Microsoft's 'I'm a PC' campaign created with Macs

Status
Not open for further replies.

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
Not only the graphic designers do prefer mac for the clean interface man. The Mac screens (LCD TFTs that come with Macbook and iMac) are great with a damn good color reproduction and they are greatly calibrated, thus a boon for the designers. And for the video editing jobs, there is still no match for Final Cut Pro in Windows or Linux.

I do agree that Final Cut Pro is a top class product for graphic work.

There are much better displays than mac screens eg: Dell and Samsung 30"+ HD monitors.

Let's not go there.

The topic is about MS ad designed by ad agency on mac.

Those graphic designers used mac and they aren't MS employees.

Can you say that nobody on earth will use MS office on mac?? It's one of the top selling apps on mac too.

That doesn't mean that you go on ga ga over it.

Why the hell is some individual preference over an OS for making advertisement is related to Microsoft. It's a ****ing ad agency. They will go bankrupt if they take clients policies into their work.

If that is the case, they will be doing OS and tool reinstalled every week, spending more time installing/uninstalling apps and O/ses than working.

What is important is the end result. They did a good job.

Take a look at this: *store.apple.com/us/browse/home/shop_mac/software?mco=MTE4MDk

MS OFFICE IS SECOND IN TOP SELLING SOFTWARE FOR APPLE MACS.

Do you have any answer for that? That's coz people prefer office over apple's suite for that work, prefer winodws for home and office use. Similarly, those developers prefer Final Cut Pro on a mac for video rendering etc.

chandru.in

In the zone
Yes. As far as eye candy is concerned, Vista is much better than any Linux distro out there.
Could you please tell me how to retain Vista's eye candy, without greatly losing performance on laptops with <=1GB RAM and <= 128 MB Video RAM.

All of Ubuntu's eye candy can be used happily on a system with 512 MB RAM and 64 MB Video RAM (tested personally on an old Thinkpad with on board Intel Graphis) without hitting performance badly.

debsuvra

is NOT a PC/Mac
Do you have any answer for that? That's coz people prefer office over apple's suite for that work, prefer winodws for home and office use. Similarly, those developers prefer Final Cut Pro on a mac for video rendering etc.

WTH man ? Do u trying to say that I was acting like a Apple fanboy rather than finding some obvious flaws with MS ? Then why the hell on earth I said this ?

After using all of the OS (Windows, Mac OS X and Linux) for quite some time, still I am using Windows Vista for all of my productivity tasks.

BTW with backing MS so harshly everytime, I think you surely qualified as an active MS fanboy. :D I dont use Mac OS X now and neither I have a Mac anywhere with me. I just pointed out some good points on using a Mac, when there are several minus points too. Since the photos used in the 'I'm a PC' ads are edited in a Mac, I stated about the advantages of Mac in Image editing. A good thing about the Apple's 'I'm a Mac' ads that they were innovative and funny rather than dealing with very serious, they did not bashed MS harshly as u people are doing for MS now. The ads were meant to make Macs look cool, cooler than a PC and thats it. Microsoft is now directly doing the same against Apple without some innovativeness. Actually it is not us, the forum members who is starting the flame war here, it is already started between MS and Apple thorugh their respective ads. BTW the Windowswithoutwalls initiative is better than the rest now, but looks somewhat similar to the older Apple ads of 'Think Different'. I dont think MS is dead or soon going to be dead as some fools are spreading this through the web. Apple cant overthrow MS so easily by just making a rise in the MB sales. But since MS is better, I expect something better than the rest from them, something better that can outshine the others keeping our mouthshut.

Could you please tell me how to retain Vista's eye candy, without greatly losing performance on laptops with <=1GB RAM and <= 128 MB Video RAM.

All of Ubuntu's eye candy can be used happily on a system with 512 MB RAM and 64 MB Video RAM (tested personally on an old Thinkpad with on board Intel Graphis) without hitting performance badly.

What do u think man ? Eye candy means only the damn rotating cube showing some Virtual Desktops ? Windows Vista does have more pleasant UI with perfect blend of AERO with usefullness, not something made entirely for showbiz.

Last edited:

hellknight

BSD init pwns System V
@iMav... mere bhai.. you know when the DVD's came out it was said that they couldn't be played on Linux.. they run perfactly.. and same will be the case of the Blu-Ray discs too.. they'll also run.. without any problem.. and regarding games.. Doom 3, Quake 4 etc.. one of the biggest or should I say.. the grand-daddy (Doom 3) of FPS.. runs natively on Linux.. without any problem.. so HD movies and games are not a problem on Linux.. it depends on the publishers if they want to design games for the Linux platform or not..

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
Baah... another flame war! I was missing this ever since Prakash disappeared!

PS :Ok.. Ok.. I know its offtopic. I do not want to post anything here as I can already see an OS war round the corner...

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
And I thought there was some hope !
lool but accepting reality is out of question.

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
WTH man ? Do u trying to say that I was acting like a Apple fanboy rather than finding some obvious flaws with MS ? Then why the hell on earth I said this ?

I was not referring to what you said. I haven't read what you said. I am talking about that article on appleinsider and everyone getting excited about it.

It is for Video & good only in some scenarios. When it comes to real time broadcast, it is not the best.

I said it is a top class product but didn't say that it is the best :)

kumarmohit

Technomancer
WTH People, the first thread I open in the morning is this, Taste hi kharab kar diya muh ka!

Any way - So what if and agency made its ads for Windows on a Mac. A number of Closed source software is developed on open source platforms (without using the code) and the other way round. No one gives a rat's a$$.

Why make such a big issue out of this! The thing is that people have to get their jobs (Not Jobs :) )done and how they do it is not really a big deal. Besides they are Ads! Man when we have started to go all postal on ads, it is time that all of us took a break and do some rethinking!

chandru.in

In the zone
What do u think man ? Eye candy means only the damn rotating cube showing some Virtual Desktops ? Windows Vista does have more pleasant UI with perfect blend of AERO with usefullness, not something made entirely for showbiz.
The very concept of Virtual Desktop is a huge productivity gain. The rotating cube makes it a bit more easier to understand for people coming from OSes which did not bother to implement it (Mac OS X and Windows) until recently.

And please tell me some of the so called useful features of Aero which Compiz does not provide still being a far less resource hog!

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
@iMav... mere bhai.. you know when the DVD's came out it was said that they couldn't be played on Linux.. they run perfactly.. and same will be the case of the Blu-Ray discs too.. they'll also run.. without any problem.. and regarding games.. Doom 3, Quake 4 etc.. one of the biggest or should I say.. the grand-daddy (Doom 3) of FPS.. runs natively on Linux.. without any problem.. so HD movies and games are not a problem on Linux.. it depends on the publishers if they want to design games for the Linux platform or not..
Bluray movies won't play on Linux. No same way no nothing. The only way Bluray will play on Linux is when someone cracks it.

And 2 games, you list 2 games out the millions that are there. Awesome!

PS: Compiz is the crappiest thing in Linux. If poeple think even for a second that some fire effects & water dropplets make for UI, then your concpet of what constitutes UI is flawed. ;)

chandru.in

In the zone
PS: Compiz is the crappiest thing in Linux. If poeple think even for a second that some fire effects & water dropplets make for UI, then your concpet of what constitutes UI is flawed.
And you decided to look at just 2 plug-ins of compiz and give out a war cry. Can you tell me how exactly dreamscene constitutes UI then? Or should your definition of UI suddenly change to justify it? :p

And still no MS fanboy wants to explain the resource hogging nature of Aero. Every time a Vista user posts about slow performance of their laptops the first thing suggested in most forums is, "Have you disabled Aero?" and "Have you disabled Dreamscene?". So much for better eye candy. :rolleyes:

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
^^huh. here it starts again. Thread is about MS ad designed on a mac.

@chandru.in, take a look at this video:
*tv.truenuff.com/mac/gaming.php

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
And still no MS fanboy wants to explain the resource hogging nature of Aero. Every time a Vista user posts about slow performance of their laptops the first thing suggested in most forums is, "Have you disabled Aero?" and "Have you disabled Dreamscene?". So much for better eye candy.
The solution is wrong, yes Dreamscene affects performance on machines with 512MB RAM but switching off Aero will have NO difference on the computer's performance.

@Goobi well that's Lin boys for you. :D

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
LOL. donno why you are looking at it through telescope.
I’m pretty sure most of you have no idea what the sentences you write mean. There is no word called “donno” and what does a telescope have to do in a thread about PCs and Linux?

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
^^ LOLZ.

It's a metaphor (giving too much thought for useless thing) .

There is a also a saying in telugu "goorantha danni kondantha cheesi choopinchadam"

Which means "showing a nail sized problem as a mountain size problem".

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
And you decided to look at just 2 plug-ins of compiz and give out a war cry.

I have used Compiz on my Workstation & despite of OpenGL 2.1 based GPU, the quality of Compiz is much lower then Aero. For example, the text in thumbnail preview is not clear & it looks like they made a 32X32 pixel preview & stretched it while in Vista it is very clear.

And still no MS fanboy wants to explain the resource hogging nature of Aero

R U still living in 2005?

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
^^Do you really think that we need to explain those things to someone who is not in a position to hear. Ignore them dude. let them shout. It's not gonna make any difference.

Whenever those linux boys bug with those silly posts, watch this video: *tv.truenuff.com/mac/gaming.php

PS: we don't want to you waste your time on replying to those useless posts but we want more of your tutorials to appear on digit mag :)

Last edited:

chandru.in

In the zone
All those blaming Linux users, open your eyes and see the person I have quoted in my first post in this thread. It was posted by iMav one of the well-known MS supporter here.

Seems like people here always ignore the root cause of the war and blindly blame Linux users. There have been instances of this before in this forum where a Linux user has been banned because he fought back an abusive post but iMav who abused us first got away clean just because he deleted his post after we had enough time to read and suffer it. :x

For example, the text in thumbnail preview is not clear & it looks like they made a 32X32 pixel preview & stretched it while in Vista it is very clear.
Can you please post a screenshot along with the actual dimensions if the file whose thumbnail it is?

R U still living in 2005?
No I'm not. In 2008, I call a system with Dual core CPU and a Gig of RAM, good enough for productive office automation, browsing, e-mailing and software development. Vista is just too damn slow if all the eye candies are enabled

The solution is wrong, yes Dreamscene affects performance on machines with 512MB RAM but switching off Aero will have NO difference on the computer's performance.

@Goobi well that's Lin boys for you. :D

Yes. As far as eye candy is concerned, Vista is much better than any Linux distro out there.

I'm talking about Dreamscene on 4 Gig RAM. Search any online forum and you'd see 100s of people suggesting to turn of Dreamscene on 4 Gig systems. And still you haven't told how Dreamscene contitutes UI when Fire and Water Drops don't.

If Aero really doesn't affect performance, why does this page exist?

Well so that's a Win boy for us. :D

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom