My Lab Workstation

Status
Not open for further replies.

john_the_ultimate

No pain....No gain
but which has better performance?
MX2@450/- or AS5 @ 300/- ?or CM one for 200/-?

I have used both and they give more or less the same performance, maybe MX2 is a tad better. Also MX2 doesn't hardens like AS5 and gives good result from the time its applied. For AS5 you need to give it some time for optimal performance.

OP
gxsaurav

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
Due to the festival of Holi the delievery of my TV Tuner card has been delayed. I will get it on Monday now. It is in lucknow but since the shop will be closed tomorrow I won't be able to get it before Monday.

I want to buy a Cooler Master Hyper L3 CPU Cooler despite of the fact that I won't be over clocking, just so that the CPU remains cool & the computer works at near Silent mode. Is there some distributer in Delhi from where I can buy it?

I have decided to buy Cooler Master Extreme Power 450W Modular Power Supply if my Current Zebronics 400W gives problems.

I m just flat on the Microsoft Digital Media 3000 keyboard, I am buying it as soon as it hits the market.

Now, one thing. I m not too much into music or movies, just a casual user & not that much into gaming either. Right now I am using the onboard audio but Creative has recently released Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme Audio PCI Express based sound card, is it viable for me to go for a separate audio? I will be using head phones only.

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
^^^ I don't see any reason reason for you to go in for a separate sound-card unless you are an audiophile. The current HD audio chipsets are quite mature now, plus you are using only headphones rite?

OP
gxsaurav

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
Hmm...Ok, I checked using Right mark 3d sound & the positioning with my on board audio wasn't good.

Music & movies wise, there is hardly any difference. I will try to borrow someone's sound card for some days to check if there is a difference, if not then i m sticking to on board.

Hey, can anyone from Delhi or Bangalore inquire for me, where from can I buy Cooler Master Hyper L3 CPU & Microsoft Digital Media 3000 Keyboard.?

OP
gxsaurav

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
There is another card relesed by Asus few days back which is selling for $90. ASUS Xonar DX PCI-e 7.1 soundcard, this also looks nice as good as the creative offering.

See, I need enhancement for Headphone & Creative has this in X-Fi, so I wanted to upgrade. Xonar has support for Dolby things etc too.....

The onboard HD audio works as good as my old Audigy LS in Vista, hmm....I think I will need to borrow somone's X-fi :D.

Today I tried to overclock my graphics card. I used ATITool & told it to measure highest overclockable GPU frequency, the default speed is 725 MHz, but it reached 850 MHz & then the GPU driver crashed, Vista gave a black DOS screen & it recovered the driver & I was back at the desktop, I immidiately rebooted by pressing the reset button else ATI tool was overclocking even further.

Finally, 1.2 Ghz for Memory & 825 MHz for GPU clock. How is this over clock? This is the maximum my card will go but I haven't over clocked it yet.

Last edited:

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
From 725 to 825???!! thats a huge overclock on stock cooling!!! You better do some real world testing on this speed. Check the stability.

OP
gxsaurav

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
Leave it, I don't want to fry the chips :D...

Using ATI Tool, I again checked, at 825 MHz for GPU & 1.2 GHz for Memory my card works fine without any artifect for 30 minutes. After this I pushed the clock to 835 MHz & graphics driver crashed & then recovered, so 825 for GPU clock & 1.2 Ghz for Memory clock is the maximum I can & will go for.

With the ATI Overdrive feature in catalyst control center, I am able to over clock easily the GPU to 800 MHz & Memory to 1.1 GHz. The slider doesn't go beyond that....

I just benchmarked using UT 3 benchmark tool & fearless_bot map, AVG frame = 30 FPS..., game settings were set to 4 for both.

I just tested it, won't be over clocking

Last edited:

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
With the ATI Overdrive feature in catalyst control center, I am able to over clock easily the GPU to 800 MHz & Memory to 1.1 GHz. The slider doesn't go beyond that....
There is a good reason for that. It does know th safe limits of the card. Its not like proc. where 100mhz overclock is common. this much jump for a gpu core is substantial! Get a good cooler + as5 and then you can prolly cross 800mhz without any worry.

OP
gxsaurav

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
I got Arctic Silver 5 tube with me but I won't be using it right now. I have decided to buy the cooler Master Hyper L3 CPU cooler first & when I get it then only I will use the AS 5 on my CPU with the new cooler.

For the GPU, the current Fan is good enough so need to change it. I am not into over clocking, you know that...leave this yaar...

alsiladka

Noobie Pro
Why didn't you go for a single chip 800 MHz RAM? My Transcend 2GB 800 MHz gives me a WEI of 5.5 to 5.7 (varies acc to the conditions when i test my system)

OP
gxsaurav

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
DDR2 800 was more costly then DDR2 667, the original kingston valueRAM I ordered was already costly as Rs 2,200 while DDR2 800 was coming at 2,900.

From what I have seen, in real world scenario DDR2 800 hardly gives noticable performance increse over DDR2 667. Don't worry, I will upgrade to 4 GB DDR2 800 MHz in 2 years anyway :D...or before that if required with 64bit Vista.

narangz

Web developer
Rs. 2200 for 2 GB 667 RAM, right?
That's costly! Its anything between Rs. 1750-1800. These prices are for the genuine ones.

OP
gxsaurav

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
Rs. 2200 for 2 GB 667 RAM, right?
That's costly! Its anything between Rs. 1750-1800. These prices are for the genuine ones.

I got the genuine one only with proper bill & 5 years warranty.

Hey, is it ok to buy a Hard disk cooler?

Are Zalman products available in India? Can someone from Bangalore find out whether Cooler Master Hyper L3 & Microsoft Digital Media 3000 keyboard are available, & if they are then what is the cost. I want to buy both of these on 31st march from bangalore

Last edited:

alsiladka

Noobie Pro
DDR2 800 at 2900? Which one, the kingston one? I bought the transcend 2GB 800 MHz single chip for 1800! And my WEI score is 5.5 - 5.7!

OP
gxsaurav

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
This is Lucknowwwwwwwwwwwwww....& it is always costly here. People go for cheap things means Dynet sales a lot here, for reputed brands like kingston or transcend we have to order like I had to. It's ok, I am happy with the purchase I made for RAM.

I opened my cabinet today again & adjusted all the wires again. This is how it looks like...I hope the air flow is fine now. The side fans pull air inside, the rear exhaust throws air out. The new CPU cooler is just to make the computer silent, the GPU cooler is already silent. That empty PCI bracket is where I will be connecting my TV Tuner.

*farm4.static.flickr.com/3033/2353108308_4c0c686db1.jpg

Hard disk...

*farm4.static.flickr.com/3253/2353108634_d37ebb96a6.jpg

*farm4.static.flickr.com/3113/2352280727_bfaedf7f3b.jpg

I realised today only that my motherboard has S/PDIF & Serial ports too...but via external headers :D. Good thing as serial port is something I will not be needing & S/PDIF won't be in use unless I connect some high end speakers via Digital Out.

*img142.imageshack.us/img142/571/dsc01094gz5.jpg

Also, how does the sound control panel looks like now :D. Notice anything different

*img528.imageshack.us/img528/628/soundpf8.jpg

On Monday I m getting total of these things...then some work for the Bangalore trip, I m leaving on 27 March.

1) My TV Tuner card

2) One 120 MM fan for rear exhaust with SMPS connector, this will always run at full speed & exhaust hot air out.

3) 2 USB to PS/2 convertar. My keyboard & mouse are based on USB but can also run via the PS/2 adapter so why not use them instead. This will free up 2 rear USB ports.

4) Some cables to tie up the wires.

vivekbabbudelhi

shadow hunter
Now, one thing. I m not too much into music or movies, just a casual user & not that much into gaming either. Right now I am using the onboard audio but Creative has recently released Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme Audio PCI Express based sound card, is it viable for me to go for a separate audio? I will be using head phones only.

xifi xtreme audio is a POS for the lack of hardware DSP for its price.
anyone who has bought that card just complaints abouts cracks & cracks in audio..

u are lot better in buying audigy value & then soft modding it to use xifi xtreme audio drivers if "xifi drivers" are bugging u a lot:D

audigy value would sound better than any onboard audio anyday.
current audigy value has CA0106-WATLF as audio chip,WOLFSON WM8768GEDS as DAC,this DAC is rated at 24bit 192kHz 8 ch & WM8775SEDS as ADC

if u want some decent analog output then just get EMU0404..my personal choice over entry level xifi's;)

From what I have seen, in real world scenario DDR2 800 hardly gives noticable performance increse over DDR2 667.

with ddr2 800 u always had an option of tight timings@667 in 1:1 ratio:D or hitting 400FSB in 1:1 if u develop urge to overclock

Last edited:
OP
gxsaurav

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
xifi xtreme audio is a POS for the lack of hardware DSP for its price. anyone who has bought that card just complaints abouts cracks & cracks in audio..

With Vista all sound cards are treated equally, no direct Access to hardware so hardware DSP is useless anyway. This X-Fi X-Audio is made with Vista in mind.

with ddr2 800 u always had an option of tight timings@667 in 1:1 ratio:D or hitting 400FSB in 1:1 if u develop urge to overclock

Hmm, means unless I overclock I don't need DDR2 800 right now.

I will wait for the prices to come down. With the current state I will be updating the RAM to 2X2 GB DDR2 800 after 1 or 2 years.

Vivek, you got my PM? How do we connect the IR receiver of the Leadtek remote to computer? Serial Port, USB port or a special jack in Tuner itself?

OP
gxsaurav

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
Hey guys, I m again asking, I need to buy the following components from Bangalore, can someone help me & find out the cost & shop where they are available within the next 3 days? This way I can come to bangalore with proper ammount of money to buy it...

1) Leadtek Winfast TV200XP Global Media Center Edition TV Tuner card

2) Cooler Master Hyper L3 CPU Cooler (got one address)

3) Microsoft Digital Media Keyboard 3000

OP
gxsaurav

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
I gave my Leadtek TV2000XP Global TV Tuner card back today & got my Rs 2,050 back.

So, Now I am back in market. I have decided not to buy a TV Tuner card as it won't be that important for me anyway. I however do require a Media Center remote so either I will buy the XBOX 360 universal Media remote for Rs 1,800 or Pinnacle Remote Kit for Vista from either Bangalore or from Lucknow once I return from Bangalore in few days.

Ok, so next up is LCD monitor which I sure need to buy. I need 19" LCD Monitor with HDCP & DVI port from either LG or Samsung as these are the only ones easily available here. Dell needs to be ordered online & I have no idea how will I give the monitor for repair in case of a problem.

I inquired about 19" LG L194WT model but the company representative said they are not available anymore & I should rather prefer to buy there 20" Model. Is this model really discontinued?

Which Samsung LCD can I go for? Samsung 206BW model looks nice with 20" screen, HDCP & DVI port with a resolution of 1680X1050. Anyone knows the approx cost?

I can check the specs online but I would prefer some personal thoughts.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom