My core i7-920 and MSI x58 ECLIPSE review

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
amitash

amitash

Intel OCer
^i didnt try to update anything....I was even running at stock speeds. I just turned on the computer and didnt POST...Just a spontaneous board failure as reported by some other people.
They are coming up with a new revision but i dont think they will give a replacement unless yours is defective.Further proof is that MSI had bios 1.1 up for download in their site and because of the complaints they took it down from their site.Sit tight maybe you will get a replacement if something happens. Thats why instead of waiting for a replacement i went to gigabyte

Pompy

Broken In
Hey ,
We Have The Core i7 920 For 14,900+ Tax 4% And The Gigabte DS4 Board For Rs :13,750 + Tax 4 5 + Shipping .We Are Offering flat 2000 Off On Both the Bundle ,Is There Any Competition To Us Here ,Hope Not

forever

filth is me
Hey ,
We Have The Core i7 920 For 14,900+ Tax 4% And The Gigabte DS4 Board For Rs :13,750 + Tax 4 5 + Shipping .We Are Offering flat 2000 Off On Both the Bundle ,Is There Any Competition To Us Here ,Hope Not

Thats a pretty sweet deal, but ill wait for it to hit the retail markets at nehru place :)

darklord

Cyborg Agent
Well shouldnt one do research about the board before buying it ?
Anyways, guess MSI still havent improved :(
Better stick with Asus/Gigabyte/Intel/Foxconn for nehalem boards.

OP
amitash

amitash

Intel OCer
I did and on bit-tech they said that one of their MOSFETs blew up but they were sure only they got a faulty board, one guy on newegg said it was faulty but i thought it was only one faulty board and not all of them would be like that....guess i was wrong

hellgate

At Hell's Disq
thank god i havent paid the vendor till now for my board.seems like i'll hafta hold his payment for a month or two so that if the mobo dies during that period i'll get a diff mobo.:D

1 prob that i hav with this mobo is that it wont boot up if i attach the D-LED2.
wat do u say guys sud i send in the board to MSI with the D-LED2 issue or use it.

Last edited:

darklord

Cyborg Agent
The problem i guess is that MSI isnt really been into making extreme OC centric boards.This seems like their first serious attempt and understandably there are a few glitches, thats what i can make of this.

OP
amitash

amitash

Intel OCer
1 prob that i hav with this mobo is that it wont boot up if i attach the D-LED2.
wat do u say guys sud i send in the board to MSI with the D-LED2 issue or use it.
Have you attached the temperature diode to the DLED2 pannel? I hadnt and it gave me 3 beeps on boot...after installing that everything was fine untill the board died....If you havent paid yet just try to xchange it for a Gigabyte Extreme...My dealer quoted it at 23800\- incl of all taxes
Even if DLED2 works... just try Use it as an xcuse to get a different motherboard. :D:evil:

EDIT: just look at the Gigabyte extreme's NB and SB heatsinks!!
*www.gigabyte.com.tw/Products/ViewImage.aspx?ProductID=2957

The problem i guess is that MSI isnt really been into making extreme OC centric boards.This seems like their first serious attempt and understandably there are a few glitches, thats what i can make of this.
It wouldnt have mattered if they had only minor isuues but it now seems like MSI havent tested their product thoroughly before release making the end user suffer.

Last edited:

newneo

Heads I Win Tails u Lose
For my gaming rig at first I bought an MSI X48 C Platinum mobo. The mobo could not post with 4GB R.A.M in Dual Channel Mode. If I try to run in Dual Channel Mode the pc keeps on restarting and says overclocking failed, even though I haven't overclocked anything. So I returned the mobo and got myself ASUS Rampage Extreme. This new mobo was running very nicely until 25th December. What happened on that particular day was that, the pc suddenly turned itself off automatically. When I manually turned it on again, a message came up on screen and said that the Northbridge overheated so to protect it from any damage the mobo had shut down automatically. To resolve the issue I bought some coolermaster nano fusion, removed the entire heat pipe and applied it to the Northbridge. Turned the pc on and found that the temperature had decreased. I can recall that on the first day the temperature of the Northbridge was 70 degrees, it was around 85 when it overheated , and now after applying the TIM it was around 78.These were the temperature when the pc was idle. But after running the pc for some days the temperature again started hovering around 89 degrees. So, I thought it would be best to send it to the service center. I packed it, took it, and gave it to the servive center. After one week I called them and they said it will take some time as they are consulting with ASUS and I will have have to wait. I waited for one week and gave them a call again and this time they said that they will replace my mobo. And that's it folks I am still waiting for my mobo to arrive. And who knows maybe third time is the charm.

Just wanted to tell amitash you are not alone.:D

"These new motherboards are buggy"
______By me:D

ashu888ashu888

Core i7 (nehalem) Owner
Ok ok so after reading all of ur replis guys... I think even i shud buy the Gigabyte mobo (thanx desiibond) for suggesting me that, i really appreciate it.. :)

Actually

1.) im more inclined towards the nVIDIA 9800 GTX+ (plus) gpu as compared to ATi HD4850 or HD4870, (wich is better, the HD4870 or 9800 GTX+ (plus) )

2.) i hv also seen tat the Gigabyte GA-EX58-DS4 (has got no support for SLi) only 3 way CrossFireX support where as

3.) Gigabyte GA-EX58-EXTREME and GA-EX58-UD5 both hv 3 way CrossfireX and 3 way SLi support. So, wich is the better of these 2 mobos ?? (imo, i think Extreme, as its got support for both, CFX as well as 3 way SLi, no matter wat gpu card i plan to take, right???)..

plz help me out here in this thread---> *www.thinkdigit.com/forum/showthread.php?t=108040

I really need help..there.. :(

OP
amitash

amitash

Intel OCer
Even if you go for extreme its not available in india...I waited 2 months and contacted even gigabytes head in india...they kept postponing and now they are telling me tat is isnt available...even UD5 isnt available but it will come so I think i will get UD5

ashu888ashu888

Core i7 (nehalem) Owner
^^

yup, right, my dealer said tat the stocks were out (but i was thinking, wen the hell were they available) ..lol.. so now he has told me tat the stock will come on 18th Feb,2009 so lets see, if i get any info, i'll post here.. :)

btw, the dealer (lamington road, mumbai) told me tat UD5 is Rs.21K and Extreme is Rs.25K (b4 the stocks were out) lets see wat price he quotes now (on 18th feb,09) wen the so called stockes are available.. :)
--------

ALso, is TX750 enough for 2 gtx280 on SLi ??(if i plan to add tat extra card in future) or shud i go for HX1000 ??

also, wat VA/watt rating UPS shud i hv ?? will a 1100VA UPS from APC (model BS1100) wil do ?? for a core i7 920+UD5+ single (and in future a Sli) gtx280 along with the PSU (be it either tx750 or hx1000) ??
---------

Cheers n e-peace...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom