Movies Discussion Thread V1: Ratings and Opinions

ratedrsuperstar

The Sexy Beast
^ i'm glad you noticed my rating amidst all the geeky sci-fi movie discussion

btw i'm thinking of starting another "Must watch films for avant garde fans" thread.coz this one has too much of mainstream movies in it

Krow

Crowman
Matrix Revolutions: Must watch in HD. Compare to Matrix and the movie is nothing. For more of mindless action and VFX, brilliant film. Other than the end of the last Smith vs Neo fight, not much made sense in the whole film. Watch for action, not for philosophy.

K-Pax: Brilliant film. A definite must watch! I really like these movies which make me think. I would say that this is equal to The Man from Earth. Thumbs up to all those who mentioned this in the thread.

ratedrsuperstar

The Sexy Beast
Karthik calling Karthik 1.25/5

must be renamed to corny calling corny.the music may be the only palatable corny thing here.everything else pretty much is wasteful and floating on evident plagiarism.you almost end up at a point where you'd be tearing your hair off more than the protagonist.Avoid this one.complete phail

ps - if you want to see deepika,go for their promotional events.thats free innit?

Ethan_Hunt

Aspiring Novelist
The Blind Side - Decent movie, but am still not sure why Sandra Bullock won an Oscar for her role? Was it really that good? Is it just me or has Oscar awards choice gone down over the years?

ratedrsuperstar

The Sexy Beast
The Counterfeiters 4/5

the movie highlights possibly the reason of germany's fall in WWII.gripping performances by the actors to potray the emotions of betraying their motherland and their community at the same time.a great watch

ratedrsuperstar

The Sexy Beast
They used to be good in the 90's when at least some credit was given where it was due.

imo the old days arent criticized only because the indie gems then never reached the worldwide audience due to the lack of the internet.i honestly believe that the old "classics" may just be rip-offs of non-mainstream ideas by the working class people

quan chi

mortal kombat
Is it just me or has Oscar awards choice gone down over the years

nope its not just you. everything has went down.even the oscars were not spared.

thats why i dont have any interest on these irrational awards i just watch a movie if its good or different and appreciate any actor's acting if it was good.thats it nothing more.

mrbean

Right off the assembly line
please friends don't watch this film - the breakfast club - very senseless film. better to watch three idiots

james347

Broken In
I think recently launched movie "Athithi Tum Kab Jaoge" is good movie which has good comedy.. its worth watching....

ratedrsuperstar

The Sexy Beast
^troll alert

Lost in Translation 3.75/5
I think i had previously rated the movie.but nonetheless, watched it yest.although SJ's character's story may seem unrealistic; the emotion of loneliness portrayed by both actors is of a very true real human nature.the director manages to stay focused almost throughout.

Precious 3/5

Overhyped is the word here.sure its good.but the director cannot justify the fictional torture and expect sympathy.too many out of context scenes and too many childish acts to get noticed.

LSD 2.5/5

So i went this afternoon to show my support to a "hatke" film.if only i knew this was produced by ekta kapoor and wasnt a indie film entirely.like precious, this is in your face drama.I disagree with the director on how he shows the various characters.true, that our country has a new breed of dumb filmy mtv-generation outgrown kids.but surely a "hatke" film shouldnt be showing idiots to empathize.

Last edited:

Ethan_Hunt

Aspiring Novelist
Saving Private Ryan and The Lord of The Rings trilogy are now out on Blu-Ray. About f*ckin' time, had about enough with the stupid HDTV version. :grin:

tgpraveen

Simpsons rox
I liked Pandorum very much :D Though may be because I prefer sci-fi with abandoned airships etc gobbledygook ;D

IMHO the movie was nicely executed. It reminded me of Alien, Event Horizon and Sunshine.

I too love these type of space ship type abandoned type of movies.
pls recommend them someone.
i have seen

Event horizon
sphere
sunshine
pandorum

MORE?

rhitwick

Democracy is a myth
LSD 2.5/5

So i went this afternoon to show my support to a "hatke" film.if only i knew this was produced by ekta kapoor and wasnt a indie film entirely.like precious, this is in your face drama.I disagree with the director on how he shows the various characters.true, that our country has a new breed of dumb filmy mtv-generation outgrown kids.but surely a "hatke" film shouldnt be showing idiots to empathize.

I didn't get u???

ratedrsuperstar

The Sexy Beast
*spoilers*

well in the first story.we're shown two childish filmy kids getting killed over what seemed to be nothing but infatuation or immature love.

In the second,we're shown the story of two idiot guys trying to make a quick buck for their useless life by using a desperate girl.

In the final story, we're shown a mix of the couch potato+a sting of the sting operations department(perfect rejected plot of madhur bhandarkar i'd say)

what really got to me was the dialogues between all of the actors.a director should not waste his talent on such characters.sorry but if someone shows two retarded people getting killed on the road as an example of road rage, i'd say wtf has anyone to learn from it? was there a moral for the common man? the only one i could think of was DON'T BE MTV-STUPID

although this is for another time; i feel our country is aping USA without having many intellectuals to redeem or nullify the stupidity of the majority :mad:

Last edited:

rhitwick

Democracy is a myth
@ratedsuperstar,

I guess all the stories shown there seemed to be "only" story to you...that is why u did not like them

First lok at thge cinematography, is it linear, is it arty, is it even having a good angle. No its not. The cam here supposed to be a tool (not the eye of audience) or medium by which u r getting to know about these incidents.

They call these type of movies piece-of-life movies. They need not have any conclusion, abstract is what they always are and should. Any day of ur life does not always have a moral, not a story may not even be happening.

Tell me do u expect a message or even a conclusion from a David Lynch movie...take the example of REC, Cloverfield, BWT etc. they did never try to give a message or moral. All those are incidents of a day or mixed days.

IMO, Dibakar here did a very good job, satisfied me with abstract and haphazard screenplay...kudos to him for trying this desperate job.

b/w, apart from last story which again is mix of two topics (casting couch and sting operation) other two incidents are inspired by true stories.
First one is inspired by "Nitish Katara" murder case and second one was hugely popular MMS kinda 5-6 yrs back. (I've seen dat)

ratedrsuperstar

The Sexy Beast
^c'mon where's the ambiguity of cinema when the camera captures everything!!(either perfect video or audio) i hated that the stories were spoon-fed.any "arty" film leaves so much for the viewer to decipher.also the fact that this didnt bring anything new to the handy-cam movie genre.

whoever called cloverfield or BWP great movies? but i'll admit cloverfield had enough intelligent screenplay to keep the audience interested.

i dont care if this was based on real life events.you shouldnt make a film on dumb people/events only because they made headlines for 10days on news channels.

i appreciated the director's effort and some attention to detail but if you're making this for a niche segment of film lovers,this just doesnt cut it.i rated it average coz i appreciated the intent but compare this to the "hatke" films of other countries in the world.

PS: every director always has a message in his film

Top Bottom