My experience of moving from Android to iOS

tkin

Back to school!!
I see more iphones in my office. Almost every one got one here in NZ. Don't get the hype. Fiddled with iphone 4s but couldn't feel any wow effect in that.

Two reasons I see:
1. It's got good resale value.
2. Status symbol.
Dead on the target right there, even I was contemplating to buy an iPhone some time back. Then G2 came out :D

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin
hello iOS has regular price drops. sales every day. android may have promotions, but on iOS price drops all the way to free! www.thinkdigit.com/forum/mobile-games/162500-ios-price-drops-time-sensitive.html

pricing compared of top games, some time from last year. check out massive savings on ios.
*i.imgur.com/1ivtQ3K.jpg

also, some quotes from devs on why they prefer iOS. this is way back in 2011, a few of these titles eventually did release for droids, but google has not done anything towards rectifying some of the underlying problems (fragmentation, widely varying standards of hardware used by OEMs). nfgworld.com/mb/post/3720

even if people use iphones as a status symbol, does not change the fact that the device itself is a work horse and not a show pony

Neuron

Electronic.
even if people use iphones as a status symbol, does not change the fact that the device itself is a work horse and not a show pony

But android phones have way better performance per cost value. The difference between an android phone and an iphone with comparable performances is a huge chunk of money. I think that adds much to the show pony factor.

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin
hmm... it's not the same at all
apple makes phones that look good from inside as well. at the very least the aluminum on iphones is beaten thinner than others. most of the "design" is not what you see but whats inside the device, and the process used to make it. time.com/jonathan-ive-apple-interview/

On price, Ive points out that developing life-changing products that we could not have imagined before but when we see them we want at once, is very expensive. What’s more, manufacturing them the Apple way, often to tolerances far higher than needed, costs a bomb. “We don’t take so long and make the way we make for fiscal reasons. Quite the reverse,” he laughs. Ive picks up his iPhone to demonstrate how technically complex its construction is. “The body is made from a single piece of machined aluminium,” he says, sticking to the British pronunciation Jobs used to tease him about. “The whole thing is polished first to a mirror finish and then is very finely textured, except for the Apple logo. The chamfers [smoothed-off edges] are cut with diamond-tipped cutters. The cutters don’t usually last very long, so we had to figure out a way of mass-manufacturing long-lasting ones. The camera cover is sapphire crystal. Look at the details around the sim-card slot. It’s extraordinary!”

tkin

Back to school!!
hmm... it's not the same at all
apple makes phones that look good from inside as well. at the very least the aluminum on iphones is beaten thinner than others. most of the "design" is not what you see but whats inside the device, and the process used to make it. time.com/jonathan-ive-apple-interview/
So its pretty much clear that apple asks a lumpsum of money for their devices due to their design and finish, not because of its hardware, I'm sure there are metaphors for this....

Superayush

Tech lover
it's just so hilarious to see people using android trying their best to belittle iOS advantages over android well I have a close to 3 year old igadget(iPad 2) and lemme tell u it's still almost as good as new (ok maybe a bit over statement) but it really holding up fabulously and don't forget the timely updates :)

tkin

Back to school!!
it's just so hilarious to see people using android trying their best to belittle iOS advantages over android well I have a close to 3 year old igadget(iPad 2) and lemme tell u it's still almost as good as new (ok maybe a bit over statement) but it really holding up fabulously and don't forget the timely updates :)
I have a nokia 5800XM from last decade which is not good as new because the way I had used it(I sort of battle tested it), but it still works, gives me two days battery back up, has 3g and takes photos. And I got updates even 2 yrs back. My friend has a 5800Xm which he used very cautiously and its as good as new. By definition Nokia 5800XM is the best smartphone ever made.

Superayush

Tech lover
Hmm quite immature interpretation of what I meant but I understand that hatred towards apple is so deeply instilled among the masses that it's no point explaining them :/ anyways coincidently I also had nokia 5233..it was seriously great phone ...but sadly I lost it :(....

snap

Lurker
the hatred is not particularly towards apple but the snobby users. anyway we are spoiling a good thread which had constructive criticisms rather the half baked opinions

red dragon

Master troll
Ain't the comparison should be between nexus and play edition phones vs iPhones?I am actually gone the other way from op(ie. iOS to Android)and honestly a Nexus 5 is as snappy as 5s except the camera....tried xperia Z1 c also...it is good,but N5 is better overall and probably the only phone which gives 5s a decent competition (5s wins with the very nice camera but given the price difference that is understandable)

OP
Sarath

Sarath

iDota
hello iOS has regular price drops. sales every day. android may have promotions, but on iOS price drops all the way to free! www.thinkdigit.com/forum/mobile-games/162500-ios-price-drops-time-sensitive.html

pricing compared of top games, some time from last year. check out massive savings on ios.
*i.imgur.com/1ivtQ3K.jpg

also, some quotes from devs on why they prefer iOS. this is way back in 2011, a few of these titles eventually did release for droids, but google has not done anything towards rectifying some of the underlying problems (fragmentation, widely varying standards of hardware used by OEMs). nfgworld.com/mb/post/3720

I'm not saying iOS doesn't have sales just that google brings it to such affordable levels. The only free game I snagged on the iOS was Plants vs Zombies which went free a about 2 years ago for only a week. There are a few such games but rare (I don't even rem the rest).

gagan_kumar

Wise Old Owl
imho iphone are only for rich people who have plenty to spend on these kind of stuff for me i m happy with my nokia's symbian.............

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
Ain't the comparison should be between nexus and play edition phones vs iPhones?I am actually gone the other way from op(ie. iOS to Android)and honestly a Nexus 5 is as snappy as 5s except the camera....tried xperia Z1 c also...it is good,but N5 is better overall and probably the only phone which gives 5s a decent competition (5s wins with the very nice camera but given the price difference that is understandable)

I compared G2 with N5. Preferred G2 over that. It's like N5 with more refinements.

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin
I'm not saying iOS doesn't have sales just that google brings it to such affordable levels. The only free game I snagged on the iOS was Plants vs Zombies which went free a about 2 years ago for only a week. There are a few such games but rare (I don't even rem the rest).

eh? the price drops to FREE is positively common, which does not happen on Play. How much more affordable you want? you didnt check img I attached to compare the sale prices of top games in iOS and Play? see side by side comparison, many top apps that became free on iOS never had any kind of promotions on Play

this includes all promotions on both stores
*i.imgur.com/1ivtQ3K.jpg

if you want to verify yourself, look at price histories of top apps in AppShopper (for iOS) and AppBrain (for droids)

for those who think that iPhones are overpriced/not VFM/desirable/ aspirational etc. I got 2009 3GS in 2011 for 19K, still using it. Lemme know any droid from 2009 or even 2011 that I could continue using normally to this date, in similar price range. Symbian yes, droid no.

ithehappy

Human Spambot
If I were given the S2 I used almost three years ago, I would have been perfectly happy with it. The Gingerbread one, not ICS. It is still THE MOST stable and BUG FREE Android I have ever used. Whatever nowadays kids will say, KitKat blah blah....what really has changed? I don't care if it sounds crazy, but the S4 I used, with stock Gingerbread and Siyah with Interactive governor is very very much comparable with my S4's sodding KitKat. The advantage of S2 was it was more compact. Had a far better build quality (FAR) and even when it was released I paid 30.9k for that instead of S4's 34.5k after three months of release.
To me, the clear winner is S2. And that was released in Feb, 2011. So moot point above :cool: Besides, with Android one advantage is clear, you are free. And I hate being a prisoner of some idiotic brand :|

The only ecosystem which has changed vastly in past couple of years is Windows Phone. Look at how they were, and how they are now. Android, all bark no bite. The pathetic part about Android is, the phones of nowadays have 100% or better hardware, and performance improvement is 10-15%, MAX. And with much more BUGS. Absolutely no comment about that other player.

Last edited:

Arjun609

The Don's Decision.
I have a nokia 5800XM from last decade which is not good as new because the way I had used it(I sort of battle tested it), but it still works, gives me two days battery back up, has 3g and takes photos. And I got updates even 2 yrs back. My friend has a 5800Xm which he used very cautiously and its as good as new. By definition Nokia 5800XM is the best smartphone ever made.

NOKIA is the best build almost all phone have been used for more than 5 years.But Nokia 5800XM is nothing compared to iPhones

*www.troll.me/images/bush/nice-try-nokia.jpg

Attachments

• nice-try-nokia.jpg
    nice-try-nokia.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 94
Last edited:

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin
let's just accept some things, and demolish some common myths. we can have meaningful discussion about apple, only after moving past these stumbling blocks. these show up in every. single. thread.

1. switching from one ecosystem to another needs a lot of getting used to. we form habits while using a device, even muscle memories, and these are powerful. have seen n number of people trying to press phantom back and menu buttons on my iphone. one of them even had an ipod touch.

2. sure apple products are expensive. a big problem is how we attach status to phones here. this includes oems, tech reporters, and end users. while everyone else calls these devices high end, or premium, here we call it stuff like desirable, classy, aspirational. Other OEMs use this perception more than apple. the Lava Iris pro is an example. For apple users, not only is the price easily justified, they are willing to pay for it. it's not a problem for users, so why should others have a problem with it. and the price has been steady since launch. no surprises in apple pricing. for once and for all, let's stop pointing out how expensive these phones are. everyone knows. this next point might be a little controversial, there is another side to it, which is "dumping" but at least one side is that refurbed, second hand, last year's or last to last year's phones are an option that is easily accommodated in mid range budgets. it may be debatable if apple is selling unsold stock in India or intentionally using such a lineup instead of a range of devices every year, without getting into all that, just pointing out that an apple device is within reach if someone really wants one.

3. the closed ecosystem, is not a trap, it is a non-issue for users. we accept that it was a design decision, with the pay off being reliability and stability. for some no file manager can need getting used to. for others, having to go through lists of assorted items can need getting used to. Sure it's great how android manages files, much more easier practically in real world local scenarios. agreed. no BT file transfer is a dealbreaker. also agreed. Jailbreak is an option for such problems, if they really do come in the way. never needed to use iTunes after OS 5, but when I used to, it was great to just set up podcasts, listen to them, and they get automatically deleted and new ones downloaded. This might seem intrusive for many, not their particular usage scenario, but it's dead convenient at least for some. Assuming the closed ecosystem is inherently bad is not healthy for tech. There must be benefits of a walled garden too, it is a good idea to be at least aware of these benefits as an alternative to open ecosystems. One way to see this is that at least piracy of video, text and audio is a lot less on iOS, consequently we get more goodies and stuff and exclusives because publishers trust in iOS user's willingness (or laziness) that leads us to consume content. This is changing, and will change going forward as people and publishers understand the issues involved. But iOS has spent a long time as established when others are emerging.

4. It's not possible to feel the magic after a few hours or even a few days of fiddling around. For both android and iOS, imo the services and apps are much more critical than the device itself, as already pointed out. It took me a good 3-4 years to understand and use the ecosystem, but im sure most, if not all of these apply equally to droids as well. check price drops on appshopper every 8 hours. looking forward to deals by store itself. consuming podcasts and syncing kindle accounts. using cloud to store data. deleting apps after playing them then downloading them again to play. purchasing random in-game items. choosing to preserve some devices with certain OS versions that work best on those devices along with a bouquet of apps that would not work on those devices if they were updated. getting promotional give-away codes from touch-arcade forums. listening to 10 albums every day from flyte when it shut down. watching developers fix bugs hours after they are reported on forums. downloading a game I had purchased from past purchases history after finding out that the game had been pulled from the indian app store (project 83ll3).

iSLaND

Broken In
I think cost is the most important factor.
Also, flexibility and customization by android are far superior. Root, Custom ROM, Recovery are awesome.
I can do almost all things with my android that I can do with my Laptop and sometimes even more!

Search Bar: App search is there on most Android phones. However its not combined with contact list. Google needs to copy this feature from iOS

Silence toggle switch : Personally, i find it a pain to use the IP5's silence switch,dunno about iP5S , but IP5 is really hard and is very difficult to use single handed. I always use both hands to push the toggle up / down

Camera folder: Isnt that the same with all Androids and WinMo phones? Showing the last snap as soon as you open your Gallery..

Top Bottom