Movies Discussion Thread V1: Ratings and Opinions

Ethan_Hunt

Aspiring Novelist
Case 39 - Glad I picked this movie for tonight. The movie started out a bit slow, but when the plot actually started it's revelation, it became really interesting. Excellent acting by Jodelle Ferland & Renée Zellweger. It was way better than The Box. Recommended for people who like thrillers.

quan chi

mortal kombat
Case 39 - Glad I picked this movie for tonight. The movie started out a bit slow, but when the plot actually started it's revelation, it became really interesting. Excellent acting by Jodelle Ferland & Renée Zellweger. It was way better than The Box. Recommended for people who like thrillers.

Yep as i had mentioned earlier its a wonderful movie.well i dont know why you felt the start was slow i didnt found anything of that sort.

you can also say kinda psycological thriller. Which has been made quite well.

a_medico

Chillum Baba
Green Zone - Tight script and gripping. But personally Hurt Locker and The Kingdom are my better bets.

@ Case 39 - Nice song too at the end of the movie.

Ethan_Hunt

Aspiring Novelist
Yep as i had mentioned earlier its a wonderful movie.well i dont know why you felt the start was slow i didnt found anything of that sort.

you can also say kinda psycological thriller. Which has been made quite well.
The start to me was slow because nothing interesting was really happening in terms of plot development. But after 30-40 minutes or so, I began to realise what the true situation was and that's when the real thriller part started. I had this movie for quite sometime now, but figured I would watch it last night as I had to choose between this or a classic horror The House of the Devil. So chose this. Not a bad choice at all. :smile:

a_medico said:
@ Case 39 - Nice song too at the end of the movie.
The credits song? Army of Angels?

metalfan

Modern Philosopher
Iron Maiden Flight 666 a must watch for any heavy metal fan
for continuation also watch 1985 original slavery tour then u will come to know that Iron maiden is still thesame after 20+ years

rhitwick

Democracy is a myth
Monster 5.7/10

Seriously I found this movie pathetic. Why? Coming to that later.

So Charlize Theron (Leen) is a hooker. Like the leading lady in "Chasing Amy" she has tried everything for same reason. She has not found love anywhere and was on the way of committing suicide. Then she meets this pretty teen Selby. Selby falls in love with her (Selby is lesbi you come to know here).

Finding love even from a most un-imagined source Leen also reciprocates her love to Selby. The the story starts. She manages to elope (?) with Selby. To earn money for keeping her new found love she takes the way of a serial killer (Lots of drama here, why she took that path). Then....well most of you might have got where it is heading. But they say its based on a true story, so even if its cliche they have an excuse for it.

Now why I hated it.
-Acting of Charlize Theron. Ummm...have you seen "Mr. Ya Miss" starring Antra Mali? Do you remember her body language throughout the movie? Well now tone it down to 2-3 levels but keep the basic things same. Eb. shaking head, walking leaning to a side and making WTH! faces. This is how Charlize acted the whole movie. It was a pain in eyes to see act her like that.
And, if I'm not Wrong, she was given a false par of teeth just to make her face a bit more square look.

Every body language her tells that either she is very much influenced by Men or somehow trying to imitate them? Now what is the reason for this? Just to show that in the lesbi relationship she is the "man"? Well either I could not get the reason or purpose phailed

-Dialogs. Most cliched dialogs which you have already heard (even in hindi movies) well may not be from a lady's mouth but you have sure heard.

-Now acting such sh1t she got an Oscar for this movie :shock::shock::shock: Total WTF

Why still in "Must watch..." thread? Well, I thought may be some of here may like to try it... :rolleyes:

a_medico

Chillum Baba
^^^ Watched it long back. Didn't like it then. The only adorable thing in this movie was the song Where do I begin by Chemical Brothers. The song also features in Vanilla Sky soundtrack.

a_medico

Chillum Baba
In Bruges - Watched it again. Has me in splits each time I watch this movie or some scene from it. Will be watching Six Shooter, an oscar winning short film by the same director.

Ken: Coming up?
Ray: What's up there?
Ken: The view.
Ray: The view of what? The view of down here? I can see that down here.
Ken: Ray, you are about the worst tourist in the whole world.
Ray: Ken, I grew up in Dublin. I love Dublin. If I grew up on a farm, and was retarded, Bruges might impress me but I didn't, so it doesn't.

lolllll

P.S.-But movies like In Bruges can be recommended only on forum like these where you have few serious movie fans. I mean, if I recommend this movie to my friends, I will be called a fool after they watch it :)

Ethan_Hunt

Aspiring Novelist
See No Evil, Hear No Evil - Loved it. Thank you Sam for this recommendation. I knew 80's comedy would never let me down. I'm now picking up Stir Crazy from one of the recommendations on IMDB boards. It's got the same Gene Wilder and Richard Pryor combination. ;-)

rhitwick

Democracy is a myth
Case 39 7/10

Nice thriller. Took time to settle down but the delay is justified. When the events started it was very interesting and after the revelation things were not that surprising. Ending seems to be a bit dragged. Why not end the movie after the fire scene. Just show a frame of the burning house and next frame both of them standing in front of it with hand in hand. Then cut!

But let me tell you if you can get rid of the critic inside you then it is a very gripping story. Wonderful acting by both the leads.

Then comes the part when I tell you what this movie really is. Its predictable. While watching I was thinking where did all these I've seen before, and I just remembered the name, its "The Omen". Yes, "Case 39" matches with it in main theme and other things.
I just can't remember Where all these murder theme I've seen before. None but "Scarecrow" comes to mind but I'm dead sure there are movies with same style of killing people.
Then the lead actress. She was in "Bridget Jones's Diary" and while watching, the movie just kept on flashing in my mind. I did not like her there and could not like her here too.

Last edited:

a_medico

Chillum Baba
^^ She was good in Cold Mountain.

Was just going thro the latest Horrorfest4 movies. Dread, Lake Mungo and Hidden seem interesting.

I have seen Dread couple of months back and I think I posted my views. This movie was awesome provided you can digest gore. It touched new heights in gore! But interesting concept. Its not your usual slash movie. Its different. Definitely worth a try.

Six Shooter - Hehehe... its a 27 minute short movie. Its by the director of In Bruges. The character in the movie is similar to Collin Farell in In Bruges. Some nice dark humor. Nothing great, but just 27 minutes are worth a try ;)

a_medico

Chillum Baba
Lake Mungo - A mixture of Paranormal Activity and Blair Witch Project. Its a psychological thriller which leaves its interpretation to us. But even people on imdb and elsewhere on the internet seem lost interpreting this movie! So am I.

Ethan_Hunt

Aspiring Novelist
I have seen Dread couple of months back and I think I posted my views. This movie was awesome provided you can digest gore. It touched new heights in gore! But interesting concept. Its not your usual slash movie. Its different. Definitely worth a try.
Seems interesting and my kind of movie. Picking it up later tonight. I'll check those Horrorfest movies as well. Thanks!

sam9s said:
Welcome allwy, I completed all 4 movies of the duo and frankly speaking See no evil dispite of lesser rating landed best for me. The interrogation scene at the begining was too funny.

For me See no evil>silver streak>stir crazy
Got all of them. The interrogation scene was indeed hilarious, especially when Wilder says "Fuzzy Wuzzy was a woman?" Then the photo scene was also hilarious.

Top Bottom