Movies Discussion Thread V1: Ratings and Opinions

Psychosocial

Violent serenity.
^lol Dumb and the Dumberer is a nice passtime...

Anyways, the guy who recommanded me Eden Lake as a gore movie was wrong because that movie dosent have anything gory or disgusting... its not even horror. Its just a thriller but its certainly good.

eggman

I have Yolks not Brains!
*img120.imageshack.us/img120/2919/oscarpreferencesxi4.jpg

The Reader - 6/10. Nothing new. Same old stuff!!! I have no Idea how this film was picked up over THE WRESTLER or IN BRUGES (and obviously THE DARK KNIGHT). It makes no sense at all. No one will remeber this flick after Feb 22.

Frost/Nixon 7.5/10 : Although it has its share of cliche , but atleast it is very gripping and entertaining political flick!!

Academy seems to nominate only serious drama for the BP. My problem with MILK, FROST/NIXON and THE READER is that these films are made to get awards!! There were many flicks that were not award centric but were better than these. But Academy is too blind to see that!!

MILLION DOLLAR BABY - 9.5/10 : One of the most depressing film ever!!! Leaves me so down!! I can't watch this movie again!!!

Last edited:

ratedrsuperstar

The Sexy Beast
The Curious Case of Benjamin Button 4.25/5 good story and brilliant performances dont bore u even though its 155mins long.A MUST WATCH!

now to judge between SM and TCCOBB i wouldnt be dissapointed if it goes either way but as a said as an Indian i am biased about SM and would prefer it

"Thunderball"-found it to be much better than Goldfinger more action and tighter plot ,like always a must watch for Bond fans, personally I find Sean Connery fits the character of James Bond perfectly.

"W"- good movie and Josh Brolin brilliant portrayal of G.H.W Bush shows a different side of him than what is usually shown is known or percieved.

"Last Man Standing"-this movie is terrible ,well if you have watched A Fistful of Dollars then it truly is because you can't stop comparing Bruce Willis to Clint Eastwood and help but notice that Bruce Willis sucks ,and the villains, well not fearsome in looks or speech ,oohhh just terrible.

"The Nines"-though it may seem a little bewildering at times and the low production value may be a turn off some for people ,it is a good watch.

pr.itdude

tHe nEw gEEk......ITian
AASMA - 6.5 /10

I just watched this hindi flick.(btw, accidently as surfing something else..:rolleyes: )
but some emotional drama, forced me to write here....!!
No big names, no starcast but a "feel gud" type movie.
Go for it once, if u r free nowdays........!!!:D:D

rockthegod

Dark Overlord !!!
FOLLOWING -- 9.5/10: A very rare and awesome thriller/crime drama directed by Chris Nolan, shot on a very low budget just 1 year before Memento was made. Brilliant, Simply Brilliant... Wonder how I haven't seen this one before...

THE VISITOR -- 7.5/10: A decent drama featuring Richard Jenkins (Nominated for Best Actor this year at the Academy) with decent acting (nothing to write home about and neither of a great caliber, wonder how he got nominated) and a again a weird plot with lots of cross-cultural and racial references albeit presented with its fair share of cliches IMO.... nevertheless quite enjoyable one !!!

WALTZ WITH BASHIR -- 8.5/10: Artistic animated war narrative with brilliant voice-acting and a very good story told with a surreal punch to depict the futility of War and its effects on real people and real day-2-day incidents !!! Quite impressive !!!

eggman

I have Yolks not Brains!
FOLLOWING -- 9.5/10: A very rare and awesome thriller/crime drama directed by Chris Nolan, shot on a very low budget just 1 year before Memento was made. Brilliant, Simply Brilliant... Wonder how I haven't seen this one before...

+1. The whole film was shot for $6000. And his 6th film was shot for $150million. now thats a jump.

rhitwick

Democracy is a myth
Funny Games 7/10

Till 1.5 hrs it was a 8 rater movie, then it started dragging, for 2 more twists I had to tolerate some dumb logics for 15 more minutes.

If edited a bit more at last scenes it can stay high up there....

Groundhog Day 9/10
*s269.photobucket.com/albums/jj44/visio159/Unismilies/23.png

I know to some the name may not seem promising...but folks, go watch it...I just fell in love with this movie...

Last edited:

karmanya

Journeyman
Has anyone seen the von ryan express? Saw it the other day. Amazing movies.

Can someone give me a list of nice korean movies? My sister is obsessed with them, I've already gotten her "The Classic", "My tutor Friends" and "Seducing Mr Perfect" So movies like these would be great

eggman

I have Yolks not Brains!

Groundhog Day 9/10
*s269.photobucket.com/albums/jj44/visio159/Unismilies/23.png

I know to some the name may not seem promising...but folks, go watch it...I just fell in love with this movie...

i know!! Awesome flick!!! One of my All time best!!

a_medico

Chillum Baba
Can someone give me a list of nice korean movies? My sister is obsessed with them, I've already gotten her "The Classic", "My tutor Friends" and "Seducing Mr Perfect" So movies like these would be great

The Classic must have been an ideal movie to begin with.
Few more recommendations:-

Il Mare
My sassy girl
Marathon
A Moment to Remember (This one is a must watch!)
Love Phobia
Lover's concerto
Love exposure (hehehe those 3 are unrelated to each other)

I am sure more will come from our Korean movie expert T.

*www.orkut.co.in/UniversalSearch.aspx?q="A+Moment+to+Remember+(Korean)"

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
^^Chicks dig melodramatic movies :p The melodrama part is just so perfect in Korean movies.
I will add to the list with a link to post in my blog:
*t.webofgoo.com/2008/05/24/must-watch-korean-movies/
*t.webofgoo.com/2008/09/14/must-watch-korean-movies-ii/

Here is the list from the above blog posts which you can safely tell your sis to watch (I am excluding gory and explicit movies here, leaving only melodrama and romcoms):
1. My Sassy Girl
2. The Classic (you have already watched it)
3. Sad Movie
4. A Moment to Remember
5. Marathon
6. ...ing
7. Lover's Concerto
8. Once in a Summer (you sis will really love this movie)
9. Lump of Sugar
10. Windstruck (My Sassy Girl's spiritual successor...lol. But not as good)
11. The Beast and The Beauty
12. My Little Bride (This is just hilarious, every moment is at par with My Sassy Girl)
13. A Millionaire's First Love
14. Welcome to Dongmakgol (anti war)
15. Love Phobia
16. Please Teach Me English
17. The Host

Some recent ones I watched:
1. My Girl and I (end is really well done)
2. Shiri (anti war movie)
3. 200 Pounds Beauty (romantic and good music, thats it)
4. Joint Security Area (anti war movie)

PS: Get you sis some kleenex before watching them ;p

Top Bottom