MSI Brand Gaming Laptops: Are they good?

OP
rhyansy

rhyansy

MSI Gaming Pan India Sale
I think the 3k one will cost a lot. At least more than 1 lakh 40k if rest of the config is set to minimum.

Yes, for LCD, it's FHD, but 2K resolution and anti-glare. Going up to 3K is a big upgrade and as of now, even in developed countries, acceptance is still not that high because the cost is still a bit steep. Hope this solves the case for screen resolution.

- - - Updated - - -

[MENTION=277192]rhyansy[/MENTION] what about pricing? will it be cheaper than say alienware or other overpriced brands and will there be customisation options like how USA laptop sites have?the timing is just perfect , i was looking for a laptop to replace one of my beasts who gave in last week and MSI would be a no brainer for me if its cheap ,gives customisation and after sales warranty etc

Hi there! MSI's pricing will be relative to those given in other countries, taking in considerations taxes and shipping costs.

As for customization, we do offer a whole lot of range of gaming laptops configuration for most people's needs, but as of now, we do not have customization offerings yet, if this means built-to-order type gaming laptops. Actually, may I ask how customizable is customizable?

As for after sales, we have SmartLink as the third party service provider, which covers almost the whole country. BUT we aim to improve it to make it on call so people can reach us efficiently. It's the lack of accountability that doomed us before in this segment. Give give your feedback regarding this matter and we're very happy to listen.

seamon

Superhuman Spambot
Yes, for LCD, it's FHD, but 2K resolution and anti-glare. Going up to 3K is a big upgrade and as of now, even in developed countries, acceptance is still not that high because the cost is still a bit steep. Hope this solves the case for screen resolution.

- - - Updated - - -

Hi there! MSI's pricing will be relative to those given in other countries, taking in considerations taxes and shipping costs.

As for customization, we do offer a whole lot of range of gaming laptops configuration for most people's needs, but as of now, we do not have customization offerings yet, if this means built-to-order type gaming laptops. Actually, may I ask how customizable is customizable?

As for after sales, we have SmartLink as the third party service provider, which covers almost the whole country. BUT we aim to improve it to make it on call so people can reach us efficiently. It's the lack of accountability that doomed us before in this segment. Give give your feedback regarding this matter and we're very happy to listen.

IMO customizable laptops have:

choice of:
1.CPU
2.GPU
3.RAM
4.Blu ray drive/DVD drive/HDD/SSD on bay.
5.HDD/SSD
6.msata SSD
7.Glossy/Matte display

The should(not necessarily) have choice of:
1. Wifi card(Killer and Intel Ultimate ones).
2. Thermal Paste(Arctic Silver V or IC Diamond)

kkn13

Cyber Genius FTW

- - - Updated - - -

hey thanks for ur reply, customisation as in what [MENTION=248727]seamon[/MENTION] mentioned in the previous post + maybe smaller add ons like backlit keyboard,choice of type of keyboard(chiclet or full size with number pad) and battery(6-cell or 9-cell)
though even MSI 's default configs sound superior to other laptops available here at the moment,customisation would be an excellent feature as well
hope to see more MSI in India!(i have a few MSI motherboards in 2-3 of my desktops already,oldest being 8-9years old and still a solid system :) )

seamon

Superhuman Spambot
hey thanks for ur reply, customisation as in what [MENTION=248727]seamon[/MENTION] mentioned in the previous post + maybe smaller add ons like backlit keyboard,choice of type of keyboard(chiclet or full size with number pad) and battery(6-cell or 9-cell)
though even MSI 's default configs sound superior to other laptops available here at the moment,customisation would be an excellent feature as well
hope to see more MSI in India!(i have a few MSI motherboards in 2-3 of my desktops already,oldest being 8-9years old and still a solid system :) )

All MSI laptops have custom backlighting. Their Kbs are steelseries ones.

falcongamer

Broken In
So [MENTION=277192]rhyansy[/MENTION] , any update on the release dates? I'm more interested in a ~75k model, with FHD and maybe a 850M or 860M. A model at this price range would be very popular I bet.

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
Also, an option to buy an OS less config would be good, provided the difference in pricing is significant to the customer. (I hate windows 8)

OP
rhyansy

rhyansy

IMO customizable laptops have:

choice of:
1.CPU
2.GPU
3.RAM
4.Blu ray drive/DVD drive/HDD/SSD on bay.
5.HDD/SSD
6.msata SSD
7.Glossy/Matte display

The should(not necessarily) have choice of:
1. Wifi card(Killer and Intel Ultimate ones).
2. Thermal Paste(Arctic Silver V or IC Diamond)

As mentioned earlier about the release of GT and GE series, it covers a full range of specs even though it's not fully customizable.

(1) CPU --- All MSI gaming laptops that will be released in the future are i7-4710MQ/HQ. (A gaming laptop must have the best processor, no questions, no customization needed.)
(2) GPU --- this is customizable in a sense in which you can choose which model at once (body of laptop, either GT or GE) GT covers high-end GPUs in GTX880M/GTX870M and GE covers GTX860M/GTX850M.
(3) RAM --- customizable. MSI will offer basic 8GB of RAM, upgrades can be up to 32GB for GT and 16GB for GE.
(4) ODD --- Not customizable. They come prebuilt to the lappy. And who needs one in this day and age!
(5) HDD --- customizable. MSI will offer basic 1TB of memory, upgrades up to Super Raid 2 384GB SSD for GT and Super Raid 256GB SSD for GE.
(6) LCD --- Not customizable. It's not recommended to have this option at all.

So that wraps it up! It should be fine this way. We can cater to everyone's needs.

- - - Updated - - -

So [MENTION=277192]rhyansy[/MENTION] , any update on the release dates? I'm more interested in a ~75k model, with FHD and maybe a 850M or 860M. A model at this price range would be very popular I bet.

No updates yet on official release dates. BUT pricing will be relative to other countries, taking in consideration taxes and shipping costs.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, an option to buy an OS less config would be good, provided the difference in pricing is significant to the customer. (I hate windows 8)

We can offer all lappys as free DOS. This is no biggie.

geek_rocker

Broken In

Came here to say this. I would like a Windows 7 pre-installed or a No OS/Linux option. The best Laptop I could find without the mess that is Windows 8 was the HP Pavillion 15-n204tx and I was about to buy it but then I saw there were no Windows 7 drivers provided by HP. :/

So please consider releasing a No OS/ Windows 7 pre-installed laptop and do provide the drivers for Windows 7 in case of the former.

AbhMkh

Ambassador of Buzz
As mentioned earlier about the release of GT and GE series, it covers a full range of specs even though it's not fully customizable.

(1) CPU --- All MSI gaming laptops that will be released in the future are i7-4710MQ/HQ. (A gaming laptop must have the best processor, no questions, no customization needed.)
(2) GPU --- this is customizable in a sense in which you can choose which model at once (body of laptop, either GT or GE) GT covers high-end GPUs in GTX880M/GTX870M and GE covers GTX860M/GTX850M.
(3) RAM --- customizable. MSI will offer basic 8GB of RAM, upgrades can be up to 32GB for GT and 16GB for GE.
(4) ODD --- Not customizable. They come prebuilt to the lappy. And who needs one in this day and age!
(5) HDD --- customizable. MSI will offer basic 1TB of memory, upgrades up to Super Raid 2 384GB SSD for GT and Super Raid 256GB SSD for GE.
(6) LCD --- Not customizable. It's not recommended to have this option at all.

So that wraps it up! It should be fine this way. We can cater to everyone's needs.

- - - Updated - - -

No updates yet on official release dates. BUT pricing will be relative to other countries, taking in consideration taxes and shipping costs.

- - - Updated - - -

We can offer all lappys as free DOS. This is no biggie.

I am not sure what the case is with MSI laptops being sold in other countries but can we get laptops with an unlocked BIOS here in India to facilitate overclocking.I know there are various concerns about overheating and damage to components at the hand of rookies who would then come and claim warranty but if since none of the OEM's give an unlocked BIOS, this can be a plus point for MSI which is trying to establish itself as a gaming laptop brand.

I would also like to recommend a superfast dual core from intel's stables like the I7-4600M as one of the processor option(reducing the price accordingly).According to notebookcheck

Right now, the Core i7-4600M is Intel's most powerful mobile dual-core processor. Its clock speed of 3 GHz can be boosted to 3.6 GHz for both cores or 3.7 GHz for just one core, if necessary. "When compared to quad-core Core i7 CPUs, every single core is decidedly more powerful due to the higher clock speed. Only when all cores are required for a certain task can quad-core CPUs outpace their higher-clocked dual-core counterparts."

So this dual core shouldn't have any problem in handling those high end GPU's while keeping the overall price below a quad core equipped system.

Cheers!
Abhijit

OP
rhyansy

rhyansy

Came here to say this. I would like a Windows 7 pre-installed or a No OS/Linux option. The best Laptop I could find without the mess that is Windows 8 was the HP Pavillion 15-n204tx and I was about to buy it but then I saw there were no Windows 7 drivers provided by HP. :/

So please consider releasing a No OS/ Windows 7 pre-installed laptop and do provide the drivers for Windows 7 in case of the former.

Win8.1 will be the staple soon as there are rumors that MS is cutting off support for Win7 soon, soon meaning it might happen this year or the next. As of now, All MSI gaming laptop can support Win7, with the drivers constantly being updated by our techies.

- - - Updated - - -

I am not sure what the case is with MSI laptops being sold in other countries but can we get laptops with an unlocked BIOS here in India to facilitate overclocking.I know there are various concerns about overheating and damage to components at the hand of rookies who would then come and claim warranty but if since none of the OEM's give an unlocked BIOS, this can be a plus point for MSI which is trying to establish itself as a gaming laptop brand.

I would also like to recommend a superfast dual core from intel's stables like the I7-4600M as one of the processor option(reducing the price accordingly).According to notebookcheck

Right now, the Core i7-4600M is Intel's most powerful mobile dual-core processor. Its clock speed of 3 GHz can be boosted to 3.6 GHz for both cores or 3.7 GHz for just one core, if necessary. "When compared to quad-core Core i7 CPUs, every single core is decidedly more powerful due to the higher clock speed. Only when all cores are required for a certain task can quad-core CPUs outpace their higher-clocked dual-core counterparts."

So this dual core shouldn't have any problem in handling those high end GPU's while keeping the overall price below a quad core equipped system.

Cheers!
Abhijit

Thank you for the comment, but as much as we like to have customization in CPU level, it is MSI management's decision to choose (1) type to have the economies of scale and efficiency to produce the best gaming laptop configuration. i7-4710HQ/MQ is the one chosen as it is proven in development markets that it is what most gamers want.

As for unlocked BIOS, you did made the point that it's not provided because it posses so much issues and not many people can even do overclocking now, only a few really hardcore techies have this need.

seamon

Superhuman Spambot
Win8.1 will be the staple soon as there are rumors that MS is cutting off support for Win7 soon, soon meaning it might happen this year or the next. As of now, All MSI gaming laptop can support Win7, with the drivers constantly being updated by our techies.

- - - Updated - - -

Thank you for the comment, but as much as we like to have customization in CPU level, it is MSI management's decision to choose (1) type to have the economies of scale and efficiency to produce the best gaming laptop configuration. i7-4710HQ/MQ is the one chosen as it is proven in development markets that it is what most gamers want.

As for unlocked BIOS, you did made the point that it's not provided because it posses so much issues and not many people can even do overclocking now, only a few really hardcore techies have this need.

Good decisions.
I doubt anyone will buy a dual core CPU in this day and age.
When left in the hands of an amateur, unlocked bios means trouble. One can easily mess up the system.

falcongamer

Broken In
Oh, forgot one thing to ask, [MENTION=277192]rhyansy[/MENTION]
What about warranty? Will it be International. Will you guys be offering warranty extension packages?

OP
rhyansy

rhyansy

Oh, forgot one thing to ask, <!-- BEGIN TEMPLATE: dbtech_usertag_mention -->
@<a href="*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/member.php?u=277192" target="_blank">rhyansy</a>
<!-- END TEMPLATE: dbtech_usertag_mention -->
What about warranty? Will it be International. Will you guys be offering warranty extension packages?

International warranty for (2) years for gaming laptops! This is double the industry standard! For warranty extension, must honestly say, we have to make a deal first with local channel partners to make the first baby step to have all these services right?

- - - Updated - - -

Here is a new promotional video from MSI India to get to know more about the whole range of gaming laptops that can be available in India soon. Enjoy everyone!

Top Bottom