Movies Discussion Thread V1: Ratings and Opinions

a_medico

Chillum Baba
I found it slightly confusing and just felt this sequel is just made to end the series.

*www.imdb.com/title/tt1477076/

Theres Saw VII coming for you :p

I doubt people were actually able to understand the series of events presented and how were they connected and that is why probably lost the track and interest.

I admit my IQ doesn't allow me to keep the track of all the events from 1 to 6. I will watch part 7 anyways.

abyss88

Broken In
DR. strangelove................................................8/10 nice phunny philm.

i heard that, Ronin is a good movie..so i'm going to watch it tonight

Ethan_Hunt

Aspiring Novelist
I for sure am a more than the average SAW series lover and hence loved all SAW 1 to 4, except 5 and still to see 6. I dont know why people say after one it was all same when there were lots of difference specially 3 and 4, the way there were connected, the incidents and episodes was exceptional, very innovative thinking if you ask me, I doubt people were actually able to understand the series of events presented and how were they connected and that is why probably lost the track and interest.
Don't get me wrong. I love the SAW series myself. After watching the first movie, I was intrigued. The concept was never adapted before and provided with such brilliant presentation. I can still remember almost every scene from that movie. This is just after one viewing. The rest which followed had good trap concepts, but they had so many characters involved in them which led to a mess. Keeping tab of each of their individual plots was tad difficult. Tell you what, I'll go through them again and see if we have a difference in opinion or my views change.

sam9s

The High 5 Flyer
where i can get this documentary.....!!! i neeed tooo waatch iiitttt

Which documentry........26/11 one?? Check Discovery or Nat Geo programm listing, should be repeated at some time.

I admit my IQ doesn't allow me to keep the track of all the events from 1 to 6. I will watch part 7 anyways.

Its not about IQ, its the level of interest in the Genre, that makes you concentrate, if you do you will catch all the links. Some people dont, may be because as I said its not per their interest or sometimes its just the mood that is not in that zone.
-----------------------------------------
Posted again:
-----------------------------------------
Don't get me wrong. I love the SAW series myself. After watching the first movie, I was intrigued. The concept was never adapted before and provided with such brilliant presentation. I can still remember almost every scene from that movie. This is just after one viewing. The rest which followed had good trap concepts, but they had so many characters involved in them which led to a mess. Keeping tab of each of their individual plots was tad difficult. Tell you what, I'll go through them again and see if we have a difference in opinion or my views change.

You will I am pretty sure. Even I was only able to follow the first two easily and had to rewatch 3 and 4 to get things right, and when I did I was blown away by the innovative connectivity they had shown then I went to IMDB and had few serious engrossing discuessions, which made things even more clear and myself appreciating the movie more. SAW is the only movie after Back to the future where in I was compelled to get the next part immidiately and go for it.

Last edited:

a_medico

Chillum Baba
Dread - New heights in gore. But great execution. Worth a watch but be warned of some messy fckd up stuff. Few scenes reminded me of Saw I (and thats not a spoiler at all).

rhitwick

Democracy is a myth
You will I am pretty sure. Even I was only able to follow the first two easily and had to rewatch 3 and 4 to get things right, and when I did I was blown away by the innovative connectivity they had shown

Would u mind if I say, those are forced connectivity.

U show a character in part one. Nothing much has been told about him/her. Not much focus is on him/her. May be in one scene he/she ws shown filling a glass of water from a cooler at an incident spot or walking by another incident spot.

Now, when u sit down to make sequel, u really don't have a story, u have the fortune and fame infront of u, and u want to encash it again.

U do a research (good research though) to find any character which is not explored (exposed) in previous part.

U choose two-four such.
Do a more research whose appearance was close to incident spot in first installment and then u sit down to create a story around him/her.

SAW1: He's a psycho
SAW2: A bit on why he's doing such things
SAW3: same as above
SAW4: same as above + why he's psycho
SAW5: Now to stretch it, u put a flashback to him. Its done by every film. Watch any South movies. There every movie has to be of 3hrs. So, to stretch the length, always the hero or villain has a flashback. And, obviously u put a partner with him, he had partner previous also, but this time u r told he had another one. So, if he had two partners, why not three, why not it was someone else who was controlling him?

From now expect every kind of plot twists in it.

SAW is the only movie after Back to the future where in I was compelled to get the next part immidiately and go for it.
Back to the future part one is good.
But the second part is incomplete without third.
For this movie, Part1 doesn't raise a question for a second part but part two sure asks a third installment.

If, u watched the trend of sequels closely, u would find a pattern.

Tremors part 1: One animal is left at the end of the movie. (result more sequels)
Jurassic park: Dino eggs left at the end of the movie (result, sequels)
Terminator: Never ends at the end (calls more sequels)

Then there comes those movies which became immensely famous due to some particular character.
Matrix (there had to be sequels, why would u leave such a popular brand)
Mission Impossible
Police Story
After "Shanghai Noon" there had to be "Shanghai Nights"
Bourne series

oh, I can go on in this topic.....

/offtopic, how did u guys watch SAW6 and PA? Is the DVD out?

Krow

Crowman
Pathetic? How so?
Is he talking about Crash - 1996 - David Cronenberg or LA Crash - 2003 - Idontcarewho. Guys, if you are into some freaky movies, then try Crash, the former one. Very unusual movie and not for everyone. If you have a squeamish stomach, then this is a no.

Ethan_Hunt

Aspiring Novelist
Is he talking about Crash - 1996 - David Cronenberg or LA Crash - 2003 - Idontcarewho. Guys, if you are into some freaky movies, then try Crash, the former one. Very unusual movie and not for everyone. If you have a squeamish stomach, then this is a no.
I suppose he was talking about the latter one, which won an Oscar for the best motion picture.

Krow

Crowman
Looks like it. The former movie is about this wacky group of people who get orgasms from hearing about/being in a car crash.

Ethan_Hunt

Aspiring Novelist
Looks like it. The former movie is about this wacky group of people who get orgasms from hearing about/being in a car crash.
Never heard of it. :neutral:

Anyway, saw Moon and found it to be completely average. May be I missed some huge under lying plot, but not sure why it's getting such huge reviews as being "one of the best sci-fi movies". Folks who have rated it highly out here, could you tell me what exactly did you find so exciting about it?

I don't tend to create and argument, but merely wish to check what is it that you liked to so dearly about it?

My rating would be 6/10.

Krow

Crowman
I liked the simplicity of it. The conflict between the two who struggle to come to terms with reality. Made a lot of sense to me. We all wonder who we are and where we came from. the setting made sense to me too. Every man is an island, isn't he? I saw it at 1am with all silence on my Home Theater. Made a world of sense to me.

Nithu

I'm in 3D Grafix world!!!
I liked the simplicity of it. The conflict between the two who struggle to come to terms with reality. Made a lot of sense to me. We all wonder who we are and where we came from. the setting made sense to me too.

+1..........

Rahim

Married!
Heat: Saw it and was completely blown away by superb acting by Pacino & De Niro. I love those movies which gives music some thought and that sound of real machine guns and weapons were awesome.

a_medico

Chillum Baba
I liked the simplicity of it. The conflict between the two who struggle to come to terms with reality. Made a lot of sense to me. We all wonder who we are and where we came from. the setting made sense to me too. Every man is an island, isn't he? I saw it at 1am with all silence on my Home Theater. Made a world of sense to me.

+1

My opinion which is posted few pages back :

Moon - Interesting stuff. The movie is well ahead of its time. Slow but interesting. Music is by Clint Mansell, the man behind The Fountain and Requiem for the dream. Music is good but not comparable to other two movies.

Similar but better recommendation - Solaris (2002 I think).

Solaris has George Clooney and I highly recommend it. Opinions could differ though as it too is slow paced but gripping.

sam9s

The High 5 Flyer
Would u mind if I say, those are forced connectivity.

U show a character in part one. Nothing much has been told about him/her. Not much focus is on him/her. May be in one scene he/she ws shown filling a glass of water from a cooler at an incident spot or walking by another incident spot.

Now, when u sit down to make sequel, u really don't have a story, u have the fortune and fame infront of u, and u want to encash it again.

U do a research (good research though) to find any character which is not explored (exposed) in previous part.

U choose two-four such.
Do a more research whose appearance was close to incident spot in first installment and then u sit down to create a story around him/her.

SAW1: He's a psycho
SAW2: A bit on why he's doing such things
SAW3: same as above
SAW4: same as above + why he's psycho
SAW5: Now to stretch it, u put a flashback to him. Its done by every film. Watch any South movies. There every movie has to be of 3hrs. So, to stretch the length, always the hero or villain has a flashback. And, obviously u put a partner with him, he had partner previous also, but this time u r told he had another one. So, if he had two partners, why not three, why not it was someone else who was controlling him?

I completely differe here, I dont think they were forcely connected, though openion would obviously differ if you ask me I'd say they found an innovative way to connect sequels instead of actually trying to find a linear way to create a sequel( which probably would have ruined the experience). But then thats my take.

Also I am surprised you say that nothing has been shown/discribed about characters in SAW series, every character and the reason Jigsaw chooses to terminate him/her has been expleined in all subsequent series, with an in evident ending.

The way you have discribed SAW series, anyone can discribe to completely ruine even a cult classic.

Terminator 1 : Some robot comes from future to kill
Terminator 2 : Same robot comes again to save
Terminator 3 : same as above
Terminator 4 : None of the above

so now does that make Terminator series crap. Think before you actually put an example to prove your point (which you might actually have)

Back to the future part one is good.
But the second part is incomplete without third.
For this movie, Part1 doesn't raise a question for a second part but part two sure asks a third installment.

I was merely Inferring to the level of interest that was generated to an extent that I could not wait to view the sequel for even one day.

Top Bottom