MSI Brand Gaming Laptops: Are they good?

geek_rocker

Broken In
Win8.1 will be the staple soon as there are rumors that MS is cutting off support for Win7 soon, soon meaning it might happen this year or the next. As of now, All MSI gaming laptop can support Win7, with the drivers constantly being updated by our techies.

So FreeDOS confirmed? I mean I would prefer getting Windows 8 boxed from flipkart than pre-installed Win 8. I mean it's still better having a clean Windows 8 experience than having that bloatware infested crap and poorly designed recovery applications from most manufacturers. A lot of them are so bad that you can't even just reinstall the OS to a certain partition, it has to delete all the partitions. :|

Also, are there any plans to enter the lower end of the market? Like in the 40-55k range? This stuff is exciting to say the least.

melt

Broken In
[MENTION=277192]rhyansy[/MENTION] any latest update on tentative launch date and starting price?

OP
rhyansy

rhyansy

MSI Gaming Pan India Sale
Hi rhyansy ..
I see "Active content removed" instead of the video ...

Might be linking error. Below is the link to the video in MSI India Facebook Club.
*www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=773470495997057

- - - Updated - - -

So FreeDOS confirmed? I mean I would prefer getting Windows 8 boxed from flipkart than pre-installed Win 8. I mean it's still better having a clean Windows 8 experience than having that bloatware infested crap and poorly designed recovery applications from most manufacturers. A lot of them are so bad that you can't even just reinstall the OS to a certain partition, it has to delete all the partitions. :|

Also, are there any plans to enter the lower end of the market? Like in the 40-55k range? This stuff is exciting to say the least.

Thank you so much for the inquiries. All in all, everything will depend on the confirmation from our channel partners. Once negotiation is finalized, the dates of re-launching will be settled.

melt

Broken In
A good features review of MSI GS60 Ghost at below link:

*www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ICjqsUk82o&list=UUXuqSBlHAE6Xw-yeJA0Tunw

Looks good from initial impressions. Lets see when this will be launched & how this will be priced in India.

HauntedGuy

Broken In
I've a barebone's version of the ge40 (MSI-1492) that I had delivered to me from the UK.
So far, I'm really satisfied with the performance packed in the slim chassis. The powerful i7-4700MQ coupled with the GTX 760m packed in a light 14" body made it a perfect choice for me as I'm a hardcore gamer but also wanted a laptop that I could carry to college.
I'd very much like to see MSI launching their products in India, especially since I've bought this laptop with a huge risk - I've nowhere to go to for repairs in case anything goes wrong, nor do I have any option to get spare parts(such as a spare battery) other than importing.
I'd very much recommend MSI laptops to my friends after using this one, the ge40 and the gs60 are excellent options, at affordable prices(my custom ge40 is configured exactly as an alienware 14 which is 50k more expensive).

seamon

Superhuman Spambot
I've a barebone's version of the ge40 (MSI-1492) that I had delivered to me from the UK.
So far, I'm really satisfied with the performance packed in the slim chassis. The powerful i7-4700MQ coupled with the GTX 760m packed in a light 14" body made it a perfect choice for me as I'm a hardcore gamer but also wanted a laptop that I could carry to college.
I'd very much like to see MSI launching their products in India, especially since I've bought this laptop with a huge risk - I've nowhere to go to for repairs in case anything goes wrong, nor do I have any option to get spare parts(such as a spare battery) other than importing.
I'd very much recommend MSI laptops to my friends after using this one, the ge40 and the gs60 are excellent options, at affordable prices(my custom ge40 is configured exactly as an alienware 14 which is 50k more expensive).

Alienware 14 has FHD screen and GTX 765m which is clocked higher than GTX 760m.

- - - Updated - - -

Also Alienware prices are BS.

OP
rhyansy

rhyansy

Actually, you can still bring any MSI laptops bought elsewhere for repair with SmartLink locally, but for a cost only. It's better than bringing back the laptop back to UK for service. Thank you for the feedback tho! It really provides us confidence of bringing MSI gaming laptops back to India.

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

Ah, MSI's gaming laptops are all anti-glare type in addition to at least 2K resolution!

falcongamer

Broken In
Actually, you can still bring any MSI laptops bought elsewhere for repair with SmartLink locally, but for a cost only. It's better than bringing back the laptop back to UK for service. Thank you for the feedback tho! It really provides us confidence of bringing MSI gaming laptops back to India.

Why does he need to pay a fee for repairs? Isn't the warranty international like you said?

seamon

Superhuman Spambot

- - - Updated - - -

Ah, MSI's gaming laptops are all anti-glare type in addition to at least 2K resolution!

You mean fhd right, cuz actual 2k is 2048x1080 pixels.

OP
rhyansy

rhyansy

Why does he need to pay a fee for repairs? Isn't the warranty international like you said?

International warranty is honored in most countries around the world. BUT India's ASP contract with MSI do not have this agreement. This is because of capacity and costs to maintain the after service in India and also to encourage MSI laptops be bought in India and not elsewhere. This is very honest answer and hopefully as customers, we can also understand the vendors burden regarding this support.

- - - Updated - - -

BIG NEWS: MSI laptops might become available the second half of the year! Relaunching is almost certain.

Problem facing now is of certification issues, BIS certification. If anyone have any idea on how to help us with expediting this please give us your feedback.

Thank you so much for the help!

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
^ BIS certification is more like BS certification.
they have gone nuts and most certainly will push India back to stone-age if rules like that are continued to be made.

IMHO, OEMs like LG, Sony, Samsung, Apple, Lenovo, Dell, etc who already have a huge presence in India would take a stand against such bill and not let it be made into a norm.

falcongamer

Broken In
So laptops from outside won't be serviced here in India, but laptops bought in India would be serviced outside India? Ok, fine by me!

The BIS thing is really BS.

OP
rhyansy

rhyansy

^ BIS certification is more like BS certification.
they have gone nuts and most certainly will push India back to stone-age if rules like that are continued to be made.

IMHO, OEMs like LG, Sony, Samsung, Apple, Lenovo, Dell, etc who already have a huge presence in India would take a stand against such bill and not let it be made into a norm.

Yes, it really is! I will post a separate post regarding this matter. There are so many certifications already from US, EU, JP from most electronics that adding another one is really meaningless.

- - - Updated - - -

So laptops from outside won't be serviced here in India, but laptops bought in India would be serviced outside India? Ok, fine by me!

I'll explain again the (2) scenarios.
(1) MSI laptop bought outside of India --> Can be serviced in India BUT for a fee (SmartLink ASP in India's contract with MSI)
--> If returned to wherever it is bought, as this case in the US, if the laptop is still under warranty, it can be serviced for free BUT you have to ship it back to US
--> MSI laptop bought in US can also be serviced in other official ASP. Refer to link for complete list: *www.msi.com/page/warranty
Capture.JPG

(2) MSI laptop bought in India --> As long as laptop is under warranty, laptop can be serviced for free.
--> Can also be serviced internationally for free under warranty in other official ASP.

Hope this helps!

HauntedGuy

Broken In

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry, I had old info.
I got my MSI at 70k, THIS alienware is available at 117k. It has a WORSE card(GT 750m) and costs 48k more. The GTX 765m version is for 6k More than that..
Granted the alienware has a 1080p screen, and I had the option for that in my msi too, for about 5k more, but I chose to save the money for two reasons-1) at 14", 1080p is overkill and 2) I compared benchmarks of 760m at 900p and 765m at 1080p, the 765m at 1080p gives 10 FPS less on an average.

So in my opinion, my SkyfireIII(MSI ge 40) beats an alienware on any day.

Also, I know alienware pries are BS, but at the time of my purchase(and probably till date), there's no other laptop available in India with a GTX760 or 765...The indian market jumps straigh from a lenovo Y510P(65k) to the likes of alienware 14/17 and Asus G750JX (over 110k) so there's nothing else to compare with...

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

Glad to know that. Delhi is a lot closer than the UK...

And no,I was expecting no warranty from MSI, since it's based on barebones the warranty lies with the custom laptop manufacturer. I only hoped that MSI would service it at least at a price..

Last edited:

AKP

Broken In
I own a Msi x460dx and I am very happy from it. The build quality of this one is awesome and it is also pretty easy to self-service, Open up and clean the vents, fans and all if you do that.

I have this laptop for over an year and have faced no issues so far. This one heats a bit with excessive gaming but nothing compared to Dell and HP heating on moderate or light use. Besides this is not built for gaming so I do not expect it to be cool like gaming models.

The only minus I thought were that, when I tried to open the monitor the wiring were not properly arranged, lots of loose cables not properly placed, but for normal use that never had any problem. I stumbled upon this when I was exploring the device.

I would 100% back you to go for Msi. Never needed a servicing till date.
When i bought the MSI I was too concerned about servicing and stuff and took a gamble and have not regretted yet. Also there are few outsourced servicing centers in India but not so widespread.

seamon

Superhuman Spambot
Sorry, I had old info.
I got my MSI at 70k, THIS alienware is available at 117k. It has a WORSE card(GT 750m) and costs 48k more. The GTX 765m version is for 6k More than that..
Granted the alienware has a 1080p screen, and I had the option for that in my msi too, for about 5k more, but I chose to save the money for two reasons-1) at 14", 1080p is overkill and 2) I compared benchmarks of 760m at 900p and 765m at 1080p, the 765m at 1080p gives 10 FPS less on an average.

So in my opinion, my SkyfireIII(MSI ge 40) beats an alienware on any day.

Also, I know alienware pries are BS, but at the time of my purchase(and probably till date), there's no other laptop available in India with a GTX760 or 765...The indian market jumps straigh from a lenovo Y510P(65k) to the likes of alienware 14/17 and Asus G750JX (over 110k) so there's nothing else to compare with...

- - - Updated - - -

Glad to know that. Delhi is a lot closer than the UK...

And no,I was expecting no warranty from MSI, since it's based on barebones the warranty lies with the custom laptop manufacturer. I only hoped that MSI would service it at least at a price..

Alienware 14 with 750m is for komplete idiots konsidering it's a komplete ripoff. I was talking about 765m version. Y510p with dual cards performs on the level of g750jx but not available here.
760m has the same specs as 765m but lower clocks and can easily be made into a 765m with msi afterburner so don't compare performance at different resolutions.

rohitshubham

Ambassador of Buzz
i sincerely hope that after the launch of MSI laptops the competition will increase in the 65-75k range which is currently dominated by Y510p, i mean not a single option is present to the customers.

Top Bottom