my WD Passport Essential SE query

Status
Not open for further replies.

insaneYLN

In the zone
Hello Friends :wave:

I have a query regarding my newly purchased portable hard drive, a Western Digital My Passport Esential SE 1TB USB 3.0 :smile:

After connecting it to my system & opening the partition aptly named "My Passport", there appear some pre-existing contents comprising of 4 folders titled Extras, User Manuals, WD SmartWare, & WD SmartWare for Mac along with 2 setup files titled WD Quick Formatter & WD SmartWare.

An uncle has requested me to give him a few movies, but the problem is that his system is laden with infections. Hence, i am apprehensive that the contents on my portable hard drive (the .exe files) may get infected & hence the need to format the drive may arise.
So, if i copy the pre-exisiting contents on the drive, burn them to a disc & then copy them back to the drive (incase i format it), cause any problems?

I am contemplating it as the best solution in the event of my drive getting infected. :ashamed:

I apologise for my naive queries but i want to be safe rather than sorry. This is my very first portable hard drive so you all can understand my craziness.
:crazy:

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
No It should not create any issue - fell free to backup those HDD contents on a blank CD/DVD.

OP
I

insaneYLN

In the zone
Sorry, a little late on this, but it turns out that i may not backup the "pre-existing contents" on my portable drive to recordable media. :ashamed:

WD provides it as a package available for download, it is titled - WD SmartWare Disk Image for Windows on their website. :duh2:
WD SES driver download and instructions for recovering the WD SmartWare installer

I have a general query though, may i please know where to get a good pouch/carry case for this portable drive? Western Digital have their "brand marked" carry cases for sale on their website listed under accessories but i do not know where to get them here in India.
Please inform me.
:pray:

Thank you for your patience my Friends.
:smile:

OP
I

insaneYLN

In the zone
Hello Friends :)

Sorry, i have not been quite active in the previous 3 months or so. :oops:

I have been lending my external hard disk to my friends & relatives since i have purchased it!
Presently, it is with me but has come back with quite some scratches. :sad:
The scratches are visible to the naked eye. :cryeyesout:

Please tell me (an online store or anything relevant) where i could get a good carry case or protective pouch for my external hard drive.

Is there any case/pouch available that encloses the drive & yet has an outlet for the USB cable? This will eliminate the need for the drive to be removed from the case/pouch everytime it needs to be connected to a computer.

Need your advise & help Friends.
:pray:

abhidev

Human Spambot
same here guys....even i hv got scratches on my hdd....pls suggest a good pouch for the same and from where...thanx in advance....also one more doubt...will the preloaded contents on the hdd get erased after formatting or they still will exist after formatting??

OP
I

insaneYLN

In the zone
also one more doubt...will the preloaded contents on the hdd get erased after formatting or they still will exist after formatting??

Hey Buddy, do you mean the folder contents of Extras, User Manuals, WD SmartWare, & WD SmartWare for Mac along with 2 setup files titled WD Quick Formatter & WD SmartWare?

If the above is your concern then have a look here -
WD SES driver download and instructions for recovering the WD SmartWare installer

I have another query, rather a concern. I am using the application HD Tune Pro 4.60, under the Health tab, there is a warning status for [C5] Current Pending Sector reported for my external hard disk.
The description is "Number Of Unstable Sectors : 2" & the status is "The Drive Has Unstable Sectors".
:blink:

Is there a problem with this, my recently purchased external hard disk? If so then what should i do next?
Is HD Tune Pro a reliable application or would any of you suggest/recommend another application?
:unsure:

Thank you for your patience.

UPDATE
I ran an Error Scan in HD Tune Pro & there were damaged blocks reported.
Also, the number of unstable sectors under for [C5] Current Pending Sector under Health has increased from 2 to 3 now.
I also got the dreaded Windows Delayed Write Failed pop-up.

I am very worried now. Should i send the hard disk for replacement? I reckon i must call Western Digital's Customer Care Service toll free number first & inform them.

Please help.
:sad:

abhidev

Human Spambot
hmmm..so it seems the contents are not permanent....anyways for your query regarding the bad sectors...try scanning the disc with the WD smartware app....it scans for errors too.

Zangetsu

I am the master of my Fate.
So, if i copy the pre-exisiting contents on the drive, burn them to a disc & then copy them back to the drive (incase i format it), cause any problems?

the contents u get in a new HDD External can be backed up in CD/DVD...
& after a format can be copied to it again...

also for viruses u can make the folders/files as read-only :grin: but its not 100% virus proof...

best solution is to archive the folders in rar format & burn them to CD/DVD.

OP
I

insaneYLN

In the zone
I ran the Windows Error-Check (right click on the external hard disk icon > Properties > Tools > Error-Checking & selected both the sub options) but Windows was unable to complete the check disk.

I downloaded, installed and ran the Western Digital Data Lifeguard Diagnostic tests & both the tests (Quick & Extended) failed. The Extended Test reported "too many bad sectors".
Hence, it seems there is no other alternative but to give the drive for RMA.
I do not have experience with WD's RMA service. Is it a prompt service?

The drive is under warranty & I am not worried about the data.

What could be the possible causes of these "many" bad sectors? Although I purchased the drive in April 2011, personally have not used it, but, it has been borrowed by friends & relatives on numerous occasions.

Last edited:

Zangetsu

I am the master of my Fate.
same here guys....even i hv got scratches on my hdd....pls suggest a good pouch for the same and from where...
u should have bought them along with HDD from prime...
Belkin is a good brand for HDD pouch.

will the preloaded contents on the hdd get erased after formatting or they still will exist after formatting??
they will be erased after format so take a backup of them.

I ran the Windows Error-Check (right click on the external hard disk icon > Properties > Tools > Error-Checking & selected both the sub options) but Windows was unable to complete the check disk.

I downloaded, installed and ran the Western Digital Data Lifeguard Diagnostic tests & both the tests (Quick & Extended) failed. The Extended Test reported "too many bad sectors".
Hence, it seems there is no other alternative but to give the drive for RMA.
I do not have experience with WD's RMA service. Is it a prompt service?

The drive is under warranty & I am not worried about the data.

What could be the possible causes of these "many" bad sectors? I personally have not being able to use it, but, it has been borrowed by friends & relatives on numerous occasions.

before sending it for RMA..try one more utility from tuneup "Disk Doctor" :grin:

OP
I

insaneYLN

In the zone
I created an RMA for my drive about 5 minutes ago. I am still confused about the bad sectors, considering the drive is a new one.

abhidev

Human Spambot
I saw a hard pouch on wd's site and it costs arnd 1.5k....

@zangetsu: direct me to the link pls...

OP
I

insaneYLN

In the zone
My apologies for posting here after such a long time. I would like to humbly inform you all that I received the replacement in a few days since I sent it for RMA.
The drive that was replaced was a repaired/refurbished device.

Before I left for England, I sold the concerned external hard drive.
:oops:

Hence, I humbly request the Superiors here to kindly either lock this thread or delete it, depending on their judgement.

Thank you.
:smile:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom