Motherboard for i3 and i5

nightatthe

Right off the assembly line
Hi guys

I am going to build a gaming rig/multimedia pc.I want to build best value for money gaming pc.
I am going to buy either intel core i3 2100 or core i5 2400 cpu. Please suggest me a good motherboard for mentioned cpus.
I will add only one graphic card on it. I prefer intel/gigabyte or msi board.Please suggest for i3 and i5 separately.
budget for board only= 5k to 8k

No amd please (no amd no amd no amd no amd lol)

thanks

d3p

PowerHouse
As you will be adding only one GPU, i suggest the below Motherboards for i5 2400.

1. Gigabyte GA-H61M-D2-B3 - 3.2k @ SMC [Click Here for the direct link]

2. MSI H61M-E23-B3 - 3.5k @ SMC [Click Here for the direct link]

3. Asus P8H61-M LE B3 - 3.5k @ Primeabgb [Click Here for the direct link]

If not then consider buying Gigabyte GA-H67M-D2-B3 - 5.2k @ SMC [Click Here for the direct link]

Spending more than this price range is not worth until unless you OC or go for some SLi or X-Fire.

For other details please fill the below template.

Link

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
I don't think going for H61 mobo and core i3 2100 is a very good idea ;-)

My suggestion is to increase the the budget for the cpu by 1000-1200 bucks and get a core i5 2500k @ 10.5k along with Asus P8P67-M @ 7.9k if you consider a best vfm gaming pc nothing can beat the combo of core i5 2500k+ a P67 mobo ;-)

BTW, what gfx cfard you are getting ?

Tech_Wiz

Wise Old Owl
@OP when you are asking for a Motherboard for i3/i5 no one will ever put any AMD anyway lol :D

I would recommend i5 2400 - 9.3K + Any H67 Mobo which come in range of 6-8K.

OP
N

nightatthe

Thanks all for replying

I think i will get these

core i5 2500 (i dont like overclocking)

Intel Original DH67VR or MSI H67MA-E35(B3), which is better?
I heard h67 boards have problems, is it true?

@topgear, I plan to buy HD 6770 after a month, is it ok?
I have 9400 gt, is it better than inbuilt graphics of core i5?

Are Asus PSU any good? I am getting asus 500 watt really cheap.

ty

d3p

PowerHouse
Never Heard about Asus PSU's till date. [Ignore the noobies statement if available]

For 6770 get atleast FSP Saga II 500w or Corsair GS600 is FTW.

Cilus

laborare est orare
Asus does have some PSU like ASUS A-55GA (550W), ASUS P-55GA (550W) and high end ASUS Vento U-75HA (750W) but I don't know about their availability in Indian market.

There is no problem with H67 chipset alone. Initially there were some problems with both the H67 and P67 motherboards, reducing the life of the SATA 3 ports. But now with B3 revision all the motherboards are free of that problem.

Regarding motherboard, get Intel DH67BL-B3 version. Although build quality of the MSI mobo is better than the Intel DH67VR, it is not required because with H67 chipset overclocking is not possible and the motherboard won't be stressed due to that. So build quality of Intel mobos are highly acceptable.

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
Asus does have some PSU like ASUS A-55GA (550W), ASUS P-55GA (550W) and high end ASUS Vento U-75HA (750W) but I don't know about their availability in Indian market.

There is no problem with H67 chipset alone. Initially there were some problems with both the H67 and P67 motherboards, reducing the life of the SATA 3 ports. But now with B3 revision all the motherboards are free of that problem.

Regarding motherboard, get Intel DH67BL-B3 version. Although build quality of the MSI mobo is better than the Intel DH67VR, it is not required because with H67 chipset overclocking is not possible and the motherboard won't be stressed due to that. So build quality of Intel mobos are highly acceptable.

News for me too. :shock:

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
Never Heard about Asus PSU's till date. [Ignore the noobies statement if available]

For 6770 get atleast FSP Saga II 500w or Corsair GS600 is FTW.

But which ASUS PSU is the OP actually talking about..???

News for me too. :shock:

I think you guys should read these ;-)

ASUS Power Supply Units: Three Models Reviewed - X-bit labs

ASUS Atlas A-45GA 450 W Power Supply Review

ASUS P-50GA 500 W Power Supply Review

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
^^ nice find there - looks like Op likes AMD gpus anyway ;-)

@ nightatthe - HD6770 is good gfx card - you can get it - MSI has one HD6770 Twin Frozr Edition - try to get that ;-)

OP
N

nightatthe

thanks guys
i dont know the model of asus psu but the dealer told me that its 500w and very good.
i am going to buy tomorrow or monday but confused with the graphic card.

@Cilus, i read somewhere u posted that hd 6670 is better than hd 6770.
i was planning to buy hd6770. Please help me to decide.

thanks

Cilus

laborare est orare
I never posted that HD 6670 is better than HD 6770. HD 6670 is based on the new Northern Island architecture and even with its 480 stream processors it performs closer to a HD 6750, based on old Evergreen architecture and having 720 stream processors. But HD 6770 has 800 Evergreen SPs and perform better than HD 6670.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
thanks guys
i dont know the model of asus psu but the dealer told me that its 500w and very good.
i am going to buy tomorrow or monday but confused with the graphic card.

@Cilus, i read somewhere u posted that hd 6670 is better than hd 6770.
i was planning to buy hd6770. Please help me to decide.

thanks

I think your dealer is talking about ASUS P-50GA 500 W Power Supply - just check out the review ( on my previous post ) and see if it's good enough for you.

BTW, how much your Dealer has asked for that 500W power supply ?