Monitor menu pops up randomly

Status
Not open for further replies.

sakumar79

Technomancer
Hi,
My uncle has a HCL monitor (I think 17", and it is probably about 4 years old)...

The computer has a panel of four buttons in the bottom (Exit, Minus, Plus, Menu)... Once the computer is turned on, the monitor menu pops up suddenly, and the contrast/brightness goes up and down in some bizarre fashion... It appears that some internal circuit has fried.

When he called the local service people, they said that they would charge Rs 500 for coming... So, he wants to know whether it will be work having someone come check it out...

Therefore, my question is
1. If the monitor menu board circuits are fried, is it possible to fix it?
2. If possible, how much will it roughly cost and how much time will it take?

Thanks in advance
Arun

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
Hi,
My uncle has a HCL monitor (I think 17", and it is probably about 4 years old)...

The computer has a panel of four buttons in the bottom (Exit, Minus, Plus, Menu)... Once the computer is turned on, the monitor menu pops up suddenly, and the contrast/brightness goes up and down in some bizarre fashion... It appears that some internal circuit has fried.

When he called the local service people, they said that they would charge Rs 500 for coming... So, he wants to know whether it will be work having someone come check it out...

Therefore, my question is
1. If the monitor menu board circuits are fried, is it possible to fix it?
2. If possible, how much will it roughly cost and how much time will it take?

Thanks in advance
Arun
500 to just attend the problem? I would advise him to go in for a new one CRT or LCD is his choice. These problems' fix is not permanent. It will die out sooner or later. Why spend a fortune just to fix it when 17" CRT new can be had for as low as under 3.5k?

clmlbx

Technomancer
I got the problem with my monitor few years ago ( menu appears when ever i start the monitor)...fortunately it was in the warranty.......so I took it to service center ...........it was solved ........and when I asked for the problem he replied this is because of weather:confused: :confused:..........it was in winter too.....

dOm1naTOr

Wise Old Owl
Mostly button problem or some contact problem inside the buttons.
If the warranty is over, then get it to a local service centre nd they ll do it for 50/- in 10 minutes in most cases.
There are less chance of ckt going burnt.

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
PCB would surely be not burnt!! no way! Problem can be in the crt itself. I'm suspecting that since its 4 years old (not that it can be generalized but can be thot as a culprit). hence suggested to go in for new. If it was under 2 years old then i'd haf suggested surely to get it repaired.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom