Mob + Proccy + Ram Combo Req

Tech_Wiz

Wise Old Owl
Budget: 19K

Have a VX450, GTS 250, a 19" LG LCD and a CM Elite Case with 2 HDDs.

Current Proccy: C2D E7300 2.66 GHz
Mobo: Intel DG31PR
Ram: 2GB DDR2 Trancend.

Basically this system is 2 yrs old. Basic use is gaming and Internet thats all.
Want a significant boost in performance.

I am tempted to go for Phenom II V4 970 BE with 8.2K Rs. and 2nd option is i5 variants. (If BE I will Overclock with Stock Cooler a bit)

Can ya guys help choose?

Cilus

laborare est orare
What resolution you are using? If is below 1980X1080 or full HD then your current system is good enough to handle it, just add another 2 GB of ram. Right now no need to go for a full system upgrade.
Wait for few months as a lot of new processors like AMD Bulldozer and Intel Ivy Bridge is gona hit the market.
If you really wanna upgrade then get a Core2Quad 8400 around 6.6-7K and add some more rams.

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
Cilus is right. Just add 2gb RAM. Your CPU-GPU combo is good enough to play at 14x9 res, with high settings. No need for unnecessary upgrade until and unless you are really feeling the pinch.

OP
T

Tech_Wiz

Wise Old Owl
Honestly speaking this one so far has not given any problems to me in anything I threw at it.

But after like 1.5 to 2 yrs I usually start feeling that my PC is outdated :D

Infected by the Upgrade Bug lol... Anyway I will wait for Bulldozer but wont go Intel Most prolly.

OP
T

Tech_Wiz

Wise Old Owl
Kinda AMD Fan Boy and I hate Intel because they make me change Mobo almost everytime I change Proccy :mad:.

AMD Strategy is better option for the regular updaters. Also Already upgraded by system 5 times in last 10 yrs and 3 of them were AMD :D (Damn I miss that Athlon..was a great show off for almost 3 yrs to my Intel Counterparts ;))

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
Kinda AMD Fan Boy and I hate Intel because they make me change Mobo almost everytime I change Proccy :mad:.

AMD Strategy is better option for the regular updaters. Also Already upgraded by system 5 times in last 10 yrs and 3 of them were AMD :D (Damn I miss that Athlon..was a great show off for almost 3 yrs to my Intel Counterparts ;))

:+1:
Where are you? I want to hug you. :))

OP
T

Tech_Wiz

Wise Old Owl
Not opening a separate thread for a small query. :)

Whats the Potential for i5 2400 to OC on Stock Air Cool & Custom Air Cool.

MegaMind

Human Spambot
i5 2400 has locked multipliers & can OC abt 800MHz, with a P67 or Z68 mobo..
For OCing, u should get i5 2500k, which can reach 5.0GHz with a good cooler...

comp@ddict

EXIT: DATA Junkyard
& can OC abt 800MHz,

amazing, that can't be possible. 800Mhz?

I think the max on the best boards the blck goes is from 100 to 107MHz.

Now multiply 7 by a multiplier of 26, we get 182MHz

182MHz on the best boards, that's the OC and even this will be tight.

That's why when somebody asks, I always give a proper idea, 100Mhz is about as much as you can squeeze.

comp@ddict

EXIT: DATA Junkyard
I dunno, I have seen no body else, nor did I see a CPU-Z to confirm.

Sorry man, but no CPU-Z = It did not happen

Intel i5 2400 Overclocking cap? - Overclock.net - Overclocking.net

Top Bottom