Microsoft's 'I'm a PC' campaign created with Macs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pat

Beyond Smart
Metadata found on Microsoft's creative copy used in its 'I'm a PC' ad reveals that the graphics were actually produced using Macs running Adobe Creative Suite 3. After the details were published on the Flickr photo sharing site, Microsoft scrambled to polish off the embarrassing details last night

Read More:
*www.appleinsider.com/articles/08/09/19/microsofts_im_a_pc_campaign_created_with_macs.html

comp@ddict

EXIT: DATA Junkyard
You won't believe it, but I just read this article and was considering a thread, and bang!!, it was already there

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
First of all, it is not Microsoft who has made the ads. The ads are made by a company which was even profiled on APple.com but ever since SeattlePi reported that they were doing the Microsoft campaign, Apple removed the page.

So what ?

The real issue is that MS still thinks they are in the late 1980s to the early 1990s, when PCs meant IBM Computers running Microsoft DOS or Microsoft Windows only. Today, PCs mean any computer which is compact and based on the x86(_64) architecture, including models from not just IBM (which has actually quit PC business), but also HP, Dell, and even Apple.

And yeah, what if its created with macs ?

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
The real issue is that MS still thinks they are in the late 1980s to the early 1990s, when PCs meant IBM Computers running Microsoft DOS or Microsoft Windows only. Today, PCs mean any computer which is compact and based on the x86(_64) architecture, including models from not just IBM (which has actually quit PC business), but also HP, Dell, and even Apple.
eh? What? Sometime you say, Microsoft thinks everyone uses 4 GB RAM and they create OS that does not run on 10 year old computers, now you say that they think as if they are in 1980s. :? :lol: Decide what you want to say and STICK TO IT.

Oh damn. I just read your sig. :lol: I can understand why such replies from you. :lol:

Last edited:
eh? What? Sometime you say, Microsoft thinks everyone uses 4 GB RAM and they create OS that does not run on 10 year old computers, now you say that they think as if they are in 1980s. :? :lol: Decide what you want to say and STICK TO IT.
Say that to microsoft. Their mentality is located back when Billy uncle looked good, while their products are designed for computers bought tomorrow.

mehra.rakesh

Journeyman
@ imav :: In 1990's when other companies were perfecting better software to be run on machines of that time . M$ made released sw like word & 3.1 which had higher requirements ... they simply didn't care about the hw requirements like others for all their sw ..
I call that brilliant marketing strat that didn't fail(u may call it whatever u want to).. Other cos like wordstar & others were driven out of market coz mainly business users had access to pc at that time . they had the money & so cud afford it .

This doesn't work todayyy ... I mean as a home user wud u really go out & buy winvista instead of XP or linux . especially given the hw requirements ... & all that 4 eye candy .... HAHAHA

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
This doesn't work todayyy ... I mean as a home user wud u really go out & buy winvista instead of XP or linux . especially given the hw requirements ... & all that 4 eye candy ....
Yes. As far as eye candy is concerned, Vista is much better than any Linux distro out there. Second of all, a home user plays games; watches HD movies; listens to songs legaly purchased from the internet. All this can't be done on a Linux. So your argument about bringing Linux in is kinda flawed.

Please don't deviate this topic. You want to start a new flame war, be my guest, I have done this a thousand times and don't mind pwning another Linux evangelist. But, not in this thread.

As far as hardware requirements go, which laptop today comes with 512 MB RAM? And I am not talking about those good for nothing stupid EEEPC and similar junk.

Go to the market and see what Vista has done for hardware manufacturers. It has got them to drop prices of RAM; processor etc. so much that anyone who buys a desktop today easily affords a C2D, why? Because there is a demand created by Vista and as a result the companies have reduced prices 'cause they can afford to.

When you want to play a game you don't yap about how high the config is, but rather plan on to purchase the next best GPU that you can afford. So this hardware & cost argument has become old. Today anyone whobuys a computer CAN afford a C2D & 2GB RAM.

@metal I am dead sure you will come in here at this point with your "I can't buy a C2D & 2GB RAM" and yada yada yada. You use Linux be happy with it. You don't play games; enjoy your life; you don't watch HD, be cool; you don't use & purchase from the iTunes store, live your life.

I do and I love Vista for being able to do all this, efficiently I might add.

debsuvra

is NOT a PC/Mac
I do not want to join the initiative of yet another flame war here. But still I think it hurts somewhere to MS that many productive users are using Macs now to get their jobs done instead of using a Windows based PC. Macbook Pro sales are roaring with an all-time high. And when MS's own advertisement campaign, directly aimed against Apple Macs are created using Macs, it does create a weird feelings among the users of both. I dont know who has the highest market share between professional designers, but MS just need to have something more charismatic than it presently holds.

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
Metadata found on Microsoft's creative copy used in its 'I'm a PC' ad reveals that the graphics were actually produced using Macs running Adobe Creative Suite 3. After the details were published on the Flickr photo sharing site, Microsoft scrambled to polish off the embarrassing details last night

Read More:
*www.appleinsider.com/articles/08/09/19/microsofts_im_a_pc_campaign_created_with_macs.html

Is that a big deal???

Arey, do you think all those models and actresses giving ads for Lux soap use Lux soap for their bath???

And people getting excited by this news. LOLZ.

Apple used FreeBSD kernel for mac
Apple ipod design itself was copied from expired patent.
First Apple computer's GUI was taken from Xerox ocmpany.

Did anyone cry over that?? Is a MS ad designed on a mac by independent ad agency bigger than those three??

NO.

I do not want to join the initiative of yet another flame war here. But still I think it hurts somewhere to MS that many productive users are using Macs now to get their jobs done instead of using a Windows based PC. Macbook Pro sales are roaring with an all-time high. And when MS's own advertisement campaign, directly aimed against Apple Macs are created using Macs, it does create a weird feelings among the users of both. I dont know who has the highest market share between professional designers, but MS just need to have something more charismatic than it presently holds.

The majority of windows sales is from home users and from office workstations.

Please don't bring graphics work thing into this.

AFAIk, in USA, graphic designers and writers of articles/books prefer mac due to the clean interface as all that they need is a PC and one application (and they have money to spend).

But for home/office/gaming/schools/colleges, they are nowhere near windows PC's (price and features taken into account) and that is the prime reason for MS dominance.

Last edited:
OP
Pat

Pat

Beyond Smart
Man..Hats off to all fanboys! Instead of accepting that it was terrible gaffe and moving on, you people have to defend it. Awesome :)

So lets put this into perspective: Microsoft wants to convince its customers to buy a PC by making its ads (what if it is an external agency) on a Mac. Great.

A nice comment I read somewhere:

"I think I can see the next Apple commercial. PC sitting down in front of an iMac making his new "I'm a PC" commercial." :D

Last edited:

unni

In the zone
Yes. As far as eye candy is concerned, Vista is much better than any Linux distro out there. Second of all, a home user plays games; watches HD movies; listens to songs legaly purchased from the internet. All this can't be done on a Linux.

You use Linux be happy with it. You don't play games; enjoy your life; you don't watch HD, be cool; you don't use & purchase from the iTunes store, live your life.
Does this mean all the HD videos given in Digit DVD so far are fake?

I did a Mojave experiment with my Linux distro on my room mates saying that it is Vista. They totally believed and said that it looks wonderful. When I finally told them that it is actually Linux, they didn't believe me till I showed them the terminal and such other things that one normally associate Linux with.

Regarding games, I play GTA Vice City on Linux using Wine. So far it is working perfectly fine.

What about sites like Amazon for purchasing music (I have never bought anything from Internet though)?

I do and I love Vista for being able to do all this, efficiently I might add.
If you look at the requirements specified for some of the games, one wouldn't say that about Vista. For example, the minimum RAM requirement for Cyrsis is 1 GB for XP & 1.5 GB for Vista.

By the way, this is my first contribution in a flame war, couldn't help posting it after reading the above lines (in quote). :)

Last edited:

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
So this is what it has come to. Games on Wine run as good as they do on Windows. Great! Oh and BTW please tell me you can download songs via iTunes on your iPod from your Linux. I'd like to try that on Ubuntu.

HD Movies - Bluray in specific. H.264 & DivX on HD resolutions work on Linux. But, AFAIK Bluray isn't Linux compatible and neither was HD-DVD. Correct me if I am wrong on this.

debsuvra

is NOT a PC/Mac
Arey, do you think all those models and actresses giving ads for Lux soap use Lux soap for their bath???

So in accordance to the previous comment, we can say the following :

Arey, do you think all those models and actresses giving ads for Windows use Windows for their computing???

and this is true for Mac and Linux also (if there are some linux ads) :D

The majority of windows sales is from home users and from office workstations.

Please don't bring graphics work thing into this.

AFAIk, in USA, graphic designers and writers of articles/books prefer mac due to the clean interface as all that they need is a PC and one application (and they have money to spend).

But for home/office/gaming/schools/colleges, they are nowhere near windows PC's (price and features taken into account) and that is the prime reason for MS dominance.

Not only the graphic designers do prefer mac for the clean interface man. The Mac screens (LCD TFTs that come with Macbook and iMac) are great with a damn good color reproduction and they are greatly calibrated, thus a boon for the designers. And for the video editing jobs, there is still no match for Final Cut Pro in Windows or Linux.

Yes. As far as eye candy is concerned, Vista is much better than any Linux distro out there.

I agree with that. Linux distros are still not match for Vista's default AERO. Graphical interface in stock Linux installation is not quite up to the mark as of Vista and the struggle with default fonts (jagged edges, no use of anti-aliasing) when surfing the web is really annoying.

After using all of the OS (Windows, Mac OS X and Linux) for quite some time, still I am using Windows Vista for all of my productivity tasks. But that does not mean that I am going to hide some real plus points of using a Mac over Windows in some areas (not so many ;))

Last edited:

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
Not only the graphic designers do prefer mac for the clean interface man. The Mac screens (LCD TFTs that come with Macbook and iMac) are great with a damn good color reproduction and they are greatly calibrated, thus a boon for the designers. And for the video editing jobs, there is still no match for Final Cut Pro in Windows or Linux.

Ahem......what?

I have been working in a Studio here in Delhi since the last 4 months & we work here on Windows platform using Adobe Technologies. One of our client who was using FCP since 8 years has now switched to Adobe Premiere Pro, Encore DVD & After effect for all there work.

Professional do use FCP etc but it is not due to the LCD Monitor of Mac (that is the lamest reason I have ever heard). Today the 24" LCD Monitor from Dell are based on SIPS Panel which provides true 16 bit color gamut & real HD resolution. Infact I have seen studios working here with Mac Pro & still using Dell or Samsung monitors, manually calibarated.

The days of Mac being good for graphics work is over, now Windows is equally good if not better.

comp@ddict

EXIT: DATA Junkyard
Oye, I agree VIsta suks, but Mac is just not too popular, and there's hell lotta probs in it too.....
I'm just happy wid XP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom