Microsoft's 'I'm a PC' campaign created with Macs

Status
Not open for further replies.

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
I'm talking about Dreamscene on 4 Gig RAM. Search any online forum and you'd see 100s of people suggesting to turn of Dreamscene on 4 Gig systems. And still you haven't told how Dreamscene contitutes UI when Fire and Water Drops don't.

If Aero really doesn't affect performance, why does this page exist?

Well so that's a Win boy for us. :D

First, I did not bring Dreamscene into "UI"; it was you. I don't use Dreamscene and don't recommend people to use it. It's a useless feature.

Secondly, where does the page you linked to says that Aero should be disabled to increase performance?

PS: That's my last post on the topic. MS did NOT use Mac; it was the company which has worked with Apple before and even been profiled on Apple.com which made the ads and used Macs. Makes no difference as to what was used to make the ads as long as the ads are good which they are.

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
To me as a user it makes no difference on what the ads were made. To MS, it does; it's a matter of PR for them.

I see the ads on TV, I like the ads, I go buy Microsoft products. But, then there is this irony of sorts that MS or any company can't afford and therefore they need to re-tract such stuff.

As a result of the news that this particular company was working with MS, even Apple removed the company's profile page from their site. It's just business as usual. Giz & Engadget feed on such stuff 'coz there is a wide audience that simply wants to see and show MS in bad for everything and anything that MS does. It's how MS is percieved.

Last edited:

hellknight

BSD init pwns System V
One way or another.. i mean legally or illegally.. Blu-Ray WILL work on Linux.. its our way to combat DRM :D... and secondly.. all you so called hardcore PC (and also console) gamers... you know all the fun which you have while playing a game online is coz its servers are on Linux.. they can handle much. much more stress than a typical Windows based server...

I don't know what Microsoft was thinking while launching Vista Ultimate.. Home Premium has all the nice features.. and Rs. 17,472 (that's Rs. 9500 more) for a crappy Dreamscene, few new sound schemes and the foolish Bit Locker HDD encryption that would only work if a compatible BIOS is found.. what the hell were the guys at Microsoft thinking???...

comp@ddict

EXIT: DATA Junkyard
One way or another.. i mean legally or illegally.. Blu-Ray WILL work on Linux.. its our way to combat DRM :D... and secondly.. all you so called hardcore PC (and also console) gamers... you know all the fun which you have while playing a game online is coz its servers are on Linux.. they can handle much. much more stress than a typical Windows based server...

I don't know what Microsoft was thinking while launching Vista Ultimate.. Home Premium has all the nice features.. and Rs. 17,472 (that's Rs. 9500 more) for a crappy Dreamscene, few new sound schemes and the foolish Bit Locker HDD encryption that would only work if a compatible BIOS is found.. what the hell were the guys at Microsoft thinking???...

That's y i'm sticking 2 XP, better performance, DX10:)D:cool:), so no reason to upgrade for me

goobimama

 Macboy
To me as a user it makes no difference on what the ads were made. To MS, it does; it's a matter of PR for them.
Well obviously for you as a user its not important (A troll would say: Vista will remain just as sucky as it is :p). Just that when MS's ads are going against the Mac, having those ads designed on a Mac is a shame. You may think it doesn't affect anything, but it just shows that the ad agency that MS thinks is best, uses Macs for designing.

-----
And Vista is slow, even on a Core 2 Duo with 2GB RAM which I think is a very modern system. Aero on or off, it doesn't matter.

Last edited:

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
One way or another.. i mean legally or illegally.. Blu-Ray WILL work on Linux.. its our way to combat DRM :D

Means Pirate....right? DVDs were able to play on Linux due to Software only CSS Library. In Blu ray's case it is software & hardware (HDMI). Even if U crack the software, how will u crack the hardware keys? The current methods are based on getting the key used in Blu Ray players...that works but it is again illegal. So, in a way U r saying that Linux users like to do illegal things.

you know all the fun which you have while playing a game online is coz its servers are on Linux.. they can handle much. much more stress than a typical Windows based server...

Lolz...so we are able to play games cos it is running on a Linux server???? Yaar, tell me, HL2 Server runs on what???

Here I agree. Only 2 SKUs were required. Home Edition for $100 & Business edition for other cost. Features like bitlocker are not required on home use

goobimama

 Macboy
Making a backup of an HD movie is illegal? I wonder why they allow AnyDVD HD to be sold then. (honest wondering, not sarcasm)

chandru.in

In the zone
Just to clarify, there is absolutely no technical reason why Blu-Ray movies cannot be played on Linux. It is just that, some stupid laws in certain stupid nations prevent DRM content from being played using open-source software. Thankfully, most members of this forum do not belong to such stupid nations.

Now only closed source software can play DRM content, as most law makers are technically handicapped, and as usual software vendors happily support the monopolist and Linux is not to be blamed here. In fact it makes me wonder why studios do this, when majority of rendering tasks in their own infrastructure is managed by Linux.

*news.softpedia.com/news/Hollywood-Loves-Linux-45571.shtml

Open-source already has solutions for this problem. But it is cumbersome thanks to the handicap of above said law makers. :mad:

*help.ubuntu.com/community/RestrictedFormats/BluRayAndHDDVD

that works but it is again illegal. So, in a way U r saying that Linux users like to do illegal things.
No. My nation does not make stupid laws, so it is not illegal in my nation.

Last edited:

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
what laws you all are talking about, thepiratebay ?
sweden ?
laws are handicapped ! Twisted to milk out everything from you !

And for linux, its not marketed like apple or MS. its not owned by any company as such.

So you are now targeting users, i mean end users. Lolz. Guess you did find anything better.

Piracy was not born out of nothing. Indeed its the genuine users who suffer now.

You guys really like to see a Ghost in the Shell....soon. lolz

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
Well obviously for you as a user its not important (A troll would say: Vista will remain just as sucky as it is :p). Just that when MS's ads are going against the Mac, having those ads designed on a Mac is a shame. You may think it doesn't affect anything, but it just shows that the ad agency that MS thinks is best, uses Macs for designing.
Same as it is shameful for Apple that a company that has worked with them and been profiled with them is now working for MS in an attempt to combat the famed Get a Mac commercials. So it works both ways.

goobimama

 Macboy
Same as it is shameful for Apple that a company that has worked with them and been profiled with them is now working for MS in an attempt to combat the famed Get a Mac commercials. So it works both ways.
How is this shameful for Apple? The company is not owned by Apple, and they are free to work for whomever they choose. Seriously man, you are depleted of brain juice these days.

@T: And I'm only talking about the digg system. Cause its harmless. That philosophy doesn't apply to other scenarios.

I am not intrested in this stupid comparison thing, but yeah, compiz fusion rocks. It seriously does. Sure, all these plugins you have seen may be cheap eyecandy, but thats because you never bothered to look at the right plugins. There are several which greatly enhance productivity. You just need to look in the right places. Thats linux - its there, but only for those who seek it.

If you don't like having too many customisability options, don't like making decisions everywhere, and if you want to be told what to do, I suggest you please stop. Linux is definitely not for you. Kindly use Microsoft or Apple operating systems and leave us alone.

And now lets please get ontopic. For those who want to compare their OS' UI with other people's OS' UI, another thread can be started.

OP
Pat

Pat

Beyond Smart

I had decided to stay away from posting again on this topic. But your post made me LOL :lol:

kumarmohit

Technomancer
what laws you all are talking about, thepiratebay ?
sweden ?
laws are handicapped ! Twisted to milk out everything from you !

And for linux, its not marketed like apple or MS. its not owned by any company as such.

So you are now targeting users, i mean end users. Lolz. Guess you did find anything better.

Piracy was not born out of nothing. Indeed its the genuine users who suffer now.

You guys really like to see a Ghost in the Shell....soon. lolz

Before I go further let me clarify that I am not justifying piracy. I am giving opinion on current legal situation in India with regard to torrents.

Actually Torrents are not illegal in India because piracy happens when you distribute things without rights. What needs to be considered is that distribution is what matters not mere downloading. Along with that the same logic which protects Pirate Bay in Sweden, it also protects Pirate Bay in India. Pirate bay is NOT distributing. The Make Available clause of DMCA is what makes torrents illegal. But 'make available' clause ot for that matter the DMCA is not applicable anywhere except USA or in countries which have similar regulations British seems to have one, so are the Swiss. Canadians have such a law in works but not in India!

More than that torrents have a number of legal uses which means that neither technology nor its use amounts to piracy. It is a loop hole in the law. It may not last long and legislators will wise up.

Kl@w-24

Slideshow Bob
Before I go further let me clarify that I am not justifying piracy. I am giving opinion on current legal situation in India with regard to torrents.

Actually Torrents are not illegal in India because piracy happens when you distribute things without rights. What needs to be considered is that distribution is what matters not mere downloading. Along with that the same logic which protects Pirate Bay in Sweden, it also protects Pirate Bay in India. Pirate bay is NOT distributing. The Make Available clause of DMCA is what makes torrents illegal. But 'make available' clause ot for that matter the DMCA is not applicable anywhere except USA or in countries which have similar regulations British seems to have one, so are the Swiss. Canadians have such a law in works but not in India!

More than that torrents have a number of legal uses which means that neither technology nor its use amounts to piracy. It is a loop hole in the law. It may not last long and legislators will wise up.

I think the bureaucracy in India is not even aware of the phenomenon called torrents :D
We can all sleep peacefully :rolleyes:

The Conqueror

Elevating Humanity
Microsoft's 'I'm a PC' campaign created with Macs
So,Whats the Big Deal?Can't they use any OS they want? Is it necessary that they should run ONLY Windows?
Suppose,You make a recipe, will you eat ONLY The recipe that you made? I'm sure you will taste other recipes too.The thing is there is no need to make such issues about small things..And please stop the Linux vs Windows vs MAC Wars :|

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom