Movies Discussion Thread V1: Ratings and Opinions

bssunilreddy

Chosen of the Omnissiah
Chappie (2015) -10/10

In the near future, crime is patrolled by a mechanized police force. When one police droid, Chappie, is stolen and given new programming, he becomes the first robot with the ability to think and feel for himself.

Ex Machina (2015) -8/10

A young programmer is selected to participate in a breakthrough experiment in artificial intelligence by evaluating the human qualities of a breathtaking female A.I.

icebags

Technomancer
^ this guy's last 2 posts makes me think he is a bot. Just kidding

well, hes better these days than before. earlier he just used to post film names. :D

the 1 or 2 liners are useful than nothing, i must admit i added some films to my imdb watchlist from his posts. :)

theserpent

Firecracker to the moon
MAD MAX 3D - 8/10

Great action and visuals(even the girls :p ) , the annonying guitarist in the battle, and as always useless crappy 3D

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
Whatever's wrong with Avengers: Age of Ultron.. : Age of Ultron Is Proof Marvel Is Killing the Popcorn Movie | WIRED

Damn the article long, but it mostly nailed it. Article tells about how the first Avengers is far better than Ultron, and what went wrong in new Avenger. It talks about how Hulk smash alludes for movie fans (why movie fans all over the world cheered when Hulk smashed Loki) and later also talks about the dark side of it.

Fantastic read for any one interested in Marvel movies (as fans or otherwise).

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin
It's the best so far, and Marvel is getting much better at it

The movie cannot be answerable to the marketing and production of other products of the studio.
Really think, that the way footage was juggled between all the characters was brilliant. Everyone worked together more than previous movies.

some more hate here : TheÂ*Hater’sÂ*Guide ToÂ*Avengers: Age of Ultron

GOTG and Age of Ultron lots of fun to rewatch

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
Whatever's wrong with Avengers: Age of Ultron.. : Age of Ultron Is Proof Marvel Is Killing the Popcorn Movie | WIRED

Damn the article long, but it mostly nailed it. Article tells about how the first Avengers is far better than Ultron, and what went wrong in new Avenger. It talks about how Hulk smash alludes for movie fans (why movie fans all over the world cheered when Hulk smashed Loki) and later also talks about the dark side of it.

Fantastic read for any one interested in Marvel movies (as fans or otherwise).

TOOOO big article. Lost interest in the middle.

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
It's the best so far, and Marvel is getting much better at it

The movie cannot be answerable to the marketing and production of other products of the studio.

GOTG and Age of Ultron lots of fun to rewatch

But Ultron have thrown out the depth of characters in water. its all flashy and bang bang and noise. No actual depth. I don't think I could agree on you.

TOOOO big article. Lost interest in the middle.

Just read the hulk parts. Quoting here:

Character arcs aren’t negotiable. They’re not highbrow or pretentious or complicated. Character arcs are essential to the success of any story in any genre. To understand why all this matters, look at the Hulk’s arc in the first Avengers, which many people consider to be the most successful part of that movie. I would argue that it’s actually the most successful element of any Marvel movie to date. In the first Avengers, the Hulk (1) hates being the Hulk, (2) encounters a situation that can only be resolved by becoming the Hulk, and (3) embraces being the Hulk. Simple, right? Stupid simple. Yet it landed like a ton of bricks in the theater, because that’s what stories are. Stories use cause and effect to dramatize a process whereby a person is forced to change.

Hulk’s arc, simple as it might be, was a cause-and-effect process that dramatized a universal human problem:You might not always like yourself, so you can identify with someone who doesn’t like himself, and therefore, you will experience catharsis when a story gives the both of you permission to love yourselves. When he goes on that final rampage and slams Loki into the floor, that’s not just a cartoon causing some corporate-mandated violence: That’s you, loving your body despite being the “wrong” size, or making feminist points in a conversation without worrying that someone will call you a buzzkill, or being proud of your art despite the fact that it’s been rejected, or deciding that you can leave your abusive relationship because you are worthy of respect. Hulk smash inner self-loathing, and thereby becomes the most powerful force in the universe.

So finally, our hero, a suicidal man who has spent the whole movie telling himself he’s worthless and intrinsically inferior to other people, encounters Loki, an arrogant, sneering, hyper-critical, hyper-verbal character—a character who mysteriously chooses that very moment to begin a monologue about how worthless the Avengers are, and how inferior they are to him—and suddenly, Loki hits the floor. Hard. And every time Loki hits that floor, all over the world, the theater erupts with screams of joy. There is a release that goes beyond the rational or the personal, here: The noise of hundreds of strangers united for just one second in the realization that deep down, despite all the pain, despite all the **** they put themselves through, despite the endless cruelty that inner critical voice subjects them to, they don’t have to let it keep talking. Deep down, they are not ugly or stupid or unlovable or bad or worthless. Deep down, they are strong. They are heroes.

Author of the article had me in my wits.. when suddenly he then writes:

There’s an alternate interpretation for that Hulk-slams-Loki scene in the first Avengers. I try, very hard, to believe it’s not the correct one. Because it’s an evil message, which cynics will tell you is at the heart of every comic book movie. It is: Punching is better than talking.

Damn, never really thought about it! Next paras have more explanations. But that was Avengers 1. Ultron sadly lost its shine.

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin
Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch were chosen for their anti-punchiness.

he is complaining about how big and successful the MCU is, how nicely the movies tie up things together, and indirectly about what avengers toys are sold
these movies are in good hands

bssunilreddy

Chosen of the Omnissiah
Area 51 (2015) - 8/10

Three young conspiracy theorists attempt to uncover the mysteries of Area 51, the government's secret location rumored to have hosted encounters with alien beings. What they find at this hidden facility exposes unimaginable secrets.

Top Bottom