Mount CDROM, Search

Status
Not open for further replies.

desertwind

Cyborg Agent
1. Even though "Mount removable media when inserted" is checked, Its not doing so. I need to mount it manualy. I was working earlier. This is the entry for cdrom in fstab
Code:
/dev/hdc                /media/cdrom            auto    pamconsole,exec,noauto,managed 0 0

2. Advanced searching is really a pain. It takes ages to search the whole machine "containing text .....". Any suggestions ?

mediator

Technomancer
Yeah I know it doesnt work automatically to mount cdrom !!
You have to do it explicitly! go to console as root and type "mount /media/cdrom" after inserting cd then it'll work!
Also cd doesnt come out unless u order "umount" command!

OP
desertwind

desertwind

Cyborg Agent
mediator said:
Yeah I know it doesnt work automatically to mount cdrom !!
You have to do it explicitly! go to console as root and type "mount /media/cdrom" after inserting cd then it'll work!

says who ?
It does. But now its not working for me. may be i messed up with something.

And sorry for not mentioning the distro. i use FC4

ujjwal

Padawan
You need the autofs package installed, started as a service, and support for autofs enabled in the kernel.

As you said autofs stopped working just recently, most probably the autofs service was disabled by mistake. Try re-enabling it using ntsysv or chkconfig.

Also, here is a nice article on autofs :) -

*www.linuxgazette.com/issue42/nielsen.html

ujjwal

Padawan
Do you want to search within the filename, or search the contents of the files as well?

If the former, you can simply use the "locate <filename>" command, it will search a compact database of the files, and not the filesystem itself, and hence will be very fast. Use "updatedb" as root to update the database manually.

For searching within files, I am sorry, but as far as I know, there is no quick way to do that, as linux uses a lot of ASCII text files (shell scripts, configuration files). But there was a desktop search thingy for Gnome, I forget its name right now.

OP
desertwind

desertwind

Cyborg Agent
ujjwal said:
But there was a desktop search thingy for Gnome, I forget its name right now.

Thats what i want. i want to serach for text inside file. using locate command it tooks a lot of memory and a hell of time.

GNUrag

FooBar Guy
gnome-search-tool
Click on "Show more options"

With GNOME 1.x series, there used to be a tool called gnome-find which had lots of search options and configurable parameters. Its development has stopped since GNOME 2.x series was launched. < *gnome-find-sourceforge.net >

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom