My PC Case modding......

Status
Not open for further replies.

john_the_ultimate

No pain....No gain
Hello............good to be back at the forum after a week.

Now coming to the point.............
I was looking for a "good looking" cabinet, but was not able to find anything of my choice. Actually selected a few but unfortunately they are not available in India.
So thought of modding my existing cabby. Now u people comment on my effort...and one more thing sorry for the picture quality....clicked by cellphone camera.

This is how my chassis looked like:

*img3.freeimagehosting.net/uploads/th.6349537943.jpg

*img3.freeimagehosting.net/uploads/th.1260980a16.jpg

What I did was first stripped the case to its "bone", then drilled holes, cut metal for the transparent side panel, took out the existing color (using sand paper) etc.
After all cutting,drilling and sanding..........coated the metal and plastic parts with primer and then hand painted each and every inch u are seeing.

O.K. now let me shut up and show some photos of my one weeks works.

WORK IN PROGRESS
*img3.freeimagehosting.net/uploads/th.273c904178.jpg

PSU SLEEVING......or whatever u like to say.
*img3.freeimagehosting.net/uploads/th.850c356fa7.jpg

Last edited:
OP
john_the_ultimate

john_the_ultimate

No pain....No gain
Continuing................
ROUNDING IDE CABLE
*img3.freeimagehosting.net/uploads/th.e1b478bffb.jpg

COLORING FANS......don't now how it helps but certainly looks cool.
*img3.freeimagehosting.net/uploads/th.303a9044cf.jpg

Now finally it is complete..

FRONT VIEW
*img3.freeimagehosting.net/uploads/th.f10ec2f1c7.jpg

SIDE VIEW
*img3.freeimagehosting.net/uploads/th.fbccf6e96c.jpg

OP
john_the_ultimate

john_the_ultimate

No pain....No gain
TOP VIEW
*img3.freeimagehosting.net/uploads/th.c8db9ad811.jpg

BACK VIEW
*img3.freeimagehosting.net/uploads/th.6e60eda647.jpg

LET THERE BE LIGHT.
*img3.freeimagehosting.net/uploads/th.1ba9a1b863.jpg

*img3.freeimagehosting.net/uploads/th.0d110afe39.jpg

One more thing......I had a spare PSU so just modified the cabby to accomodate two SMPS's.

Well that's it and thanks u.

Last edited:

go_gamez

In the zone
hey man loooks really kewl...can u plzz tell me how did u abt with the transperent thing ??
i have a simple i -box cabinet and want to make the side panel transperent..so how do i do it ?
did u just cut out some part of the side pannel and fixed it with some transperent material ? how much did it cost u ?(only trasperent pannel thing )...and what is the material used in the trasperent side pannel ?

OP
john_the_ultimate

john_the_ultimate

No pain....No gain
Just cut the side panel in the required size (take it to any local shop which does it or if u have a dremel/rotomatic u can do it urself....but use protective gear), then buy plexiglass.....fibre glass (try to keep away from the normal glass).
Now drill holes for the nuts & bolts in the glass(yes u can do it urself if u r using the above mentioned glass, just be careful) and the metal side panel.
Cover the cut portion (metal) with rubber gasket (tubing) available at local car repair shop. about the cost the glass cost me Rs.150 for 13*14 inch piece (2mm) and rest screws,fevikwik (for the rubber)......maybe total cost around Rs. 200-220.

dOm1naTOr

Wise Old Owl
Really nice ..gud finishing..
what is the u use around the arylic panel [dat black lining?].
Also how did u paint the fan only in balde. The blade nd the fan body are too close or is it a standard coloured fan?
Also what kinda paint did u use. is ir ordinary or spray paint?
Did u buy any sleeving kit? or is it something elso u ise for sleeving?
Also I think painting the whole cab including back reduces heat decipation as simple alluminium body decipates more without any coating..or u dun care bout heat?
Anyway very nice wook man

OP
john_the_ultimate

john_the_ultimate

No pain....No gain
@arvind_n20

That's rubber gasket/tubing......the thing u find around the glass in cars.
All the stuff r hand painted.....used the oil paint available in the market and applied with brush......no spray paint (tried to look for aerosol/ canned spray paint but no luck).
The sleeving thingy is called "loom" and can be found at any electrical shop, its made of plastic. And no sleeving kit here.
As for heating issue........my o'c venice (1.8GHz to 2.7GHz) still idles around 38C and loads at 51C. Just try to keep good air circulation and u will not face any problem.

@go_gamez
DREMEL is a tool which comes with many attachments for drilling, cutting,grinding etc. See this : *en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dremel
U can buy similar tool in India by the name ROTO-MATIC.
For more details on roto-matic *www.telebrandsindia.com/Telebrands India - Rotomatic.asp

Last edited:

caleb

Ambassador of Buzz
Excellent work John the ultimate,

Looking at your amazing modifcation I'm tempted to mess with my chassis...very impressed with your simple solution for sleeving the cables...impressive. One question though:

How did you get the top modification done? pls reply with details. Thanks in advance.

abhijit_reddevil

Manchester United
Great work John, and I was wondering where you were all this while...:(. So you were busy with this. Now I do not think you will regret getting that Gigabyte chassis.:)

dOm1naTOr

Wise Old Owl
How did ya make the coloured fan???or what did it cost?

Last edited:
OP
john_the_ultimate

john_the_ultimate

No pain....No gain
@caleb
The top portion is simple paint job and blowhole to accomodate a 120mm fan.

@digitized
Thanks....buddy.

@hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
Ya can surely get many cabby with transparent side panel.....but that's the easy way and u don't get it customized to ur needs. This is an IBALL GRABIT full tower case which I have modified.

@arvind_n20
Just color the blade with oil paint using a brush. To get better color first coat the blades with white plastic primer or white paint.

samrulez

Cyborg Agent
@go_gamez: U can get a acrylic sheet for 60 bucks......

@john.....awesome work.....how did u get such a smooth finish on the plastic body after painting?

abhijit_reddevil

Manchester United
hmmmmmmmmmmmmm said:
Hey can u make same cabinet for me....wht u say ???

Nothing comes free, will be chargeable I think...;). What does John have to say to this? :D.

By the way, just to inform you people, I know John personally and have been following his case modding plans for quite a while...:)

OP
john_the_ultimate

john_the_ultimate

No pain....No gain
@sam
Well now it seems that those 6 years training in fine arts does come handy..........what do u say? By the way just try to apply thin coats for better result, usually thick coat of color takes longer to dry and doesn't give the smooth finish.

@hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
Well it depends.......... and most importantly where do u stay? Since I am in Kolkata so if u r from here then something could be done. Next question is what r ur requirments etc. But must say thanks to u for appreciating my work. And as digitized mentioned cost thingy........I think, it can come later into consideration.
But even if r not from my place then also we cud discuss so that u cud do the mod urself. What d'ya say?

samrulez

Cyborg Agent
john_the_ultimate said:
@sam
Well now it seems that those 6 years training in fine arts does come handy..........what do u say? By the way just try to apply thin coats for better result, usually thick coat of color takes longer to dry and doesn't give the smooth finish.

6yrs!!!....wow......I had fine arts from 5th std to the 8std (now i'm in 9th).......I used to always get ''C'' in all terms .... :p........so I know how tough fine arts is!

Rollercoaster

-The BlacKCoaT Operative-
@hmm:
these thing are hobbies and not services..
how odd u even asked.. modding is a hobby that can on be enjoyed but doing it yourself.

@john: nice stuff man. hey how much did u buy that dremil for? the link u posted says 2000 bucks? in the real market do u know costs and company?
really appriciate man!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom