My core i7-920 and MSI x58 ECLIPSE review

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
amitash

amitash

Intel OCer
^I dont live in america, i have to buy stuff from here, so im making my own bracket for the TRUE...hope it works
was just blown away when i saw the accessories incl'd with the X58 Eclipse mobo.
congtrats and i was blown away by the features too

hellgate

At Hell's Disq
^^^ thnx man

thinking of setting up a 9600GT SLi.sud i go bout it?

running mine @ 3.4Ghz @ 1.29v vcore.
got 18211 in 3DMark06 & 19637 in Cinebench xCpu rendering
rams oc'd to 1360MHz from 1066.

Last edited:
OP
amitash

amitash

Intel OCer
thinking of setting up a 9600GT SLi.sud i go bout it?
Ypu already have a 4870 sonic....Why 9600gt sli?

running mine @ 3.4Ghz @ 1.29v vcore.
got 18211 in 3DMark06 & 19637 in Cinebench xCpu rendering
rams oc'd to 1360MHz from 1066.

Nice but what cooler are u using? The stock cooler is useless and i wouldnt let my cpu get hotter than 75C and if u are using stock i bet the load temps are atleast at 85C and imo i dont think a 1.29v vcore is reqd...i run mine at 3.2 with 1.18v (1.16v with vdrop)...AND about the RAM if you have left the voltages at auto then it might be going past 1.6v INTEL DOES NOT ADVICE VOLTAGES OF MORE THAN 1.65...IF its the case with you then the cpu WILL burn out soon...watch the RAM voltages closely....its also listed in MSI's manual.

hellgate

At Hell's Disq
^^^ sorry running @ 3.5GHz @ 1.2v,was running 3.4GHz @ 1.19v.using stock cooler and getting 75-78C @ load.
ram is running @ 1400 @ 1.59v vdimm.

All Benches run @ 3.5Ghz

*img231.imageshack.us/img231/861/353hw4.th.jpg

3DMark06

*img231.imageshack.us/img231/9257/3d35iz0.th.jpg

Last edited:

hellgate

At Hell's Disq
actually oc'ing is not always done for perf gains.its also done for the fun sake,just to see to wat level u can push the hardware that u own.
so its not always bout needing to oc the procy.

darklord

Cyborg Agent
Congrats on the upgrades :)

While both of you are at it, please keep in mind that anything above 1.6V Vdimm and 1.5V Vtt is good enough to fry the chip.

Also Nehalem clocks memory pretty well.Keep the vdimm low and slightly loose timings and you will see decent clocks and superb bandwidth.

Happy clocking ! ;)

OP
amitash

amitash

Intel OCer
^Yup Now the RAM's running at 1.5v Vdimm timings 9-9-9-25 and a speed of exactly 1600Mhz...BCLK at 160 (3.2Ghz).

UPDATE

Mobo died for unstable bios reasons apparantly...very angry with MSI...Have alraedy ordered a new Gigabyte X58 Extreme...getting a refund for the board.

@hellgate bevery carefull with the board man and if i were you i wouldnt try heavy duty OCing on this board...many people have had BIOS issues..Whatever you do DONT try to flash the bios to a newer versions..many ppl have ruined their mobos like this.

Last edited:

darklord

Cyborg Agent
^Yup Now the RAM's running at 1.5v Vdimm timings 9-9-9-25 and a speed of exactly 1600Mhz...BCLK at 160 (3.2Ghz).

UPDATE

Mobo died for unstable bios reasons apparantly...very angry with MSI...Have alraedy ordered a new Gigabyte X58 Extreme...getting a refund for the board.

@hellgate bevery carefull with the board man and if i were you i wouldnt try heavy duty OCing on this board...many people have had BIOS issues..Whatever you do DONT try to flash the bios to a newer versions..many ppl have ruined their mobos like this.

Sad to hear about the board. Any specific reason why you are saying that it shouldnt be clocked heavily ? I mean its a premium board and if it cant be used for extreme clocking the whats the premium for ?
Although i am not following the Nehalem scene much, i have read that this Eclipse board was one of the most anticipated boards to come out. What went wrong ?

OP
amitash

amitash

Intel OCer
^The bios is what went wrong...apparantly its a VERY unstable board and since you will most probably spoil it if you try to flash it the board is pretty much bad. MSI technical support told me that the BIOS is "Unstable" and they told me that they were working on a new board revision to fix the problems....I cant w8 for a new revision so i bought the Gigabyte which apparantly overclocks more...Use google you will find many post issues with this board and also their platinum board.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom