Motion Sickness while playing FPS Games.

kamal4883

Broken In
I don't know where to post this but since this is related to games i am posting here. I have a strange problems from beginng of mine introduction of FPS games. If i play Any FPS games i got motion sick. While i dont have this problem if i am actually travelling by bus, train, bike or plane. Why i feel sick when playing fps games?? Due to this problem of mine i am stuck at playing games like Diablo. Any games which has top camera view like diablo, sacred , torchlight etc does not make me sick. I want to know if i am only with this problem or there are people out there having same problem? Is there any solution to this??

I Know this is a really weird question And i should not be asking this in Games section. But i don't know what to do. And i want to discuss with somebody.

cute.bandar

Cyborg Agent
Do you have a 4:3 monitor ? 17inches perhaps ?

I had the same problem in half life 2 with my 17 inch monitor. It got fixed by changing some setting. Google for "headache half life 2" will throw some stuff up.

Hrishi

I have this thing that when I am hungry and try to play games in a long stretch , I feel some sort of choking sensation specially when I play games like darksiders , etc where I have to search for stuffs. Why ??

flyingcow

Shibe
Hmm, I too had this kind of feeling when first played FPS games, I think its totally normal, it went away in 2-3 days. I used to get sudden blackouts and would go on a RAMPAGE in MW2 multiplayer, you just kill like other players are noobs and its your basic instinct lol
Or did you play the game after using computer for a long time?As rishi said this may happen if you are hungry too.

But see a doctor and tell him about it...

Hrishi

Hmm, I too had this kind of feeling when first played FPS games, I think its totally normal, it went away in 2-3 days. I used to get sudden blackouts and would go on a RAMPAGE in MW2 multiplayer, you just kill like other players are noobs and its your basic instinct lol

But see a doctor and tell him about it...

and he'll say STOP Gaming. :p

Krow

Crowman
Nothing weird about this. I've never managed to play FPS games for long stretches. Barring counter strike, I've never played or liked FPS games much.

Do you have the same problems when playing third person shooter games? In which the camera is behind the player?

There is a colossal world of games that are much better than silly Call of Duty and Battlefield franchises. Try role playing games like Mass Effect, The Witcher, Dragon Age Origins, Warhammer 40,000, etc. Then you can play top class Indie games like Super Meat Boy, Binding of Isaac, Braid, VVVVVV, Bastion, etc.

Seriously, FPS titles are massively overrated if you play them for the story or single player campaign.

sam_738844

Wise Old Owl
install unreal tournament GOTY edition, start a practice game in godlike mode "Last Man Standing" with "Tamerlane" in sniper only mod or with "barak" with flak cannon mode, tune game speed to fast, play until you are able to win with at least +10 frag score. You will feel no headache, no motion sickness after that.

sam_738844

Wise Old Owl
i remember back in 2007 november, in our college tech-fest, a open game tournament featured CS, NFSU2 and UT GOTY between other engg colleges nearby, I had a 5 sub-groups (3 players each) clan on my own in my UT group ( i was no good in CS and was drunk driver always).

two of my groups were dummy, they were there to eliminate bottom seeds from other colleges or get scorched , anyway letting us know tactics skills of opponents and have fun. 3 groups including me in one group had people with enormous skills in specific weapons. One of them had same motion sickness to begin with, he was a terrific sniper but moved little. so i got him high on weeds and then trained with pulse gun in high speed close-combat arenas and used his accuracy to play the trick. it worked, he got rid of the MS.

in the finals IIT KGP team thrashed all others including my two other best teams. so it was me my two fellas and their three. Then i met sid, it was best outta three and after a 1-1 my partners dogged-out , sid was hell of a flak monkey as good i was with rockets, i barely pulled the 1-1 (the last kill i did blindly with luck) and we both had the same ego, so for obvious reasons the last match was a dramatic 1 vs 1 showdown with palm sweating, heavy breathing scene...but he chose the wrong arena, he won the toss and chose a low-gravity map :D which i was my bread-butter. i remember after that game, we won the cup and the 1500 Rs, but for 1 and half an year i played neverwinternights only, i could vomit if i played a FPS.

d3p

PowerHouse
I don't know where to post this but since this is related to games i am posting here. I have a strange problems from beginng of mine introduction of FPS games. If i play Any FPS games i got motion sick. While i dont have this problem if i am actually travelling by bus, train, bike or plane. Why i feel sick when playing fps games?? Due to this problem of mine i am stuck at playing games like Diablo. Any games which has top camera view like diablo, sacred , torchlight etc does not make me sick. I want to know if i am only with this problem or there are people out there having same problem? Is there any solution to this??

I Know this is a really weird question And i should not be asking this in Games section. But i don't know what to do. And i want to discuss with somebody.

Well I'm not Physician or in a position to Guide you in that direction by drawing a line between you & your gaming.

But few tips, as i've gone through the same few yrs back.

1). Keep the room, where you game well lit & try to get good air ventilation too. Also make sure the room is clean over time.

2). Avoid Playing for long hours or push yourself to the limits, just because of curiosity. Play in short bursts.

3). Don't crank the Music/Sound sky high. Try to keep it below the average limits over headphones or speakers.

4). Calibrate your screen brightness & contrast according to your room light & condition you play. Higher brightness level causes headache after a certain period of time.

5). Make sure the posture at which you play is correct. Get a good chair, with arm support & table adjusting fulfilling your seating height.

6). Get a health checkup done once in a year. At least eye test would be better.

It would be better if you get in touch with your family doctor or a physician, if the situation doesn't improve.

Last edited:

Zangetsu

I am the master of my Fate.
a guy was dead while playing Warcraft (check in news)
there was a thread on similar problem so it might help OP if he reads that one too

Gen.Libeb

Padawan
I have motion sickness with half life 2

What's it with this game ? I can't play this game continuous for more than 30 minutes. Don't know if its motion sickness or something else, but its definitely not comfortable.

I don't have this problem playing most other fps games.

sam_738844

Wise Old Owl
i dont know about motion sickness...but definitely the graphics of ghost recon future soldier is killing my eyes and i feel sick after playing for sometime (headache), dont know what shd i do with it, its an original copy, and the graphics looks so damn bright and white, i can barely withstand it for half an hour, everything is washed-out :'( can anyone suggest something. already changed gamma to 0, no luck

d3p

PowerHouse
i dont know about motion sickness...but definitely the graphics of ghost recon future soldier is killing my eyes and i feel sick after playing for sometime (headache), dont know what shd i do with it, its an original copy, and the graphics looks so damn bright and white, i can barely withstand it for half an hour, everything is washed-out :'( can anyone suggest something. already changed gamma to 0, no luck

I too had the same case, when playing Homefront, COD Black OPS & II & Spec OPS : The Line. Horrible Audio content & cannot bear it for more than 10mins.
Not not any other game.

snap

Lurker
I have this thing that when I am hungry and try to play games in a long stretch , I feel some sort of choking sensation specially when I play games like darksiders , etc where I have to search for stuffs. Why ??

same thing happens with me sometimes my gameplay begins to deteriorate but if i rest and eat something then its fine:|

Top Bottom