Movies Discussion Thread V1: Ratings and Opinions

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
About Detective Byomkesh Bakshy, yea that is one good movie in recent times. But highly underrated.
The story at times does become convoluted by the end, but that because I didn't expect it to be. There's more than what meets the eye in this film.

After the movie "Bobby Jasoos" made me speechless (in negative sense) BB made me restore faith in Detective stories. I haven't seen the original BB series by Bandyopadhyay, I do think this have its own signature in India, like Sherlock has its own in UK.

rhitwick

Democracy is a myth
About Detective Byomkesh Bakshy, yea that is one good movie in recent times. But highly underrated.
The story at times does become convoluted by the end, but that because I didn't expect it to be. There's more than what meets the eye in this film.

After the movie "Bobby Jasoos" made me speechless (in negative sense) BB made me restore faith in Detective stories. I haven't seen the original BB series by Bandyopadhyay, I do think this have its own signature in India, like Sherlock has its own in UK.

The bongs (my wife who has seen it) are not happy with it.

It'll be easier to make you understand the issue if you say you've read Tintin as comics.

Now compare the recent Tintin movie to the book. What do you feel? Bongs felt the same.

quan chi

mortal kombat
Tintin would be a bad example I have read tintin,seen all the cartoon series also liked the movie too. Its not bad mainly because the protagonists remain true to the book. I can understand the other changes they have made.

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
Comparing books/comics with movies is almost always a bad idea. I judged Byomkesh as a standalone Bollywood movie and only compared it with Sherlock, on which I previously thought it was inspired.
The actual inspired series from Sherlock seems to be Agent Raghav though, failing miserably in the process.

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
So who watched The Martian?
*xkcd.com/1536/

Should I watch Apollo 13 and Apollo 18 before this?

bssunilreddy

Chosen of the Omnissiah
Kill the Messenger (2014) - 7/10

Plot Summary:A reporter becomes the target of a vicious smear campaign that drives him to the point of suicide after he exposes the CIA's role in arming Contra rebels in Nicaragua and importing cocaine into California. Based on the true story of journalist Gary Webb.

quan chi

mortal kombat
I was waiting for a 2d version. I had no intention to post this in this thread but anyways... Its a shame that the martian has so much limited release in india & WHY THE fck only IN 3D?? This is really dumb. They are forcing to see it in 3d when it not a real 3D film.

sling-shot

Wise Old Owl
I was waiting for a 2d version. I had no intention to post this in this thread but anyways... Its a shame that the martian has so much limited release in india & WHY THE fck only IN 3D?? This is really dumb. They are forcing to see it in 3d when it not a real 3D film.
Oh! Never knew that. I am determined to watch only in 2D too. I hate the goggles.

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
I had a hard time finding the 2D and English version of The Martian. But alas I did. Only one theater had the show and where I have never gone before. Going today in one hour. :D

rhitwick

Democracy is a myth
The Martian 8/10

Watched it from the 3rd row infront of screen and still loved it. At times there are movies which breaks such trivial boundaries.

This is how I want a sci-fi movie. Less science jargon more drama. If only "Interstellar" could be this way...

Anyway, a good story told in a good light hearted way. Perfect story-telling I would say.
There are cliches though but you would like to ignore them at the end of the movie.

Go for it. Can avoid 3D I guess.

quan chi

mortal kombat
The good the bad & the ugly
One of the best western movies I have ever seen no doubt one of tarantino's inspiration for his movies. There is no unnecessary dialogues & they are very less only used when required. From thrilling music to remarkable screenplay everything is shot well in this movie.A must watch.

harry10

Gadgets freak
I had a hard time finding the 2D and English version of The Martian. But alas I did. Only one theater had the show and where I have never gone before. Going today in one hour. :D

Lucky u. I can't find a single screen with 2d here. Hate 3d.

sling-shot

Wise Old Owl
The Martian 8/10

Watched it from the 3rd row infront of screen and still loved it. At times there are movies which breaks such trivial boundaries.

This is how I want a sci-fi movie. Less science jargon more drama. If only "Interstellar" could be this way...

Anyway, a good story told in a good light hearted way. Perfect story-telling I would say.
There are cliches though but you would like to ignore them at the end of the movie.

Go for it. Can avoid 3D I guess.
Have you read the book? If not do read now.

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
Lucky u. I can't find a single screen with 2d here. Hate 3d.

I can't agree more with you on the "hate 3D part". Looks like you will have to watch on small screen only. :(

So I watched the movie The Martian. It's a good one. But I would say it's overrated on IMDb. A rating of 8.5 is supposed to surpass expectations. Not that I had much expectations since I tend to keep them low just in case movie doesn't turn out good. I mostly enjoyed the movie. Though it didn't blew me away. Yes the ending was anti-climatic and probably it was supposed to be that way, and was mostly uplifting too. But there was something missing in the movie. Something which lets me root for the main character.

After the course of whole movie, I didn't know the background of the guy. When time comes, "Oh yea.. I am Botanist.". That's all. We know nothing more about the guy. He was stranded for years on the planet and yet I didn't feel his "loneliness". Mars is such a vast planet on scale, yet we see him reaching point B from A in seconds. Yes time had to be compressed. But there are ways to show the "sense" in a 2 and a half hour film. For a movie that is based on Mars, I didn't even got a clear view of the planet for many minutes into the film. As I said earlier, the film just doesn't show the scale properly. We did get many panned shots of Earth though. Speaking of which, we are told that whole world are rooting for the man. Yet we don't see different people in different countries praying for his return or something. I think the movie fails to show its impact on global level. This movie could have been so good probably from Nolan's story telling and Spielberg's direction.

Anyway, I think I am comparing this film to some other great movies which I loved, aka, The Moon, Mission to Mars, Contact, Interstellar etc. Probably that's unfair comparison. Loved the wit of the film though.

rhitwick

Democracy is a myth
After the course of whole movie, I didn't know the background of the guy. When time comes, "Oh yea.. I am Botanist.". That's all. We know nothing more about the guy. He was stranded for years on the planet and yet I didn't feel his "loneliness". Mars is such a vast planet on scale, yet we see him reaching point B from A in seconds. Yes time had to be compressed. But there are ways to show the "sense" in a 2 and a half hour film. For a movie that is based on Mars, I didn't even got a clear view of the planet for many minutes into the film. As I said earlier, the film just doesn't show the scale properly. We did get many panned shots of Earth though. Speaking of which, we are told that whole world are rooting for the man. Yet we don't see different people in different countries praying for his return or something. I think the movie fails to show its impact on global level. This movie could have been so good probably from Nolan's story telling and Spielberg's direction.

There is a discussion going on IMDB regardng this,

Mark whatney's family? - IMDb

ZTR

Cyborg Agent
For those who have watched the Martian, read the book and also read the interview of Andy Weir with are technica to know why he hasn't concentrated much on the loneliness part
Stuck on Mars with nothing but disco: Ars talks with The Martian?s Andy Weir | Ars Technica

"I’ll give you a sideways answer to that," he said. "There are a bunch of*severe*psychological effects that would happen to someone being isolated for almost two years. And also the anxiety and stress of being on the verge of death from various problems for so long—most people would not be able to handle that. The loneliness, the isolation, the anxiety, and stress—I mean, it would take an enormous psychological toll. And I didn’t deal with any of that. I just said like, 'Nope, that’s not how Mark Watney rolls.' So he has almost superhuman ability to deal with stress and solitude.

"And the reason I did that was because I didn’t want the book to be a deep character study of crippling loneliness and depression—that’s not what I wanted! So the biggest challenge were the psychological aspects, and I just didn’t address them and I hope the reader doesn’t notice."

Last edited:
Top Bottom