Microsoft Working on 128-bit Windows

Status
Not open for further replies.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
That's a lot of bits.

Just before the world receives Windows 7, there are already rumblings of a generation-after-next version of Windows that will come in a 128-bit flavor.

Eightforums spotted in Microsoft Senior Research & Development employee Robert Morgan's LinkedIn profile that he was working IA-128 for the next two generations of Windows.

The update to Morgan's profile, which has since been removed, read as follows:

"Robert Morgan is working to get IA-128 working backwards with full binary compatibility on the existing IA-64 instructions in the hardware simulation to work for Windows 8 and definitely Windows 9."

While progress is no surprise, especially since many expect that 64-bit will become the majority for Windows 7, it's somewhat of a revelation if 128-bit software will be available just one generation from now.

Stay tuned, as Morgan has agreed to a short Q&A with Eightforums. We'll be recapping the best bits for you as soon as they're available.

*www.tomshardware.com/news/windows-7-128bit-next-generation,8827.html

x3060

A LOTR fan
hmm...even the 64 bit has lot ....A LOT to catch up , and they are thinking of 128 bit . :(

Techn0crat

RPG FTW!!!
"The x86-64 architecture, however, doesn’t use all 64 bits for memory addresses—it uses 48, making the total addressable memory 256 terabytes" -June 2008 Twice As Nice by Nimish Chandiramani

We are still not using complete 64 Bit architecture.128 Bit is just BS! unless you want to use that PC for brute force password cracking :D

sakumar79

Technomancer
Possibly true, but I am sure that if the Linux community or the people at Apple had started this, everybody would have wow-ed instead...

Arun

OP
topgear

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
^^ May be...

But as of now it's just overkill for desktop users. Most of'em using 32 bit. But indeed 64 bit is future for desktop users and 128 will find it's way in server market as I think there will be very little apps support for 128 bit and on the other hand it will feature tighter security features needed for server side usage.

BTW, there is no 128bit cpu's yet - so even server side users will not get the full potential out of this 128 bit wonder :p

x3060

A LOTR fan
solaris has 128 bit, but regardless of who is having , i think its just a waist , 64 bit has not even become a regular thing on windows or linux... and in any cases who ever is working on 128 bit is doing their homework wrong... first lets get the 64 thing up and running, then we can think about rest.

Krow

Crowman
Yeah, x64 is something I'll install for the first time tomorrow and when again, why would I need it unless they give it for free?

Cool G5

Conversation Architect
My friend some 6 months ago, installed a pirated version of Windows XP 64 Bit but then he had to remove it since getting drivers for 64 Bit were pain since he didn't had a net connection.
He is now back on pirated Windows Vista 32 Bit :D

Last edited:

vaithy

In the zone
My friend some 6 months installed a pirated version of Windows XP 64 Bit but then he had to remove it since getting drivers for 64 Bit were pain since he didn't had a net connection.
He is now back on pirated Windows Vista 32 Bit :D

HeH..Heh..

(off the topic)
It is amazing 'from the Dark tunnels of Internet underground how the pirates are moving very fast and lethal force.."

But, as a true open source admirer, I don't support Pirates(especially 'windows loaders.. because they are the one who kill 'open source' way..

GigaHeartz

Off the beaten track
comeon people you are speculating on the roumour about his profile.. lol.. man tomorrow i will write i am working on a pocket size nuclear power which can take me to mars.. will u belive it?..this is ridiculous..

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
Although there is no confirmation of this, progress is never wasted.

128bit architecture may not be required in a general desktop but on server & High performance super computing side, it is required in next few years. A higher bit architecture doesn't only means more RAM addressing support, it also means that the CPU can do more work per clock then before, which bring more efficiency per watt... something crucial for a good server/data center usage.

Techn0crat

RPG FTW!!!
gxsaurav is right.but 128 bit systems might be under developement(excluding ZFS) and they will stay in server market only.as completely 64-bit system is still not in market and unnecessary for regular desktop users,128-bit Windows is a ridiculous idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom