MSI Brand Gaming Laptops: Are they good?

rhyansy

MSI Gaming Pan India Sale
Hello everyone! Just wondering how techie people think about MSI, manufacturer of Mobo, GPU, gaming laptops and other related electronic products. How are their gaming laptops, especially the GS70, a slim type gaming laptop?

AbhMkh

Ambassador of Buzz
What he(seamon) said and just be beware of a few MSI models like the GX70, this particular model combines a an AMD 5750M Cpu with a AMD 8970M GPU.

The GPU while being very very very very powerful will be of no use due to the excessively weak CPU(very severe bottleneck), such models are a total waste of money hence should be avoided

OP
rhyansy

rhyansy

MSI laptops are awesome except they don't have any services in India.

MSI actually have an After Sales Service with SmartLink Networks. It's kind of weird why most people don't know about this.
SMARTLINK NETWORK SYSTEMS LIMITED
418/428, 4th Floor, Plaza-II,
Lilaram Market,Maszid Mode,
Sauthex Part-II,New Delhi-110049, India
Tel : 011 26261178

- - - Updated - - -

What he(seamon) said and just be beware of a few MSI models like the GX70, this particular model combines a an AMD 5750M Cpu with a AMD 8970M GPU.

The GPU while being very very very very powerful will be of no use due to the excessively weak CPU(very severe bottleneck), such models are a total waste of money hence should be avoided

Can you elaborate more on this? Any reviews or links to justify this issue? To what I know, AMD has this mantle technology to synergize both CPU and GPU.

AbhMkh

Ambassador of Buzz
MSI actually have an After Sales Service with SmartLink Networks. It's kind of weird why most people don't know about this.
SMARTLINK NETWORK SYSTEMS LIMITED
418/428, 4th Floor, Plaza-II,
Lilaram Market,Maszid Mode,
Sauthex Part-II,New Delhi-110049, India
Tel : 011 26261178

- - - Updated - - -

Can you elaborate more on this? Any reviews or links to justify this issue? To what I know, AMD has this mantle technology to synergize both CPU and GPU.

Review MSI GX70H-A108972811B Notebook - NotebookCheck.net Reviews

MSI GX70 Review

Yes Amd does have mantle api for games which will improve performance in games for weak processors but it isn't supported Amd mobile GPU's yet

seamon

Superhuman Spambot
Hello everyone! Just wondering how techie people think about MSI, manufacturer of Mobo, GPU, gaming laptops and other related electronic products. How are their gaming laptops, especially the GS70, a slim type gaming laptop?

Are you actually from MSI itself? Found you at Tech enclave.

OP
rhyansy

rhyansy

Are you actually from MSI itself? Found you at Tech enclave.

Yes, I am verified in my profile. We're trying to hear as much feedback as possible for the re-launch of MSI gaming laptops in India. But of course, it has to be in our capacity too. We practically are like a boutique gaming company compared to those big boys. So hopefully, we can provide the expectations halfway.

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
It would be great if MSI gives comparable configs to the international launches at comparable prices. (unlike Alienware with shitty Indian pricing)

AbhMkh

Ambassador of Buzz
Yes, I am verified in my profile. We're trying to hear as much feedback as possible for the re-launch of MSI gaming laptops in India. But of course, it has to be in our capacity too. We practically are like a boutique gaming company compared to those big boys. So hopefully, we can provide the expectations halfway.

What kind of laptops will MSI be launching here ?

We actually have a terrible shortage of proper gaming laptops here in the price range of 1000-1500 $ ( 60-90k ₹).

Does MSI have any plans to launch something in that range ?

Also we would like to see some lower high range graphic cards like the AMD Radeon 8870M because none of the manufacturers offer such hardware

seamon

Superhuman Spambot
This is what rhyansy told me:
Hi Seamon!
We have plans to re-launch this year, with GT70 and GE60 as the first 2 models.
We don't have exact dates yet. SO hopefully, it will push through in Q2.
Hope this helps.
We're offering GTX880M and GTX870M for the disty. As for CPU, it's i7-4810M, extreme is too expensive for the market.

- - - Updated - - -

Edit: removed non relevant stuff. Imo this is huge for gaming laptops in India.

Last edited:

AbhMkh

Ambassador of Buzz
Hi Seamon!
Hope this helps.
We're offering GTX880M and GTX870M for the disty. As for CPU, it's i7-4810M, extreme is too expensive for the market.

- - - Updated - - -

Did he happen to mention which ge60 model and how much for ?

If its anywhere near 60-70k, I am going to bang my head on the wall for buying a Dell lapto

Damn ! , too bad MSI sells only full Amd hardware(including those useless proccys), I would love to see an Intel Core I7 4700HQ/4800MQ with that UBER POWERFUL Amd 8970M.

- - - Updated - - -

Hi Seamon!
Hope this helps.

- - - Updated - - -

If its anywhere near 60-70k, I am going to bang my head on the wall for buying a Dell lapto

Damn ! , too bad MSI sells only full Amd hardware(including those useless proccys), I would love to see an Intel Core I7 4700HQ/4800MQ with that UBER POWERFUL Amd 8970M.

seamon

Superhuman Spambot

I advised him to include an Intel 4702MQ(cheaper than 4700MQ) and GTX 860m below 75k, let's see how he replies.
Also he said GT series which has GTX 870m will cost above 1 lakh. That's justifiable considering ASUS sold G750JX with GTX 770m @ 1lakh 50k

- - - Updated - - -

Update:These guys are serious about launching gaming laptops at a low price.
They are considering pairing core i7 4710QM with GTX 860M. That's pretty solid.
Chat with rhyansy directly here:
*www.facebook.com/MsiIndiaClub

AbhMkh

Ambassador of Buzz
I advised him to include an Intel 4702MQ(cheaper than 4700MQ) and GTX 860m below 75k, let's see how he replies.
Also he said GT series which has GTX 870m will cost above 1 lakh. That's justifiable considering ASUS sold G750JX with GTX 770m @ 1lakh 50k

- - - Updated - - -

Update:These guys are serious about launching gaming laptops at a low price.
They are considering pairing core i7 4710QM with GTX 860M. That's pretty solid.
Chat with rhyansy directly here:
*www.facebook.com/MsiIndiaClub

Processors with suffix M are mainstream processors and those with a suffix H are the high performance ones.

seamon

Superhuman Spambot
Processors with suffix M are mainstream processors and those with a suffix H are the high performance ones.

WRONG!!
Just another marketing gimmick. Go ahead and check that the benchmarks of 4700MQ and 4700HQ are same. The difference? 4700HQ is permanently soldered to the board whereas 4700MQ is not. 4700MQ can be user replaced with a more powerful CPU while the 4700HQ cannot be.

AbhMkh

Ambassador of Buzz
WRONG!!
Just another marketing gimmick. Go ahead and check that the benchmarks of 4700MQ and 4700HQ are same. The difference? 4700HQ is permanently soldered to the board whereas 4700MQ is not. 4700MQ can be user replaced with a more powerful CPU while the 4700HQ cannot be.
Was talking about broadwell

Here Is the Most Complete Intel Broadwell CPU Info Yet - Softpedia News for Mobile

And yes there is a minor difference between 4700mq and 4700hq, the first one can clock upto 3.43 ghz on TB where as the 2nd one can do 3.6 ghz(there is also a minor difference in the IGPU clockspeeds)

seamon

Superhuman Spambot
Was talking about broadwell

Here Is the Most Complete Intel Broadwell CPU Info Yet - Softpedia News for Mobile

And yes there is a minor difference between 4700mq and 4700hq, the first one can clock upto 3.43 ghz on TB where as the 2nd one can do 3.6 ghz(there is also a minor difference in the IGPU clockspeeds)

Wrong again.
Both proccy's turbo boost only upto 3.4Ghz but on OCing do they reach the frequencies you mentioned. It's a very bad idea to OC Haswell because as if they run so hot. You don't wanna fry your mobo do you?
Nobody cares about IGPU because with this proccy a dGPU is always present.

OP
rhyansy

rhyansy

Yes, this is MSI rep right here. As mentioned already by Seamon, we are planning to bring in GT70 2PE (GTX880M) / PC (GTX870M) and GE60 2PE (GTX860M) /PC (GTX850M). It really all depends on the channel partners we're in nego with. As techie people here knows that difference of premium gaming laptops we're offering, with so many gaming features not present vs competitors, like Steelseries KB + SSE, Danish Dynaudio sounds, Super Raid, Cooler Boost, Matrix Display, Gamecaster, and many more, our pricing internationally, and which will be offered in India will be relatively the same.

As for Intel + AMD graphics combination, as of now, we still don't have plans for this. (Might be political issue with those companies.)

Just keep up the discussion and I will help update everyone here about more information, or better yet, follow us at: *www.facebook.com/MsiIndiaClub

AbhMkh

Ambassador of Buzz
Wrong again.
Both proccy's turbo boost only upto 3.4Ghz but on OCing do they reach the frequencies you mentioned. It's a very bad idea to OC Haswell because as if they run so hot. You don't wanna fry your mobo do you?
Nobody cares about IGPU because with this proccy a dGPU is always present.

I would recommend to do some research before you post stuff .

As I said in my earlier post the 4700mq can be MANUALLY overclocked to 3.4 ghz.Which is just 200mhz more than the stock turbo, the increase in temperature wont be much and an efficient cooling system of a gaming laptop like the MSI GT70 would be good enough to mitigate the effect.(cannot say the same for a normal laptop like the Y510p etc)

i7-4700mq overclock? I heard it can be OC'd with intel extreme tuning utiliy, by how much? anybody? help?

According to the above thread, a 3.4 ghz 4700mq runs at 85 degrees, which is a lot less than it takes to fry the motherboard !

Also if you notice this

Intel Core i7 4700HQ Notebook Processor - NotebookCheck.net Tech

And this

Intel Core i7 4700MQ Notebook Processor - NotebookCheck.net Tech

And navigate to the CINEBENCH R 11.5 BENCHMARK SECTION you will notice that the 4700HQ SCORES ABOVE 6 POINTS IN EVERY LAPTOP IT IS TESTED WITH whereas 4700MQ SCORES BELOW 6 AND AS LOW AS 5.22 POINTS IN A FEW LAPTOPS.

SO much for having the same performance !.

- - - Updated - - -

Yes, this is MSI rep right here. As mentioned already by Seamon, we are planning to bring in GT70 2PE (GTX880M) / PC (GTX870M) and GE60 2PE (GTX860M) /PC (GTX850M). It really all depends on the channel partners we're in nego with. As techie people here knows that difference of premium gaming laptops we're offering, with so many gaming features not present vs competitors, like Steelseries KB + SSE, Danish Dynaudio sounds, Super Raid, Cooler Boost, Matrix Display, Gamecaster, and many more, our pricing internationally, and which will be offered in India will be relatively the same.

As for Intel + AMD graphics combination, as of now, we still don't have plans for this. (Might be political issue with those companies.)

Just keep up the discussion and I will help update everyone here about more information, or better yet, follow us at: *www.facebook.com/MsiIndiaClub

Any plans for launching the all AMD laptops ?(GX 60,70 ?)

Also will the prices be a direct dollar to rupee equivalent or will they be more in India ?

Last edited:

seamon

Superhuman Spambot
NONSENSE ! I would recommend to do some research before you post stuff .

As I said in my earlier post the 4700mq can be MANUALLY overclocked to 3.4 ghz.Which is just 200mhz more than the stock turbo, the increase in temperature wont be much and an efficient cooling system of a gaming laptop like the MSI GT70 would be good enough to mitigate the effect.(cannot say the same for a normal laptop like the Y510p etc)

i7-4700mq overclock? I heard it can be OC'd with intel extreme tuning utiliy, by how much? anybody? help?

According to the above thread, a 3.4 ghz 4700mq runs at 85 degrees, which is a lot less than it takes to fry the motherboard !

Also if you notice this

Intel Core i7 4700HQ Notebook Processor - NotebookCheck.net Tech

And this

Intel Core i7 4700MQ Notebook Processor - NotebookCheck.net Tech

And navigate to the CINEBENCH R 11.5 BENCHMARK SECTION you will notice that the 4700HQ SCORES ABOVE 6 POINTS IN EVERY LAPTOP IT IS TESTED WITH whereas 4700MQ SCORES BELOW 6 AND AS LOW AS 5.22 POINTS IN A FEW LAPTOPS.

SO much for having the same performance !.

- - - Updated - - -

Any plans for launching the all AMD laptops ?(GX 60,70 ?)

Also will the prices be a direct dollar to rupee equivalent or will they be more in India ?

LOL noob.

3.4 Ghz is the NORMAL Turbo boost of the core i7 4700MQ and core i7 4700HQ. Overclocking above this leads to high temps.

Intel Core i7 4700MQ vs 4700HQ

Some more benchmarks. In some core i7 4700MQ performs better while in others core i7 4700HQ performs better. Just so you know, every computer is different and there are major differences between even same models.
According to your benchmarks, the max for both are the same. The low results of some core i7 4700MQ are due to thermal bottlenecking. In some of other benchmarks core i7 4700MQ wins whereas in others 4700HQ wins by 0.5-1%. This much is acceptable between even same proccys.
So much for trying to prove me wrong. *sigh*. Try not to be so self-righteous, be humble and post with an open-mind.

core i7 HQ is the better proccy only when both are overclocked using expensive Thermal pastes and additional copper heatsinks but in real world usage both processors give the same performance.
core i7 4700MQ overheats without OC in Y510p. These proccys won't overheat 17 inchers but OCing them definitely will. Besides both of them are very powerful and don't need overclocking.
Overall imo core i7 4700MQ is still better as this one is not soldered to the mobo and can be upgraded later if need be.

Top Bottom