Misuse of mobile no.

nac

Aspiring Novelist
Out of curiosity I googled my mobile no. shockingly search results come up with a firm I am not associate with and even worse under contact person, my name is printed. WTF :mad:

Tried to open the link, it's not opening. Is the fake company closed?

Should I worry about this?

Anyone faced like this?

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
I think this is not a huge issue. Sometimes if some mobile number is inactive for a long time the mobile service provider will reclaim that number and release it back to the consumers. This way the number will get activated for someone else but chances are that the original owner of the number might still display that number or their contacts might still have that number.

Same thing happens to me. My number is the same as the number of some restaurant in Goa and sometimes I get wrong number calls from people who wanted to call the restaurant. If I google my number, I can see it displayed for that restaurant as well.

I haven't taken any action since I rarely get a wrong number call intended for that restaurant.

Hrishi

True, but why is his name printed along with his number.

Sent from my ONE E1003 using Tapatalk

OP
nac

nac

Aspiring Novelist
Did some more googling about this...

- There are few complaints on this particular site where the site owner is using others no. and the actual owner asking someone (something like consumer complaints or something) to remove their no. And one of 'em even contacted the company itself to remove his no. but they don't seem to be doing that.
- Found info about site owner, he seems to be running a lot of sites.

Seems like they deliberately using someone's no.
I am using this no. for a decade, so I don't think I am using someone's expired no.

Till date, I haven't received any wrong calls. But can they be using some kinda hack to receive calls/texts? :mad:

OP
nac

nac

Aspiring Novelist
Last week I called my neighbour, apparently he didn't save my number in his Redmi phone. Instead of just showing my number, Redmi showed him a company's name along with my number. Again I am not in any way associate with that company. I don't know how my number gets there under that company name. He guesses that probably that's the name Redmi got in it's database. This is the first time I hear Redmi keeps a record like Truecaller.

Does Redmi keeps a record of all the numbers like Truecaller?
How can I contact Redmi and ask them to remove my number under that name and from their database?
Is this possible to remove my number from Redmi's database and not show my name to anyone for privacy reason?

billubakra

Conversation Architect
Last week I called my neighbour, apparently he didn't save my number in his Redmi phone. Instead of just showing my number, Redmi showed him a company's name along with my number. Again I am not in any way associate with that company. I don't know how my number gets there under that company name. He guesses that probably that's the name Redmi got in it's database. This is the first time I hear Redmi keeps a record like Truecaller.

How can I contact Redmi and ask them to remove my number under that name and from their database?
Is this possible to remove my number from Redmi's database and not show my name to anyone for privacy reason?

Publicly no but you never know.

Since they don't it publicly so you can't do shit but I guess your number links to that company via some other source. Was your neighbor using truecaller or some other app? Do 1 thing, delete your account from truecaller, then unlist your number from truecaller. Wait for atleast a month and then again register on truecaller using your name.

Reactions: nac

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Most likely yes because that is the only way for a dialer app to behave like truecaller.

Ask in Redmi India/asia pacific forums. MIUI Feedback - Mi Community - Xiaomi

Reactions: nac
OP
nac

nac

Aspiring Novelist
Some months back I was watching this film where a character uses Truecaller in a desktop. Until then it didn't strike my mind there could be a web version. Since I am still using a feature phone, thought I can't access Truecaller.
Then I used Truecaller in desktop and found that there is an option to keep our number private and option to not show our name out to public. I did that, and now people who use Truecaller won't see my name in their phone, just my number.
Since they don't it publicly so you can't do shit but I guess your number links to that company via some other source. Was your neighbor using truecaller or some other app? Do 1 thing, delete your account from truecaller, then unlist your number from truecaller. Wait for atleast a month and then again register on Truecaller using your name.
That's a bummer.
Yes, he does use Truecaller. But Truecaller doesn't show my name, just my number.
NO, I don't want to register my number in Truecaller.
Ask in Redmi India/asia pacific forums. MIUI Feedback - Mi Community - Xiaomi
Thank you. I'll do that.
Is the same company name displayed in TrueCaller ?
NO. Truecaller shows just my number.

If people search my number in Truecaller, it would show as something like this
"this number yet to be added"

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Some months back I was watching this film where a character uses Truecaller in a desktop. Until then it didn't strike my mind there could be a web version. Since I am still using a feature phone, thought I can't access Truecaller.
Then I used Truecaller in desktop and found that there is an option to keep our number private and option to not show our name out to public. I did that, and now people who use Truecaller won't see my name in their phone, just my number.
Good info,btw which movie.

OP
nac

nac

Aspiring Novelist
Got a call from a spammer (claiming he's calling from MNC), though suspicious I let that pass.
Caller asked for the company (the one Redmi has it in it's database under my number) and if I am the one who is running it. What surprised me was, they know my name as well. All this while I thought they just had my number, now it seems like my name is also there in their database. Since it's a big MNC, I asked how they got this info. They said it's in their database and asked sorry and hang up the phone.
I searched the number from where I got that call and found it's a spammer.
Don't know how many databases are there out in this world in which me and my number got tied with this company. :(
PS: Sent a request to Redmi.

Top Bottom