore/China made Bolton speakers,tuned by Sony!!!. Thats the reality.And more over these dont last beyond three years or so.

Better get an award winning combination like
BOSTON ACOUSTICS SOUNDWARE XS 5.1 Boston Acoustics SoundWare XS 5.1
Marantz MR1501 Marantz NR1501 Slimline 7.1 AV Receiver

Last edited:

GhorMaanas

The Vagrant Seeker
Just now I got the call from that guy and he said to me that the price quoted was old one and now the prices have changed a bit and will cost me 42.5k

@GhorMaanas- Bro I want you to audition that system, tough it will very hard for you to find it, I personally visited more than 20 showrooms and by chance it was available at Jumbo Electronics.It is something which you will actually appreciate, it comes with an AVR. Seriously bro I want you to have a look at that sytem, I am sure you gonna love it.It is not like any common Home theatre system, it is something different, it is a component system after all.

yeah, i believe it would be very difficult to find one for audition. but i still hope i do get to :)

OP
aroraanant

aroraanant

Explorer
When you have a budget like Rs 40000 get something that honestly sounds like Rs 40000. That Sony is full of bass bass and bass and nothing else.You think that Sony is giving you a full blown AVR ....errrr .....The Real Sony STR (AVR series) dont come cheap and those that you are getting in that bundle are just some cheap Chinese made Falcon DSP based BASIC dd/dts surround amplifier with Bangalore/China made Bolton speakers,tuned by Sony!!!. Thats the reality.And more over these dont last beyond three years or so.

Better get an award winning combination like
BOSTON ACOUSTICS SOUNDWARE XS 5.1 Boston Acoustics SoundWare XS 5.1
Marantz MR1501 Marantz NR1501 Slimline 7.1 AV Receiver
See I don't think I need to be so much into this AVR stuff and all, I know you guys are right buy still I think the Sony M5 will suffice my needs.
But please you guys don't say that it won't last for long, after all I am spending such a huge amount and I only know how I am doing that much investment, it is very hard for me to spare such a huge amount. I really want you guys to audition the same and have a look at it as soon as possible and then tell me what is right and wrong as I have auditioned a lot of systems and found this one to be too good.Plz guys have a look at it and try to audition it as I have already ordered it and still I want you guys to say "yes, this is worth it" because without your approval I don't think I should buy it as you guys have more knowledge than me in this field.According to me this was the best I have auditioned till date.

The Incinerator

Human Spambot
^^ Its big sound for the money. Thats all I can say.
Sound is subjective. If you liked the Sony then honestly you should buy it. There is no point how good and accurate a system I might configure at the end of the day if the sound dosnt appeal to you then its not worth anything at all. Get some good speaker cables and enjoy the Sony. If possible try and change the power cord of the surround amp and get an UKG 3 x 1.5 mmsq cable,instead.

OP
aroraanant

aroraanant

Explorer
Its not like that I like sony, this is the only system which I liked specially in terms of sound.
See some people likes the Yamaha 196, but to me it sounded horrible.
Thanks for the power cord suggestion, but what is UKG in UKG 3x1.5 mmsq cable and what is so special about it, can I know in detail about this power chord.And can I get it easily and how much does it cost?

The Incinerator

Human Spambot
It has better quality copper, more copper and thicker insulation. Resistance is less. It makes the sound more authoritative. It wont cost a lot. Should be within Rs 500 easily.Try and connect the Sony System to a Belkin Gold surge protector.It helps for a cleaner sound.

GhorMaanas

The Vagrant Seeker
The Incinerator is right when he says that sound is subjective. even after all the suggestions & advices one gets to read/hear, the most striking (& perhaps the governing factor) one which comes in silently at the end is - "and lastly, trust your ears!" so that is it!
You liked the sound of M5 over several others. similarly, amongst the hullabaloo of denons & onkyos, there are many people who don't like either onkyo at all, some don't like denon (though i haven't encountered one such :p), or some may completely ditch both of them for something better. path to be followed everywhere is simple --> move from objectivity towards subjectivity! so go on gladly with what you have decided to finally serve your ears :)

OP
aroraanant

aroraanant

Explorer
Guys I got it last night at my home and believe me it is just too good, everyone loved it.And my neighbors are wondering that am I having a DJ party all day long...he he...
Will post a pic soon.... ;)

View attachment 7885
Here goes the system, BTW its a temporary setup right now.

rockfella

Ambassador of Buzz
OP here are your options:
Edifier S550 if you want good 5.1 surround (movies and music)
Edifier S530 if you are on budget and want only 2.1
Swans 2.1 are high end and very superior, get the 2.1 set-up if you can extend your budget.
STAY AWAY FROM LOGITECH AND CREATIVE CRAP.
EDIT: You bought it already :p Congrats!

Invalid attachment! What did you buy? Post product link as well. Congrats again!
Guys I got it last night at my home and believe me it is just too good, everyone loved it.And my neighbors are wondering that am I having a DJ party all day long...he he...
Will post a pic soon.... ;)

View attachment 7885
Here goes the system, BTW its a temporary setup right now.

Last edited:
Top Bottom