Movies Discussion Thread V1: Ratings and Opinions

a_medico

Chillum Baba
Red Lights - Interesting movie. Keeps you glued till the end. Reminds you of The Prestige intermittently. Worth watching and then discussing the interpretations.

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
Cure (1997) - Genuinely spooky movie. It gets under the skin without any explicit notes of horror. Similar to Dread but much better than Dread in execution, use of lights, minimal ambient sounds and subtle spine chilling gestures in scenes. 9/10.

icebags

Technomancer
One man who will go to any length trying to save his wife's life ?

Am I right ?

I have this movie in my mind after I watched Moon. Clint Mansell composed the score for both.

Well, man went quite a length, but there was no positive response from the other side is what I thought.

Last edited:

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
The Blob (1988) - Good non CGI monster movie. Well done gore scenes. But story is a bit of a generic one. Good guy saves the day and bad guys meet their fate. Dillon's rebel character was awesome.

Batman Dark Knight Returns Part 1 (2012) - Batman buffed up. Good story. Bane's got competition.

The Cabin in the Woods (2011) - Last few minutes were good when all hell broke loose.

Gotta watch The Fountain soon.

^May be the only asian movie which you have not watched earlier :p

Mesmerized? :p

Stopped my movies spree long back. Now and then get the recommendation from here

Scared the **** out of me.

rhitwick

Democracy is a myth
Project X 6/10

I don't know if its must watch. Movies should have some meaning then there are movies like "Scott. Pilgrim vs. World" and "Project X" which just exists.
Its a pseudo inspirational movie and I'm not sure if what had been shown here is of to be inspired of or to be proud of. May be I'm reacting too much, its only a movie right?

Still...can't like this movie.

Rating on: concept, execution, pace and b00bs.

Last edited:

rhitwick

Democracy is a myth
Red Lights 6.5/10

When you make such movies, first you need to decide which side are you on? Whom do you want to see the audience win at the end? Not every movie dares to put what they believe in screen. Even if you disagree, being atheist is so in fashion now, you would hardly see religious movies out there. "Book of Eli" tried to do that and flopped.
So, in "Red Lights" a mid-ground is taken.

The movie is brilliant if you can ignore last 5 minutes or just close your media player when 5 minutes only left (Ya, I recommend that)
Such good acting and creepy environment was built up and the climax ruined it.

Last edited:

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
@rhitwick and @a_medico (after you have seen The Cure)

In the trailer I see that Takabe's wife is hanged in X shape, same as the monkey at Mamiya's house. But the version I saw, she was only show on wheelchair with X carverd.

Look at the 44th second in this trailer:
CURE trailer (Kiyoshi Kurosawa, 1997) - YouTube

What do you think happened ?

a_medico

Chillum Baba
@rhitwick and @a_medico (after you have seen The Cure)

In the trailer I see that Takabe's wife is hanged in X shape, same as the monkey at Mamiya's house. But the version I saw, she was only show on wheelchair with X carverd.

Look at the 44th second in this trailer:
CURE trailer (Kiyoshi Kurosawa, 1997) - YouTube

What do you think happened ?

There are two versions apparently. The trailer is the original Japanese version. Me too saw her on the wheelchair. Again, the original jap version shows the waiteress murdering someone (probably her boss), while the dvd version leaves it open for interpretation. Need to research this movie more.

rhitwick

Democracy is a myth
I've read in IMDB that the director intentionally deleted few scenes to make it more mysterious. Like the wheelchair scene and specially the last scene. I like it this way. Sure raises more questions than answering 'em but giving out everything would have spoiled its genius

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
So there was either a wheelchair scene or the cross hanged corpse of her wife. Not both at the same time. But as far as I know the initial test subject monkey was in cross shape too. So who actually killed her ? And it seemed more like the initialization of another Mamiya as a sort of ritual.

rhitwick

Democracy is a myth
These might help you.
Actually, two scenes at the end of the film were cut short by Kurosawa. The first has Fumie being wheeled down the hallway. The unfilmed scene first had her laying horizontally on top of a machine that slowly crept forward, then sprung vertically and continously forward. She was positioned just like the monkey from Mamiya's apartment. Kurosawa says he was partially emulating a scene from The Mill of the Stone Women, which is his favorite horror film.
IMDb :: Boards :: Cure (1997) :: Spoiler alert: The ending?

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
all these spoilers tags make me wanna watch the "Cure" :/

it's slow, not for everyone. See if you like it or hate it

These might help you.

Yeah, I went through imdb. So the two scenes are different versions. Both are creepy. But the cross one feels more artistic and at the same time creepy...lol.

This movie actually reminded me of Silent Hill 2.

quan chi

mortal kombat
Watched The Dark Knight again.:lol: yeah this time too my view about the film did not change.:D But i must admit that earlier i had almost no knowledge about Heath Ledger's past roles.But after reading a bit about him and seeing the film again i feel that nolan made the film for him only.I think joker's dialogues have more punch than harvey's or batmans.Nothing to say about the acting it was wonderful indeed.

Top Bottom