my DV6:6017tx is dead :'(

evil_maverick

Journeyman
Hello every1
To start off ..I have been using the hp dv6 6017 tx since july 11.
And am extremely happy with it. But today after I got back frm ofc I tried switching it on and it just didnt start! Even tho everything was fine after I shut it off las nyt, I kept on pressing the power on button but it just wont start.than I connected the power but still no use.after this I took thebattery out,and again put it back in now weirdly the laptop turned on (even without pressing the power button)but jus the cpu fan was spinning and the wifi button was glowing and the caps lock key was blinking non stop and no display!!i took the batt out and just plugged in the power but all the same the lappy turned on the moment I plugged in the power..and the same lights blinking and no display.plzzz help.

swiftshashi

Beta Geek ;-)
Take out the RAM, clean the terminals and slot with brush, and then apply it again carefully. I'm 100% sure its due to RAM...Happens a lot to me whenever I disassemble my laptop. Blinking caps lock + no display is a sign. IF it doesn't work, do retry it a couple of times more.

OP
evil_maverick

evil_maverick

Journeyman
Take out the RAM, clean the terminals and slot with brush, and then apply it again carefully. I'm 100% sure its due to RAM...Happens a lot to me whenever I disassemble my laptop. Blinking caps lock + no display is a sign. IF it doesn't work, do retry it a couple of times more.
hey thanks for the reply.....but i tried all of this but still aint working!!
and to top that...when ever i plug in the charger the charging LED is not coming on!! :0
what is wrong!!!!
:|
p.s went to the HP service....
as usual : "Aapka Motherboard kharab ho gaya sir" :-x

swiftshashi

Beta Geek ;-)
I face exactly the same issue bro sometimes.I appeared twice till date.
Okay,do you have one or two RAMS installed.??
Use a single RAM(preferably HP one) to check if any particular slot has gone bad.
Also remove your battery and press the power button for about half a minute,then put in the battery and check.
If it doesnt work,remove battery and plug in charger and does it start then??

OP
evil_maverick

evil_maverick

Journeyman
I face exactly the same issue bro sometimes.I appeared twice till date.
Okay,do you have one or two RAMS installed.??
Use a single RAM(preferably HP one) to check if any particular slot has gone bad.
Also remove your battery and press the power button for about half a minute,then put in the battery and check.
If it doesnt work,remove battery and plug in charger and does it start then??

.tried every thing but..my lappy is officially dead..went to hp and than local service...both the same verdict..mobo is dead..now a replacement mobo is not available....am so deaaad..now which is the cheapest lappy to buy which will give me comparable performance to the dv6...

entrana

M$™ Certified Spammer
.tried every thing but..my lappy is officially dead..went to hp and than local service...both the same verdict..mobo is dead..now a replacement mobo is not available....am so deaaad..now which is the cheapest lappy to buy which will give me comparable performance to the dv6...
the dv6 is one of the most horrible models from hp ( no offense man ). i have a friend with the exact same model who has had his mobo replaced 3 times and other things replaced under 2 years ( he has 2 year warranty). sorry for your loss.
may i suggest the dell inspiron 15 range. similar performance including gpu. you can check details on the dell website.

swiftshashi

Beta Geek ;-)
the dv6 is one of the most horrible models from hp ( no offense man ). i have a friend with the exact same model who has had his mobo replaced 3 times and other things replaced under 2 years ( he has 2 year warranty). sorry for your loss.
may i suggest the dell inspiron 15 range. similar performance including gpu. you can check details on the dell website.

I agree that evil maverick is going through a bad phase,but to generalise things is simply not fair in my honest opinion. In my life,our family has seen 7 laptops till date,and we had only one mobo failure and that was a Vaio.The 4 HP's we had ran hotter,but nothing crucial has failed till date except speaker and a DVD writer.
I'm in 3rd Year B.Tech and in my 2 years of hostel life,none of the HP's has seen a dead Mobo. Numerous issues come like overheating,dying HDD's,dead pixels etc. Only two of my friends faced mobo failure and one was a XPS 15,other was an Inspiron Turbo 15. SO you see,luck/usage plays a crucial role.Thats why an extended warranty is required for complete piece of mind.
I'm sure I'm one of the users of DV6 who extract the maximum juice out of their machines-overclocking,overvolting,flashing BIOS-You name it,and my dv6 has faced it all. Its sheer bad luck that someone has faced such a situation.

swiftshashi

Beta Geek ;-)

Better wait for the 4th Gen equipped Laptops to hit our shore....Sorry for your loss,and better take an extended warranty this time.Check your PM.:cool:

swiftshashi

Beta Geek ;-)
Would like to happily state that Evil_maverick's laptop is finally up and running. It was a CMOS issue and not a dead mobo as some hp haters would like to believe.
Evil_maverick-Wishing you trouble free experience with your lappy!!

OP
evil_maverick

evil_maverick

Journeyman
Would like to happily state that Evil_maverick's laptop is finally up and running. It was a CMOS issue and not a dead mobo as some hp haters would like to believe.
Evil_maverick-Wishing you trouble free experience with your lappy!!
yeee!!!
at last its up and running!!
it was a simple cmos issue!! (really stupid of me)
thanks a ton to swiftshashi for the awesome support!!!
am relieved and soooo happy!!!!
and all dv6 haters please dont hate us so much!!
peace!!

can you elaborate the issue and explain how you solved it, so that it might be useful for others who may face a similar issue ..

OP
evil_maverick

evil_maverick

Journeyman
can you elaborate the issue and explain how you solved it, so that it might be useful for others who may face a similar issue ..
It started with the laptop not booting up at all.....and when i would plug in the charger the cpu fan would start spinning and the caps lock key would start to blink and the wifi's light would also come up....one more thing the charging LED would not also come up even when plugged in....so i stopped doing anything with it for a day....after that i tried turning it on and now nothing would happen even when i plugged in the charger ...it was completely bricked...i tried taking out the ram ,and other solutions like holding the power key for some time etc but nothing helped....went to the hp service and without even looking at the laptop properly they said that the motherboard needed replacement....but i didnt dump the lappy at hp...so brought it back home...and thought of replacing the ram with one of my frens (as advised by swiftshashi)..but in doing so i happened to take out the mobo battery and after a while i put it back in and wala the system booted properly....after this is put my older hp ram also and things worked like charm!! so i suppose some thing was wrong in the cmos and me taking the battery out cleared it.....

samudragupta

Youngling
congrats man... i have a 1.6 yr old compaq laptop which is dead as well and hp said its a mobo issue!! i had already got it replaced once and didnt want to spend another 13k for it... any video tutorial for noobs like us will be really helpful... damn i wish you guys were in mumbai to help me out... @swiftshashi your help will be appreciated in bringing the dead alive :)

swiftshashi

Beta Geek ;-)
Realy hate these so called laptop technicians. Without even having a look they conclude that the mobo is dead!!!
Luckily they haven't faced me; otherwise I don't know about the motherboard, but the "technician"will surely be dead!!!:hammer::pan::machinegun2:

Last edited:

swiftshashi

Beta Geek ;-)
I mention fixes based on my previous experiences or going by the working mechanism of mobo, I try to boil down to the faulty component.
Search in a systematic and step wise manner to come to the right thing.

Top Bottom