Need a Gaming PC , Budget ~ 80K

Aesir

Broken In
Looking to get back into gaming. Very limited experience with PC assembly till now.

1. What is the purpose of the computer? What all applications and games are you going to run?
Ans: Gaming. Expect it to be able to run Crysis 2, BF3, GTA IV, Witcher 2, Skyrim, Metro 2033, Mass Effect 3 and the like at a solid 50+ FPS ALWAYS at ultra (or atleast V. High) at HD resolutions. Don't care about future proofing much, 1 year is good enough for me.

2. What is your overall budget? If you can extend a bit for a more balanced configuration, then mention this too.
Ans: Around 80K TOTAL (including monitor), can extend to 85k if REALLY justified. Around 75K will be the best though :oops:

3. Planning to overclock?
Ans: Nope, no idea how to do that. But willing to learn if it brings the cost down substantially (atleast 5k)

4. Which Operating System are you planning to use?
Ans: Windows 7

5. How much hard drive space is needed?
Ans: ~ 500gb sounds good. Please aware me in short on SSDs

6. Do you want to buy a monitor? If yes, please mention which screen size and resolution do you want. If you already have a monitor and want to reuse it, again mention the size and resolution of monitor you have.
Ans: Yes. Anywhere around 19-22 inches, willing to sacrifice screen size for other components, resolution of 1920*1080

7. Which components you DON'T want to buy or which components you already have and plan on reusing?
Ans: Won't need keyboard, mouse, speakers for now

8. When are you planning to buy the system?
Ans: Within a month

9. Have you ever built a desktop before or will this be done by an assembler?
Ans: Haven't built one, but shouldn't be a problem.

10. Where do you live? Are you buying locally? Are you open to buying stuff from online shops if you don't get locally?
Ans: That's the problem. Local dealers don't stock most of these components, except the monitor and processor.
I will be buying these online. I just now read here about smcinternational, mdcomputers and itwares, any reason I should prefer one over the other? Any other websites that might be cheap and reliable?

11. Anything else which you would like to say?
Ans: Do you think I could fit a 7970 in that budget? If so, is it worth it? Or is 7870 enough to run Crysis 2, Witcher 2 etc at Ultra with >50fps ATLEAST, at HD res?

I saw an article saying prices of these cards were slashed yesterday. How long do you reckon before these apply to the Indian online sites as well? Should I wait?

AMD drops Radeon HD prices | bit-tech.net

Will be asking you guys a lot of questions in the near future. Thanks for taking the time to read.

sharang.d

Youngling
i5-2500k|13,000
Asus P8Z77-V|13,000
CM Hyper 212 EVO|2,100
G.Skill 1600Mhz 4G X 2|3,100
Corsair TX650v2|6,500
Corsair 400R|4,500
Benq G2222HDL|8,000
500GB HDD|4,000
Total|54,200
So that's 54k w/o UPS and GPU

3. Planning to overclock?
Ans: Nope, no idea how to do that. But willing to learn if it brings the cost down substantially (atleast 5k)
It's easy to learn and you should go for it because newer games demand higher processing power day by day.

11. Anything else which you would like to say?
Ans: Do you think I could fit a 7970 in that budget? If so, is it worth it? Or is 7870 enough to run Crysis 2, Witcher 2 etc at Ultra with >50fps ATLEAST, at HD res?

I saw an article saying prices of these cards were slashed yesterday. How long do you reckon before these apply to the Indian online sites as well? Should I wait?
IMO 7970 is too much overkill :p
In any case I think it will take at least more than a month for the price cut to reflect in India. So you might as well use your old GPU(if you have one) for a month or two and buy a new GPU later.

Don't care about future proofing much, 1 year is good enough for me.
If you don't care about future proofing you could probably get a whole new PC around 50-60k which will play all games up to date and for a year more.
IGNORE THIS COMPLETE POST OF MINE IF YOU REALLY JUST WANT A PC WHICH WILL BE THE BEST FOR ONLY A YEAR

About SSD I won't say much because I personally don't think 6k price is justified for 64GB of storage even if its at the speed of light :\
For a gaming PC you shouldn't waste 6k-11k on SSD. It can be better utilized elsewhere.
Also this can be kept open as future update ;)

Last edited:
OP
A

Aesir

Broken In
Thanks for the prompt reply.

i5-2500k|13,000
Asus P8Z77-V|13,000
CM Hyper 212 EVO|2,100
G.Skill 1600Mhz 4G X 2|3,100
Corsair TX650v2|6,500
Corsair 400R|4,500
Benq G2222HDL|8,000
500GB HDD|4,000
Total|54,200
So that's 54k w/o UPS and GPU

IMO 7970 is too much overkill :p
In any case I think it will take at least more than a month for the price cut to reflect in India. So you might as well use your old GPU(if you have one) for a month or two and buy a new GPU later.

Is it so? I am new here and I think I should check out the graphics card sub-section first. Thing is I am fed up of the 25-35 fps range lol. Its playable but it's not quite enjoyable for me. Been tweaking inis and AA and config files so much that now I just feel like going in blindly and getting a high end card. If the 7870 can get me 50+ fps on crysis 2, GTA IV and Witcher 2 on ultra/V.high consistently, I will go with it definitely.
And I will buy it at the end of the month, price cut or not.

If you don't care about future proofing you could probably get a whole new PC around 50-60k which will play all games up to date and for a year more.
IGNORE THIS COMPLETE POST OF MINE IF YOU REALLY JUST WANT A PC WHICH WILL BE THE BEST FOR ONLY A YEAR

About SSD I won't say much because I personally don't think 6k price is justified for 64GB of storage even if its at the speed of light :\
For a gaming PC you shouldn't waste 6k-11k on SSD. It can be better utilized elsewhere.
Also this can be kept open as future update ;)

Well, in a way I do have 75k to spend whatever way I want, I wouldn't mind if I can future proof it in that amount, so I am surely going for the config you posted for now :)

And like you advised, I can buy a SSD later too, so that's off the list.

Another question, the prices that you guys quote, are they in the site's database or do you refer to a 3rd party for prices?

Appreciate your help.

rahulmax

Broken In
If your purpose is solely GAMING then Don't forget the GTX 670... It's a beast card.. beats HD7970 and is within your budget.
with a gtx 670 you will be future proof as well.

Go for the gigabyte windforce version or asus dcu2t prices must b around 30k
Awesome card seriously!!

asus dcu2t gtx 670 and zotac gtx 670 AMP.. beats the stock gtx 680.

go for one of the two.

My advice!!
Motherboard : asus p8z77-m -10k
Processor : I7 3770k - 22k or i5 2500k -12k
Cooler : Hyper 212 evo - 2k
Ram : Gskill 1600mhz 4gbx2 -3k
Psu : Corsair gs600 - 4k
Cabinet : Corsair 400r - 4.5k or CM elite 430 - 2.5k
Monitor : benq g222hdl - 8k
HDD : WD 500gb -4k
Ups : Microteck 800va - 2.5k
Gpu : zotac gtx 670 amp - 30k

Total 90000/-

or

total 78000/- (processor i5 2500k and cabinet CMelite 430)

dashing.sujay

Moving
Staff member
^i7 is neither needed, nor recommended (will exceed the budget).

Another question, the prices that you guys quote, are they in the site's database or do you refer to a 3rd party for prices?

Third party sites like you mentioned in first post.

For 670 Vs 7970, better vickybat Vs ico should come here :p

sharang.d

Youngling
I still say 7970 or 670 is overkill. They're made for multi monitor displays.

@OP
It's better if you check out some benchmarks and see which card gives how much fps in which game. Then decide. ;)

Cheers

OP
A

Aesir

Broken In
Right now I can go one of two ways regarding the graphics card:

1) Up my budget to 35-36k for the graphics card. Although I could do this, I'd rather not if it's total overkill. In this case, what would be the better card (mainly performance wise, I will be using a single monitor at 19080*1080?[) As I understand, either of these 2 cards should hold good for 2-3 years

Zotac GTX 680 = Rs. 34k on mdcomputers
Sapphire AMD 7970 = Rs 36k on Flipkart

2) Keep it under 30k, the choices I believe are:

Asus/Zotac NVIDIA GTX 670 DC2T= 29k on mdcomputers
Gigabyte AMD 7870 OC =23k on flipkart
Sapphire AMD/ATI HD 7950 = 29k on flipkart

Let's say I get the rest of the config as mentioned in the first reply ^^ what would be the first part to bottleneck the rest of the system?

Also, do flipkart and mdcomputers have a good reputation regarding such products? Any other online store you guys prefer?

GTX 670... It's a beast card.. beats HD7970 and is within your budget.
with a gtx 670 you will be future proof as well.

zotac gtx 670 AMP.. beats the stock gtx 680.

Total 90000/-

or

total 78000/- (processor i5 2500k and cabinet CMelite 430)

Is this true? 680 appears to be ~5k costlier than the 670. Dammit I'm pretty confused for no reason.

In summary, with the above configs, I should be able to get everything but the GPU for 55k. With a 35k gfx card (if justified), I could make a mean gaming machine for 90k total. But with a 30k 670 or 25k 7870, I could save 10-15k. wut do?

Myth

Cyborg Agent
Check out the gaming benchmarks.
GeForce GTX 670 2 GB Review: Is It Already Time To Forget GTX 680? : Giving GK104 A Haircut

WILDLEGHORN

Journeyman
^ +1 to above post

Get Gtx 670 & Overclock that beast! You will be saving considerable amount of money which can be spent somewhere else like a big SSD drive, etc...

rahulmax

Broken In
Aesir; Is this true? 680 appears to be ~5k costlier than the 670. Dammit I'm pretty confused for no reason. [/QUOTE said:
Dude YES.. the zotac gtx 670 (AMP) edition.. does beat the STOCK gtx 680!! it also beats hd 7970 by quite some margin!!

check this out- ZOTAC GeForce GTX 670 AMP! Edition 2 GB Review | techPowerUp

the zotac gtx 670 AMP is around 30k, i'd say go for it.. Don't think about it being overkill, you never know how demanding the games would be coming in later years..!! it will serve you well for 2-3 yrs..

sharang.d

Youngling
Check out reviews of the following cards from different brands:
HD 7870, HD 7950, HD7970
and GTX 670

See how much fps each of them would give you in different games.
If you asked a generic question like which is the best card obviously the one with the higher value will beat the one with the lower value. So the questions is whether you really need it or not.

Check benchmarks and decide yourself.

OP
A

Aesir

Broken In
Thanks for replying to my queries everyone.

Finally decided on getting the ZOTAC 670 for 29k, rest of the config from the first reply.

Going to order in a couple days, have a few general questions that I'll post tomorrow.

rahulmax

Broken In

Finally decided on getting the ZOTAC 670 for 29k, rest of the config from the first reply.

Going to order in a couple days, have a few general questions that I'll post tomorrow.

NOOOOO DUDE!!! not the reference zotac gtx 670.

ZOTAC GTX 670 (AMP EDITION!!!!!)

ZOTAC GTX 670 AMP EDITION <--- here's the link

this one... go for it!!!!!

if you buying from some where else, check if its the AMP EDITION or not!! else buy from the website above!!!

Last edited:

ashis_lakra

Gaming Unlimited

Where are you getting it at 29k ?

OP
A

Aesir

Broken In
NOOOOO DUDE!!! not the reference zotac gtx 670.

ZOTAC GTX 670 (AMP EDITION!!!!!)

ZOTAC GTX 670 AMP EDITION <--- here's the link

this one... go for it!!!!!

if you buying from some where else, check if its the AMP EDITION or not!! else buy from the website above!!!

Yes that's the one I was going to buy. Thanks for the heads up.

To the dude above^^, sorry I misquoted the price, confused with another one. It's actually 30,160

Also, I read that the Zotac GTX 670 AMP takes up 3 slots, how many does the Corsair 400R have? Are these PCIe slots being talked about here?

Also, will I need to buy any extra cables for the whole setup?

Specially the monitor Benq222HDl, I read that it does not have an HDMI port.

Last edited:

rahulmax

Broken In
Also, I read that the Zotac GTX 670 AMP takes up 3 slots, how many does the Corsair 400R have? Are these PCIe slots being talked about here?

You don't need to worry about that if you are not going to SLI them.

Corsair 400r has plenty so don't worry.

As for the monitor , it has a d-dvi port but not hdmi, you will need a d-dvi to hdmi converter. its must be pretty cheap!!

sharang.d

Youngling
how many does the Corsair 400R have? Are these PCIe slots being talked about here?

Also, will I need to buy any extra cables for the whole setup?

Specially the monitor Benq222HDl, I read that it does not have an HDMI port.

1) 8
2) yes
3) I don't know which cables come with your GPU and monitor. You'll need a single DVI cable for connecting your monitor to the CPU.
4) HDMI is basically for devices which can output audio+video(TVs). Image quality of DVI-I/D is same as HDMI. Only thing is that HDMI carries an extra channel along with video i.e audio.

If you still insist on having a monitor with an HDMI port just for the kicks(I did) look for monitors with it. I only suggested you a vfm and popular monitor. There are better!
The other option is Buy a HDMI female to DVI male adapter.

OP
A

Aesir

Broken In
1) 8
2) yes
3) I don't know which cables come with your GPU and monitor. You'll need a single DVI cable for connecting your monitor to the CPU.
4) HDMI is basically for devices which can output audio+video(TVs). Image quality of DVI-I/D is same as HDMI. Only thing is that HDMI carries an extra channel along with video i.e audio.

If you still insist on having a monitor with an HDMI port just for the kicks(I did) look for monitors with it. I only suggested you a vfm and popular monitor. There are better!
The other option is Buy a HDMI female to DVI male adapter.

I think I will look for an HDMI monitor, because I could use it as a TV too in the living room.

I am looking for something sub 10k with ~20-21 inch size, which one do you have?

Top Bottom