Moto G discussion thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

lywyre

Cyborg Agent
@manohar: I second what you said about quality.

But I don't know why Motorola is delaying the launch so much. They are forgoing their advantage over others with each day's delay. And by information so far available the price also seems to be markedly above international rates diluting the price advantage.

rish1

Cyborg Agent
why is everybody complaining... ??

in other countries Motorola was still in business hence launch didnt took time...

In india Motorola had closed down the business 2 years ago..
now it is making a fresh start it takes time in making distributing partners,sales channels.. they have to set up new contracts with service centers in every city.. otherwise who will provide after sales service ? first launch is always bumpy... with delays and problems

secondly price..
the 8 gb dual sim costs 210$
importing that itself will cost 15,ooo rs after taxes... then they have to provide warranty etc.. so !5500 price is reasonable for 8gb .. 17000 for 16gb dual sim...
lol were you guys expecting same price as USA ... lol.. 1 question to them look at nexus 4/5

lywyre

Cyborg Agent
why is everybody complaining... ??

in other countries Motorola was still in business hence launch didnt took time...

In india Motorola had closed down the business 2 years ago..
now it is making a fresh start it takes time in making distributing partners,sales channels.. they have to set up new contracts with service centers in every city.. otherwise who will provide after sales service ? first launch is always bumpy... with delays and problems

secondly price..
the 8 gb dual sim costs 210$
importing that itself will cost 15,ooo rs after taxes... then they have to provide warranty etc.. so !5500 price is reasonable for 8gb .. 17000 for 16gb dual sim...
lol were you guys expecting same price as USA ... lol.. 1 question to them look at nexus 4/5

They could tie up with any online store like Flipkart / Amazon / ebay for a quick launch. They do have their service network still in operation.

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
I did hear the news that Motorola G will be launched at Online stores only for now. Couldn't find the source but you can find it.
Flipkart is confirmed to be one of the partner although as a sole partner or not initially is not yet confirmed. Waiting for Feb 5.

ankush28

Bazinga
I did hear the news that Motorola G will be launched at Online stores only for now. Couldn't find the source but you can find it.
Flipkart is confirmed to be one of the partner although as a sole partner or not initially is not yet confirmed. Waiting for Feb 5.

There is no such good source :(
Only ome user has aposted about this on XDA's Indian Moto G thread.

bubusam13

Human
Everybody is saying this phone have awesome specs and priced very low. Is it ? It is also not giving any accessories. And people who agreed to buy 8 GB dual SIM for under 15 K, what you will do with so good specs when you don't even have expandable memory. How much memory you will actually get out of 8 GB ?? 5 GB at Max.

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
Everybody is saying this phone have awesome specs and priced very low. Is it ? It is also not giving any accessories. And people who agreed to buy 8 GB dual SIM for under 15 K, what you will do with so good specs when you don't even have expandable memory. How much memory you will actually get out of 8 GB ?? 5 GB at Max.

People can buy those accessories according to their need and choice. I'd like to get a SoundMagic ES18 myself instead of the OEM's earphones.

single sim 16 GB version should be around 15k with taxes.

For storage, there is always USB OTG. But I think Meenova looks good too.

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
How much memory you will actually get out of 8 GB ?? 5 GB at Max.

I would like to counter question.
What will you do with so much *expandable* storage if you won't be able to run the Latesht games and do so much more?

There is no such good source :(
Only ome user has aposted about this on XDA's Indian Moto G thread.

How about this?
*www.bgr.in/manufacturers/motorola/moto-g-launching-in-india-this-week-will-be-sold-exclusively-via-online-retailers/ :D

rickenjus

In the zone
that meenova USB OTG is really lukin great..
0.8"x0.9"x0.3" - orginial dimension
and after inserting into phone 0.8"x0.6"x0.3" ..

less than a inch !!!!
thats amazing, so it will not be a prblm to keep it plugged-in most of the time..

US$ 12.00 + $3.00 ( flat rate for world wide shipping).. that translate to rs 930 (=15*62)

If price difference of 16 gb dual sim vs 8 dual sim varies more than 1500. I will get 8 gb version, as I already have a 16 gb memory card.

bubusam13

Human
What will you do with so much *expandable* storage if you won't be able to run the Latesht games and do so much more?

How about this?
Moto G launching in India this week, will be sold exclusively via online retailers | News & Video Reviews of Gadgets at BGR India :D

You counter question is baseless. Spending a few bucks more you will get a phone with same processing power and expandable memory where you can install many thing. Having good processing power but little memory even to install apps just to save a few bucks is a waste. Better get the 16 GB than the 8 GB. What you will save in 8 GB (5 gb available) ? Music, video or app. 16 GB Moto G would be a better choice.

P.S: Don't just reply. First understand what one is saying. It is a discussion forum. No debate is going on. Nobody wins, nobody looses.

rish1

Cyborg Agent

i didn't get your question ?
are you saying that there is no other phone at this price that can play latest games ?
you are forgetting that xperia l is so much better than moto g in performance.... even camera is better than moto g
moto g major advantage is in 720p screen not performance.. xperia l refresh will also have 720p screen but it might be a little bit expensive..

Last edited:

Pasapa

Live to die another day
Motorola Moto G review: Little big G - GSMArena.com

Well, looking at those benchmarks (particularly Antutu and Quadrant) moto g seems to be better in performance the xperia l.

Superayush

Tech lover

Well, looking at those benchmarks (particularly Antutu and Quadrant) moto g seems to be better in performance the xperia l.

And that too with having higher resolution ofc moto g 's performance is better than l

rish1

Cyborg Agent

i was expecting this kind of answer ..

antutu and quadrant are not good benchmarks in the sense that they measure so many things ram,Cpu,Gpu,Memory card , android OS version,battery performance, and give a combined score and they do not weight marks equally to all things..

they give more free points for having extra cores.. , even a grand quattro with so much weak cores scores 12,000 which gives people illusion it is a so much better phone.. thats why you will get very different results in real life and benchmarks
now go and see the benchmarks of nexus 4 and look at moto g ... moto g has a much higher antutu score than nexus 4

do you really believe nexus 4 is a weaker phone than moto g ?

so how do we test performance of a system by comparing components differently..

CPU
the best benchmark is Linpack ... A cpu is always tested in 2 things singlethreaded and multithreaded performance...
Singlethreaded performance is far more important than muti threaded ..

single thread performance actually tells you the fastness/speed of the core.. by measuring execution of a single instruction at a time which is determined by architecture,IPC and many other things

a cortex a7 is faster than cortex a5 , a core i3 is faster than pentium 4..

a krait core is much faster than a snapdragon cortex A7

Sony Xperia L Benchmarks

Motorola Moto G Benchmarks

mutli threaded is how good your cpu can handle many instructions at a same time but to use this feature the application has to be multithreaded heavily to take full advantage..

compare moto G and xperia L above you will see when an App is fully multithreaded for 4 cores only then and only then moto g is slightly ahead of xperia L .. some amount of difference could be due to android versions ..

the reasons the difference is less here because Xperia L is running at 1 ghz and moto G is 1.2 Ghz .. so 20 % advantage is already enjoyed by moto g, still xperia l is ahead.. otherwise at same clock speed Krait is so much powerful than snapdragon cortex a7

90% of the apps are single threaded with only a few apps multithreaded for 2 cores.. there are hardly any apps that enjoy full 4 core multithreading..
so majority of the time in real world xperia l will kick ass moto G.. you can even test it in many reviews it is said that when heavy multitasking moto G starts to slow down and lag.. xperia L does not slows down on slight heavy multitasking

GPU or Gaming peformance

Gfx bench 2.7 scores offscreen test will test raw performance of Gpu at 1080p resolution..
since both have same gpu so they have same raw performance but but
in real world games run at native resolution since xperia L has lower resolution it will perform much better in games while moto g will put extra pressure on gpu to drive HD resolution and hence lower performance

Xperia L - 12.76 Fps
Moto G - 7.46 Fps

xperia m/L is 70% faster than Moto G in gaming.. and GPU runs games not CPU , CPU performance will have no effect on games at all.. ( there is no bottlenecking in smartphones ) so it doesn't matter if you have 2,4 8 or 100 cores when gaming..

Xperia L and Xperia M are so much better than Moto G in Performance and both xperia m/l are not on android 4.3.. android 4.3 has great optimization it has increased every phones score in almost every benchmark.. so expect higher scores when they are on android 4.3

Last edited:

bubusam13

Human
^^ I agree. I have also noticed here people recommending phones based on specs. Better specs gives better performance, no doubt but it will not necessarily contribute to overall user experience. Overall user experience is also influenced but the software, the OS, the apps and the customizations done on the OS such as the launcher. E.g: I was feed up buy the lagging performance of my ol' SE phone but when I installed Nova launched, wow it's super smooth. Yesterday I was writing something on whatsapp from a website in my phone browser. I had to switch between apps long pressing the home-button. And that's where I missed the multi-window in few Samsung phones. It would have come handy.

Android can be customized extensively. But to what extent to someone who is not a developer ? Is anyone able to port blinkfed or sense UI or the multiwindow. How far is Moto G customized ?

And as for multi threaded apps, I don't think except a few Games and app, there is a whole lot of multithreaded apps that will make use of the quad cores. I don't have any survey data but I assume more than 65% of android users are still on single core phones.

rish1

Cyborg Agent
^^ I agree. I have also noticed here people recommending phones based on specs. Better specs gives better performance, no doubt but it will not necessarily contribute to overall user experience. Overall user experience is also influenced but the software, the OS, the apps and the customizations done on the OS such as the launcher. E.g: I was feed up buy the lagging performance of my ol' SE phone but when I installed Nova launched, wow it's super smooth. Yesterday I was writing something on whatsapp from a website in my phone browser. I had to switch between apps long pressing the home-button. And that's where I missed the multi-window in few Samsung phones. It would have come handy.

Android can be customized extensively. But to what extent to someone who is not a developer ? Is anyone able to port blinkfed or sense UI or the multiwindow. How far is Moto G customized ?

And as for multi threaded apps, I don't think except a few Games and app, there is a whole lot of multithreaded apps that will make use of the quad cores. I don't have any survey data but I assume more than 65% of android users are still on single core phones.

i agree with you 100 % , i never talked about user experience though.. The OS is fine but these launchers and overloaded less useful features kills the Smoothness.. Moto G is basically a stock UI so it Feels really smooth , while other oem load their skins.. But what i was talking about performance i even read few comments how people were saying Moto g is better than nexus 4 .. that's what i wanted to clear.. Its UI is optimized very well , but it is not extraordinary in performance.. so dont expect better gaming than a nexus 4 or a xperia L ( the discussion started above on vyoms comment on gaming only )

Apps will not depend on How optimized the UI is they will depend on the raw specs only, and OS version..

User Experience will Not depend on Specs .. they will depend upon how optimized the UI Software or the OS is..

Both are equally important..

those suggesting on specs are not completely wrong though..
these all international branded popular Models gets a good community at Xda so you can always be sure about optimization.. hence a better specs phone is preferable for those who can at least read instruction and tinker a bit with their phones ..
Moto G will enjoy a much larger community than Xperia , but xperia m/l community is good enough also with some great ROms and features..

Even if games are multi threaded it won't matter much since they will be driven by GPU .. 2,4,8 core will not make any difference in gaming as there is no bottleneck..

A faster Dual core is so much better than slower quad or octa cores..

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom