MSI Brand Gaming Laptops: Are they good?

AbhMkh

Ambassador of Buzz
LOL noob.

3.4 Ghz is the NORMAL Turbo boost of the core i7 4700MQ and core i7 4700HQ. Overclocking above this leads to high temps.

Intel Core i7 4700MQ vs 4700HQ

Some more benchmarks. In some core i7 4700MQ performs better while in others core i7 4700HQ performs better. Just so you know, every computer is different and there are major differences between even same models.
According to your benchmarks, the max for both are the same. The low results of some core i7 4700MQ are due to thermal bottlenecking. In some of other benchmarks core i7 4700MQ wins whereas in others 4700HQ wins by 0.5-1%. This much is acceptable between even same proccys.
So much for trying to prove me wrong. *sigh*. Try not to be so self-righteous, be humble and post with an open-mind.

core i7 HQ is the better proccy only when both are overclocked using expensive Thermal pastes and additional copper heatsinks but in real world usage both processors give the same performance.
core i7 4700MQ overheats without OC in Y510p. These proccys won't overheat 17 inchers but OCing them definitely will. Besides both of them are very powerful and don't need overclocking.
Overall imo core i7 4700MQ is still better as this one is not soldered to the mobo and can be upgraded later if need be.

Intel Core i7 4700MQ Notebook Processor - NotebookCheck.net Tech

As I said before, do some research and verify your facts before calling others a "noob".

The 4700mq turbo's upto 3.4 ghz on a single core,3.3 ghz on two cores and 3.2 on a quad core config(no of active cores).Overclocking it will run the 4700mq at 3.4 ghz on a quad core config, similarly a 4700hq will run at 3.6 ghz on a quad core config when overclocked.

And no, overclocking these proccys by such a small amount does not require expensive heat sinks and thermal pastes, an efficient cooling system of a gaming laptop should be enough to handle the extra heat.

Read this and enlighten yourself !

4700HQ overclocking

And just so you know, I always post with humility until people start calling me a noob(on more than one seperate occasion, that too without reason) and start writing/shouting "WRONG" in caps.

Cheers!
Abhijit

seamon

Superhuman Spambot
Intel Core i7 4700MQ Notebook Processor - NotebookCheck.net Tech

As I said before, do some research and verify your facts before calling others a "noob".

The 4700mq turbo's upto 3.4 ghz on a single core,3.3 ghz on two cores and 3.2 on a quad core config(no of active cores).Overclocking it will run the 4700mq at 3.4 ghz on a quad core config, similarly a 4700hq will run at 3.6 ghz on a quad core config when overclocked.

And no, overclocking these proccys by such a small amount does not require expensive heat sinks and thermal pastes, an efficient cooling system of a gaming laptop should be enough to handle the extra heat.

Read this and enlighten yourself !

4700HQ overclocking

And just so you know, I always post with humility until people start calling me a noob(on more than one seperate occasion, that too without reason) and start writing/shouting "WRONG" in caps.

Cheers!
Abhijit

You did not specify in your first post whether you were talking about one core or 4. Not my fault. I assumed you were talking about one core for which the TB is 3.4 Ghz.
What are you trying to prove through your link? I see a bunch of guys trying to overclock a core i7 4700HQ with temps as high 96-98 degrees. That's very hot. Temps like those will damage the mobo. For some one who has no experience in overclocking, you sure do create a lot of ruckus.

- - - Updated - - -

FYI benchmarking with Cinebench doesn't check CPU overheating because benchmarking lasts for 1-2 min. Running Prime95 for 30 mins is a real test of CPU overheating.

AbhMkh

Ambassador of Buzz
You did not specify in your first post whether you were talking about one core or 4. Not my fault. I assumed you were talking about one core for which the TB is 3.4 Ghz.
What are you trying to prove through your link? I see a bunch of guys trying to overclock a core i7 4700HQ with temps as high 96-98 degrees. That's very hot. Temps like those will damage the mobo. For some one who has no experience in overclocking, you sure do create a lot of ruckus.

- - - Updated - - -

FYI benchmarking with Cinebench doesn't check CPU overheating because benchmarking lasts for 1-2 min. Running Prime95 for 30 mins is a real test of CPU overheating.

Whatever you say, Mr pretend-to-know-it-all.(but even a guy with zero experience in computers knows that when speaking about overclocking we consider all the cores and not just one).

The guy in that thread who was running a temp of 96 degress had a bad paste job and sent his laptop for mantainence, the rest of them were running a temp of 86 degrees, but whatever you say....

seamon

Superhuman Spambot
Whatever you say, Mr pretend-to-know-it-all.(but even a guy with zero experience in computers knows that when speaking about overclocking we consider all the cores and not just one).

The guy in that thread who was running a temp of 96 degress had a bad paste job and sent his laptop for mantainence, the rest of them were running a temp of 86 degrees, but whatever you say....

That's your assumption. Some people try to OC just one core to see its limits.
For the past 2-3 hours, you have been frantically searching the internet to find proof of how the core i7 4700HQ is somehow better than core i7 4700MQ just to prove that you are correct and I am wrong and you call me Mr pretend-to-know-it-all, such hypocrisy.
I went through that thread again and it does not have anything to prove that CPUs are overheating or not. They are just running Cinebench which runs for say 1 min most? That's not even enough time to get the CPU warmed up. Heating occurs slowly. If all the cores are being used 100% for say 30 mins and the temps get very high, only then you know there is overheating in the CPU.

AbhMkh

Ambassador of Buzz
That's your assumption. Some people try to OC just one core to see its limits.
For the past 2-3 hours, you have been frantically searching the internet to find proof of how the core i7 4700HQ is somehow better than core i7 4700MQ just to prove that you are correct and I am wrong and you call me Mr pretend-to-know-it-all, such hypocrisy.
I went through that thread again and it does not have anything to prove that CPUs are overheating or not. They are just running Cinebench which runs for say 1 min most? That's not even enough time to get the CPU warmed up. Heating occurs slowly. If all the cores are being used 100% for say 30 mins and the temps get very high, only then you know there is overheating in the CPU.

Have a looksy at the thread again, then you will realize who is trying to prove what.

My first statement was that intel is releasing two different lineups with broadwell a mainstream lineup with suffix m and a high performance lineup with suffix h(which infact is true), and somehow you managed to connect that to 4700mq and hq which are haswell generation processors.

Then I mentioned the subtle difference between both(I never said one is better than the other) and yet somehow you managed to connect it to overclocking and performance.

Looks like your RC skills need some work.That being said I am going to settle this "which is better" debate once and for all.

4700HQ is better than 4700MQ purely in the terms of specs and all round usability because.

1. Higher overclocking capacity

2. Slightly higher GPU clock

3. It supports "Intel I/O Virtualization Technology", which 4700mq doesn't making it the ideal processor to run VM's on(If you dont know what that is, google it)

And for cooling an overclocked 4700mq in a gaming laptop, we will need a cooling pad at max as mentioned in this thread.

*forum.techinferno.com/general-notebook-discussions/5542-4700mq-overclocking.html

Last edited:

seamon

Superhuman Spambot
Have a looksy at the thread again, then you will realize who is trying to prove what.

My first statement was that intel is releasing two different lineups with broadwell a mainstream lineup with suffix m and a high performance lineup with suffix h(which infact is true), and somehow you managed to connect that to 4700mq and hq which are haswell generation processors.

Then I mentioned the subtle difference between both(I never said one is better than the other) and yet somehow you managed to connect it to overclocking and performance.

Looks like your RC skills need some work.That being said I am going to settle this "which is better" debate once and for all.

4700HQ is better than 4700MQ purely in the terms of specs and all round usability because.

1. Higher overclocking capacity

2. Slightly higher GPU clock

3. It supports "Intel I/O Virtualization Technology", which 4700mq doesn't making it the ideal processor to run VM's on(If you dont know what that is, google it)

You are the one who went off topic. How the hell did Broadwell even land here? This was a discussion of MSI laptops which will have Haswell proccys. Broadwell is still a long way ahead.

You went ahead and posted benchmarks claiming core i7 4700HQ is better than core i7 4700MQ. Stop contradicting yourself.

Wrong again.
the 4700 line is never meant solely for creating VMs, the XM line is recommended for that.
1.Bad idea to overclock Haswell.
2.These CPUs come with dGPUs so no need of iGPU performance.
3.point.
4. 4700MQ is user replaceable which opens the possibility of upgrading CPU to core i7 4930MX for workstation purposes.

In a real world scenario, both CPUs will perform equally no matter what. Suppose the core i7 4700HQ is OCed to provide better performance then it will slow down due to thermal throttling.
4700MQ is still better considering the massive advantage it provides.

- - - Updated - - -

When adequate cooling is supplied, then overclocked core i7 4700HQ is better as mentioned before.

AbhMkh

Ambassador of Buzz
You are the one who went off topic. How the hell did Broadwell even land here? This was a discussion of MSI laptops which will have Haswell proccys. Broadwell is still a long way ahead.

You went ahead and posted benchmarks claiming core i7 4700HQ is better than core i7 4700MQ. Stop contradicting yourself.

Wrong again.
the 4700 line is never meant solely for creating VMs, the XM line is recommended for that.
1.Bad idea to overclock Haswell.
2.These CPUs come with dGPUs so no need of iGPU performance.
3.point.
4. 4700MQ is user replaceable which opens the possibility of upgrading CPU to core i7 4930MX for workstation purposes.

In a real world scenario, both CPUs will perform equally no matter what. Suppose the core i7 4700HQ is OCed to provide better performance then it will slow down due to thermal throttling.
4700MQ is still better considering the massive advantage it provides.

You started the performance debate, I just joined in.

Anyways, this is from one of your earlier posts.

Update:These guys are serious about launching gaming laptops at a low price.
They are considering pairing core i7 4710QM with GTX 860M. That's pretty solid.
Chat with rhyansy directly here:
*www.facebook.com/MsiIndiaClub

Do you think 4710mq is a haswell chip ?, LOL ! ..I am beginning to think that I am wasting my time here

And xm/mx(same thing) series for Virtual Machines, LOL !.

Sure, lets use the Intel extreme series for running VM's and Intel Xeon series for playing games.

4700HQ has better virtualization capabilities than its counterpart is what I mean't, and now I seriously don't give a damn about which is better, but I will rest my case by saying that notebookcheck ranks the 4700hq above the mq.

seamon

Superhuman Spambot
You started the performance debate, I just joined in.

Anyways, this is from one of your earlier posts.

Update:These guys are serious about launching gaming laptops at a low price.
They are considering pairing core i7 4710QM with GTX 860M. That's pretty solid.
Chat with rhyansy directly here:
*www.facebook.com/MsiIndiaClub

Do you think 4710mq is a haswell chip ?, LOL ! ..I am beginning to think that I am wasting my time here

And xm/mx(same thing) series for Virtual Machines, LOL !.

Sure, lets use the Intel extreme series for running VM's and Intel Xeon series for playing games.

4700HQ has better virtualization capabilities than its counterpart is what I mean't, and now I seriously don't give a damn about which is better, but I will rest my case by saying that notebookcheck ranks the 4700hq above the mq.

I won't comment on 4710MQ which is something rhyansy requested me to keep confidential. Rest assured for you it doesn't exist.
XM is a mobile processor line whereas Xeon is desktop. Seriously.....now I feel I am wasting my time.

AbhMkh

Ambassador of Buzz
I won't comment on 4710MQ which is something rhyansy requested me to keep confidential. Rest assured for you it doesn't exist.
XM is a mobile processor line whereas Xeon is desktop. Seriously.....now I feel I am wasting my time.

Confidential eh ?, I agree, lets keep a mainstream quad core processor from Intels upcoming Broadwell lineup confidential.......Oops !...Oh No ! , now the CIA will come after me,anyways tell your friend rhyansy that we would appreciate the inclusion of Broadwell's high performance lineup(suffixed with H) and not the mainstream lineup(suffixed with M).

Now while we are on this subject, let me educate you about Intels Xtreme lineup, the processors from this lineup are suffixed with X and include both desktop and mobile CPU's.These processors are meant for demanding applications and games, on the other Intel Xeon is a series exclusively built for servers and and powerful systems meant to run virtual machines, but these are very expensive so people on a budget have to use normal Cpu's

OP
rhyansy

rhyansy

MSI Gaming Pan India Sale
Any plans for launching the all AMD laptops ?(GX 60,70 ?)

Also will the prices be a direct dollar to rupee equivalent or will they be more in India ?

Okay, the is getting out of hand, CPUs issues aside, there's not point arguing it now here as the main point is whether MSI will re-launch gaming laptops to India or not. Just wait for the official release by Intel and compare as you please.

For now, back to more relevant topic, as mentioned earlier, we will start to release GT70 and GE60 only an initial re-launch. As for other gaming laptop models, they will follow once market acceptance is good. Please also understand the business stand point that our main problem is bringing expensive gaming laptops locally is not easy task as it posses so much risk for the channel partners. If it do not sell well, how do you think will we continue?

- - - Updated - - -

Confidential eh ?, I agree, lets keep a mainstream quad core processor from Intels upcoming Broadwell lineup confidential.......Oops !...Oh No ! , now the CIA will come after me,anyways tell your friend rhyansy that we would appreciate the inclusion of Broadwell's high performance lineup(suffixed with H) and not the mainstream lineup(suffixed with M).

Now while we are on this subject, let me educate you about Intels Xtreme lineup, the processors from this lineup are suffixed with X and include both desktop and mobile CPU's.These processors are meant for demanding applications and games, on the other Intel Xeon is a series exclusively built for servers and and powerful systems meant to run virtual machines, but these are very expensive so people on a budget have to use normal Cpu's

Hello AbhMkh, I appreciate your ideas for MSI gaming laptops. Regarding CPUs aside, if you need more information about more relevant info about our gaming laptops, feel free to chat with me at MSI India Club in Facebook: *www.facebook.com/MsiIndiaClub

- - - Updated - - -

Back to the original topic, please give only relevant feedback about MSI gaming laptops to help in re-launching in India. It will help all lot on how to plan this out in our part. Thank you!

kkn13

Cyber Genius FTW
[MENTION=277192]rhyansy[/MENTION] what about pricing? will it be cheaper than say alienware or other overpriced brands and will there be customisation options like how USA laptop sites have?the timing is just perfect , i was looking for a laptop to replace one of my beasts who gave in last week and MSI would be a no brainer for me if its cheap ,gives customisation and after sales warranty etc

seamon

Superhuman Spambot
[MENTION=277192]rhyansy[/MENTION] what about pricing? will it be cheaper than say alienware or other overpriced brands and will there be customisation options like how USA laptop sites have?the timing is just perfect , i was looking for a laptop to replace one of my beasts who gave in last week and MSI would be a no brainer for me if its cheap ,gives customisation and after sales warranty etc

Alienware people are daylight robbers. GT 750m in lowest alienware laptop for 1 lakh 18k :lol:

kkn13

Cyber Genius FTW
+1 to this. They don't even give customisation options at that price. :mad:
yeah i have a higher opinion of MSI over alienware hell even my dell inspriron turbo had better customisation options and value for money compared to alienware india
i nearly bought the alienware m14x instead of my dell but was dissapointed with the vfm and config
the dell was very close to the m14x except for gpu and design ofcourse but benchmarks were nearly as good as m14x
MSI's withdrawal and return to india will revolutionise the laptop scene if MSI retains its lower pricing and customisation
my friend had an MSI laptop from USA which has an older config but still runs exceptionally well and smokes most other laptops available here

seamon

Superhuman Spambot
yeah i have a higher opinion of MSI over alienware hell even my dell inspriron turbo had better customisation options and value for money compared to alienware india
i nearly bought the alienware m14x instead of my dell but was dissapointed with the vfm and config
the dell was very close to the m14x except for gpu and design ofcourse but benchmarks were nearly as good as m14x
MSI's withdrawal and return to india will revolutionise the laptop scene if MSI retains its lower pricing and customisation
my friend had an MSI laptop from USA which has an older config but still runs exceptionally well and smokes most other laptops available here

Believe it or not, Alienware was once a Clevo reseller until they did so good that Dell bought them.

kkn13

Cyber Genius FTW
Believe it or not, Alienware was once a Clevo reseller until they did so good that Dell bought them.

yeah i know infact clevo and alienware still have similiar design and configs but price difference and on board software(alienware FX etc) are different

seamon

Superhuman Spambot
I really hope they do well in India. My plans for my next laptop was to import one, now I guess I can get one from India. I think I'll buy core i7 5000MQ(Broadwell) and Nvidia GTX 980m next. :D

Top Bottom