My core i7-920 and MSI x58 ECLIPSE review

Status
Not open for further replies.

ashu888ashu888

Core i7 (nehalem) Owner
^^

ooh ya ya rightly said, dunno wen amitash gonna receive his mobo...
---------

@ amitash: hey buddy, how much did u pay for the UD5 at lynx ??

OP
amitash

amitash

Intel OCer
@topgear...the mobo is just listed there... I spoke to the admin and he said he is not sure when he is getting it.. @ashu... Amarbir of lynx told me the extreme itself is available before this weekend so im getting the extreme for the price listed in his site... I think its 19k

ashu888ashu888

Core i7 (nehalem) Owner
^^

oh thanx for the update buddy.. :)

I'll get the UD5 version..of Gigabyte...as there is NOT much of a difference b/w the 2 except for the fact that Extreme has "Heat Sink pipe 2" design specification...

btw, is the heat sink pipe 2 supplied along with the Extreme mobo ?? or do we hv to buy it separate ?

OP
amitash

amitash

Intel OCer
^:p no probs....
@ashu: the silent heat pipe 2 sollution is available with the board you dont have to buy separately... If you did there wouldnt have been a difference between it and the ud5.

vikrant333

Owner of Core i7
Hi friends

I want to make new rig having conf. details below. If u have any suggestion
then please give me advice

Proc- Intel Core i7 920
Mb - Gigabyte x58 UD5
Ram- G-Skill 3*1=3GB
Clk Speed : DDR3-1333Mhz Latency : 7-7-7-18
Or Corsair 3*1=3Gb
Clk Speed : DDR3-1333Mhz Latency : 9-9-9-24
as G-skill lower price
Hdd - WD 1TB 32 MB cache
Cabinet - CM HAF 932
Power Supply- Corsiar 750TX
or any supply from cooler master below 800W
Graphic Card- Suggest good one
I think Sapphire 4870 512 Mb or 1Gb

Please suggest that this rig is good one or not???

ashu888ashu888

Core i7 (nehalem) Owner
^^
the config is good, but if u hv a budget in mind, we can suggest u in a better way.. :)
--------------

Also, the nVidia's gtx280 is a gr8 card...(but i cannot comment on tat unless i hv seen ur budget) :) i guess tats a logical step, isint it >?? :) (also wether u want to go for SLi or no in future..)

For futureproofing and also for upgradation worries (later in future)

===========

@ amitash..

thanx for the update buddy... btw, having tat heat sink pipe 2 has any advantages ?? :confused: i knw tat installin tat on the mobo itself consumes a bit more space (and probably blocks one pcie slot, if ppl planning to go for 3way SLi)..but i need a clarification..

Last edited:

vikrant333

Owner of Core i7
^^
the config is good, but if u hv a budget in mind, we can suggest u in a better way.. :)
--------------

Also, the nVidia's gtx280 is a gr8 card...(but i cannot comment on tat unless i hv seen ur budget) :) i guess tats a logical step, isint it >?? :) (also wether u want to go for SLi or no in future..)

For futureproofing and also for upgradation worries (later in future)

===========

@ amitash..

thanx for the update buddy... btw, having tat heat sink pipe 2 has any advantages ?? :confused: i knw tat installin tat on the mobo itself consumes a bit more space (and probably blocks one pcie slot, if ppl planning to go for 3way SLi)..but i need a clarification..

strict budget of 75k
and i think i will go with crossfire as there product range is not expensive
and i confirm about which power supply should i purchase??

ashu888ashu888

Core i7 (nehalem) Owner
Crossfire = 2 ATi cards together
Crossfire X = more than 2 ATi cards together (plz correct me if im wrong)
---------------------
SLi = 2 nVIDIA cards together
3 way SLi = 3 nVIDIA cards together
---------------------

At the moment, core i7 processors from Intel are ur best bet. believe me..and u can go with nVIDIA (SLi's) for ur gaming performance.. :)
for a budget of 75K, here is wat u can go for...

1.) Processor: core i7 920 (2.66 Ghz) --------------------------------> Rs. 15K

2.) Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5 -----------------------------> Rs.17K

3.) RAM: Corsair TR3X3G-1333 C9 (3 GB Kit) (1GB x 3 RAM Sticks) -----> Rs. 8.2K

4.) PSU: Corsair 650W (model: TX650) -------------------------------> Rs. 7K

5.) GPU: Nvidia gtx280 (1GB DDR3) ---------------------------------> Rs. 22.7K

6.) HDD: SATA-II ----> WD 500GB -----------------------------------> Rs. 2.9K

7.) Cabinet: Cooler Master Elite 330 ------------------------------------> Rs. 2K

TOTAL: Rs. 74.8K

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
2GB DDR3 1333Mhz Zion Ram is only Rs. 2850 - that's very cheap, eh ? :p
though I don't know about latency.

vikrant333

Owner of Core i7
Proc- Intel Core i7 920 - 15200/-
Mb - Gigabyte x58 UD5- 16000/-
Ram- G-Skill 3*1=3GB -6500/- Clk Speed : DDR3-1333Mhz Latency : 7-7-7-18
Or Corsair 3*1=3Gb -7700/- Clk Speed : DDR3-1333Mhz Latency : 9-9-9-24
Hdd - WD 1TB 32 MB cache= 5600/-
Cabinet - CM HAF 932= 9000/-
Power Supply- Corsiar 750TX=7700/-
or Cooler Master 750w Real power pro=7700/-
Graphic Card-All companies 4870 1GB card =16000 (Rs.-0+500)
Cooling- Thermalright 120W extreme = 3400/-
or CM V8= 5500/-

all prices are including tax paid

I want your view on products which are not decided

OP
amitash

amitash

Intel OCer
go for the gskill ram... Its faster than the corsair one.... Infacti would suggest the config given by ashu but with the lower latency gskill ram.....@ashu... As far as i can see the hybrid silent pipe feature keeps your mobo nice and cool at the cost of 1 pci x1 slot.... Your 3 pci-e slots should remain free for tri sli use

ashu888ashu888

Core i7 (nehalem) Owner
^^

ooh so um ean to say tat the pci-e slots for my 3 gtx280's (for adding them in future) will be all free adn only a single pci slot (used for peripheral addons like sound card, lan card etc.. will be sacrificed ?? is it ???

wow, if tats true, then even i might get tat Extreme mobo instead of the UD5 (wen it is out).. :)
------------

Cheers n e-peace...

comp@ddict

EXIT: DATA Junkyard
You know, try getting a better Video Card, that Core i7's a waste without a hard core GFX card.

^GT3xx is coming out only 2 months later(If the rumurs are to be blieved)...and I dont think GTX295 is going to get outdated anytime soon...take my 3870x2 for example...Untill december last year I was able to run all games at the highest settings with atleast 8x aa (xept crysis) at 1920x1080...Only now, after a year after I bought it am I feeling its not got enough power to handle everything...The gtx295 is much more powerfull..Its Too powerfull for todays games so I might go for it and get a DX11 card Q2 next year when the games start rolling.
GTX350 won't come out till Q3 2009, that's like July-September, and they'll come with DX11.

Till Q2 2009, there will be GTS 240 and GTS 250 which are a rebrand of 8800GT and 9800GTX respectively with higher clocks.

Last edited:

ashu888ashu888

Core i7 (nehalem) Owner
@ topgear:

yup i think i might go for tat evga mobo :D it really looks promising and with my evga gtx280 SSC, it will be a gr8 combo, wat say ?? :D

I will get it from theitwares.com and he is quoting me the pride as 22K instead of 26K, is it a gr8 bargain >>??

ashu888ashu888

Core i7 (nehalem) Owner
^^

thanx for the clear reply buddy,

i will surely go for this one, its been ages since we all hv bene waiting for the UD5 or the Extreme) but they are still NOT out in India.. :(

Also, as 22K is a gr8 bargain, then i'll buy it from TheITwares.com..... latest by this wednesday. .:D

Btw, already placed order for Corsair RAM, tagan 1100W psu and gtx280 SSC from theITWares.com :D

OP
amitash

amitash

Intel OCer
actually 22k is not a bargain by any means.... Its 300$ in the us and 22k here... Gigabyte extreme is 330$ AND 19k here... The evga mobo is actually not its highest end offering... Its mid range and gigabute has more feature and same oc capabilities...

ashu888ashu888

Core i7 (nehalem) Owner
^^

more features as in wat ?? :confused: (im asking this coz i'll be making the purchase for the Evga mobo in a day or two) jus dnt wanna wait for the GB mobo for eternity (with no exact dates of its arrival) :(

Already meade the purchases for: gtx280 SSC, tagan BZ1100 psu and Corsair RAM

I am happy that the Evga mobo has support for SLi and tri SLi...but still if ther are any other features, i'll want to knw tat too...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom