Movies Discussion Thread V1: Ratings and Opinions

rhitwick

Democracy is a myth
Jab tak hai jaan has gr8 story then :p

JTHJ has an average story which was forced to stretch to make 3HR long movie. I don't know why they did it.

But, compared to JTHJ, Inception really can't boast of having a 'story'. Its a very good concept but story...no.

Well, why don't you guys do one thing...

Why not write the 'story' of Inception here. You might just convince me that it really had a story.

You know, story of Inception is like Himesh Reshmiya's songs. Its very catchy, foot tapping, full of beats but you can't hum it. If you can't hum it, for me it does not have a tune or melody.

thetechfreak

Legend Never Ends
story of Inception.
Former dream architect Dominick
"Dom" Cobb and business partner
Arthur perform corporate espionage using an experimental military-
developed machine to infiltrate the subconscious of their targets and extract information while dreaming,
their latest target being Japanese
businessman Saito. Tiered dream within a dream strategies are used and dreamers awaken by a "kick" or by dying in the dream. If the
dreamer is the one who dies, the
dream "collapses". Each extractor
carries a totem, a small object the
behavior of which is only
predictable to its owner, used to determine whether a dreamer is in
someone else's dream. Cobb's totem
is a spinning top that perpetually spins in the dream state. The
extraction fails due to Mallorie "Mal"
Cobb, Cobb's deceased wife, whose
memory projection sabotages the
mission. Saito reveals, after Cobb's
and Arthur's associate sells them out, that he was actually auditioning
the team to perform the difficult act
of inception: implanting an idea into
a person's subconscious while they
sleep. Saito wishes to break up the energy conglomerate of his ailing competitor Maurice Fischer, by
planting the idea in his son and heir
Robert Fischer to disintegrate his
father's company. Should Cobb
succeed, Saito would use his
influence to clear a murder charge against Cobb, so he can return to the
United States and his children. Cobb
accepts the offer and assembles his
team: Eames, a conman and identity
forger; Yusuf, a chemist who
concocts the powerful sedative for a stable dream within a dream
strategy; Ariadne, an architecture
student tasked with designing the labyrinth of the dream landscapes; and Arthur. Saito accompanies so
that he knows whether or not Cobb
and his team succeeded. When the elder Fischer dies in
Sydney and his body is flown back
to Los Angeles, the team share the
flight with Robert Fischer and Cobb
sedates him, bringing him into the
shared dream. At each stage, the member of the team generating the
dream stays behind to initiate the
"kick", while the other members
sleep within the dream to travel a
level deeper. In the first level, Yusuf's
rainy downtown dream, the team abducts Fischer. However Fischer's
trained subconscious projections
attack and severely wound Saito.
Eames temporarily takes the
appearance of Fischer's godfather,
Peter Browning, to suggest Fischer reconsider his father's will. Yusuf drives the team in a van as they are
sedated into Arthur's dream, a hotel,
where the team recruit Fischer,
convincing him his kidnapping was
orchestrated by Browning. In the
third dream level, a snowy mountain fortress dreamed by Eames, Fischer
is told they are in Browning's
subconscious, but they are really
going deeper into Fischer's. Yusuf,
under assault by trained projections,
initiates his kick too soon by driving off a bridge, sending Arthur's dream
world into zero-gravity and causing
an avalanche in Eames' dream.
Arthur improvises a new kick using
an elevator that will be synchronized
with the van hitting the water, while the team in Eames' dream races to
finish the job before the new round
of kicks. Due to the effects of heavy sedation
and multi-layered dreaming, death
during this mission will result in
entering Limbo, dream space of
unknown content where the
dreamer could be trapped. Elapsed time in each dream level is roughly
twenty times greater than in the
level above it; in Limbo, the deepest
level of all, 24 hours of outer-world
time would be experienced as about
half a century. Cobb reveals to Ariadne that he spent "fifty years"
with Mal in Limbo constructing a
world from their shared memories
whilst seemingly growing old
together. After returning to the
waking world, Mal remained convinced she was still dreaming
and committed suicide, trying to
persuade Cobb to do so by
retroactively incriminating him in her
death. He fled the U.S. and left his
children behind, ostensibly in the care of his father-in-law. Saito succumbs to his wounds, and
Cobb's projection of Mal sabotages
the plan by killing Fischer, sending them both into Limbo.[14] Cobb and Ariadne enter Limbo to find Fischer
and Saito, while Eames remains on
his dream level to set up a kick by
rigging the fortress with explosives.
Cobb confronts his projection of Mal,
who tries convincing him to stay in Limbo. Cobb refuses and confesses
that he was responsible for Mal's
suicide: having convinced her to
leave Limbo by using inception to
plant the idea in her mind that the
world they had been living in for fifty years was not real, and hence
the need to kill themselves in order
to return to the real world, once
back in the real world she continued
to believe dying would wake her.
Mal attacks Cobb but Ariadne shoots her. Through his confession, Cobb
attains catharsis and chooses to remain in Limbo to search for Saito.
Ariadne pushes Fischer off a
balcony, bringing him back up to
the mountain fortress, where he
enters a safe room to discover and
accept the planted idea: that his father wishes him to be his "own
man", and that splitting up the
conglomerate might not be a radical
notion. All of the team members except
Cobb and Saito ride the
synchronized kicks back to reality:
Ariadne jumps off a balcony in
Limbo, Eames detonates the
explosives in the fortress, Arthur blasts an elevator containing the
team's sleeping bodies up an
elevator shaft, and the van in Yusuf's
dream hits the water. Cobb
eventually finds an aged Saito and
the two remember their arrangement, presumably killing
themselves and awakening to
outer-world reality on the airplane.
Saito honors the arrangement and
Cobb passes through U.S. customs once the plane lands in Los Angeles.
Before reuniting with his children,
Cobb tests reality with his spinning
top, but he turns away to greet them
before observing the results. As he
plays with his children, the camera pans to the spinning top, at which
point the film ends.

cyborg47

Technomancer
Art? yes.
Concept? Yes.
Presentation? Mind blown!
but
story? No.

Do you deduce every single film this way? u gonna have a hard time enjoying movies mate. coz afaik, concept+presentation+art = story. If you are particularly talking about plot, Inception has one of the best plots among the big block busters, its tough feat to pull off you know, making a high budget film with a kickass story. The movie kept me at the edge of the seat until the very end.
Here's what Nolan thinks of people like you :p

I sometimes get frustrated with studio executives - and indeed critics - who will watch a film in a very linear way and make notes as they go, because that's not how movies work. You get to the end - the audience gets to the end - and then you take about five minutes to decide 'OK, what was all that?' and your brain really looks at everything in a different way and then you decide. And that's why endings are so important and that's why you really have to get to the end of a movie before you know what it is.

Last edited:

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin
story of inception
We Need to go Deeper

there's an amazing book called Fortress Of The Pearl by Michael Moorcock, it's a complex, rich story, and two people steal a pearl from a sick and comatose girl's dream, think inception was totally inspired by that story

rhitwick

Democracy is a myth
Do you deduce every single film this way? u gonna have a hard time enjoying movies mate. coz afaik, concept+presentation+art = story. If you are particularly talking about plot, Inception has one of the best plots among the big block busters, its tough feat to pull off you know, making a high budget film with a kickass story. The movie kept me at the edge of the seat until the very end.
Here's what Nolan thinks of people like you :p

Ummm, kinda, yes. Everyone has a passion and for me movies are one of 'em. I very much like to 'dissect' a movie in various angles. And, I really like writing reviews of movies. You may refer my reviews in "Movie review..." thread to know how I tend to think. You would find me a regular contributor there.
No, I do not suffer in superiority complex but I've seen enough movies that very few amaze me now.

And, one more thing, I love reading novels. I've loved reading since I was a kid and still pursue it. May be thats why I prefer conventional story telling. A beginning, a middle and an end. But of late the trend is to cash on a brilliant concept. Most of the time the script writers have a spark of brilliance and an unique concept is conceived. Then they add head and tail to it. Few dialogs here and there and SFX to cover all the sins.

Inception, Avatar both suffer in this regard. Avatar still has a story but average whereas Inception has a concept which was turned into screenplay.

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin
avatar is about the only movie that's not based on comic, a novel, an epic or an amusement park ride.. just not officially , there's pocahontas
its not the story at all, does not matter, its the visuals only atm, an established story helps with the visuals, that's where text plays a role, and that's probably why Tarantino scripts leak

Sandeep Roy

Broken In
Exactly. You cant be a critic and enjoy the film. Vice versa is possible but one must watch the film first without judgement. I've bad habits too, of constantly predicting the ending and not watching trailer before films..
I used to be like rhitwick. Always judging movies, novels and football matches. Later my friends pointed out how I always RATE stuffs and use phrases like "Top 10" often and how my ratings in imdb are based on potential quality achieved in the movie rather than how much i enjoy the 90mins. Weeks ago I watched Wanted in a 40' smart tv which converted some stuffs in the movie to 3d even though the movie isnt one, and was amazed by its thrill. Went to imdb and saw I rated it 5. My reaction was "am i this skeptical?". Don't get me wrong, you cannot biasedly choose one film over another in terms of "entertainment" alone, but you cannot watch a new movie and analyze it at the same time. I've a perception that every film is worth watching considering the fact we pay zero to watch a film made by lots of brilliant minds and hundreds of staffs and still question if its worth a couple of hours of our life? Saying that, its been 3yrs since I downloaded jeniffer's body and still havent watched it and will probably avoid Holy Motors and On the road, kinda making me a hypocrite but its a good attitude to have if you watch a new movie almost daily.
p.s. I would like some recommendations of the movies that amazes rhitwick

Last edited:

rhitwick

Democracy is a myth

I think I've written a review to justify my rating. You are supposed to have issue with my review and question them. Then rating can be attacked not prior to that.

avatar is about the only movie that's not based on comic, a novel, an epic or an amusement park ride.. just not officially , there's pocahontas
its not the story at all, does not matter, its the visuals only atm, an established story helps with the visuals, that's where text plays a role, and that's probably why Tarantino scripts leak

Same as above.

R2K

In the Zone
Wind Chill (2007)
5/10
The movie started off really interesting but the second half just ruined the whole experience. It was like they planned the movie to go with one storyline in first half and other half with a another storyline.

rhitwick

Democracy is a myth
Exactly. You cant be a critic and enjoy the film. Vice versa is possible but one must watch the film first without judgement. I've bad habits too, of constantly predicting the ending and not watching trailer before films..
I used to be like rhitwick. Always judging movies, novels and football matches. Later my friends pointed out how I always RATE stuffs and use phrases like "Top 10" often and how my ratings in imdb are based on potential quality achieved in the movie rather than how much i enjoy the 90mins. Weeks ago I watched Wanted in a 40' smart tv which converted some stuffs in the movie to 3d even though the movie isnt one, and was amazed by its thrill. Went to imdb and saw I rated it 5. My reaction was "am i this skeptical?". Don't get me wrong, you cannot biasedly choose one film over another in terms of "entertainment" alone, but you cannot watch a new movie and analyze it at the same time. I've a perception that every film is worth watching considering the fact we pay zero to watch a film made by lots of brilliant minds and hundreds of staffs and still question if its worth a couple of hours of our life? Saying that, its been 3yrs since I downloaded jeniffer's body and still havent watched it and will probably avoid Holy Motors and On the road, kinda making me a hypocrite but its a good attitude to have if you watch a new movie almost daily.
Yes, I judge movies. And this I developed by watching at least one movie everyday and at least 2-3 movies on weekends. The volume made me this way. Content after content and afet a time you search for x-factor to get amazed or impressed. And, then you start deducing.
p.s. I would like some recommendations of the movies that amazes rhitwick
Ya, I can help you with that,

3 Iron
My Sassy girl(Korean)
Groundhog Day
Pan's Labyrinth

Anatomy of a murder
Dial M for mujrder
12 Angry men
Mr. Smmith goes to washington
Peeping tom
Its a wonderful life
Straw Dogs
Funny Games
Being John Malkovich
Matrix
Etc.

Mohabbatein
Rockstar
Jab we Met

Udaan
The President is coming
Ishqiya
Gulaal
Ek Doctor ki maut
Pyaasa
Others...

Yem Maya Chesave
Happy days
Hemlock Society
Others...

Makx

Game on
Iron Sky - 10/10
The Nazis have been hiding on the dark side of the moon since 1945 and are now back for revenge.
The movie is much more than that, I love this scene in particular :-D

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
Watched Flight.. As usual Denzel Washington at his best. BTW I recall that he has played couple of negative roles.. but I don't recall which movies.

Flash

Lost in speed
LOOPER - I can admit it's a complex movie, and its story is certainly fresh with the concept of Loops.