My core i7-920 and MSI x58 ECLIPSE review

Status
Not open for further replies.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
thank u very much vikranth... I cant seem to get in touch with him...phones always busy.

Just updating, I can get the gigabyte extreme or ud5 mobo by next friday but I just ordered the evga x58 SLI from theitwares...reasons:
1.evga can overclock the i7-920 more... that too with the eleet tool you can OC from windows as well as u can in the bios.
2.evga actually runs cooler than the extreme, even with its mamoth heatsink as it has a fan
3.Im getting a creative x-fi audio card so HD audio is not a problem
4.evga has a bios update so it can support 1800+ mhz of ram (this was the main reason i didnt want it before)
5.Evga's vdroop and voltage control system is actually better than gigabytes.
6.Evga has something in its bios called dummy OC...Just enable it and your i7-920 runs at 3.2Ghz, just by one change in bios.
5.It just looks so much more sexier.

Congrats buddy :p It's the personal choice of me among all x58 mobos though I don't need it ( atleast for now ) :p

OP
amitash

amitash

Intel OCer
@ashu i am buying the evga for 22.5k.... I have no plans of selling it anytime.... And even i liked the evga mobo but the main reason i didnt want it was that, at the time, it had only ddr3 1333mhz support so my ram would not work as i had 6gig 1600mhz ram, now with the bios update it will work... The other reason was that the evga mobo had decent sound compared to gbs high end chip... I am getting a creative xfi so that problem is also solved... Anothe minor reason is that i might be able to get a bracket for my true with which i can overclock to 3.7-4ghz very easily... With the gb mobo, achieving that feat is a little tough.

hellgate

At Hell's Disq
^^^ congrats bro on that new mobo.

even i'm planning to change my MSI X58 Eclipse with a diff mobo.i'm just waiting for a few more mobos to be released.

OP
amitash

amitash

Intel OCer
^i think the only mobo xpected to be released is the evga x58 classified uber mobo... Thats rumored to be 500$

ashu888ashu888

Core i7 (nehalem) Owner
^^

congrats on ur mobo buddy, even im planning to go for tat Evga mobo, final decision now, will place the order on Monday so tat i will get it by wednesday.. :)

NVIDIAGeek

Long Live Gojira!
Congrats, ashu888. Another Core i7 owner. It all started from Amitash :D. @ashu888 - How's the performance of your rig in GTA IV??

OP
amitash

amitash

Intel OCer
^he will tell on wednesday, even im getting it then only but installing games only after 26th.

EDIT: Overclock the eVGA x58 sli board to 4.5Ghz with i7-920 on air!! this must be the highest achieved on air and theres a simple guide for doing it:

*www.evga.com/forums/tm.asp?m=642527

that guys hardware is similar to mine too so im pretty confident that i can hit 3.7 now.

Last edited:

ashu888ashu888

Core i7 (nehalem) Owner
Congrats, ashu888. Another Core i7 owner. It all started from Amitash :D. @ashu888 - How's the performance of your rig in GTA IV??

Yaar, i hv still NOT purchased all the products.. :D
i hv jus the PSU, GPU and the RAM with me...
I will get the rst of the products by nxt week (2nd or 3rd march, 09)
then will asemble it and tell u abt the performance.. :)
---------

^he will tell on wednesday, even im getting it then only but installing games only after 26th.

EDIT: Overclock the eVGA x58 sli board to 4.5Ghz with i7-920 on air!! this must be the highest achieved on air and theres a simple guide for doing it:

*www.evga.com/forums/tm.asp?m=642527

that guys hardware is similar to mine too so im pretty confident that i can hit 3.7 now.

SO, u mean we (u and i) can OC our Evga mobo to tat insane speed ?? tat too on stock "AIR" cooling !! :O:O well tats really gr8 to hear then.. :D
--------------------

OP
amitash

amitash

Intel OCer
SO, u mean we (u and i) can OC our Evga mobo to tat insane speed ?? tat too on stock "AIR" cooling !! :O:O well tats really gr8 to hear then..

Firstly you have 3 limitations:

1.You do not have a cpu cooler like my TRUE.

2.You have only DDR3 1333Mhz RAM...That will seriously limit your OC as OCing increases your Ram frequency...
Eg: You can set your ram to 800Mhz and Ram divider to 2:8..So for every 1mhz increase in bclk you will get 8mhz increase in RAM...Asuming your Ram can reach max value at 1333Mhz, you can reach max 166bclk==3.48Ghz....Now you can set your ram divider to 2:6, here you may be able to hit 4Ghz BUT the lower the ram divider, the lower the stability and the more voltage you have to apply to your CPU and uncore.

3.The 4.2Ghz OC can only be kept for 24/7 on water...On the best air cooler also you will be able to manage 3.8Ghz at the most...The overclock done by this guy is just to take a screen shot...It would be insane to keep it at 1.5v

ashu888ashu888

Core i7 (nehalem) Owner
^^

rightly said ..

Neways, as of now i hv NO intentions of changing the power diapers of this i7 baby.. :D , its better if it sits in its own 2.66 Ghz shell.. :D

But, even if i plan to OC it (later)...so i think i can OC it to say jus 2.8Ghz (from its stock 2.66Ghz) on my Corsair 1333Mhz RAM or not even tat ??
-------------

Cheers n e-peace...

OP
amitash

amitash

Intel OCer
^Actualy since intel turbo mode will be enabled in the bios by default, your speed will be 133*21=2.8Ghz so it comes pre-overclocked :D.

I have EVERY intention of maxing out my 920...just cant resist tweaking it :D

And on your RAM you can easily overclock to 3.5-3.6Ghz...Additional OCing will require tad high voltages...You can OC to 3.2Ghz on stock cooling for 24x7 use...Anything above will require a cooler... at 3.5Ghz you can run your ram at 1320Mhz with a 2:8 ratio...This will be perfect for you..
I can do exactly 200Bclk safely ie that will be 4.2Ghz with my Ram running at 1600Mhz..

ashu888ashu888

Core i7 (nehalem) Owner
^^ thanx for the update buddy.. :)

I will be following u step-by-step (as im a total novice) in this OCing thingy.. so u better help me out step by step later.. :)

ashu888ashu888

Core i7 (nehalem) Owner
^^
thanx buddy, will discuss these with u (OCing) wen we both get our Mobos.. :D Coz even i'll plan to get the same Evga mobo as u are getting...

hellgate

At Hell's Disq
^^^ u can easily do 3.33GHz 24/7.
running it at that speed from the day i got this i7 setup.no issues till now.running 100% stable.the highest that i got with stock air cooling (only for benching) was something like 3.5 or 3.6GHz dunt remember exactly.that too with 1066MHz Transcend ram.

OP
amitash

amitash

Intel OCer
what volts were those at? Did u set it to auto? I think it would require sth like 1.3v.... Btw intel says you should not run the core i7 above 80c or it will seriously reduce the lifespan so keep an eye on ur temps

ashu888ashu888

Core i7 (nehalem) Owner
Hey Amitash..

Wen are u plannign to update the BIOS of ur Evga X58 mobo ? i mean straight after getting it assembled (w'out the OS loaded) using the .ISO onto a CD to bootup and then update the BIOS or wat ? :confused:

Coz, to tell u frankly, im NOT at all well versed in these BIOS updates, so will need FULL Assistance and explaination from u to help me get it done yaar.. hope u'll help me step by step..

My mobo (evga X58 from THEitwares.com) will reach by wed, 4th march...

OP
amitash

amitash

Intel OCer
first boot into the bios and load default settings... Then install ur os and all the drivers and keep it ready... I will do the same and then i will flash and give u step by step instructions

EIDT: Mobo just arrived, will update.

Last edited:

ashu888ashu888

Core i7 (nehalem) Owner
^^ ooh gr8, the mobo has arrived ?? wow man, congrats.. :D
-------------

I will get my mobo by this thursday...(ordered today, evga x58 and 1TB WD HDD)
---------------

U jus update adn post the step by step instructions for me.. like step-1, step-2 etc and so on... :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom