Multimedia Laptop for Home Use - Research for future purchase

Status
Not open for further replies.

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
[Updated] Multimedia Laptop for Home Use

I have a HP DV6602 AU which was bought almost 5 yrs ago. I want to replace that laptop with a new one.
Link for that thread

I will be buying the laptop two months later in next 15-20 days.. I created this thread early as I need to do research on the products and then shortlist them and based on the price I need to save money. I was thinking about Mac Book previously, but I think its a overkill for the use and my dad would hate OS X .. so going for a smaller budget.

1) What is your budget? (INR or USD)
Rs. 35,000-50,000 (flexible)

2) What size & weight consideration (if any) would you prefer?

Mainstream - 15"

3) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?
Best quality required, I would prefer good after sales services and also if there is extended warranty/post warranty AMC etc..
Dont Like: HP ... specially a laptop which looks like this HP Pavilion G6-2005AX

4) What are the primary tasks will you be performing with this notebook?
Home Use: used by family members For surfing, watching videos/online, Music(primary - iTunes), casual gaming(I already have a good enough system to play mainstream games)

5) What screen resolution(s) & type (glossy/matte) would you prefer?

I think 1366 x 768 is the standard for 15" screen. Matte preferred but can settle for Glossy if hardware is good.

6) Anything else you would like to say? (eg: local purchase, ASS,matte/glossy finish)
Will check prices online as well as in SP Road Bangalore, ill go for which ever is cheap.
I will also check Other retailers like Chrome, eZone etc.

the laptop use
95% of the time its home use only.

Dad - iTunes(including CD Ripping), Youtube, Movies, Surfing, Excel - I haven't seen him do anything else other than these.
Brother - Internet Banking, Surfing, Games - Flash mostly. (may be some popcap kinda games)
Sis-In-Law - Surfing, Movies
Me- Troubleshooting in case anything goes wrong :lol:

I prefer Intel due to the bad performance issue I faced with my current laptop(AMD), but I am completely open for AMD solution too.
I feel 3rd gen Core i3 would be sufficient, but if Core i5 Comes into the budget then ill be happy :)
4GB RAM , 500GB/s] 1TB HDD, DVD Drive
Win 7 Home Premium need and also to be included in the budget.. can add 2-3K if total cost exceeds 40K..

EDIT: Update. My laptops Audio has failed. so I spoke to my dad and he said lets go for a new one.

Initially I was planing to buy the laptop but my dad said he will pay :) . so I can add additional 10-15K to the budget from my end.

His requirement - Should be Fast and Loads of Space :)

Last edited:
OP
RCuber

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
lol :mrgreen:

Lenovo G580 or Samsung NP300E5X-A01IN.

LOL I didn't realize that you had started that HP G6 2005AX thread.... no offense .. I didn't like the design at all :( also my sis in law used to work for HP, ill get trashed if I say anything against HP at home :D

Both laptops look quite good and specs are also good, Looks wise I liked Lenovo.
I also found this Samsung NP300E5X-S01IN NP300E5X-S01IN Laptop: Flipkart.com: Compare, Review Samsung Notebook , 750GB HDD and GT 610M .

need to see all the specs closely..

In the mean time, can you guys also suggest AMD Alternates..

EDIT: I need to add Win 7 Home Premium to the budget in-case the OS doesn't come installed with one which is true in the above models.

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
LOL I didn't realize that you had started that HP G6 2005AX thread.... no offense .. I didn't like the design at all :(

i have used the laptop for 2-3 days and my only complain was, its a bit too thick compared to Lenovos that i have used.

Both laptops look quite good and specs are also good, Looks wise I liked Lenovo.
I also found this Samsung NP300E5X-S01IN NP300E5X-S01IN Laptop: Flipkart.com: Compare, Review Samsung Notebook , 750GB HDD and GT 610M .

GT610 is useless. Don't know why the added such a crap GPU. Performance is same as HD4000.
Samsung NP300V5A-A08IN, Lenovo Z5807 & Samsung Series 3. the first Samsung looks the best with a single tone colour and the last one too but its yet to be available and may get priced at 35k+.

EDIT: I need to add Win 7 Home Premium to the budget in-case the OS doesn't come installed with one which is true in the above models.

both Samsung have W7 Premium and Lenovo has Basic. Also i don't think 2nd gen or 3rd gen will make much difference in this case as popcap games are light ones and any processor can run them easily.

OP
RCuber

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
Update.. My laptop's Audio has failed.. so will be going for the laptop in next 15-20 days. Please advise.

I have edited the OP.. please check.

OP
RCuber

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
How is this laptop? Samsung NP300V5A-S0GIN 2nd gen Ci5/4GB/1TB/1GB graphics/Win 7 HP

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
looks really premium though price is slightly on the higher side. should have been 37-38k. 3rd gen i5 with no GPU would have kept price low. go for it.

OP
RCuber

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
Will be buying on 3rd or 4th, so I still have ~15 days to decide.. I still feel The Lenovo model you suggested as the best looking. will checkout local vendors for demo.

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
3k more for Core i5. premium looks, Windows 7 Premium, bigger HDD is worth it. Actually considering 3rd gen Core i5 based Samsung without Windows 7 can be bought for 34k, 40k looks high.

OP
RCuber

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
3k more for Core i5. premium looks, Windows 7 Premium, bigger HDD is worth it. Actually considering 3rd gen Core i5 based Samsung without Windows 7 can be bought for 34k, 40k looks high.
errr... I got a bit confused with your reply :-? which model are you referring to?

adnan87

Broken In
You can check below one as well..
SVE15116EN : E Series : VAIO™ Laptop & Computer : Sony India

you can get it for around 42-43k..

OP
RCuber

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
^^ its a nice config, I would buy it personally, but for my dad not a good option..
-ve I found in that model
500GB HDD
Win7 HB
Battery - Bundled Battery lasts only 2.5 hrs :(

OP
RCuber

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
Update: My dad says why so expensive laptop for his purpose :oops: I told him I will give half of the amount .. he says no.. you invest in LIC :oops: will try to convince for the Samsung model else I need to recheck for a lower budget..

OP
RCuber

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
Update: I told my dad that the Samsung laptop I have chosen would last for 5 years. he seemed ok with that :)..

BTW how is Samsung post sales service? how is the RMA/ Service turn around time?

OP
RCuber

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
All the research gone to waste :( .. my dad says he now wants a PC .. I had tried to convince him for the Samsung Laptop, but he wants a Desktop now... :-?

Thank you all for suggestion really appreciate it. :)

@Mods. Please close this thread .. will open a new thread for Desktop configuration.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom